1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

New teaser is here!!!

Glorious Link

Spoiler
    Show
    Lando is BACK
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2019-04-12 at 02:30 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Star Wars Ep IX Trailer: The Rise of Skywalker

I'm hesitantly intrigued, but not remotely near excited. Billy Dee Williams back in the Falcon was neat, but fingers are crossed he doesn't bite the dust in the film.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Episode IX - Rise of the Skywalker

Your thread beat mine by a min! XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought TLJ had killed my interest in the franchise, but the trailer didn't leave me as cold as I expected. I could even say it looked good.

Still:

A) Rise of the Skywalker? Really? How could it be without retconning TLJ to oblivion?
    B) I really hope they don't ruin Lando too, but that's a tall order.
    C) Palpatine? Dark Empire was one of the worst parts of old EU. I cheered when they wrote it out of canon, and now they're bringing it back? Why?
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Excuse me, that title is wrong. I believe it should be "LANDO'S BACK BABY!"
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

So the actual title I'm seeing is 'The Rise of Skywalker' not Rise of the Skywalker, which is so much worse.

Aside from the bad title and a half-second of Lando, this trailer reveals nothing of consequence. It's just two minutes of people running around in the desert. There's no interesting well, anything, in it at all. It's a big nothingburger, which hardly offers hope that this movie will untangle the knot TLJ left them in and find a way to offer a satisfying conclusion.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2019-04-12 at 02:03 PM.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Aside from the bad title and a half-second of Lando, this trailer reveals nothing of consequence.
    That's why it's called a teaser, not a trailer.

And I know you already addressed it, but regardless...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Meh. It's a new Star Wars movie. Sith man wants to kill a bunch of people and Jedi tries to stop them. Could be good, could be bad. Though thus far I haven't cared for any of the Disney Star Wars films.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Is Lando Bender from Futurama now?

Also...

Rise of Skywalker...
    Skywalkers have been Jedi...
    Jedi...
    Rise of Skywalker...Return of the Jedi...

Nope. I don't see any parallels.
    Last edited by Magic_Hat; 2019-04-12 at 01:58 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Psh. Bender wishes. He had to make his own Lando. With black jack! And hookers!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I'm pretty sure the working title was 'Die In A Fire, Rian Johnson'.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh goody. Can't wait to see how they ruin Lando like all the rest of the characters. Part of me was really, really hoping we wouldn't see his return. And I swear, if they actually bring Palpatine back in any fashion beyond a flashback I will riot. Let the OT cast have at least one victory that isn't completely overturned by the new movies. They already failed at any kind of healing from the Empire. They already lost the next generation. They already turned into shells of their former selves. Can the damn emperor at least remain actually dead? Please?
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

12. - Top - End - #12

Really? Y'all leaving all the optimism up to me? I will shoulder this burden, then. Ep 9, y'all ! WOOOOOOOOOO!

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Not gonna lie, I laughed.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Meh. It's a new Star Wars movie. Sith man wants to kill a bunch of people and Jedi tries to stop them. Could be good, could be bad. Though thus far I haven't cared for any of the Disney Star Wars films.

Also...

Rise of Skywalker...
    Skywalkers have been Jedi...
    Jedi...
    Rise of Skywalker...Return of the Jedi...

Nope. I don't see any parallels.
    Hate to break it to you, but Star wars has always done, if not repeated history, stuff that rhymes. Check out knights of the old republic, or the prequels, or the expanded universe. It's the same damn thing every time. (Republic faces grave threat, empire like evil faces heroes, republic is back on top. Over and over again.)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but Star wars has always done, if not repeated history, stuff that rhymes. Check out knights of the old republic, or the prequels, or the expanded universe. It's the same damn thing every time. (Republic faces grave threat, empire like evil faces heroes, republic is back on top. Over and over again.)
    Oh I'm aware of that. And like most series is it too much to ask they try something new.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    Uhhh... Eps IV-VI kind of don't really have a Republic. to face a grave thread or be back on top.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Default Re: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

That's Palpatine laughing at the end, right after the line about no one being gone forever. So...yeah. Not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand the series desperately needs a good villain and Kylo is not it. On the other hand, it kinda invalidates Vader's whole sacrifice if Palps just comes back after.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    And I am ok with that. Hell, go ahead and just pretend Episode 8 didn't happen and rename this one Episode 8, I'll go along with it.

Being slightly more serious, this looks better than the teaser for TLJ did, though I'm not happy about that title. On top of that, this looks like this is what Episode 8 should have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Eh. Same reaction as pretty much all of the Disney Star Wars movies... Actually basically all of the nucanon.

