New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Did a zip-lock bag murder your family?

So my family and I are going to a sleepover at The Museum of Science and Industry The Field Museum. I am allowed to bring snacks due to a dietary requirement (I can not eat gluten), but the snacks need to be in a hard plastic container, and specifically not in zip-lock bags.

What reasons can you think of for this? A push to be environmentally friendly? A request from the janitorial staff? Fears of murderous bands of zip-lock bags roaming the museum? Zip-lock bags interfering with the Night at the Museum magic?
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-04-12 at 08:46 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Did a zip-lock bag murder your family?

My guess is request from the janitors after cleaning up their millionth baggie. Human beings are generally slobs, and tend to have extremely poor memory and aim when they're expected to put things into garbage cans.

3. - Top - End - #3

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by darkrose50 View Post
    a hard plastic container, and specifically not in zip-lock bags.
    My guess would be that it’s less the zip-lock bags being a problem, and more anything that can break or tear, making a mess. In my experience, Zip-locks are not amazingly resilient, but Tuper-ware and similar hard plastic containers are often very resilient, especially in day to day use.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

My guess is request from the janitors after cleaning up their millionth baggie. Human beings are generally slobs, and tend to have extremely poor memory and aim when they're expected to put things into garbage cans.
    That would be my thought too. People leave trash everywhere. And trash with food on it attracts bugs.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Tripling down on this. I also suspect that people are less likely to munch on food while browsing if it's in tupperware as opposed to bags, but that's just a guess. Does this place have animals for the exhibits? If some of their exhibits do, the bags might pose more of a choking hazard than the tupperware.

If you live in the states (which I assume you are), Ikea has the pruta series which I use for the same issue. Pretty good size, lightweight and easy to open.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

6. - Top - End - #6

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Tripling down on this. I also suspect that people are less likely to munch on food while browsing if it's in tupperware as opposed to bags, but that's just a guess. Does this place have animals for the exhibits? If some of their exhibits do, the bags might pose more of a choking hazard than the tupperware.

If you live in the states (which I assume you are), Ikea has the pruta series which I use for the same issue. Pretty good size, lightweight and easy to open.
    It was at the Field Museum. The one with Sue the tyrannosaurus rex. No one slept with Sue. We slept in the Ancient Americas exhibit.

Hundreds of kids with flashlights walking around. Every 2-3 minutes between 8:30 PM and 10:00 PM some kid would shine a flashlight in my face. This mostly stopped at 10:00 PM. It was something!

After they turned off the movies and most of the lights, we could hear what sounded like an air-pump or a small plane taking off. At one point I went looking for the culprit, expecting someone to have left an air-pump running after filling up an air mattress. The noise was coming from the ceiling and/or behind an exhibit wall. I wandered out into the museum (the place is massive), and told a group of employees sitting around a security desk. They told me that it was the AVAC, and did not know about the noise before scheduling people to sleep by it. I moved to the front of the exhibit, away from the noise in the back, so that I could sleep. It was an improvement but some guy 10-15 feet away had a zipper zippering, some Velcro Velcroing, a phone that made noises when he checked it, and a freaking rain stick. It also sounded like he tapped posters to the wall for when he took them down at 6:00 AM there was the noise of tape being ripped from the wall, and then the wobbling plastic-laminated sound posters make when rolling them up. It was in improvement, but I was tempted to ask what the heck this guy was doing.

The neighboring exhibit was the one with the mummies (no one got to sleep with the mummies either). I would have rather slept with haunted undead mummies wailing on all night in a dead language than with the noise in the Ancient Americas exhibit caused by the loud AVAC.

The girl scout leader is an AVAC engineer, knows the company that did the installation, and is totally going to call them and tell them about the ****ty job that they did. I guess every exhibit gets its own AVAC install. I am waiting on baited breath to hear the story of her letting them know that they suck. They are her competition, and I imagine that they all know each other.

I asked my wife . . . "Can we bring our wagon?" She said "Nope, they said that we cannot." I went "Crap, I guess I will lug everything." Then we saw some guy with a wagon! Just one, but he got away with it.

They had t-shirts that said "Dozing With the Dinos!", but they were ONLY for sale for 1-hour for some reason that was disappointing as I somehow missed them.

Overall it was fun! I would recommend "Dozing With the Dinos!"

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    That would be my thought too. People leave trash everywhere. And trash with food on it attracts bugs.
    They have a spell on display at The Field Museum to cure a sick cat! It was translated from Egyptian to English. It went on . . . and on . . . and on . . . and on.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-04-12 at 08:55 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

it is obviously a conspiracy to rob humans of zip loc bags
    everybody knows that zip loc bags are the most effective weapon against vampire zombie possums
    the museum must be in cohorts with them

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

So many innuendos I could make....

I guess they no longer have the Lasceaux (sic?) cavepaintings exhibit. That woulda made for an intersting place to sleep.

And now I can't remember what year it was I visited Chicago and had a poke around Field's Museum. Annoying.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-04-16 at 03:00 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

biggrin Re: Did a zip-lock bag murder your family?

telonius you have a great avatar
    schmendrick

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

also is there any unicorns in this thread?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

You can make up guesses, or you can call them and ask.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The bags are actually trying to take over the world!!!!
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.