New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Reasons to Restrict Multiclassing?

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    The DMG happily advises you to swap class features as an when you want.
    Where is that at?
    I saw Monsters as NPCs, and Villain Options with Death Domain and Oathbreaker Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    On another topic, does someone know of a TTRPG system that works something like this? I'd be very interested in finding out.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    The one you are writing, surely? Seeing it soon on a kickstarter near us, one hopes.
    Plus one vote!
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-04-17 at 10:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
    The DMG happily advises you to swap class features as an when you want.
    Where is that at?
    I saw Monsters as NPCs, and Villain Options with Death Domain and Oathbreaker Paladin...

I couldn't find it either with a quick skim of the DMG, but I did find:

"...As the Dungeon Master, You aren't limited by the rules in the Player's Handbook, the guidelines in this book, or the selection of monsters in the Monster Manual...

...Before you add a rule to your campaign, ask yourself two questions:

Will the rule improve the game?
    Will my players like it?

If your confident that the smswer to both these questions is yes, then you have nothing to lose by giving it a try...

...No matter what a rules source, a rule serves you, not the other way around

Where have I seen something like that before?

Oh yes:

From Dungeons &Dragons vol. 3: The Underworld & Wilderness Adventures (1974)
    page 36,

"AFTERWARD:
    There are unquestionably areas which have been glossed over. While we deeply regret the necessity, space requires that we put in the essentials only, and the trimming will oftimes have to be added by the referee and his players. We have attempted to furnish an ample framework, and building should be both easy and fun. In this light, we urge you to refrain from writing for rule interpretations or the like unless you are absolutely at a loss, for everything herein is fantastic, and the best way is to decide how you would like it to be, and then make it just that way! On the other hand, we are not loath to answer your questions, but why have us do any more of your imagining for you? Write to us and tell about your additions, ideas, and what have you. We could always do with a bit of improvement in our refereeing."

Same game, same most important rule:
    The DM makes the rules.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Where is that at?
    Page 285.

It most certainly does not say to do it as you want. It says to make sure the swap is just as appealing and just as effective across all three pillars. It does not, however, say to watch out for overpowering things.

SUBSTITUTING CLASS FEATURES
    If one or more features of a given class don't exactly
    fit the theme or tone of your campaign, you can pull them out of the class and replace them with new
    ones. In doing so, you should strive to make sure
    that the new options are just as appealing as the
    ones you are removing, and that the substitute class features contribute to the class's effectiveness at social interaction, exploration, or combat just as well as those being replaced.
    Ultimately, a class exists to help a player express a particular character concept, and any class feature you replace is also removing an aspect of that character. Substituting a class feature should be done only to fit a specific need for your campaign, or to appeal to a player trying to create a specific kind of character (perhaps one modeled after a character from a novel, TV series, comic book, or movie).

4. - Top - End - #244
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    ...If we're to be that basic then there's no point in having a discussion about anything. It's not enough to say the DM can do something. It's equally important to know why the DM does something. The discussion is about people's opinions about the why.
    It’s not that we’re being basic about it. It’s that it is purely a matter of taste. This is true regardless of how we choose to be about it.

So it’s not that there’s no point in discussing any thing. It’s that there’s no point in discussing this kind of thing.

Knowing why the DM likes tomatoes is not going to tell me whether my players like tomatoes. Discussing why other players like tomatoes is not going to change the way tomatoes taste to me.

Plenty of topics are not like this. This topic, however, is like this. How many character options you think should be available, and the variety of those options that you think should be available, are matters of taste.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBeast View Post
    It’s not that we’re being basic about it. It’s that it is purely a matter of taste. This is true regardless of how we choose to be about it.

So it’s not that there’s no point in discussing any thing. It’s that there’s no point in discussing this kind of thing.

Knowing why the DM likes tomatoes is not going to tell me whether my players like tomatoes. Discussing why other players like tomatoes is not going to change the way tomatoes taste to me.

