Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: What does the Crimson Mantle’s aging block do?

Presumably he destroys the phylactery first?

It's likely he believes that if Xykon is destroyed before that then he most likely will have been killed, and in that situation someone else will deal with the phylactery.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler: A rich, detailed, exhaustive exploration of what Redloak's plans if Xykon is destroyed before the ritual.
    Show
    Find another wizard.
    "Did...did you just call me a wizard? Meteor Swarm!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "Did...did you just call me a wizard? Meteor Swarm!"
    It's not my fault he's never been late.
    Cuthalion's avatars rock. Like this very fine dragon he made me.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Yeah the thing I was most curious about is what Redcloak plans to do if Xykon is destroyed before they cast the ritual. They did almost get taken out by the defenses at Soon's gate.
    Lose his mind over the fact that he
    Spoiler
    Show
    killed his little brother
    for squat.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

5. - Top - End - #245
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

He has to help keep Xykon alive (such as healing him) up until the exact point the ritual is completed -- because once it is, Xykon will instantly know he's been deceived.

Thus, no reason to keep around the phylactery.

again, no clue how the Order comes into play

6. - Top - End - #246
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Lose his mind over the fact that he
    Spoiler
    Show
    killed his little brother
    for squat.
    Yeah; I was just thinking about how he'd deal with Xykon regenerating into a phylactery that is definitely not in is astral fortress, but I doubt the comic will end without Redcloak having one hell of a mental breakdown. What bearing that will have on Durkon's mission to parley with him, idk

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    If Xykon is destroyed before the Plan is completed, he's not going to respawn in the Astral Fortress -- and he'll instantly know that Redcloak has betrayed him. Once Xykon realizes that, Redcloak has to get rid of him ASAP.
    Or... Redcloak can cast Plane Shift, and place the real phylactery were Xykon supposes it to be.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Or... Redcloak can cast Plane Shift, and place the real phylactery were Xykon supposes it to be.
    Cool, he'll be 5-500 miles away from the fortress. Even if he showed up at the front door, it'd be more time to get the ohylaxtrt to where Xykon put it than it takes Xykon's soul to get into the phylactery (which is instantaneous). Also, Reddy dish know where in the fortress it's supposed to be in any event.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Redcloak can cast gate, too. I wonder if he has a scroll for that.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Cool, he'll be 5-500 miles away from the fortress. Even if he showed up at the front door, it'd be more time to get the ohylaxtrt to where Xykon put it than it takes Xykon's soul to get into the phylactery (which is instantaneous). Also, Reddy dish know where in the fortress it's supposed to be in any event.
    And even if all those things weren't a deal breaker already, that's assuming Redcloak can freely enter the fortress on his own, effectively without Xykon. Which I find unlikely.
    ungelic is us

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

ohylaxtrt
    My phone's autocorrect just gives up sometimes, too.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    My phone's autocorrect just gives up sometimes, too.
    Blarg. I'm leaving that unchanged. If I ever get up a game with you, Aveline, and Fyraltari, that'll be the name of the villain.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I’m sold.

Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Which, while useful, unfortunately doesn't answer the question of, "Would Xykon know if his phylactery were destroyed?" Not suffering harm from its destruction doesn't mean he won't know if its destroyed.

Otherwise, sure, drop it into Mt. Doom or whatever. (I wonder if the Gnomes' Municipal Waste Disposal firepit could do it, if a bunch of the protective aberrations were dispelled off the phylactery beforehand?)

Have we ever determined just how powerful the arcane caster has to be to cast The Ritual? I know RedCloak tried to get Xykon/Jirix to think that RedCloak was thinking Tsukiko might have tried it, but could she? Could V do it?
    It really doesn't matter if dropping the phylactery into lava would destroy it, as long as it has a high enough damage output to keep Xykon from regenerating. Does DR apply while regenerating? I'll just assume that regenerating takes 5 days (the average) and DR applies. DR 15, total immersion in lava is 20d6... yeah that's probably keeping him dead. 5-225 damage per round, taking into account DR, and assuming HP and max HP return linearly during regeneration, and that Xykon is 21st level, he has a maximum of 252 HP (lich gives him d12 HD), which can be dealt within 2 rounds of lava immersion. It would almost certainly kill Xykon. (wait would he be immune to fire as a lich?) (no, just cold, electricity, polymorph, and mind-affecting attacks)
    Last edited by NoHaxJustPi; 2019-04-20 at 11:15 AM.
    My philosophies: "That's a problem for future me!" and "Darn it, past me!"

Quote Originally Posted by NoHaxJustPi View Post
    wanting to know everything is a blessing and a curse
    mostly just a curse

15. - Top - End - #255
    Firbolg in the Playground

Does DR apply while regenerating? I'll just assume that regenerating takes 5 days (the average) and DR applies. DR 15, total immersion in lava is 20d6... yeah that's probably keeping him dead. 5-225 damage per round, taking into account DR, and assuming HP and max HP return linearly during regeneration, and that Xykon is 21st level, he has a maximum of 252 HP (lich gives him d12 HD), which can be dealt within 2 rounds of lava immersion.
    Damage reduction doesn't apply against energy damage.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It really doesn't matter if dropping the phylactery into lava would destroy it, as long as it has a high enough damage output to keep Xykon from regenerating. I'll just assume that regenerating takes 5 days (the average). Total immersion in lava is 20d6... yeah, that's probably keeping him dead. 20-240 damage per round, assuming HP and max HP return linearly during regeneration, and that Xykon is 21st level, he has a maximum of 252 HP (lich gives him d12 HD), meaning he'd only have 1 HP when he started regenerating. He's definitely dying. (fixed)
    My philosophies: "That's a problem for future me!" and "Darn it, past me!"

wanting to know everything is a blessing and a curse
    mostly just a curse

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well, last time we saw the Phylactery and it's fake copy, the latter was stored inside a faux leather case. I doubt than in the 1-10 days it takes for Xykon to regenerate, he will be able to notice that the phylactery is in the wrong place. At least, not until he regenerates an arm and can open the case that stores it.

