New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Death of Princess Maria 2 IC

Lexara dosn't acknowledge the comment. This exactly what she is worried about. She prefer to keep this visit a secret. Luckily she just got what she wanted and can dissappear into the private room.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Malleus
    Show
    Malleus takes a moment to finish up his drink before he heads out.

Madame Volutia bends down to start pouring ale in a small glass when there's a loud noise from the doorway. A young man with blonde hair, steel armor, and a flowing red cape kicks the door open and it slams against the wall, snapping one of the hinges. Captain Michael Leonis enters the bar and takes a look around.

"Well now. So these are the brave men and women who came from all over the country to try and rescue our princess? Drinking ale in the morning when they shouldn't be wasting even a second of daylight getting information from my father and going out to do their ****ING JOBS!" He smacks the mug out of the dwarf patron's hand. The dwarf stands up in anger, placing one hand on his axe. "Why I oughta"

Before he can finish the sentence, Captain Leonis punches him right in the jaw and the dwarf drops like a ton of bricks, out like a light. The other patrons all quickly finish their drinks and bow their heads, scattering out the door with an occasional, "Sorry for your loss" or "We'll find your sister, don't worry" to the prince as they pass. Soon the unconscious dwarf and the group by the bar are the only ones left in the tavern.

Madame Volutia watches the display in silence and as soon as the prince has cleared everyone else out, she shakes her head and walks out from behind the bar, touching the door and repairing it instantly and walking over next to the dwarf, kneeling down and saying a small prayer. The dwarf's swelling goes down as she touches his face, but he remains unconscious. The madame stands up.

"Michael, honey, I love you as much as I love my own daughter but Maria would be beside herself if she could see the way you're acting right now," she lectures. The prince glowers and turns away. "I'd take all the disappointment in the world, hell, I wouldn't care if she hated me for the rest of her life, if it meant that she was back here," he mutters quietly, walking out the door without a word.

Madame Volutia is quiet, looking at the ground for a moment, before she turns to Malleus with a smile. "Well then, you heard the captain. You best be off to see the king! Oh, and your tab...that will be three silver please."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Malleus watched the scene with not so much as a raised eyebrow. "Yes, of course" he remarked idly to the Madame at the request for payment, flicking his hand quickly into his pouch and emerging with four silver pieces. "Here you are."

With that, he hustled off in pursuit of the prince. This -- now, THIS was a man who was sure to know things.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If I can catch up to the prince and get a few words in, I will; if not, off to the castle. Up to you, not sure how you'd like to move things along

4. - Top - End - #34

Show
    Malleus manages to catch up to the man. He looks like he's more muscle than water, and he moves very quickly for being weighed down in fine-looking breastplate. He glances back at the man as he approaches. "And who are you supposed to be? Looking to get involved in my sister's rescue, too? ...Good. At the very least, you look capable."

He crosses his arms. "I'm Michael Leonis. Captain of the city's royal guard. If you've got something to say, I'm listening."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

At the remark that he looked capable, Malleus may have had just a brief hint of surprise cross his face. "I don't hear that very often."

"But yes, I am planning on assisting as I can. I don't mean to put upon you, but I've given this more thought than the brutes in there who think that 'a bigger axe' is the solution to all life's problems. There's something very unusual about this whole matter, and I'm hoping you can shed some light. I imagine this is not a simple matter of ransom -- else you'd have already paid. Nor is it a simple matter of applying enough force -- else you'd be in the process of raising a proper army, if not leading it yourself. So there's a problem of motivation.

"And I'm sure that as you said they'll be providing some information at the castle, and I intend to go forthwith. But frankly if the clientele of the Hierophant is any indication, it's going to be a madhouse down there, and I am certain that any briefings are being kept to a, well, excessive brevity. So if there's any information you can share, it would go a long way toward making my assistance far more valuable."

6. - Top - End - #36

Show
    Captain Michael Leonis crosses his arms and looks lost in thought for a moment. "I will be frank. I don't know a whole lot more than you do. My father has the real intel right now, he put up those posters because of a report back from some scouts in the area. As for me, I've been going through the streets holding up every petty thug and thief to find information on the black market. See if they had something to do with this. I haven't been successful."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

A disappointing response, to be sure, but one that had to be taken in stride. This was always among the possibilities.

