New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Default Re: DocWagon Seattle First Response (Renton)

Sam plays with his comlink until he thinks he is set up on the private channel
    [Hows this?]

While looking for the mentioned scanner he asks, "Ok how do things normally happen around here."

He knew the general drill, but this team was already working, and it was his job to integrate into how they did things. Plus he was new and everything he might think he knows could be total wrong

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Darryl

[Thank you. I got the message]

Darryl adjusts his prayer beads and bible and thinks about how to answer Samuel's question. He eventually realizes that Samuel was looking at the scanner when he asked and says, "Fer sum reason... 'DW' has done set up the system so's dat whens a bracelet done goes off, cause they did done getted shot of sumfin, we'all gets sent dare. We'all fly in and den cast 'bout lukin for sumone wid a bracelet. We'all use dat there scanner to check dat its da right guy and dat he's paid up. We'all then hauls his broken body to hospital."

I still don't understand. If the collar has a strong enough signal to reach all the way to DWHQ, why don't they check the ID and verify the account is paid in full before dispatching us. Well, its my first day... no sense in rocking the boat.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

[Just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page and let Sam know the general plan.]

Jacob half-seriously points his index finger at Darryl, speaking in a more relaxed tone, "Ain't a bad system - saved my neck a few times. Hell, I wouldn't be here today, if DW didn't come through when it really counted. Speaking of feeling better, how are you doing, Darryl? You helped us good, but we've got plenty of time left in the shift. If your head is hurting, maybe Sam here can do something about it." And figure out where the supplies are before we've got a client to rescue.

He begins to check over both of the Predators on his waist, proceeding onto the Alpha, in a practiced, almost mechanical fashion. It is better to focus on the next task ahead of them and be ready, than to idly think about what just happened and let it bounce around in his head too much.

4. - Top - End - #154

Sam begins looking through the drawers and things that hold the medical supplies, "Lets see what we got for a magic use induced headache." As he begins looking things over he summarizes, "So in a nut shell Jupiter gets the call, Flip gets us there ASAP. You guys work out the tactical situation, telling me when to jump and how high. We find the client using the scanner, I stabilize and prep the client for movement, and we getem out. It seemed straight forward enough, the problems would be in the details

Ahh here we are," he finds a small bottle and shakes as few small pills into his hand. To Darryl he says, "You should take tw..." he looks the large troll up and down and make a rough estimate of body mass. "Lets make that three of these." and he hands over three pills

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

11:00pm
    At the Standby Point

Just after Darryl swallows the three pills, the pain of his mild headache lifts, but not fully. It has become much lighter, and more of an annoyance than anything else at the moment.

{1 box of Stun healed for Darryl}

The Lone Star feeds are pretty well cluttered with the fallout from the scene you were all just at: officers reporting shots fired, people in need of medical attention, calling for yet more backup, and so on. It seems that the persons responsible for the mess in the first place have been apprehended by the medium of crashing two squad cars into the fleeing vehicle.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Flip

Flip tells Samuel through the holes in the wall behind him, "Yeah, sounds like you've pretty much got the basic idea, but I'll be damned if it's ever gone anywhere near as easy as you just made it sound."

He sits in silence for a few minutes, listening to the feeds from LoneStar. When he finally speaks it is to say, "Well, glad to hear the drekheads who started all that got caught. I wonder what coulda been worth all that."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Darryl

After giving the pills some time to work, Darryl nods and says, "Yeet, that bein' a bit better. I can still be feeling a little ache, but nuffin' that should be hampering my ability to pray for y'all. With a bitta luck, and a kind word from the Lord, we might have a break till after midnight."

I wonder if DW sends a bill to anyone we go to get and find that they don't have a valid account anymore. Helicopter fees, fuel, payroll, etc. Ouch
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2007-11-24 at 01:30 PM.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

8. - Top - End - #158

Finding various slap patches, bandages, medicines, and medical tools, there were more things then he had really expected to find. But there was something he was expecting and hadn’t seen, or at least hadn’t recognized. “Stretcher?”

Once someone points it out to him he takes a good look at it. Not recognizing how to use it he does a quick search on-line with his comlink to find a users manual or something.

