New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Eating radioacitivity and electricity

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Huh, I didn't know there were that many photosensitive pigments already (also, it's weird to consider two blue-green and yellow-green and then claim none are green)
    I mean, I feel like I should have known but I didn't.
    But still, there's still much untapped. Infrared! Ultraviolet! Be more efficient, you lazy chloroplasts !

(and yes, I know there are reasons but I can still complain)
    Red pigments for absorbing green lights occur, as far as I know, mostly in algae. The colour of which mostly depends on how deep in the water they are and which frequencies of light get absorbed before they get down there.

But again. It's just simpler to plaster the whole leaf area with the same pigment that works well enough, instead of having the metabolic machinery of using and producing a dozen pigments. And leaf area is limited, of course. Think of it like solars cells, if solar cells came in "absorbs red", "absorbs blue" and "absorbs green" when you have a limited area to put them: there's not much advantage to putting green solar cells on half your roof and blue solar cells on the other half.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Eating radioacitivity and electricity

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    The claim I see is that none absorb well in the green-yellow region. It's perfectly normal for a X color pigment to not absorb X color light -- you assign the color of a pigment by the color of the light it reflects, not by the color of the light it absorbs.
    Phycoerythrine, in red algae and some cyanobacteria (blue algae) that live deep down where most blue light gets absorbed by the water. Very red, absorbs mainly at 529-534 nanometers, which is bright green to yellowish green.

Last edited by Eldan; 2019-05-07 at 02:28 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist