Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1161 - The Discussion Thread

I'm jealous of a game where PC's actually fail saving throws.

The dwarf monk in my current adventure has yet to miss a save.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eilandesq View Post
    With neither Roy or anyone else noticing?
    Wasn't he doing some sort of heroic monologue at the vampires?

Quote Originally Posted by RabidEel View Post
    But where does Kevin Bacon fit in?
    Well...Gary Gygax has a Bacon Number of 2 thanks to an appearance on Futurama. He's been in a comic with Roy, whose Bacon Number is therefore 3. So Hilgya's Bacon Number would be 4, as would most OotS characters aside from Roy's Archon. Unless someone with a lower Bacon Number showed up in OotS?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoelessgdowar View Post
    Too bad Redcloak hasn't learned chemistry, otherwise he'd know he just needs to summon carbon Elementals or Aluminum and Oxygen Elementals, and he can made Diamonds and Sapphires galore respectively.
    "You think that I can just wave my hands and reshape the molecular bonds of these elementals? Don't be absurd."

Hilgya could have made a deal with the IFCC, who also seem to have some influence still over the Linear Guild, and may even be manipulating Team Evil. We don't know all the ramifications, and would need a pretty impressive murder board and venn diagram hybrid to track all the intersections and links in the Stickverse.
    I don't see any reason to assume she did make a deal with the IFCC, any more than there's a reason to assume she made a deal with the Oracle to make sure Belkar's prophecy came true before he returned to Sunken Valley.
    I'm the GWG from Bay12 and a bunch of other places.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Negative LA Assignment Thread
    The Tale of Demman, Second King of Ireland, a CKII AAR, won a WritAAR of the Week award. Winner of Villainous Competition 8
    Fanfic

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wait, where's Hilgy?
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Remove paralysis is the most obvious; it's even an ideal candidate for a wand, should Haley retroactively have one.
    A wand is never retroactive, nor is it proactive. It is precisely what it needs to be.
    Cuthalion's avatars rock. Like this very fine dragon he made me.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedSultan View Post
    In a bit of a pickle now aren't they.

I think the plan for Hilgya would be to get her into the moot/meet stealthily, and have her disrupt from the inside before the vampires know what's up.
    I have an odd feeling she WILL... inside the blue barrier.... and get turned to stone for upsetting the meeting.
    I hope Kudzu isn't turned to stone right along with her. He shoudln't be, HE wouldn't be the one disrupting the meeting, but some magic isn't all that precisely targetted in this comic.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
    I have an odd feeling she WILL... inside the blue barrier.... and get turned to stone for upsetting the meeting.
    I hope Kudzu isn't turned to stone right along with her. He shoudln't be, HE wouldn't be the one disrupting the meeting, but some magic isn't all that precisely targetted in this comic.
    Why? Both why do you think something will happen to Hilgya, and why do you think it'll specifically be "turns to stone for upsetting the meeting, because that's apparently a crime now"?

Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

The Tale of Demman, Second King of Ireland, a CKII AAR, won a WritAAR of the Week award. Winner of Villainous Competition 8
    Fanfic

7. - Top - End - #157
    Halfling in the Playground

Well that's what you get for standing in a nice little group like that, ffs. You gotta SPREAD IT OUT a little.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    -P.J. O'Rourke

8. - Top - End - #158

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    So, Roy's Mind Blank is offline, then?
    Perhaps it was Dispelled by Team Vampire

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I guess the Order has been in Firmament more than 24 hours after V casted that spell on Roy.
    Nope, they've been in Firmament for about 10 hours or so.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Well...Gary Gygax has a Bacon Number of 2 thanks to an appearance on Futurama. He's been in a comic with Roy, whose Bacon Number is therefore 3. So Hilgya's Bacon Number would be 4, as would most OotS characters aside from Roy's Archon. Unless someone with a lower Bacon Number showed up in OotS?
    Did Keith Baker ever meet Kevin Bacon?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

Iím not familiar with the 3.5 rule set but in terms of getting through, could Hilgya cast something like Sanctuary and just wander past without attacking? Iím assuming once in the meeting a cleric of Loki would be able to create sufficient chaos to at least delay things (even without magic).