All the while keeping the conversation going with the others, “So how has it really gone?” He knew they were missing a Tac Support so that meant not well, but the detail could make a difference

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Flip

Flip manuevers the pilot easily around the standard waiting pattern as he continues the conversation. "Well, the newbs aren't working out too bad. See, I'm the only one left here that's been on the job for more than tonight. Syber and I were all that were left after the old team got broken up. We've had a couple of tough extractions so far tonight. Syber got taken down at one, but it sounds like he'll be okay. It was just dumb luck there really. We do dangerous work, and those damn LoneStar drones don't make it any easier."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

The stretcher is actually sitting out and open on the patient bed, which is also sitting open. It would seem that Syber was the only one who knew how to fold it up properly. Sam's efforts to locate a manual for it in the Matrix prove fruitless, as he has no part number, company of manufacture, or model name. Browsing by picture produces more results than he could possibly wade through in several hours.

Spoiler
    Show
    Only Flip can access Jupiter's AI and file system (without hacking, that is). Flip can contact Dispatch directly through the copter, though anyone can call the front office and try to get through to someone who might have information. Just an FYI.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Jacob

Jacob sighs a bit and looks at Samuel, "No mission ever goes exactly as planned, especially not a rush job - and all of these extractions are just that." He makes a spitting motion and speaks more passionately, and angrily, in Flip's general direction, "Half of those idiot riggers should never be allowed to go near a combat drone - some of them haven't patrolled in person more than 3 months after the academy, if at all. They think it's all like a game, even count up the perps they took down. And then you've got the ones who do 'well enough' to make it into a Fragging Retard Team. Drekheads, who spray down the scene first and blow it up later. The only question they ask is, 'Is it still moving?'"

He stops, and unclenches his right fist, which he has been squeezing tightly during the last few sentences. Shaking his head slightly, he settles down and goes silent again.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Darryl

Darryl nods along to Jacob's words of wisdom and then offers a few of his own, "Fear not. For as y'all walk through that there valley of evil riggers and their autofire drones, the Lord is with you. Even though your plan may not go as expected, it is all going just fine according to His plan."

Darryl pauses to contemplate what God had in store for Syber, but is unable and then adds, "I know is to difficult to understand the will of God. I just have to be keepin' in mind that I don't have the wisdom to grasp the plans of his omniscient and omnipotent will."

I wonder if labor laws apply to this kind of work. Do we get a 30 minute break after 6 hours of work? I suppose I should have read that employment contract a little more closely.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Jacob

He sure is serious about this God stuff. Well, if it helps him keep his cool, he might as well worship little blue cubes. His stare is caught by the open stretcher, sitting on the patient bed. Guess it's my job to put it away now. Let me see if I can get how to do it. He opens the current recorded file on his commlink and goes back to when he saw Syber operating the stretcher. It is a little bit hard to make out the exact details, but he thinks he has some idea of how to do it.

He speaks to Flip, "Hey, keep her steady for a bit, I'm going to try my hand at putting away the stretcher and I don't want to fall on my ass." With that, he gets out of his harness, approaches the patient bed and starts to play with the devilish device, making some progress after a few failed attempts. Damn, let me try twisting that end first now. If I ever meet the guy who made this...

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Darryl

Darryl watches Jacob's efforts with the stretcher hopeful that watching will be sufficient to learn how to do it(once he figures it out).

While Jacob works at it Darryl murmurs various prayers as he figures the beads and cross he wears around his neck. He is thankful this job allows him ample oppertunity to practice his religious beliefs without interfering with the task at hand.

Amen

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Jacob

Eventually, after a few more attempts and some muttered cursing, Jake manages to close the stretcher properly. He shakes his head and wipes his forehead, taking off a thin sheen of sweat. "Whew" He gives everyone a satisfied smile and sits down in his seat, putting on his harness again. Idly scrolling through the Lone Star feeds he has been ignoring while working on the stretcher, he relaxes a bit in his seat. Ah, real nice quiet time. As they've always told us - a boring shift is a beautiful thing. I should ask Flip if he got any id on that droid. Later though, no need to bring that up again so soon.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Interspersed amongst the reports from the earlier scene, a few of the Lone Star feeds mention a big to-do in Auburn. There is apparently some bank robbery/hostage situation going on there, and all of the Star's Auburn units have been called there. A DocWagon air unit, probably Kitty, the Auburn copter, apparently showed up, and the pilot did some sort of pretty amazing maneuver to get their team into the building on the fourth floor. Twice. Shortly thereafter, a Lone Star aerial unit was destroyed by some sort of missile the perps fired. Four men down.

