New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Modern fantasy esq setting

i have a few months to prepare a new setting for the weekly DnD i dm throughout the year, i proposed a few rough ideas, modern fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk, etc, after a bit of conversing they came back to me with modern fantasy.
    essentially they are yokai, fantasy creatures, and beings who exist in modern society, i know full well this is used greatly in manga, comics and the like, but i wanted to give it a shot anyway. i have a few rough ideas about how each one lives and how secretive they are, the actual system wouldn't change and we'd still be using the same roleplay and fighting mechanic and races from dnd, plus a few extras, but i'm not too sure, nothing is set in stone yet, and i wanted to hear any advice about this kind of thing.
    thank you

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Modern fantasy esq setting

I wouldn't use D&D for such a campaign. There are more RPGs out there that can do it better. D20 modern would probably be the one closest to D&D. Savage Worlds is also a possibility. You could also ask your players if there is a RPG they'd really like to try.

It sounds a bit like you haven't decided on what the campaign will be about yet. I think City of Mist actually does a great job of creating a modern fantasy campaign setting, but I'm not sure about the rules. (I definitely hate the way the rules are presented, but that's a different story.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Personally there are two different ways you could go with this, either put it in the wilderness in which case it'll probably look something pretty similar to normal D&D, just with a few touches here and there to give a modern flair (and perhaps rebranding of the monsters).

Alternatively you could go the Urban route and set the entire thing in Cities. Here you need to be creative. Are Yokai consigned to the shadows, exisiting only in darkness and stories, or are they a massive part of their society? (To give a pop culture reference are they treated more like Vampires or Pokemon). Which one you want to go with depends entirely on you. If you go the shadows and darkness route I can see something like Eldritch Horror with the PCs fighting in Sewers to save their society. Integrating them into the society could prove much more difficult but would probably lead to an unforgettable world for your players if you pull it off.

Thats my two bits worth at any rate. I agree that you should certainly consider going with D20 Modern just to save you some of the hassle of refluffing the D&D mechanics to fit the modern world, but again up to you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

I'm going to get a little crazy here, and suggest you go WoD. You can probably tweak an existing character type to work for each of your players. Between the different changelings, vampires, kiei-jin, shapeshifters, fomori, wraiths, mages, mummies, and hunters you have plenty of variety to choose from. The setting/adversaries/rule system are all ready to go. As a bonus, the rules are fairly simple. It could be a much easier fit than something on a D20 chassis.