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Why? Both why do you think something will happen to Hilgya, and why do you think it'll specifically be "turns to stone for upsetting the meeting, because that's apparently a crime now"?
    Purely a hunch.
    A teeny bit of Checkov's Gun in that explaining the perils of that barrier kind of means SOMEONE's going to get tagged by it, OR, someone's going to get saved at the last minute by someone saying "No! You Fool!" and stopping them from committing a crime.
    And a little bit feeling like Hilgya's use to the the story is about to end.

Of course, now that I think about it a bit more "turned into stone until the meeting is formally adjourned", could also be a leadup to Belkar's "Last Breath, Ever", if they ultimately disrupt the councile in a manner that prevents it from EVER being Adjourned.
    And again, no real hard evidence for that beyond hunches.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    Perhaps it was Dispelled by Team Vampire

Nope, they've been in Firmament for about 10 hours or so.
    Neither V nor Roy fell susceptible to the vampires' domination attempts. Both were also the only characters to receive the Mind Blank spell. Are both Roy and V's Will save so high that they'd save against those domination attempts, but Hilgya of all people would blow it?

I just thought the vamps failed to dispel the Mind Blank for either V or Roy. What are the odds of the Mind Blank surviving five or so Dispel attempts, vs Roy or V not falling prey any of the dominate attempts?

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

I just want to complain again how badly named Mind Blank is, and by extension how torturous the given reasoning for the name is. It sounds like it should be an improved version of Feeblemind, dropping mental scores to 0 and leaving the victim as a doorstop until expired/dispelled, rather than a protective spell.

Thank you for your time.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I just thought the vamps failed to dispel the Mind Blank for either V or Roy. What are the odds of the Mind Blank surviving five or so Dispel attempts, vs Roy or V not falling prey any of the dominate attempts?
    Pretty good, since the spells will target lower level effects first and MB is an 8th.

Also, Hilgya would have a 5-6 in 20 chance of failing the save. Not exactly unreasonable to expect her to fail after a couple tries.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I'm glad that Scruffy survived that attack since he is a great mascot for the team. And would be a shame to lose him anytime soon.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

You know, the deathworm in his introduction is very much like the early MitD personality wise.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

17. - Top - End - #167
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Oxenstierna View Post
    Iím not familiar with the 3.5 rule set but in terms of getting through, could Hilgya cast something like Sanctuary and just wander past without attacking? Iím assuming once in the meeting a cleric of Loki would be able to create sufficient chaos to at least delay things (even without magic).
    Well, the Nightcrawler would get a Will save at +23 (yikes) to be able to attack her. Plus, she would have to pass through the first barrier which would dispel it. She would also be on her own and open to domination attack.

This is a really nasty high level fight. Hilgya would better serve in a support roll here. Freeing Roy should be the first move since his sword and Durkon's hammer are the best weapons against the worm. If V has Dismissal prepared, that would take one of the elementals out of the fight. Potentially, Hilgya and Durkon could also have Dismissal prepared.
    FTDWIR

18. - Top - End - #168

Yea, Sanctuary allows a will save to overcome it. It's a solid spell, but being low level, the DC will be low, and creatures with high will saves are likely to overcome it.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

There is nothing preventing oots from summoning their own monsters. That would lead to a really crowded plattform
    Granted, they haven't used summon tactics before, if i remember correctly, but they planned using astral ally in the pyramid so the concept exists.
    Now that i think of it, could one summon a creature on the other side of either barrier?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    A wand is never retroactive, nor is it proactive. It is precisely what it needs to be.
    That's wand-elf. Regular wands are reactive or inactive.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Leftour View Post
    There is nothing preventing oots from summoning their own monsters. That would lead to a really crowded plattform
    Granted, they haven't used summon tactics before, if i remember correctly, but they planned using astral ally in the pyramid so the concept exists.
    Now that i think of it, could one summon a creature on the other side of either barrier?
    Well, they haven't used summon tactics before primarily because V has Conjuration as one of their prohibited schools. Granted, Durkon could do some summoning, but he'd have to purposely prepare the spells for that, and I *think* rangers do have a couple summoning spells, but as we all know, Belkar doesn't have the Wis for any kind of casting. So unless Hailey happens to have some Wands of Summoning, I think the chance of any summoning happening is next to zero.