With more skullpalms, like "Why is the T/I flying precisely low enough Rey can jump on it?" C'mon, unless you have started Doing A Zaarin and putting shields on them, no TIE should be sacrficing literally their only selling point, their manuverability...

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    That's Palpatine laughing at the end, right after the line about no one being gone forever. So...yeah. Not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand the series desperately needs a good villain and Kylo is not it. On the other hand, it kinda invalidates Vader's whole sacrifice if Palps just comes back after.
    They did it in the EU...

If Our Hero Palps is back, though, I might even be mildly interested. After, y'know, I send some other gullible muppet to check it out first.

Also, "end of the saga?"

Suuuuure it is.

(Unless Disney have managed to do so badly they they and EA have entirely killed Star Wars harder than the New Jedi Order, which I find difficult to believe, no matter how banal I think the nucanon is personally.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-04-12 at 03:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Everything about this looks ridiculous.

Literally the first thing that came to my mind was 'tell me she's not going to jump over a speeding TIE fighter'.

Everything about it is just ridiculous. And not funny ridiculous, just bad ridiculous. From the SUPER SERIAL CONCENTRATING STANCE to the laughable slow-motion wire-fu. Add on to the ridiculous Kylo scene of 'hey guys I have a lightsaber. So instead of cutting this guy in half as I walk past, I'm going to slam my fist his chest and throw him to the ground'.

I literally laughed at how bad it was. /facepalm

Then the pandering memberberries with Lando and Palpatine laughing.

Yeah, probably not going to see it unless multiple reviewers I actually listen to tell me its amazing.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2019-04-12 at 03:48 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Eh. Same reaction as pretty much all of the Disney Star Wars movies... Actually basically all of the nucanon.

With more skullpalms, like "Why is the T/I flying precisely low enough Rey can jump on it?" C'mon, unless you have started Doing A Zaarin and putting shields on them, no TIE should be sacrficing literally their only selling point, their manuverability...
    Going by X-Wing the Not! TIE/LN starfighters have some weak shielding, less than the TIE Avenger (which was only 40 SBD compared to the T-65's 50 SBD, not a huge difference) and less than the TIE Phantom. While I don't have the hard numbers for the Phantom or the NO TIE, the Phantom has the same Shield rating as the X-Wing in hte X-Wing Minis game and that seems consistent with its portrayls in other media.

The NO TIE, however, has a shield rating of 1, half that of the T-65 and the shielded TIE variants that the Empire produced. Yes I know that the one doing the Bull Rush is Kylo's TIE and so it probably has better shields, but the thing is also built off of a TIE Interceptor chasis (or at least it's basica design is inspired by said fighter) which means that its really, really fast and agile. So it's still stupid.

Yes, the scene was neat and all, but that doesn't stop the situation from being dumb. Stop making Kylo any dumber than he already was, he doesn't need help.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2019-04-12 at 03:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    They did it in the EU...
    I know a lot of people followed the EU and cared about it, but I am not one of those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Everything about this looks ridiculous.

Literally the first thing that came to my mind was 'tell me she's not going to jump over a speeding TIE fighter'.

Everything about it is just ridiculous. And not funny ridiculous, just bad ridiculous. From the SUPER SERIAL CONCENTRATING STANCE to the laughable slow-motion wire-fu. Add on to the ridiculous Kylo scene of 'hey guys I have a lightsaber. So instead of cutting this guy in half as I walk past, I'm going to slam my fist his chest and throw him to the ground'.

I literally laughed at how bad it was. /facepalm

Then the pandering memberberries with Lando and Palpatine laughing.

Yeah, probably not going to see it unless multiple reviewers I actually listen to tell me its amazing.
    I thought it was stupid too. Like, they're trying to make it seem like the thing is moving quick but it massively slows down for her to jump over it.

22. - Top - End - #22

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    A) Rise of Skywalker? Really? How could it be without retconning TLJ to oblivion?
    Kylo Ren's real name is Ben Solo, but his mother was a Skywalker. Whether he decides to take after his grandfather or his uncle, he is the last of the Skywalker line (as far as we know) so the "rise" in the title could well be a reference to him either as a Sith warlord or as a redeemed hero.

Or... after his sacrifice in TLJ and how that ended with the small children telling of his legend, maybe "The Skywalker" becomes an unofficial title for "the one who will defeat the Sith" in his honour, like a new prophecy arises? There's ways it could be spun other than "Luke Skywalker is being brought back from the dead and they're making episode VIII pointless".

Either way, I think I'm looking forward to Episode IX. I liked TLJ - it had a lot of stupid bits in it and I wish it was better, but I enjoyed it and I'm glad that i have watched it. Now, I want to know how the saga concludes and I like what little has been suggested so far.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Going by X-Wing the Not! TIE/LN starfighters have some weak shielding, less than the TIE Avenger (which was only 40 SBD compared to the T-65's 50 SBD, not a huge difference) and less than the TIE Phantom. While I don't have the hard numbers for the Phantom or the NO TIE, the Phantom has the same Shield rating as the X-Wing in hte X-Wing Minis game and that seems consistent with its portrayls in other media.