Plenty of topics are not like this. This topic, however, is like this. How many character options you think should be available, and the variety of those options that you think should be available, are matters of taste.
    It's slightly more complicated than that. The analogy would be that I for example don't like tomatoes, so no one at my house gets to eat tomatoes. Now, there might be a good reason why no one at my house shouldn't eat tomatoes, but not liking eating tomatoes myself is not a good reason, or at least that's what is being argued.

Analogies aside, restricting player options does make sense a lot of times. For example, a DM might not want their players to play evil characters because that might hurt the campaign. That could be for example because the DM has imagined of a story that works a lot better for heroes than for villains. Or simply because the DM has no interest in playing a game where he would be forced to have the game world interact with the pc's in certain ways, such as having to play the authorities chasing after the murderhobo pc's. To me, something like that is very understandable. I am looking to hear for reasons as to why something similar should hold for say, multiclass characters. To be honest, I don't think there are any compelling reasons for that, and I think that asking a lot of ''why'' is the best way to make an absurd position collapse in on itself.
    Last edited by Corran; 2019-04-18 at 03:08 AM.
    Hacks!

6. - Top - End - #246

BlackDragon

My, I'm long-winded!!

Thank you, 2D8HP. (No, really).

But like was posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    A DM with no players is, at best, an author.
    @Tanarii - thanks, I'll check it out.
    But reading what you placed, it seems more like “change something in a class with another thing that makes sense."

Not "crossing the Class streams".
    The Feat-trade was the closest I could think of for getting that.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Players have fewer options so either accept one of the few available DMs, with that DM’s conditions, or become a DMthemselves.
    Part of the problem is that a lot of players don't want to be the DM.

They feel intimidated by the 'expectatons' that a lot of media sites (Critical Role, etc) cause.

They see being the DM as doing a lot of work, and that just being a player is 'more fun'. {Which is fine}

I do my best to encourage people to try being a DM - and give as many tips and shortcuts as possible, including referring them to this Forum.
    ----
    Noticed some things that I have overlooked.

1. All oaths don't have gods.
    Which is why I put it like “(gods)”.

2. The hexblade is a completely alignment neutral patron.
    Again, that's dependent on the DM.
    Only if they have no-one/nothing other than The Raven Queen....
    Remember that the Black Razor is Sentient and Evil. The DM determines the creator, and it might not be something the Character would really have a way to know about.

3. Nowhere is the cost of the pact discussed. "Selling your soul" is just setting up one specific example in an attempt to ignore other case, because they contain examples that logically work.
    Even without ”selling your soul”, your dedicating yourself to something in a similar manner to an Oath. The idea behind Paladins and Warlocks is that making an Oath not only grants power, but is binding.

4. Let's say the Paladin does worship a god, and gets to interact with them:
    Random god: I see you have offered your services to the blade in exchange for power?
    Paladin: Well yeah, it didn't have any goals that don't align with mine, and the most it's asked of me is to kill undead when I see them which is what I already do.
    /Conversation
    And how about:
    Deity: “And how, exactly, is the power that I grant you not enough?”
    Or
    “Are you aware that the weapon in question was made by a being that, while not directly opposed, is not in alignment with either my ideals, my duties, nor my goals?”
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Even with small allowances for PC being indeviduals, that still means all NPCs of all civilized races, so elves, dwarves, human, halfling, rich and poor, east coast to west coast, all agree on how to dress based on just class but archetype?
    For those that intermingle in the Trade Cities, mostly. Back "home" the 'dress code' might be different for each Race. Some might copy from another Culture/Race, with some changes made. The difference between rich and poor is usually the type and quality of materials.
    (I encourage the Players to add/invent these things. It helps me, and let's them feel more connected to my Game World. Anyone here can also jump in The Old Keep in World Building, or PM me)

And how will they know I'm an illusionist casting the occasional necromantic spell and not a necromancer casting the occsional illusionist spell?
    I’d say: by all the real Undead following the Necromancer around? Sure, the Illusionist can know and cast Create Undead, but will these most likely not look as “nice” as the Necromancer's.
    (Showing the Necromancer's abilities to enhance the undead they create)
    ---
    Originally Posted by Great Dragon
    If everyone is the same, how do the PCs stand out as Heroes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharaon View Post
    By their deeds and actions.
    Um, you mean like how Hercules was really mostly only remembered by the Deeds he did with his Divine given Strength - And not that it took some time for him to stop being a self-centered jerk?
    ---
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-04-18 at 03:15 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Delta was onto this some years ago, even though he also chose to include thieves as the 3rd class. (Daniel Collins)
    Which is kind of how cleric came to OD&D.