11:20pm

Condition Serious - 10:00

The orange dot appears on the map about 1km north by northeast from the Standby Point. It looks like whatever it is, it happened on the 169, or maybe just next to it or under it. Flip can make a pretty good guess where exactly it is before he even shifts a control, as a huge fire erupts off in that direction, probably 30 meters into the air. The fire does not remain that high for long, but Flip can still tell where it is.

The orange dot updates as the copter gets moving.

Condition critical - 9:58

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Flip

"I'm going to have to congratulate ol' Chrome Dome when I see him in the pilot's lounge. Sounds like he's up to some fancy flying," Flip says more to himself than anyone else.

Suddenly seeing the bright light of the fire, and recieving the call, Flip almost shouts in his urgency. "Get yourself sat back down! I think that flash of fire over there is calling for us."

He moves slowly for only a second, giving Jacob time to get stabilized, then the copter takes a hard turn toward the source of the flames.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Jacob

Jake swears and grabs onto his seat as Flip swerves the helicopter. As soon as the helicopter steadies itself, he gets his helmet on and slings his bag over his shoulder, underneath the Alpha. He speaks loudly in the direction of the cabin, "Don't worry about me, get us there and get us down. Let me know when you have visual."

He gets up and moves to stand next to the helicopter door, holding onto the rappelling hook with his left hand. He speaks firmly and confidently to the other two, "Sam - get your gear together. Don't forget the stretcher and the scanner, they're your responsibility until we get to the client. Darryl, get yourself ready too."
    Last edited by Newbie101; 2007-11-28 at 10:21 PM. Reason: typo!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Darryl

Darryl looks over his shoulder and out the front window at the fire. Hmm.. may be that Michael isn't right for this one. Ah, well, lets take a look before we react.

As the copter starts to move and Darryl is told to prepare, he says, "Yeet, don-nah you worry none 'bout me. I can feel the Lord with me and my soul is prepared for whatever he wishes."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

11:21
    Condition critical - 9:33

Although the distance is short, Flip has to be careful to slow the copter down soon enough to not fully overshoot the location. Apparently, a helicopter has crashed into the 169, creating an enormous mess. The particular location is an overpass, with a two lane rand under neath it. There are no buildings right next to this part of either road, though there are plenty just a little further away.

It looks like the helicopter dropped something that a van just coming through the underpass caught, then the copter plowed into a couple of vehicles, which were then plowed into by other vehicles. The whole scene is a huge mess of burning vehicles and there are some obviously dead people in there. Where the orange dot is, there is a motorcycle on its side and not yet burning, but the rider is not in evidence. It doesn't look like there is actually a person there at all. There is a smashed up semi with no trailer hanging partway off the overpass that will probably fall onto the road below and smash into the cars there with just a little prodding in that direction.

Spoiler
    Show
    Map
    Not all vehicles are shown. I just added a couple to give the general idea. The area that is covered by fire is shown in red. This is a fairly large pile of cars already, and there is traffic backing up in all four directions. This part of Renton has several popular night spots, so there are plenty of people around. The underpass is actually covered with cars, and none of them are moving.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Jacob

Jake takes stock of the situation and speaks to the rest of the team, without looking away from the scene, "Flip, get us as close as you feel comfortable. We can jump out on top of a car again, if needed. I'll let you take care of announcing us, too. And you might as well let the people down below know they should get out from under that trailer. Sam, we need to be within fifteen meters of the patient for the scanner to pick up the transmitter and get a reading. So, be ready to get cozy with the fire down there. I'm sure you know better than I do what kind of medical gear you need. Darryl, anything you can do to keep that fire from spreading will be real swell. If you can put it out without getting anyone hurt, even better - my thermal is going crazy with the heat down there. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether you'll do more good in the chopper up high, or with us down below."

As he speaks, he is examining the area near and around the motorcycle, zooming in and sweeping the area in a circular pattern and hoping to catch some hint of where their patient might be.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activating wired reflexes and spending several rounds (until we get to 'landing') observing the area in detail, looking for any hint of our client. Does it look like they might have been thrown from the bike due to a sudden stop, for example?

22. - Top - End - #172

Sam

Nodding at the directions he was given Sam grabs a fully loaded medkit, tucks the stretcher under the arm holding the medkit and then grabs the scanner with his free hand. "Ready"

He feels things slow down as the takes in multiples sights at once.

"They might be under the overpass"

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Adept powers
    Improved Reflexes II
    Multi_Tasking, Listen to team instructions and Scan the area of the Dot looking for the client
    Enhanced Perception

Last edited by estradling; 2007-11-29 at 12:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Darryl

Darryl is able to control his thermo vision a bit better than Jacob, but all the same, it is obvious the situation is quite heated.

