New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Choose Your Own Adventure Board Games

Hey everyone, as the title suggests, this thread will be about the CYOA type board games. Come share your favorite titles, exciting adventures or events that have happened in them. Maybe suggest new titles that other may not have heard of, tell us about them.

The reason I bring this up is because I somewhat recently (few months ago from this post?) watched (played?) Black Mirror: Bandersnatch, and I think next week, instead of doing D&D, we're having a general game night, and asked a friend to bring one of my recently favorite CYOA board games: Tales of the Arabian Nights.

Tales of the Arabian Nights is a board game based on the Middle Eastern folk tale collection known as One Thousand and One Nights, or commonly known as Arabian Nights.
    The playable pieces, which don't quite matter, unless you chose to have a different sex, include Aladdin, Sinbad, Scheherazade, and some others.
    The game has Day/Night cycles which may affect different encounters.

Similar to D&D, you have skills, though these are more like Ship Sailing, Swordplay, Seduction, etc. (I don't have the exact ones to look at, but you get the idea) These skills may help you or harm you depending on the scenario, such as:
    "You encounter a group of thieves attacking a caravan, do you chose to:
    A: Fight them
    B: Help them attack the caravan
    C: Run Away."
    Each one you pick will lead to a differnet scenario, and for instance if you were to pick A, the outcomes could be like,
    "If you have the Swordplay skill, you chase out the thieves and the caravan rewards you with 20 gold and a magical item"
    or
    "If you do not have the Swordplay skill, you are defeated and loose all your posessions"
    and so on.

The game comes with a book of events, and it's very unlikely that you will get the same event twice, which makes it fun to play multiple times.

I have not played it a lot of times, so I'm not too knowledgeable about everything in the game. From what I gathered, the main objective of the game is to create as many "stories" or events (or go up to like 10 points) or something like that.

My favorite moment, just gonna keep it short, was that I somehow ended up stalking an evil vizier (a high ranking official), killing the vizier, getting married and burried alive with my wife, somehow survived, BECAME a vizier, and got my own palace.

Anyways, tell me about your favorite CYOA board games.
    Last edited by Buji; 2019-04-03 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Forgot an extra "o" in Choose

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Choose Your Own Adventure Board Games

Tales of the Arabian Nights Stories:
    A friend's character got stranded/lost at sea. While trying to get un-lost at sea, a giant ogre runs up, and beats them till they're ugly. They finally manage to get un-lost and then run into some sort of nymph, and then get depressed because they performed badly in bed with the nymph due to having been punched ugly by the ogre.

It's an interesting sort of game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.