It is very easy to take a character concept and make it into bloat. Paladin and Ranger were two cases of that in their original package, as were dozens of "classes" and "character concepts" in Dragon Magazine for the first 10 years of its existence.
    Agreed. A couple of years ago I would furiously argue about this and I would defend bloat to be good customization, but I've changed my mind about this. Yet, what seems like bloat to you might not necessarily seem bloat to me. I started playing dnd with 3e, and I have no experience whatsoever with the previous editions. So while I can understand that some people might even see several of the present classes as bloat, I only see the warlock as such. And that's not necessarily because the warlock fills less of a niche than a lot of the other classes, but it's probably because when I started playing there was no warlock on the phb. Thanks for the links btw, I'll have a look at them eventually.

Because there are also a certain number of game balance constraints in the current idea of how to produce an RPG, that wide open "try anything" philosophy won't withstand those constraints for long.
    And if or when multiclassing breaks balance, then I agree that it's a good reason to ban it. I don't think that multiclassing is the source of any serious imbalance, but that's personal opinion and beside the point. The point is that I agree that if multiclassing causes balance issues then it's a very good decision to ban it.

The other issue is "does this character grow as the campaign grows" (D&D) or does it come preloaded? (Original Traveller for example)
    Having a good idea about how you want your character to grow is ok by me. If you have a good idea about how you will mechanically support that, that's fine too as far as I am concerned. Granted, I have never played a character that wasn't influenced at least to a small extent by the campain itself, whether it's the story or the other players.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Except for Paladin, all those classes nominally don't have magic (unless you get that ability to work magic from a racial bonus including a Feat with variant humans) and a case may be made that first level Paladins are still primarily mundane warriors, so sure.
    So do we agree that the machanics of the game can be important to realizing a concept?

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    But without already knowing the mechanics how do you have a concept that demands a specific mechanic?

In broad strokes (mostly uses swords or mostly uses sorcery) D&D already has options (and always did!).

Unless you have a rulebook that has billions of pages I can't see how to have mechanics for every minute concept, and I don't think many concepts would even exist divorced from looking at the available mechanics - how would one want this Druid feature, with that Warlock ability without having first seen them?
    It can happen. Imagining a character does not necessarily exclude imagining some of the powers this character will use. Many dnd features are not exclusive to dnd culture. For example, I might want to play a character that has the ability to turn invisible before even knowing if invisibility is something that can be achieved in dnd (in which case we are probably talking about a new player). But imo, timing is not important. An idea for a character can sometimes start by looking at mechanical features of the game, and this is not a silly argument that I just happened to have heard, but something that I have experienced. It's an unconventional way of thinking of a character, but I don't think it can predetermine how much I will like the character in question.
    Hacks!

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Yet, what seems like bloat to you might not necessarily seem bloat to me. I started playing dnd with 3e
    Yeah, our frame of reference differs; but to be fair, a lot of us gobbled up the early bloat like Halloween candy. We wanted to try all kinds of different cool ideas, and balance for its own sake wasn't that big of a concern since the RAW fetish that seemed to come with the 3e hadn't developed at that point. DM tweaking of bloaty things was expected and common. Every game was a custom game, to a certain extent.
    And if or when multiclassing breaks balance, then I agree that it's a good reason to ban it. I don't think that multiclassing is the source of any serious imbalance, but that's personal opinion and beside the point. The point is that I agree that if multiclassing causes balance issues then it's a very good decision to ban it.
    Seems a rational position; I am not a "ban MC" sort; I like what 5e has tried to do with it. My core objection the 5e (and 3e for that matter) is Charisma based casters, and for 5e Warlocks should be int based casters, but that horse left the barn a long time ago.
    Having a good idea about how you want your character to grow is ok by me. If you have a good idea about how you will mechanically support that, that's fine too as far as I am concerned. Granted, I have never played a character that wasn't influenced at least to a small extent by the campain itself, whether it's the story or the other players.
    I totally like that way of character development plays out (italicized bit). The character grows with the adventures ...