The barrier doesn't seem to be the edge of anti-magic, so I don't see why something couldn't be on the other side, unless I missed a note about the barrier. I probably did.
    Nobody expects the Gnomish Inquisition!

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    At least one member is still Evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    One of the team members is ALWAYS evil.
    What I meant is unnaturally evil, like being a vampire. Belkar's always been that way. (I'm not entirely sure how I phrased that so poorly.)

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    That doesn't really seem like a fight, it's resolved in one spell.

On another note, I'd like to point out that summoning a Large radioactive elemental is a terrible idea. They likely weigh about a ton (varying by element density, of course) which would either produce massive amounts of radiation, which affects the summoner as well, or produce a literal nuclear explosion and level the city.
    Last edited by Sniccups; 2019-04-16 at 07:50 AM.
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

23. - Top - End - #173

RedWizardGuy

I just want to complain again how badly named Mind Blank is, and by extension how torturous the given reasoning for the name is. It sounds like it should be an improved version of Feeblemind, dropping mental scores to 0 and leaving the victim as a doorstop until expired/dispelled, rather than a protective spell.

Thank you for your time.
    I believe Elan has your complain (kind of) covered
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles donít hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, canít be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I suppose the barriers go around the entire temple and can't just be bypassed via stoneshape?

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Did Keith Baker ever meet Kevin Bacon?
    According to the website I'm using, he hasn't appeared in any films/TV shows with anyone who has a Bacon Number. So his Bacon Number is probably 3, from working with Gygax on some book or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
    Purely a hunch.
    A teeny bit of Checkov's Gun in that explaining the perils of that barrier kind of means SOMEONE's going to get tagged by it, OR, someone's going to get saved at the last minute by someone saying "No! You Fool!" and stopping them from committing a crime.
    And a little bit feeling like Hilgya's use to the the story is about to end.
    I definitely feel like someone's going to turn to stone, but I don't think Hilgya's going to die/get petrified/whatever just because her "narrative utility" is running out. For one thing, Durkon doesn't want his son to grow up with only one parent, and I don't see that changing if the one parent is him.

Thank you for your time.
    Maybe it's just me, but my first thought is a "clear your mind" sort of thing. In a fantasy context, I'd expect that to be "clear your mind and let the magic/qi/Force/whatever flow through you," but "clear your mind so that nobody can see what a mess you've made of it" would be my second guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    I suppose the barriers go around the entire temple and can't just be bypassed via stoneshape?
    Did anyone prepare stone shape? And enough stone shape spells to both knock a hole in the wall and make a safe path to it?

Quotes, more

Fanfic

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leftour View Post
    The Ex-Exarch bothered to poke his casting hand outside of the barrier to summon the Elementals. So I guess, the barrier won't let you summon anything on the other side of it...

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    What I meant is unnaturally evil, like being a vampire.
    Durkon was never unnaturally evil; the vampire was a different character.
    Cuthalion's avatars rock. Like this very fine dragon he made me.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

According to the website I'm using, he hasn't appeared in any films/TV shows with anyone who has a Bacon Number. So his Bacon Number is probably 3, from working with Gygax on some book or another.
    I don't think the Bacon number can be obtained via collaborations in non-acting environments. Similarly, I believe you can only obtain an Erdős number via peer-review publications, not just any kind of collaboration.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

I didn't laugh at the "whacking the worm" joke.
    I did chuckle at Belkar's chuckle.
    When in doubt, set it on fire, right?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    The barrier doesn't seem to be the edge of anti-magic, so I don't see why something couldn't be on the other side, unless I missed a note about the barrier. I probably did.
    It's more about the inner details of magic effects in general: you need line of effect to the area you're summoning a creature into, and the orange barrier blocks line of effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I don't think the Bacon number can be obtained via collaborations in non-acting environments. Similarly, I believe you can only obtain an Erdős number via peer-review publications, not just any kind of collaboration.

Grey Wolf
    That's my understanding as well.