"Very well then. I shall leave you to your task."

Malleus gave a slight bow of the head, placed his cigarette back between his lips, and set off toward the castle.

8. - Top - End - #38

At some point, the four adventurers managed to gather together. Malleus and Lexara try their best to keep calm, though the weight of what they saw in the tavern hangs on each of their minds. Vivianne, in particular, has a lot to think about. The blessing of Calistria graces Lexara's neck and she feels more determined than ever to embark on her quest, the gift from Madame Volutia emboldening her and removing whatever doubts or fears she might have had after she met the strange man on the street.

When the group arrives at the castle they spot a noble paladin stepping out of the castle along with three companions. He turns around and bows to the king, who is standing on the steps. "My Lord, I can understand why you are nervous, but please, trust me. I will find her." The king nods fervently. "I believe in you, Sir Sclavo. Please, be careful out there."

The paladin Sir Sclavo mounts a decorated war horse and rides off with his group to the east. The king turns and spots your group. "Ah! More adventurers, seeking to assist the kingdom in our direst hour, eh? Please, come in."

The king leads you inside and has you all stand before the throne. He sits down and sighs heavily. "You might find it odd that I'm greeting this people myself. Well, I actually...I gave all my staff a few days off. You might think it's silly, after all, they're just paid employees, but really, everyone who knows Maria loves her. Most of the maids feel like they've lost a sister."

Spoiler
    Show

His Majesty King Caineghis I cuts an imposing figure, and normally merely being in his presence would cause a man to cower, but this lion's teeth have been filed down thanks to his worry. He looks thin and pale in the cheeks, and it's clear when he said "his staff" he included his chefs as well. The Lion of Jazi is fabulously wealthy and a proud warrior, and his throne room is a testament to his and his family's legacy of tactical prowess. The Leonis Coat of Arms hangs behind the throne, a lion and lioness circling a bleeding human, and it speaks volumes about their history. The Leonis princesses and queens have long ruled alongside their husbands and brothers fiercely, and are just as active if not moreso in the rulings of the kingdom. The queen has an equal voice along with the king, and their children are each considered to have "half" a vote, so that when policies are made, they are made as a family with everyone having some level of input. Due to this group-based monarchy, the Leonis line has rendered itself practically immune to infighting and family-planned assassinations, no one ever feels like they're being excluded.

After about sixty seconds of sitting in the throne, Caineghis snaps out of his daze and looks up. "Oh, you're still here. Right. Here is what we know. We believe that Maria has been taken to The Cavern of Fate on the eastern border of the city. I doubt that's the kidnapper's destination, it's too close to the city, but he's probably hiding out there right now waiting for a lapse in security so he can sneak away. He probably already would have if Michael didn't immediately dispatch his troops to comb every inch of the city's outer wall. There are thirty arrows on each corner just looking for a single person out of the ordinary. Of course, that's left Michael to guard the city entirely on his own, but he hasn't seemed to have a problem with it."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Lexara is rather surprised to see King approach group randos just like that. One would think he would be more worried about his safety. "Sir, I do indeed find this rather odd. For a simple reason that this is rather risky. Three of us are armed, don't you find this to be a security risk?". For some reason,n she doesn't find a man intimidating. Perhaps it's bouse everyone is already so much larger to her. "When it comes to Princess, I assume the time is on the essence and we should go soon as possible, but is there any clue to who might be behind all of this? Perhaps he has an escape root already set up in the cavern?"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

"I agree, miss. Any moment wasted is time the villains can use to make good their escape." The Lady turns to face the general direction of the other three, her eyes unfocused. "I am Lady Vivianne Pelleas. Perhaps we could work together? I'm sure fate has brought us here together for a reason. I have faith that with all of our talents, we will see the princess rescued."
    Lord Havelock Vetinari Avatar by AlfredAmeoba.
    "A sense of terrifying admiration overcame him.
    He wondered what it was like in the Patrician's mind. All cold and shiny, he thought, all blued steel and icicles and little wheels clicking along like a huge clock. The kind of mind that would carefully consider its own downfall and turn it to advantage." "Every evil tyrant has a plan to rule the world. The good people don't seem to have the knack."-Terry Pratchett

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Malleus listened to the king, having managed to put out his cigarette before entering. The man was obviously exhausted out of his mind, probably not willing to share quite all that he knew, and taking rash steps that could endanger the city, not to mention his son... but who wouldn't, for their daughter?

No mention of motivation, either. That remained troubling. He found himself emitting a faint "hmmm" noise at various points during the king's speech, clearly not realizing he was making any noise at all.

The little one he'd of course seen before. The lady, something new. Malleus stared back at her coldly, sizing her up.

"Sure, why not. Wisdom of crowds and all that."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

"You can call me Lexara, or you know what, go ahead and call make that Lexi." With that Lexara turns to her goat ready to hop on and get to ridding toward the caverns.

13. - Top - End - #43

"There is no clue as to the identity of Maria's kidnapper," King Caineghis I replies wearily. "Nor what they may want. We have tracked the kidnapper by scent, but that is all we can do. Inside the Cavern of Fate, they wait."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

"Then off we go". Lexara jumped on her goat ready to ride off and try recusing the princess.

15. - Top - End - #45

As the group moves to leave the city, they run into a couple of scruffy-looking ruffians. Two men, early twenties, with long shaggy hair and black leather jackets. They glance at each other as the party approaches.

"Well, would you look at this, Rich? This guy is 'oggin' all the good-looking ladies in town!"

The other man snorts. "'E looks like 'e might wet 'imself if you get too close. Must have quite a bit of money to attract so much attention..."

They step forward, dangerous eyes on Malleus.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2019-04-13 at 11:30 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Malleus rolled his eyes a bit. Here we go again.

He took one step forward -- no sense getting the girls hurt on their first expedition, that was no way to make friends -- and let out a thick puff of smoke, shifting the cigarette deftly to the side of his mouth so he could speak clearly.

"Yes, gentlemen, they are quite beautiful aren't they? You can ask them if you want, but I'm afraid you're not their type -- but I hear there's plenty to go around down at the Hierophant. Now, I'm going to have to ask you nicely to step out of the way so we can be about our business."

17. - Top - End - #47

"Ooh, 'ear that, Valen? 'E's gonna make things uncomfortable for us if we don't let 'im on 'is way."

"It's right improper of us to delay such a fine, upstandin' citizen, innit?"

The two of them howl with laughter, mocking Malleus's accent.

Then they straighten up.

"I's not 'appenin', mate."

"Right. Unless you wanna sod off to the 'ospital with your 'eart in your 'ands, you best be 'andin' over that wallet, pronto."
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2019-04-13 at 11:30 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Lexara turns her shield into a crossbow and fires 2 tanglefoot bags, one at each man. "Next time I will loud fire oil!" She turns at Malleus "Same to you"

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Attack 1: (1d20+5)[10]
    Attack 2: (1d20+5)[6]

19. - Top - End - #49

"Well now. We've been shot," one of the men comments matter-of-factly, as they both sidestep the attacks.

"Quite. Seems like we 'ave no choice but to defend ourselves."

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[10]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, this is quite the conundrum you've placed me in. On the one hand, that sod off to the 'ospital with me 'eart in me 'ands bit sounds quite unpleasant. On the other, I really do like this wallet. It's genuine northlands leather with a high quality double-stitch. You just can't find that kind of craftsmanship around these parts. Let me think about it a moment.

Unbuttoning his overcoat, he fumbled around behind it, pulling out not his wallet, but a fine steel rapier, with a guard that was somewhere between a functional piece and a work of art on its own, and a blade that tapered to a nearly invisible point.

Spoiler: Rapier
    Show

"Now let me make you a counter off--"

Even as he drew the sword and lowered it to point the tip unerringly at the nearer villain's face, he watched the tanglefoot bags sail over his head towards the enemy.

"Never mind. I see my companion has presented a counter en amicus curiae, as it were. One last chance to run."

21. - Top - End - #51

"You have threatened my companions, and your crass behavior deserves a violent end, commoner. If you run now I will show mercy."