Something I don't try to do in D&D is take a character from a movie, book, tv show, what have you, and try to make it for D&D. I am not sure how to explain this, but to me and for me, every D&D character I have ever made was, and is, organic to being a D&D character. If it resembles a different kind of character from another genre, fine, but that's never been a character goal of mine.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #249

I think there's really only like 2-3 "archetypes", and everything else is just a scale of one thing vs. another.

A Paladin is mostly just a Fighter with some light magic.
    A Cleric is like a Paladin, but more magic than Fighter.
    A Druid is mostly just a Cleric with a focus on Nature than Light.
    There's not enough of a difference between Paladin and Fighter to make them separate classes, as well as Paladin and Cleric, but there is enough of a difference between Cleric and Fighter. Would a Fighter + Druid be much different than a Ranger?

I'd be interested to see something like this emulated in a system. Something like this:

• Fighting
      • Savagery
      • Finesse
      • Ranged
      • Protector
    • Skill
      • Persuasion
      • Knowledge
      • Alchemy
      • Dexterity
    • Magic
      • Holy
      • Dark
      • Nature
      • Arcane

Level into specific selections of specific groups, then choose your abilities based on what thresholds you meet. Ranged Fighting + Arcane Magic basically makes you an Arcane Archer. Dark Magic + Protector Fighting would be a Conquest Paladin. Dark Magic + Persuasion Skill would be a Mastermind Rogue with some magic tied in.

Even with this 5 minute example, if you limited it so that you paired two options from different groups (so you can't have Holy and Dark magic), that still leaves 96 possibilities. 5e has 12 classes and about 6 subclasses each, leaving about 72 non-multiclass builds.

There's not a lot that can't really be emulated with a decent, modular system, and you can still keep things in a mechanically oriented, "classful" system. I don't think it'd take "billions" of pages. Just from these 12 you get almost 100 options, and that's with limiting things to pairs.

My point is, it doesn't have to be strictly locked in like 5e has it so that we can settle for the sake of balance, and it doesn't need to have a billion pages. It just needs to be planned out.

On another topic, does someone know of a TTRPG system that works something like this? I'd be very interested in finding out.
    TT, no, but the above is not far from Skyrim's system, FWIW.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Page 285.

SUBSTITUTING CLASS FEATURES
    If one or more features of a given class don't exactly fit the theme or tone of your campaign, you can pull them out of the class and replace them with new
    ones. In doing so, you should strive to make sure that the new options are just as appealing as the ones you are removing, and that the substitute class features contribute to the class's effectiveness at social interaction, exploration, or combat just as well as those being replaced.

Ultimately, a class exists to help a player express a particular character concept, and any class feature you replace is also removing an aspect of that character. Substituting a class feature should be done only to fit a specific need for your campaign, or to appeal to a player trying to create a specific kind of character (perhaps one modeled after a character from a novel, TV series, comic book, or movie).
    Huh.

"Ultimately, a class exists to help a player express a particular character concept"

Interesting.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, our frame of reference differs; but to be fair, a lot of us gobbled up the early bloat like Halloween candy. We wanted to try all kinds of different cool ideas, and balance for its own sake wasn't that big of a concern since the RAW fetish that seemed to come with the 3e hadn't developed at that point. DM tweaking of bloaty things was expected and common. Every game was a custom game, to a certain extent.
    Part of my distrust of class-based systems is the bloat... I'm unable to shake the feeling that all that bloat in new Classes and Races wouldn't be "necessary" if the system were more modular and adjustable to begin with.

Being a tad cynical, the thought starts to creep in, if whether selling all those books full of new Classes and stuff isn't at least a little bit of reason why tight-focus classes have such a conceptual hold inside the publishers of D&D and similar games.

Seems a rational position; I am not a "ban MC" sort; I like what 5e has tried to do with it. My core objection the 5e (and 3e for that matter) is Charisma based casters, and for 5e Warlocks should be int based casters, but that horse left the barn a long time ago.
    CHA went from largely being a dump stat, to this weird catch-all stat conflating "charm", "force of personality", some vague notion of "internal power", and so on. Now we have this mashup of Classes for which it is the "main stat" or "second stat".

A while ago, as a tangent on some thread, a few of us contemplated the thought that maybe every Class could have two options for its "main stat", so that say a Lore Bard or certain Warlocks could choose INT, maybe a Sorcerer could choose WIS, or whatever.

Something I don't try to do in D&D is take a character from a movie, book, tv show, what have you, and try to make it for D&D. I am not sure how to explain this, but to me and for me, every D&D character I have ever made was, and is, organic to being a D&D character. If it resembles a different kind of character from another genre, fine, but that's never been a character goal of mine.
    This is actually one of the things that aggravated me about some of the d20 products put out, notably the span for Star Wars between WEGd6 and FFG's goofy-dice system. Open up one of the books, and here are the movie characters statted out as this or that Class...

Han Solo is not "A Rogue", Han Solo is Han Solo. He might be a rogue, but he's not A Rogue. Repeat for other characters. The character is the character.

Or in some versions, you could see where the various Classes were just the various movie and EU characters with the serial numbers and names filed off, which is just as aggravating... I'm not interested in playing "Not! Wedge Antilles".
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-04-18 at 09:29 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

• Fighting
      • Savagery
      • Finesse
      • Ranged
      • Protector
    • Skill
      • Persuasion
      • Knowledge
      • Alchemy
      • Dexterity
    • Magic
      • Holy
      • Dark
      • Nature
      • Arcane

The d6 version of IKRPG is kind of similar. You pick an archetype (massive melee damage / be a strong man, lots of attacks / be dexterous and skilled, buff allies / be smart and cunning, be capable of magic), two careers (which give you a set of abilities/skills you start with, and pool of abilities/skills you can learn in any order), and a race (which determines your stats, gives a few abilities, and potentially a few career / archetype restrictions). The system doesn't prevent you from picking Savagery + Protector (using your example), and the career options are typically broader than your grouping.

13. - Top - End - #253

BlackDragon

FWIW?
    This has been posted several times, and I can't find the meaning anywhere.

For me, the annoyance with 3x bloat, was that all the splat books were cranked out so fast (a lot of the time without Playtesting and seemingly no concerns for balance with the core rules; especially with 3rd party stuff) and usually (to me) obviously using the popularity of the open system to just make a grab for money. Now, there were a few things that I found interesting, but (usually) one Feat, Class, or Prestige Class out of the entire book was about it.
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

FWIW?
    This has been posted several times, and I can't find the meaning anywhere.

For me, the annoyance with 3x bloat, was that all the splat books were cranked out so fast (a lot of the time without Playtesting and seemingly no concerns for balance with the core rules; especially with 3rd party stuff) and usually (to me) obviously using the popularity of the open system to just make a grab for money. Now, there were a few things that I found interesting, but (usually) one Feat, Class, or Prestige Class out of the entire book was about it.
    "For What It's Worth", usually.

15. - Top - End - #255

BlackDragon

Thanks, Max_Killjoy!

IKRPG = Iron Kingdoms?
    Something to look into.

Sometimes figuring out what the letters stand for, and remembering them all, is a challenge.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    The d6 version of IKRPG is kind of similar. You pick an archetype (massive melee damage / be a strong man, lots of attacks / be dexterous and skilled, buff allies / be smart and cunning, be capable of magic), two careers (which give you a set of abilities/skills you start with, and pool of abilities/skills you can learn in any order), and a race (which determines your stats, gives a few abilities, and potentially a few career / archetype restrictions). The system doesn't prevent you from picking Savagery + Protector (using your example), and the career options are typically broader than your grouping.
    Thanks for the info! I'd be interested to see how something like that compares to 5e DnD.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

17. - Top - End - #257

Thanks, Max_Killjoy!

Sometimes figuring out what the letters stand for, and remembering them all, is a challenge.
    25 years of Internet forums and despite my deliberate attempts to avoid acronyms for this specific reason, they still sneak into my posts sometimes. My apologies.

18. - Top - End - #258

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    25 years of Internet forums and despite my deliberate attempts to avoid acronyms for this specific reason, they still sneak into my posts sometimes. My apologies.
    That's ok. I do the same thing.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

IKRPG = Iron Kingdoms?
    Yeah, Iron Kingdoms RPG, or the full name is Iron Kingdoms Full Metal Fantasy RPG.

Thanks for the info! I'd be interested to see how something like that compares to 5e DnD.
    More variety of character options in creation, less balance (comes from the lack of bounded accuracy, resulting in most races being able to stack either the chance to avoid attacks or their damage resistance to the point where even elite soldiers can't threaten them, but siege weapons can). The way 2d6 works, though, means that there is a much more reasonable probability curve for skills (novices and masters are both relatively competent at easy tasks, while masters are MUCH better than novices at epic tasks).
    The way magic works (at-will, allowing so many points to be spent per 2 turns, rather than per day) allows it to be kept in line with non-magical methods of combat, and the system's focus on having almost only combat spells means that skills still get used at all tiers of play.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Barbarian in the Playground

Again, that's dependent on the DM.
    Only if they have no-one/nothing other than The Raven Queen....
    Remember that the Black Razor is Sentient and Evil. The DM determines the creator, and it might not be something the Character would really have a way to know about.
    Ah, so multiclassing paladin and hexblade is bad in every example because it doesn't work thematically if the DM goes out of their way to... not make it work thematically. The point?

Even without ”selling your soul”, your dedicating yourself to something in a similar manner to an Oath. The idea behind Paladins and Warlocks is that making an Oath not only grants power, but is binding.
    Yup, fully binding. Sure, I can accept that. Except that unlike the Paladin's Oath which has core tenants that are eternal, a Warlock's Pact could be as simple as "fetch me this item." Hell, it could be a retro-active "for services unknowingly rendered." For gods' sake, the Paladin might not even know. Mysterious powerful higher beings after all.

And how about:
    Deity: “And how, exactly, is the power that I grant you not enough?”
    Or
    “Are you aware that the weapon in question was made by a being that, while not directly opposed, is not in alignment with either my ideals, my duties, nor my goals?”
    See my first response.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    It's slightly more complicated than that. The analogy would be that I for example don't like tomatoes, so no one at my house gets to eat tomatoes. Now, there might be a good reason why no one at my house shouldn't eat tomatoes, but not liking eating tomatoes myself is not a good reason, or at least that's what is being argued.
    Except there is no house. There is a game of D&D, and nobody is forcing anyone to play. So nobody has the power to force anyone to eat tomatoes. Eat them or don’t. End of story.

Analogies aside, restricting player options does make sense a lot of times. For example, a DM might not want their players to play evil characters because that might hurt the campaign. That could be for example because the DM has imagined of a story that works a lot better for heroes than for villains. Or simply because the DM has no interest in playing a game where he would be forced to have the game world interact with the pc's in certain ways, such as having to play the authorities chasing after the murderhobo pc's. To me, something like that is very understandable. I am looking to hear for reasons as to why something similar should hold for say, multiclass characters. To be honest, I don't think there are any compelling reasons for that, and I think that asking a lot of ''why'' is the best way to make an absurd position collapse in on itself.
    Again, where the restrictions lie is an arbitrary line. You might feel that you’re not restricting anything, but you are. You’re restricting the game to what is in the book. But why?

Why restrict multi-classing to characters with 13s in the relevant ability scores? I think it should be 10, not 13. Someone else thinks it should be unrestricted by ability score. Why do only Mountain Dwarves get armor proficiency, but not halflings? I want my halfling to get armor proficiency.

It’s all arbitrary. Including the rules in the PHB.

In 2e, Dwarves could not be wizards. Why? Because. That’s all.

Everyone restricts at some point. Ask yourself why. Take that reason, and apply it to why someone else restricts mticlassing. It’s that simple. It’s taste. It’s arbitrary.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, so multiclassing paladin and hexblade is bad in every example because it doesn't work thematically if the DM goes out of their way to... not make it work thematically. The point?

Yup, fully binding. Sure, I can accept that. Except that unlike the Paladin's Oath which has core tenants that are eternal, a Warlock's Pact could be as simple as "fetch me this item." Hell, it could be a retro-active "for services unknowingly rendered." For gods' sake, the Paladin might not even know. Mysterious powerful higher beings after all.

See my first response.
    Or even while game mechanically it's multiclassing in character it's just the character as one class/being. You can focus on the Pact to say the ability to smite is a power granted as part of the Pact, a type of invocation. You can focus on the Oath and say the deity's blessings provide the ability to unleash raw force power instead of or delaying an aura.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

These kind of threads (limiting player autonomy/options) is why I can deal with the the decision of the shop where we play AL that no one is turned away unless there are no DMs.

The AL organizer there is a proponent of there are enough limits in AL as WOTC has spoken from on high as it is.

What a private game does is their problem but the organized gaming sessions do get the tables first. I would really hate to show up for an AL game and be told my legal build character was not allowed in a game because of DM prejudice/fiat.

I see no reason to limit multi-classing. But then I think PHB+1 is a sign of haste to publish on the part of WOTC.

Back to your discussion.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZorroGames View Post
    I see no reason to limit multi-classing. But then I think PHB+1 is a sign of haste to publish on the part of WOTC.
    On related matter, I kinda agree on seeing no reason to limit multi-classing, except by recommending to think the "why" part of it.

However, I've come to understand that PHB+1 is purely because they want to reduce the amount of books from which each player draws their characters' abilities. PHB+1 keeps things relatively simple.
    Plus, it's lesser books to have to carry around by each player, so that's a bonus, I guess. (I don't mind carrying a few kilos of extra. It's good exercise for otherwise very stationary hobby )
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    However, I've come to understand that PHB+1 is purely because they want to reduce the amount of books from which each player draws their characters' abilities. PHB+1 keeps things relatively simple.
    Plus, it's lesser books to have to carry around by each player, so that's a bonus, I guess. (I don't mind carrying a few kilos of extra. It's good exercise for otherwise very stationary hobby )
    And thus reduce the necessary buy in, both for players and for DMs. It strongly limits the interactions available.

Quote Originally Posted by ZorroGames View Post
    What a private game does is their problem but the organized gaming sessions do get the tables first. I would really hate to show up for an AL game and be told my legal build character was not allowed in a game because of DM prejudice/fiat.
    This is just me, but I find the idea of sitting down at a fresh table with an already generated character to be...wrong. Unless it's organized play (official or not), where there are hard-and-fast rules already in place. To me, character creation and the associated rules happen at session 0, and they're mainly dictated by the setting and the proposed campaign. So "legal build character"(s) just don't exist until there's a table to play at. I guess I don't expect that everything's available until told otherwise; I assume that I'll be told what exists in the world/setting/campaign and anything else just isn't there to be chosen from. To each their own.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

26. - Top - End - #266

BlackDragon

For all that I have posted, I will allow just about anything into my games.
    (Normally I don't allow Bugbear, Yuan-ti or Gnoll PCs, but a good Character idea and story can convince me.)

I might ask "why?" But, that's about it.

I love it when the Players work with me on building their Histories.

So far, all my Players like my games.

I don't do (play or run) AL, since I like to have more options available for both myself and my Players.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-04-19 at 10:46 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    And thus reduce the necessary buy in, both for players and for DMs. It strongly limits the interactions available.
    Oh, absolutely. I've never been a fan of AL. My interest for playing AL is greatly diminished by the absolutely ridiculous "PHB+1" restriction. If the player wants to make a character using bits and pieces from three or more books, then go for it. Whether I'm a DM or a player, I'm bringing them all with me anyway, and everyone at our table can borrow them if they need to check out something. It's not like the books would contaminate or something.

To be honest, Pathfinder Society is a much better in that they don't really restrict players as much as AL (of course, as a similarly globally overseen living campaign there are some restrictions in place, but they're fine as they are).
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2019-04-19 at 03:30 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014