Maybe Raphael can blow away any remaining fuel so that the vehicles can more easily be navigated.

Darryl says, "Little there is that I can do, but I being sure to ask the other servants of the Lord if'n they might be helpin'."

Unsure how else he can help, Darryl looks around for any people, especially people with guns, anti-helicopter missile launchers, and such.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Flip

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Could have sworn I had responded to this. Wonder what happened...
    Oh, and any directions below assume the map is oriented north. If not, Flip would know and say the correct directions.

Flip brings the helicopter as low over the cars on the overpass as he can, and hovers there. [Alright, everyone out who's getting out] he says over the comm link.

Once the others have disembarked, Flip rises into the air again. He uses Jupiter's loud speakers (assuming he has them) to call out to the cars below. "If you are in one of the cars under the East side of the overpass, carefully get out of your vehicles and move back in a slow and orderly fashion. That trailer looks like it could fall at any moment," he says in his most official sounding voice. Yeah like that's gonna happen. They'll be running and screaming for their lives.

He then moves the helicopter toward the west side of the bridge and hovers as low as he can above the cars there, trying to get a look at what might be going on underneath.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Condition critical - 9:21

It seems that Flip's warning is completely unnecessary by the time the copter gets close enough for people to jump out, as the downdraft from the copter sends the semi over the edge and into three different cars, making a smashing sound loud enough to be heard over the thumping of the copter and roaring of the fire and screaming.

Now within a few meters of the fire, the team can see shapes doing what could best be described as dancing within it. They look like people, only made of fire, which is different from looking like people on fire. It looks like there is a person still in the helicopter, but already well charred and clearly dead. There are a few bodies lying on the ground and burning to a crisp, but none of them could possibly still be alive, either. It looks like the motorcycle rider was thrown away form the fire, as there is someone in all leather and a helmet lying on the ground about 10 meters away from the bike. That person is just starting to get up onto all fours and shake their head.

The underpass is not high enough off the ground for Flip to get the copter low enough so he can see what's going on. He could if there weren't any cars there, but the opening between the road below and the bottom of the overpass is only about 6 meters high.

26. - Top - End - #176

Sam

The sensor wand did it's job and found the client and their info. [Got them, They are under the overpass.] While letting the tactical support members call the shots on how to get down there he scans the info and relays, [Flip our new destination will be, Dr. Sparks –1573 Oriscene Way, Puyallup]

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Jacob

Jake turns to Sam and says, "Good catch there. We'll have to get under there then and you can use the scanner to guide us. Flip - float us above the cars on the west side. We'll disembark there, get the patient and come back to you."

As the chopper gets close to the target area, Jacob opens the door and gets out on top of a car. He turns and helps whoever is coming next to disembark.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Darryl

Ah phooie. Flame dancers. Maybe fire spirits?

Darryl checks astral to be sure. Hopefully if we don't bug them, they'll leave us alone.

Darryl, not wanting to say too much till he is sure, at least warns the group, "I doon like the looks of that there fire. We'all may wanna give dem a whittle space."

Darryl decides to hop out with everyone else, "Nut much I can do, if'n I canna see." Darryl hefts his riot shield in front of him and hustles along at the rear of the group.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Condition critical - 9:18

Darryl, Sam, and Jacob climb out of the copter as Flip puts it just over the roof of a car. The cars here seem to be empty, but there are plenty of people to the side of the road that are staring openly. One of them lifts up a hand with a small device that is probably a camera and points it at the team.

Now low enough to get a look, it seems that the overpass is damaged. There is some concrete dangling from the roof, and fire can be seen through the tunnel on the other end. A few of the cars on the eastbound side look like they've been damaged by debris falling from the overpass.

{North is up on that map.}

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Jacob

Jake takes a quick survey of the situation and turns to Sam and Darryl. He speaks in a low voice, seeing no need to yell, "I think we've got to be a bit careful here. Looks like the ceiling is not stable, so let's not make tons of noise. Sam, you keep an eye on that scanner and step carefully. I'll be on your right side, Darryl can search on the left side. As soon as you get a fix, let us know." As he talks, he gestures for Sam to go down the center of the overpass, points to himself and the right (south) side and then to Darryl and the left (north) side. After waiting a bit for any other thoughts, or questions, he proceeds where he indicated, looking for any critically injured people. Man, this place does not feel safe at all.