Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Predictions on what V's 9th level spells will be?

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Crushing hand didn't bother Xykon much even before he got his new boots. Which is what makes it a good spell to take, narratively speaking. It will not affect anything in any substantial way.
    It made him waste a turn and a meteor swarm.

Why bother both showing the loot and explaining what it does, if it'll never be of any use? Checkov's shotgun and all.

I believe O'Chul gave the party a list of spells and items Xykon has, which they'll have been able to prepare against. But they can't prepare against his new loot. I'm assuming it'll be relevant.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    It made him waste a turn and a meteor swarm.

Why bother both showing the loot and explaining what it does, if it'll never be of any use? Checkov's shotgun and all.

I believe O'Chul gave the party a list of spells and items Xykon has, which they'll have been able to prepare against. But they can't prepare against his new loot. I'm assuming it'll be relevant.
    Vaarsuvius took a turn casting Crushing Hand, so wasting Xykon's time is meaningless without something to stall for. I notice also that the Still Meteor Swarm damaged Vaarsuvius.

Even if the net result were only that they each went down a spell, that may also be tactically detrimental to Vaarsuvius if Xykon has more spell slots than Vaarsuvius.

Of course, that just means that *that* Crushing Hand was wasted. In a 6v1 it sounds plenty versatile, and it seems Vaarsuvius is aiming for versatility over raw power when it comes to strategy.
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    Vaarsuvius took a turn casting Crushing Hand, so wasting Xykon's time is meaningless without something to stall for. I notice also that the Still Meteor Swarm damaged Vaarsuvius.
    You already noted how it's a much greater tradeoff when it's not a one-on-one fight, but V was hurt because they were too close to Xykon when he Meteor Swarmed himself. Of course, Big X can aim each sphere at a different target, so it's not as if distance guarantees safety.
    Cuthalion's avatars rock. Like this very fine dragon he made me.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Colossus in the Playground

I think the primary function of Xykon's new boots, is that they let Rich draw him with boots from now on.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

5. - Top - End - #125

Doesn't Xykon say their purpose is so he doesn't accidentally knock off toe bones all the time? Or was that a joke someone made?
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Doesn't Xykon say their purpose is so he doesn't accidentally knock off toe bones all the time? Or was that a joke someone made?
    No, he really did say that.
    So my bet for the final battle will be a strategy, where someone strips Xykon's boots of and he will be defeated by loss of toe bones...

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    No, he really did say that.
    So my bet for the final battle will be a strategy, where someone strips Xykon's boots of and he will be defeated by loss of toe bones...
    Imagine the ABD fight, but ABD forgot about Anti-Magic Field and so is actually trapped for 24 hours while V finally trances, refreshes all the things, and kicks jet black butt.

Also, I imagine that "Rich can draw Xykon with boots" is actually accurate: with so much snow, bone feet are more likely to go poorly aesthetically meaning that Xykon wearing boots is a better design choice.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-04-27 at 10:34 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It shall be swift and ruthless. Unless any Ruths intend to join, in which case it shall be ruthful.
    Purple is the color of humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is the color of serious conversation about theoretical ideas, if transitioning from other stuff
    Blue is the color of irony and sarcasm

In the end, its all in the cards...

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Imagine the ABD fight, but ABD forgot about Anti-Magic Field and so is actually trapped for 24 hours while V finally trances, refreshes all the things, and kicks jet black butt.
    To be fair, the joke was about loss of toe bones, not loss of FoM.

Also, I imagine that "Rich can draw Xykon with boots" is actually accurate: with so much snow, bone feet are more likely to go poorly aesthetically meaning that Xykon wearing boots is a better design choice.
    It's certainly why Rich went for boots instead of, say, a ring or vest, I imagine.
    Awesome custom psywar avatar made by Coronalwave. Thanks dude!

Most of my old signature has been moved to the new extended signature.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    To be fair, the joke was about loss of toe bones, not loss of FoM.
    I was going with the fact that Xykon can fly. He doesn't *need* feet if he can fly, though having feet is prefered, and so Xykon being nearly immobilized by losing his feet is tantamount to the ABD forgetting she could use Anti-Magic Field to break out of the Forcecage.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It shall be swift and ruthless. Unless any Ruths intend to join, in which case it shall be ruthful.
    Purple is the color of humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is the color of serious conversation about theoretical ideas, if transitioning from other stuff
    Blue is the color of irony and sarcasm

In the end, its all in the cards...

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

But maybe popped-off toe bone off a lich is a material component for some über-spell?

11. - Top - End - #131

Having feet helps not turning into a total chump the moment you walk into an AMF.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.