New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default What If: Tim Burton directed TMNT?

In neamathla's Five Colors timeline there was no Adam West Batman so there was no real need for the Tim Burton Batman. So in my version of the timeline he instead does TMNT. What would it look and what are the chances of the OTL cast still being cast for the ATL movie?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: What If: Tim Burton directed TMNT?

April O'Neil played by Helena Bonham Carter.
    Casey Jones played by Johnny Depp.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Are they honestly good choices or is it just that they work with Burton a lot?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I was going to say this, but I checked the dates first. Batman was 1989, and he didn't meet HBC until 2001. Burton and Depp collaborated for the first time with Edward Scissorhands in 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by nick_crenshaw View Post
    The latter.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I'd imagine it would look a lot like Batman '89. He'd emphasize the alienating aspects of being a mutant person since he likes monstrous heroes.

New York in general would be more stylized as per his tastes, and the sewer set in particularly would be indulged in to be more of an intricate subterranean world since he likes that whole grimy clockwork aesthetic.

No idea what he'd do with Shredder, he's not a style of villain Burton tends to go for based on his filmography. He might radically change him like the Penguin, I dunno.

Also, Burton's not an action movie director, so you'd expect about the level of Batman in that area as well.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2019-04-08 at 11:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

No, he'd be a turtle because I think that's funnier. Also Michael Keaton is a turtle too. And Danny Devito. And there's a 20% chance it's stop motion.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Is there a better choice for director if you wanted to stay faithful to the source material? Also what would a Rankin/Bass cartoon look like?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Splinter would be softened into an even warmer father figure.

April would at best get a punky redesign. Or at worst she'd fill the blonde ingenue role.

Knowing him he'd try to have half the movie take place in Suburbia. The humor would be more morbid and that would tonally alter the turtles significantly.

Danny Elfman trying his hand at the TMNT'S theme wouldn't be the worst thing...trying to incorporate his love of stripes and spirals on the other hand...
    Last edited by Legato Endless; 2019-04-07 at 09:52 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Would there be a sequel that's never made where the Turtles goes to Hawaii?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

It would go a little something like this:
    Spoiler: Honest Trailers: Every Tim Burton Movie
    Show
    https://youtu.be/8tWG2t_ZugU
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

It's practically a running gag at this point that Tim Burton likes to cast HBC opposite Depp.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Since when did them being bad choices keep Burton from casting them?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I was going to say this, but I checked the dates first. Batman was 1989, and he didn't meet HBC until 2001. Burton and Depp collaborated for the first time with Edward Scissorhands in 1990.
    Winona Ryder (Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands) as April O'Neil, then?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

How about Gary Goddard as the director the TMNT film? Or any of the following: Goran Dukic, Timur Bekmambetov, Gregory Widen, Joel Shumacher, Alex Proyas, Peter Jackson, Christophe Gans, Katheryn Bigelow, Ridley Scott?
    Last edited by nick_crenshaw; 2019-04-09 at 11:30 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

That's just throwing a random list of names at the wall and hoping one of them sticks, it's not really engendering any discussion.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I don't really think the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies were particularly notable for their direction, is the thing. Not that changing the director won't alter the substance of a film to a certain degree, but unless you subscribe to auteur theory it's not going yield massive changes in reality. At least to what was produced with what they were working with at the time.

I honestly have no idea who directed the first live action Turtles movie. Apparently it was the guy who did the Coneheads according to imdb.

Though this is shaping more into that meme thing on Youtube where it's the Steamed Hams bit with Chalmers and Skinner from the Simpsons but they change the art-style and direction around in every iteration.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2019-04-10 at 12:22 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

That's just throwing a random list of names at the wall and hoping one of them sticks, it's not really engendering any discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I don't really think the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies were particularly notable for their direction, is the thing. Not that changing the director won't alter the substance of a film to a certain degree, but unless you subscribe to auteur theory it's not going yield massive changes in reality. At least to what was produced with what they were working with at the time.

I honestly have no idea who directed the first live action Turtles movie. Apparently it was the guy who did the Coneheads according to imdb.

Though this is shaping more into that meme thing on Youtube where it's the Steamed Hams bit with Chalmers and Skinner from the Simpsons but they change the art-style and direction around in every iteration.
    According to the alternate timeline linked above (first post) the original poster states that the Ninja Turtles her had the super kid friendly cartoon and movie, but I love the Turtles to much to not have them. So in my version of the timeline I have Rankin/Bass (the same production of ThunderCats and SilverHawks) going the show (with the same animation company). In this version of the show I see the producers (or writers) making the show close to the source material and having more faith in their audience (i.e. now color coded masks or labelled belt bucklers, but still different skin colors). The cartoon later inspires the movie. The above isn't just a random list of directors hoping one sticks but chosen by a former collaborator as possible chooses for a similar film (I personally like Gregory Widen after learning he created the Highlander franchise). I hope this help explain my idea.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-04-12 at 11:02 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Johnny Depp + Tim Burton = meaningless, pointless love story that attracts droves of paying costumers who still believe they're watching Edward Scissorhands instead of a heartless moneygrab.

Anyway, I don't think he would do it, simply because there is too much green. He doesn't really work with that kind of colours, at least as far as I remember. They're fairly round-shaped, though, so he'll probably enjoy that.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Burton's movies pretty much always revolve around one or two outcast, underdog characters rebelling against an oppressive normalcy. Right away, TMNT looks like a pretty poor fit. We have four relatively boisterous, colorful, protagonists opposed by an exotic ninja clan. The struggles Burton usually covers have already been won -- the exuberant turtles may have been outcast, but now they're part of normalcy, nomming on pizza, popping ollies on their skateboards, and zinging off dialogue in surfer brogue.

We could turn the situation on its ear, though. The turtles absolutely would make great Burton villains. The Shredder would be cast as a misunderstood victim, and would even have some clear elements of Edward Scissorhands.

Add an out-of-context threat that overshadows the turtles, make April come around to a romantic interest in the Shredder, and have the misunderstood ninja win the day, earning the grudging respect of the turtles along the way.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    Burton's movies pretty much always revolve around one or two outcast, underdog characters rebelling against an oppressive normalcy. Right away, TMNT looks like a pretty poor fit. We have four relatively boisterous, colorful, protagonists opposed by an exotic ninja clan. The struggles Burton usually covers have already been won -- the exuberant turtles may have been outcast, but now they're part of normalcy, nomming on pizza, popping ollies on their skateboards, and zinging off dialogue in surfer brogue.

We could turn the situation on its ear, though. The turtles absolutely would make great Burton villains. The Shredder would be cast as a misunderstood victim, and would even have some clear elements of Edward Scissorhands.

Add an out-of-context threat that overshadows the turtles, make April come around to a romantic interest in the Shredder, and have the misunderstood ninja win the day, earning the grudging respect of the turtles along the way.
    Are you telling me that Tim Burthon's TMNT would be one of those live action Disney Remakes?!
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If anyone should make a TMNT reboot it should be Wes Anderson. Splinter and Shredder are basically brothers (same master) and Splinter can go missing to give the four turtles narrative focus. Even them creeping on April is in the bounds of an Anderson film.
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Are you telling me that Tim Burthon's TMNT would be one of those live action Disney Remakes?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    If anyone should make a TMNT reboot it should be Wes Anderson. Splinter and Shredder are basically brothers (same master) and Splinter can go missing to give the four turtles narrative focus. Even them creeping on April is in the bounds of an Anderson film.
    It's not a reboot but an alternate history.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-04-12 at 11:03 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

What about a musical, though?

I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    What about a musical, though?

Not that, anything but that.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Not that, anything but that.

*maniacal laugh*
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

You're all looking a ti9t from the wrong angle.

An alternate Tim Burton Timeline would focus on poor, misunderstood scarred Sciss....ahem Shredder on his quest to rid the world from the Fiance-stealing Rat Mutant and his gang of vile, Punkrock and break dance loving Reptilian Ninja-Monsters in Turtleform.

And be Darque and Moody of course.

With Johnny Depp as the Shredder (for the seconds you see him without Mask and Scars that is^^).
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Darque
    Burton in a word. Was this a misspelling, or a stroke of genius?

28. - Top - End - #28

Probably deliberate. Burton loves his Gothik aesthetics.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Their lair in the sewers would be a bizarre manor house full of quirky old things.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    No, he'd be a turtle because I think that's funnier. Also Michael Keaton is a turtle too. And Danny Devito. And there's a 20% chance it's stop motion.
    That sounds about right
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)