1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Deserted Desert: A Path through the Sands

The sun beats down on the sands before you, and you're not entirely sure about a lot of things, but you are sure about these- That the waterskin on your belt is empty, you're very thankful for the (admittedly itchy) clothes you're wearing considering your sunburned face, and that you're very, very thirsty.

To your right is a dune that feels like the size of a mountain- you're not sure if it's a mirage, hallucination, or actually real, but it looks like there's snow at the top of the thing. To your left is a valley in the dunes- you can see some scuttling movement, juddering and halting, and at the very least unsettling. Behind you, echoes sounds that seem muted and distorted, yet fill your ears with the sounds of uncomfortable travel, along with your own hurried, shambling footprints. In front of you, there is a hint of green over the crest of the dune.

The air feels hesitant, electric... waiting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Random thing that popped into my head; I'll be updating it as frequently as I am both able and willing, but I make no promises. If you're interested in seeing this continue, respond with a choice or a path.
    Xykon's not Evil. He just get bored really easily. And he doesn't have constructive hobbies.
    Spoiler: Gen/Degen
    Show
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your signature and add one.
    Degeneration 92
    The first time you see this, copy it into your signature and subtract one.
    Spoiler: Super Secret Awesome Point Counter
    Show

Iceseer - 3

HUGS FOR ALL!
    Spoiler: I be an awesome pokemon
    Show

Spoiler: Le Quotes on le topic of Me
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    You're a perfect person.
    Isn't Socksy adorabibbles?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Deserted Desert: A Path through the Sands

Front, towards the green.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

In a heat-induced delirium, attempt to perform magic and blast the dune aside to see what lies behind.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

In your heat-fever, you attempt to draw upon your magical reservoir to blast the dunes in front of you. You feel a wave of heat wash forward, but considering you see no change in the dune whatsoever, it could easily have just been a hallucination. You stumble forward, only to slip as you crest over the dune... sliding down towards the lip of the cliff before you.

An arrow, fletched with what appear to be feathers of gold, flies with blistering speed from behind you down into the jungle arrayed haphazardly in the valley below this desert, a massively overgrown tree somewhat to your left obvious as the spot of green you'd seen before. Each moment that passes is another grain of sand in the hourglass, ticking away toward a lengthy fall. In your panic, time almost seems to slow, the hot air around you almost sluggish as you try to grab at a plan for your survival.

_____
    \....../
    .\..../
    ...\./
    .../\
    ./....\
    Last edited by Eternis; 2019-04-25 at 09:44 AM. Reason: The Hourglass Ticks

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, so we've determined that our magical powers are heat-related. They couldn't blast apart the dune, probably because no or insufficient kinetic energy is involved. Neither were they hot enough to turn the dune instantly into liquid glass.

The real question, though, is whether a sudden blast of heat into the exposed face of an archer will be enough to throw off their aim and possibly cause an exclamation through which we can deduce their location. In my opinion, it's worth a try. This archer probably also will help us survive, even if only through us killing them, slicing open their body with one of their own arrows and drinking their blood.

Therefore, we should summon all available magical power and direct a heat-blast, as hot as possible, in the direction the arrow came from.

Depending on how this world works, directing the heat towards this unseen archer may also take it away from our vicinity, which will be a relief.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

You began to feel the sluggishness in the air burning away, and as it did so one thought filled your mind- that the conscious threat, the archer, was the most pressing danger.

Twisting to try to get off a good shot, your feet rushing towards the cliff you now face away from, you gather the burning shards of this last second and let loose a torrent of power roughly toward where the arrow came from. A ripple flows through the air, and you hear the crash of shattering glass coming from inside the dune. The next moments are a blur, sand and a sudden reversal of movement confusing you, until you smack your head against something solid and feel it all go black.

You awaken with cuts and scratches all along your limbs and across your face, slightly stinging but mostly sticky with matted, clotted blood-and-sand. Soft white light suffuses your vision, making it hard to see, but you feel a hard floor lightly coated in sand beneath your back. Beside you, an unmoving shape in the rough model of a person appears to be settled on the same surface.
    Last edited by Eternis; 2019-04-26 at 08:53 AM. Reason: The Time Had Come