New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Portent Battle?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Default Portent Battle?

Had an odd situation come up in a recent session.

I play a divination wizard and used a low portent to make a demon fail a save to resist our cleric’s banishment spell. The DM then revealed that the evil mage who summoned the demon was also a diviner and would use a portent to have the demon make the save.

Our table decided it was best to treat it as something imposing advantage and disadvantage to a roll, call it a wash and let the roll proceed as normal.

One person suggested the two wizards do a INT contest with the winner getting his portent to stick and the loser being out a portent.

Another person suggested taking the two portent numbers and using the average.

Still another suggested my portent stick since I called it first.

I was satisfied with calling it a wash but I’m curious what other DMs would do in this situation.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Portent Battle?

Personally, I would rule that once Portent has been applied, no further portents can be applied because it's no longer a d20 roll you're replacing, it's just a number.

That said, I would totally let a Wizard replace another wizard's portent rolls for the day with their own, as long as they could see them when they rolled their portents. I also allow Luck rerolls on portent rolls. It's a powerful ability, because even a bad roll is useful.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I would have the opposed wizards roll off to see who’s fortunetelling was most accurate. Call it ‘duel of the fates’
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Call it ‘duel of the fates’
    Rule of cool there for sure.