1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Planescape: emphasizing belief

Hello everyone

I am currently GMing a Plancescape campaign for the first time, but I find it difficult to show the impact of belief in a way that is not too blatant.

I mean, in the video game, you can just ask some people to believe that a tree should grow, but... I don't know.

Help please?
    What can change the nature of a man?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Planescape: emphasizing belief

Don't forget that in the videogame you're a an exceptional case - an almost godlike being with the wisdom of hundreds incarnations. So it doesn't count.

One way to emphasize belief at a personal level is rewarding belief-upholding with belief based powers. The "belief system" based on inspiration as seen in Chris Perkins 5e adaptation is a good example. Basicly, you gain inspiration points by upholding or confronting your beliefs in tense situations, and the more you accrue these, the more factional powers open up to you. And "Taboos" halt you from getting more points.

So say, a Godsmen..

Inspiration pts - Belief Power
    5 pts - Remember past lives (bonus to certain actions based on past lives memories)
    10 pts - Spark of divinity (you become like a god of this very small aspect - bar fights? telling bad jokes? - that gives you a bonus in the moment)
    30 pts - etc...

Taboo: abdicating from help any living being, or killing for futile reasons. Every being could be a god in the making, so you must respect like at all costs.

Something like that..
    Last edited by Silva; 2019-04-08 at 08:10 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

By the way, would a power based on belief (like the Godsmen ones above) work on the Prime Material ? I'm not sure myself.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

No(?)

The OUTER planes are driven by/powered by/made by/changed by Belief...not the inner planes or prime material (though belief still has some power on the latter, no amount of belief will physically transport Washington DC to the Abyss, for example...it would require action)

Belief can have effect on PMP though to a degree; magic requires it, so casting cure light wounds or resurrection
    , or (likely) fuel the power mentioned prior, but there is more to it than simply belief (there).

As to showing it in game, hmmm.

Well, you can show how it causes people or monsters to do this or that thing, whether it makes much sense or not (as it would be here in real life)

former gate towns could be explored; so too could special sites(religious or otherwise)

one hopes the planar rules/effects, as well as the role playing of the denizens, would help highlight overall belief (in the form of alignment) dominant on a given outer plane (again, this is not applicable on the inner or prime material plane)

the demesne of a power can be a much more extreme case of the above, too, perhaps.

If you want something in action, planting the growing cult/group/band 's belief, then having it come up every so often in game, until enough people do believe (players might interact at numerous places along that path of time, or not) to cause something..."show them" rather than tell them.
    Last edited by CE DM; 2019-04-08 at 08:31 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Superhero in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn4 View Post
    Hello everyone

I am currently GMing a Plancescape campaign for the first time, but I find it difficult to show the impact of belief in a way that is not too blatant.

I mean, in the video game, you can just ask some people to believe that a tree should grow, but... I don't know.

Help please?
    Charisma, Intelligence, and Wisdom.

If you're going to get people to believe things, it's going to be because you have sufficient Charisma to convince them to believe.

Wisdom and Intelligence, of course, is going to be resistance to others convincing you.

If you want to emphasize belief, then look towards how your Charisma will push others to where you want them to be, and what mechanics you want to use to allow it.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    API Anthology 1 from Drivethru RPG.
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Some useful answers. Especially the belief system from Planewalker's Handbook.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

on some planes (mostly earth based cave dimensions) down is where your feet are, if two people bump into each other with different downs whoever believes it least (mechanically represented by lower wisdom)
    falls.

They could run into a cult that is trying to empower their leader through a ponzi scheme of belief, getting people to believe the leader has incredible powers through fake miracles in order to give him those powers. Said cult leader could be in the middle of his rise to power or he could have already reached it and "proving" his miracles are fake might be necessary to weaken him.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Some useful answers. Especially the belief system from Planewalker's Handbook.
    Amazing tips and I favoured that thread, BUT the Belief system from Planewalker Handbook is kinda janky. Why should I automatically succeed in a task that do not relate at all to my belief? I think the factions abilities from Factol Manifesto point to a better direction aka: "I can change the universe only in a way that correlates to my belief". So a Signer believer can daydream about something and it just appears in front of her, or a Godsmen believer sees himself developing godlike powers, an Athar nulifies miracles from a nearby cleric making him look lika a charlagtan, etc.

Which is basically what that 5e hack I pointed to before (the Godsmen example above) does.