And last time we saw the Astral Fortress (the only time we saw it, in fact), Xykon was leading Redcloak into it in order to get him to cast a list of Cleric spells. So, not only Redcloak knows were the Fortress exactly is, but he himself casted a good amount of the spells guarding it.

So it is reasonable to assume that, if Xykon gets destroyed before the Plan is completed, Redcloak has enough time to rush to the Fortress and leave the Phylactery were it is supposed to be. Gosh, for all we know, Redcloak could have even set up an spell to instantly teleport-swap the fake phlyactery with the real one.

Or, perhaps, Redcloak has got enough of Xykon, and if the lich gets destroyed, again, before the Plan is completed, he is ready to destroy the Phylactery and carry on.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-04-20 at 02:51 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Well, last time we saw the Phylactery and it's fake copy, the latter was stored inside a faux leather case.
    And it is an insurmountable feat to remove it from its environmentally-friendly casket, I take it?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Bugbear in the Playground

Last time Xykon died, he got immediately transferred to his phylactery, where he was plenty aware of his surroundings.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Blarg. I'm leaving that unchanged. If I ever get up a game with you, Aveline, and Fyraltari, that'll be the name of the villain.
    Great, now I can finally contexualize this one webcomic I've been reading for over a decade!

I'm not opposed. The current Miko discussion actually makes me interested in doing a "Mock Sapphire Guard" campaign.
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    Great, now I can finally contexualize this one webcomic I've been reading for over a decade!

I'm not opposed. The current Miko discussion actually makes me interested in doing a "Mock Sapphire Guard" campaign.
    You say that now, but once you've been battling the Order of Ohylaxtrt you shall yearn for a group of paladins to aid in your quest!

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I’m sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post

Yeah, I think this is the first D&D campaign someone has actually wanted me to join. I'm intrigued, I think we can do this.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2019-04-21 at 03:12 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Excellent! Now, to introduce you all to the most monumental disappointment every D&D player faces: scheduling a block of time that works on a consistent basis with everyone. Legends say the XP granted by overcoming this challenge is uncountable, but no one has ever been able to confirm that.

For reals, though, if y'all want I can probably swing this. It'd take a bit for me to write up a campaign and finish the game I'm in, but I think it'd be fun.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

That's fine, it'll take me a while to learn the rules anyway. PM me/us whenever works for you.

Time zones are a bit of a sticking point though.
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

And it is an insurmountable feat to remove it from its environmentally-friendly casket, I take it?
    Information presented in comic shows Xykon still carrying it in the leather case. Which means that in the event of him geting destroyed again, he will wake up inside the case, unable to notice his surroundings until he regenerates an arm and can open the case - which, according again to information presented in-comic, will take him some days.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Information presented in comic shows Xykon still carrying it in the leather case. Which means that in the event of him geting destroyed again, he will wake up inside the case, unable to notice his surroundings until he regenerates an arm and can open the case - which, according again to information presented in-comic, will take him some days.
    I might be missing something here, but it was the fake phylactery inside the case, right? So Xykon won't be regenerating in here.

If -- for some unknown tactical advantage that RC hasn't destroyed it yet -- he regenerates in the little blue-string pouch Redcloak put the real thing in, he'll be able to notice he isn't in the right place.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Regardless, unless the hypothetical case is soundproof, Xykon will absolutely notice his surroundings. He has ears.

OK, he doesn't. But you know what I mean.
    Last edited by hroţila; 2019-04-22 at 04:24 AM.
    ungelic is us

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think Xkon left it inside the case inside the tomb, if only because having to wait to get big enough to break through it to hvae some light would be boring. Not that it's going to matter anyway since Red seems to be wearing the real deal around his neck again.
    Excellent! Now, to introduce you all to the most monumental disappointment every D&D player faces: scheduling a block of time that works on a consistent basis with everyone. Legends say the XP granted by overcoming this challenge is uncountable, but no one has ever been able to confirm that.
    Joke's on you, being a GM for the The One Ring three freinds and I have going on is already a pain!
    Doing that cross-timezones though...

For reals, though, if y'all want I can probably swing this. It'd take a bit for me to write up a campaign and finish the game I'm in, but I think it'd be fun.
    Take your time, I would need some to learn about D&D mechanics anyways. I'd need the Player Handbook for 5e, right? (30€, that's about what I'd expect.)
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-04-22 at 01:20 PM.

Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Take your time, I would need some to learn about D&D mechanics anyways. I'd need the Player Handbook for 5e, right? (30€, that's about what I'd expect.)
    I strongly encourage you to see if they have them in second-hand bookstores. That's how I built up my 4th ed collection.
    I'm also jealous of you guys since I didn't get invited
    Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I strongly encourage you to see if they have them in second-hand bookstores. That's how I built up my 4th ed collection.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I'm also jealous of you guys since I didn't get invited
    'Tis be a shame.

Forum Wisdom