Sitting astride Apacen, Lady Vivianne draws her longsword from its scabbard. Her other hand tightens its grip on her banner. "Attack, and you die."

Spoiler: Held
    Show

Held action to charge if they draw a weapon or move to do anything but run away.
    DC 5 Ride guide with knees: cant fail. (sheet didnt account for no ACP from medium armor)
    DC 10 Ride fight with mount: (1d20+7)[27]

Charge! (+2 hit, -2 AC) Flagbearer: +1 hit, +1 dmg
    Lady Vivianne's attack: (1d20+8)[24] (+1 height)
    Damage: (1d8+3)[10] Slashing

Apacen's attack(unarmed strike): (1d20+7)[15]
    Damage: (1d4+4)[8] bludgeon

After attack, she will ride by attack past them and position for another charge. (60 total speed, no aoo for target of charge attack)

If they use a ranged attack against her, Stone Shield spell.
    He wondered what it was like in the Patrician's mind. All cold and shiny, he thought, all blued steel and icicles and little wheels clicking along like a huge clock. The kind of mind that would carefully consider its own downfall and turn it to advantage." "Every evil tyrant has a plan to rule the world. The good people don't seem to have the knack."-Terry Pratchett

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Malleus shrugged. "Still not too late to run."

Taking a deft few steps to the outside hand of his foe, he planted suddenly and let loose with a lightning-quick thrust, aiming at the man's shoulder for now. No need to kill him, just scare him off...

Show
    Move to, oh, Rich's side -- away from the other fellow so as not to be flanked later.

Attack (counting the +1 bonuses from Flagbearer): (1d20+8)[11], damage (1d6+1)[3]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

"**** of creeps" Lexaras experience hunters tell her to cut them any slack. She puts one flak in her crossbow and other on special attachment for quick loading. Should they take a single step towards her, she will fire.

Spoiler
    Show

Reading a blitz with 2 fire flasks, both the same man.
    to hit (1d20+5)[11] dmg (1d6)[2]
    to hit (1d20+5)[8] dmg (1d6)[1]

24. - Top - End - #54

The men laugh at the attacks. To the group's surprise, their wounds simply vanish, with bruises healing quickly while cuts sew themselves shut.

"Tha's all you got? Well, now I just feel bad for 'em, innit?"

"Let's get 'em, Rich!"

The two men lean forward to charge, but an arrow flies out of nowhere and lands between the groups. The two men grimace and back off.

A woman approaches the party. Vivianne recognizes her as the woman who was standing against the wall in line.

"Excuse me. You wouldn't happen to be interested in Princess Maria, would you?"

She smiles at Lexara. "I..I need to find her, so would you permit me to join you and help your cause?"

The woman has dark hair and is wearing some sort of hide armor. She has a longbow strapped to her back.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Sudden appearance of a woman is caught Lexara of guard, and she addressed her, little halfling, as the leader. "This is my name, but who are you? Why do you need her?"

26. - Top - End - #56

"It's nice to meet you, This. I'm Kara. Kara Lighthallow."

Kara Lighthallow offers the halfling a friendly hand to shake. "The princess protected my family and I from goblins a year or so ago. She was so cool! You have no idea how amazing it was to see her fight. That's why I have to rescue her. She's a good person, and she's really strong. Jazi needs her!"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Lexara accepts the handshake "Please to meet you. Surely we could use member for our grup" She turned to the rest "Right?" Back to Kara "Also do you know this man?"

28. - Top - End - #58

"Who, the thugs? No, they're probably just common street thieves."

29. - Top - End - #59

"Well met, Kara Lighthallow. I am Lady Vivianne Pelleas. You have my thanks for your aid. There was something unnatural about those bandits."

Apacen snorts, restlessly knocking his hooves against the street, obviously irritated at not getting to fight. He eyes the strange human distrustfully.

"Joining forces to rescue the princess would be most reasonable."

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    (1d20+6)[22] (+1 vs bluff)

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Malleus whirled his head about as the arrow came flying in, keeping his focus on the bandits until they had fully turned tail.

He was content to let the others talk; you learned a lot more that way. Now was a time for listening.

Show
    (1d20+3)[21] sense motive because why not