The NO TIE, however, has a shield rating of 1, half that of the T-65 and the shielded TIE variants that the Empire produced. Yes I know that the one doing the Bull Rush is Kylo's TIE and so it probably has better shields, but the thing is also built off of a TIE Interceptor chasis (or at least it's basica design is inspired by said fighter) which means that its really, really fast and agile. So it's still stupid.

Yes, the scene was neat and all, but that doesn't stop the situation from being dumb. Stop making Kylo any dumber than he already was, he doesn't need help.
    The TIE Silencer is reminiscent in shape of the Interceptor, but it is closer in heritage to the Tie Advanced X1, and it is equipped with a hyperdrive and deflector shielding.

Edit: Oops, my mistake. Watching the trailer again, that TIE has a different chassis than Ren's Silencer. So yeah, it may be an updated Interceptor since they share the same Spherical centre.
    Last edited by monomer; 2019-04-12 at 05:18 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

It'd be nice if "Skywalker" becomes some sort of alternate name for Jedi in the verse.

Especially if Rey develops a new philosophy out of the original teachings

25. - Top - End - #25
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    And I am ok with that. Hell, go ahead and just pretend Episode 8 didn't happen and rename this one Episode 8, I'll go along with it.

Being slightly more serious, this looks better than the teaser for TLJ did, though I'm not happy about that title. On top of that, this looks like this is what Episode 8 should have been.
    Yeah, the title fits what I was expecting and hoping for from TLJ, but... every known Skywalker is dead now, so how could it be "The Rise of Skywalker" without being a prequel?

I watched TLJ in large part to see a Jedi Master who's had decades to hone his skills remind everyone of why he's a legend. Instead, I got a grumpy old man who'd given up, and whose motivation for doing so did not feel convincing. The Force hologram trick at the end fit what I'd wanted to see, and the moment where he ostentatiously brushes off a bit of dust after having taken extended focus fire from the entire enemy force is great, but it was too little and too late.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Ohhh, cool new teaser but...uh...it doesn't really show anything? Its hard to be more hype when we don't really know anything.

I mean, I'm still hyped for this movie after TLJ and still enjoy TLJ and TFA, so probably in a minority. XD Sorry Star Wars, all my hype is reserved for Endgame and King of the Monsters right now.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    It'd be nice if "Skywalker" becomes some sort of alternate name for Jedi in the verse.

Especially if Rey develops a new philosophy out of the original teachings
    Skywalker becoming a symbolic name does sound like the most interesting option. I think "The Rise of the Skywalker" would be a better title in that case, though.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

This look great. But I can't shake the feeling that I wish Force Awaken was telling this story.
    Really? Y'all leaving all the optimism up to me? I will shoulder this burden, then. Ep 9, y'all ! WOOOOOOOOOO!
    I got you covered. I'm hyped. Not as hyped as I could be, but still excited. And I'm intrigued by Sidious laughing at the end. Are we going to see Force Ghosts fighting?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Well, damn. Palpatine, huh? I mean, on the one hand, that does address one of my major criticisms of the sequels, the lack of a credible, threatening villain. On the other hand there are so many problems with it that I don't even know where to start. It plays right into Abrams' noticeable tendency to just rehash the originals from TFA in the worst way, literally bringing back one of their main antagonists, and that despite us having seen him die. It was done once before in the EU, and while I didn't read that story (I think it was a comics thing rather than a novel?), I thought it was a dumb idea the first time I heard of it, and I've heard secondhand that it went no better than I would have expected. And on top of that it's another step towards making the entire original trilogy not matter at all, erasing another of the things the heroes accomplished there. Just... oof.

Yeah, my decision to not see this unless reactions from people who didn't like the sequels so far are surprisingly positive very much stands.

I'm guessing that for many of us, optimism for the sequels died in TLJ. I know the last small vestiges of mine gave up the ghost at the same time as Luke, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Yeah, the title fits what I was expecting and hoping for from TLJ, but... every known Skywalker is dead now, so how could it be "The Rise of Skywalker" without being a prequel?
    Easy: they're going to retcon Rey's parentage so that she's a Skywalker. Seriously, that is almost certainly what's going to happen, I think, even though that makes even less sense now than it would have if they'd done it in TLJ. And a pity, too, her parents being nobodies is on the very short list of things I did like in TLJ.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the audacity of a disney title saying Luke can still get it up. Way to go, mouse.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill: