New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Warhammer question: What's the color of Qhaysh?

If all winds of magic have a respective color in their magical energy.

And Qhaysh is all eight winds woven together what's the color of the spell energy like?

It can't be colorful because that's chaotic and the color of Lore of Tzeentch spells (Along with blue).

The trailers of the computer game seem to portray it as blue but that's of Azyr isn't it? I'm confused. Why go all the way in making a color coded magic system and not bother to explain Qhaysh's color?

Do you guys have any insight on this? Or heascanons?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer question: What's the color of Qhaysh?

It was described as shining like 'Mother of Pearl lit by a thousand suns' by one of the first human wizards taught by Teclis. That was to his magical sight, so I imagine the variant normal people would see would be a bit duller, but I get the impression it's supposed to be a bright iridescence made of all the colours.

Since that's awkward to actually represent in most media it looks like it gets shorthanded to blue or white.

Similarly Dhar, the eight winds mashed together as dark magic, is usually portrayed as green or purple.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I always got the impression that High magic was considered white, and Dark magic black. A harmonius and disharmonious blend of all colours respectively, sort of. Black be more abscence of colour, could also work.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Magic in the World That Was was often referred to as a spectrum, and each of the distinct winds were distilled into a single colour as that's how human mages understood how to use it.

The similarity with the different colours being comparable to a rainbow (and thus the light spectrum) which would therefore suggest that Dhar (Chaos Magic) would be black - or rather, infra-red - and Qhaysh to be ultraviolet. The white/blue in the game is likely the closest that the developers could get to the hazy fluorescence that we can see when we look at a black-light.

I don't have any canon sources for any of that, but it makes sense given the pattern that GW has often used to describe things in its games.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Octarine! Visible only to wizards and cats, and described in flowery tones as the color of the gods, the most amazing thing a mortal may ever see - even if Rincewind describes it as just a sort of greenish purple.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

There was something in the Liber Chaotica about it but... unfortunately, lacking an index or table of contents, I was unable to find it, so I'm having to go off memory. Qhaysh/high magic, is all the colours together in harmony, I believe represented by the brightest light/somewhat of a rainbow. Dhar/dark magic is all of them together, but stagnant. I believe the intention was for it to essentially be absorbing light, if I recall, but... it is rather hard to display that, so more conventional 'evil' colours (especially green, for the solidified chunks of dark magic that is warpstone) are generally used.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I always got the impression that High magic was considered white, and Dark magic black. A harmonius and disharmonious blend of all colours respectively, sort of. Black be more abscence of colour, could also work.
    In the Warhammer-verse, white is considered the color of Hysh, the Wind of Light, so while your suggestion is logically sound, Warhammer's logic doesn't follow it.

It may also be worth noting that in the Zweihander adaptation of Warhammer's tabletop RPG rules, the combined winds form a SILVER wind, which I think is kinda cool...
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    In the Warhammer-verse, white is considered the color of Hysh, the Wind of Light, so while your suggestion is logically sound, Warhammer's logic doesn't follow it.

It may also be worth noting that in the Zweihander adaptation of Warhammer's tabletop RPG rules, the combined winds form a SILVER wind, which I think is kinda cool...
    I expected Light to be yellow.

Apparently Metal is yellow.

It's been awhile.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

If there a more complex link between the winds and their colours than just being easy reference points, or is it just as simple as yellow = gold -> lore of metal has a gold theme because alchemists and red = fire -> Aqshy is therefore red?
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    If there a more complex link between the winds and their colours than just being easy reference points, or is it just as simple as yellow = gold -> lore of metal has a gold theme because alchemists and red = fire -> Aqshy is therefore red?
    Can't remember quite. It used to be mostly an easy reference point. Sky is blue, beast are brown, grass is green, shadows are grey etc.

Considerable energy has been spent on the metaphysical in the lore in the editions since 6th to make stuff seem more "grounded".

Almost everything in the fluff is as changing as the winds of amgic themselves though...