New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Durkonīs marriage list

What do you think it looks like? Itīs honestly pretty obvious that Roy would be at the top, and while in mine V would be much higher, theyīre probably at the bottom. Iīm a bit split if the second last is Elan or Haley, I think Elan ranks higher cause Haley is too chaotic, and sometimes can border CN, while Elan is much more compliant to authority and such, a thing Durkon appreciates.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Durkonīs marriage list

1. Haley
    2. Vaarsuvius
    3. Elan
    4. Belkar
    5. Roy
    6. Blackwing
    7. Mr. Scruffy
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

So I believe it looks like this
    1. Roy
    2. Elan
    3. Haley
    4. Belkar
    5. V

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

One of Roy's deepest, suppressed desires is to go drinking, dwarf-style, with Durkon.

So Roy's on top.

(I really felt like I made that innuendo before)

Also, you forgot Bloodfeast.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
    So I believe it looks like this
    1. Roy
    2. Elan
    3. Haley
    4. Belkar
    5. V
    I think so too. I think Durkon would be more open to different genders than he would be to different alignments.
    Last edited by Furey; 2019-04-05 at 11:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

When this was last discussed there was a lot of debate about whether Durkon was straight or bi - with that obviously influencing his order of preference.

Personally, I thought the comic gave plenty of indications that he was straight.

My list is:
    1 - Hayley (only one known to be a female)
    2 - Roy (closest in terms of alignment etc)
    3 - Elan (pretty harmless and basically good)
    4 - Belkar (as stated by Durkon)
    5 - Varsuvius (little evidence of bond with Durkon, dissimilar alignment, and not someone i imagine many people would want to be married to)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I think that, regardless of preference, Durkon knows that marriage with Haley would involve dealing with a certain degree of deceit and self-loathing. If he doesn't get put off by her greed or penchant for overthrowing flawed power structures, then feeling like he has to manage her complex inner life on a daily basis will. Same with Elan minus the greed and complex inner life.

As much as he seemed willing to "make it work" with Hilgya, Durkon definitely wouldn't enjoy a relationship with a chaotic individual. And there's a chance the chaotic individual would be unhappy also, since Durkon's strict views on tradition and The One Right Way would probably translate to trying to fix traits he finds undesirable.

Obviously Durkon is evolving and hopefully learning about dealing with opposing views, but at the end of the day I can't see him placing anyone but Roy at the top of the list
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's like, a secret to everybody or whatever.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would put V dead last because
    Item: V is, okay, technically divorced, but in V's heart, still married to Inky
    Item: V has children
    Item: V is in love with V's ex-spouse, Inky
    Item: V's gender is undefined
    Item: V is an elf
    Item: V is a wizard

Lastly, to woo V is to interfere in V's redemption arc, which is closely linked in V's mind to V's family.
    No way is Durkon interfering in someone's redemption arc. Just, no.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

With the caveat that he wouldn't actually want to marry anyone in the Order, as they are all unsuitable for him to some degree, here's the ranking I'd guess:

1. Haley. Orientation wins out and Durkon seems straight to me. Haley is canonically a very pretty woman and she and Durkon get along well. She's Good(ish) and even has her own sense of responsibility. Downside: She's Chaotic, and she's a human. I think Durkon has a strong preference for dwarves.

2. Roy. He has the same alignment as Durkon and they are very close. Roy considers Durkon his best friend and has shown Durkon a great deal of loyalty. Downside: He's a man and a human. They'd be too serious together.

3. This was tricky because from here on it's really the dregs, but I suppose it's Elan. Elan is...Good. Durkon thinks he's funny. He has high Charisma. That's about all I can think of. Downside: Human, man, extremely Chaotic. Childlike. Total lack of Wisdom. Underdeveloped sense of responsibility.

4. Belkar. Oh boy. Well, at least he isn't a human or an elf. And he's the only one here who's actually single. Maybe their recent history - Durkon sacrificing himself for Belkar, and Belkar being the only one who could tell the vampire wasn't Durkon - has made Durkon like him a little better. Downside: Are you kidding????

5. V. Almost zero upside here. I guess...V...is...intelligent?? Possibly orientation-compatible? Downside: Elf, history of arrogance, violence. Unapproachable. History of selfishness and abandoning the team. History of lack of responsibility to others.

What about everyone else's rankings? I'd actually put Haley as #1 for everyone. They all strike me as straight guys (except Vaarsuvius, who is still closer to Haley than to anyone else on the team), and she's a pretty woman who everyone on the team likes on some level.

Haley's ranking: Elan, Roy, Vaarsuvius, Durkon, Belkar.
    Elan's ranking: Haley, Roy, Belkar, Durkon, Vaarsuvius.
    Roy's ranking: Haley, Durkon, Elan, Vaarsuvius, Belkar.
    Belkar's ranking: Haley, Vaarsuvius, Elan, Durkon, Roy.
    Vaarsuvius's ranking: Haley, Roy.....Durkon, Elan, Belkar.
    Last edited by Takver; 2019-04-08 at 04:35 PM.
    "Ah! your talk, your damned philosophy!"
    "Talk? It's not talk. It's not reason. It's hand's touch. I touch the wholeness, I hold it. Which is moonlight, which is Takver? How shall I fear death? When I hold it, when I hold in my hands the light--"
    -Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Takver View Post
    I'd actually put Haley as #1 for everyone.
    Haley's #1 candidate is Haley, tied with Elan.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I donīt think a straight person would have a marriage list of their party which consists of only one woman

12. - Top - End - #12

WolfInSheepsClothing

It's pretty obviously a joke and not something he has sat down and put a lot of thought into. Unless Durkon's secret hobby is playing fmk with himself or something. Maybe that's what was going on in his brain all the times he was standing to the side quietly.

13. - Top - End - #13

GreataxeFighterGirl

Oooooh, so who would Durkon FMK?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Furey View Post
    I think so too. I think Durkon would be more open to different genders than he would be to different alignments.
    We already know that he is open to a different alignment since Hylgia is chaotic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0079.html)

But from what we have seen so far, he seems to find his own gender repulsive. For example: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0027.html
    Elan should be a good looking guy and Durkon wants to avoid looking at him, and seems to be seriously troubled by the thought of touching him. Thats extreme, even for a 100% straight guy.
    Similar reaction to naked Roy, who probably also looks quite good, assuming his high stats transfer to a well built physique: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0665.html

His reaction to women is completely different http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0035.html, so he is not just prude.

Also since Durkons mum seems to be one of the most open minded persons in the world in this regard (she even suggested to child durkon to find himself a girl oder boy, not sure where that strip is), it is also highly unlikely that Durkon is just repressing something. Everything indicates that he absolutely zero romantic interest in his own gender.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I'm probably 100 percent straight and I wouldn't want to see any male naked.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    I'm probably 100 percent straight and I wouldn't want to see any male naked.
    If one is to believe the Adam Ruins Everything episode on US circumcision practices, most women find male genitalia weird.

It continues to weird me out just how many forumnites jump directly from "he'd rather not touch the naked body of a coworker" to the conclusion "he's straight" rather than the perfectly equivalent "he is dwarfsexual" or the substantially more plausible "we generally have a strong taboo on touching the naked bodies of people who we aren't intimately involved with".

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-04-22 at 09:46 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Also, I just wouldnīt use 35 as an evidence, since thatīs probably one of the comics the Giant regrets making the most, and is just severely out of character, consider that Durkon is later shown to be extremely respectful and such. And even if we do consider it as a portrayal telling of his character, itīs still a very different situation than your friend walking around naked, I myself wouldnīt be comfortable with seeing even people I find attractive running around naked in such an inappropriate situation.

18. - Top - End - #18

WolfInSheepsClothing

I don't know why 35 wouldn't be considered; I got the impression that he regretted the way the topic was presented (in terms of objectifying female characters) rather than had changed his mind about the characters' sexualities.

Plus I don't think it makes sense to say it's out of character; the male characters including Durkon behave similarly when Haley and V discuss Haley's gemstones (the smooth round ones she got from her mother).