New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default When should I start my webcomic?

I have this story for a fantasy webcomic, I have a good outline ready and all the characters are pretty much set. But I donīt know if I should start one yet, cause although Iīve been drawing since forever, I donīt know if Iīm good enough yet. Iīve just now started doing digital and coloring, and honestly all my art to me looks very stiff and amateurish, and that makes me a bit worried that Iīm not good enough to get my project starting. I know Rich has said that art is less important than the story, but honestly a big part of the reason why I enjoy OOTS so much is the art, and the artwork has always been one of the biggest reasons I decide to try a comic or not.
    I also am a VERY amateur author, and if you donīt count embarassing fanfiction, all my creative writings endeavors have been always DnD and GMing related and like a comic that lasted I believe 3 pages.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: When should I start my webcomic?

If you are invested in this particular story being good, maybe start with another comic to practice. Maybe something short.

Making a comic takes a lot of time. If you want to practice your writing maybe write some text. It takes a lot less time. Especially short stories obviously.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe try making the first few pages to see how it turns out. But it isn't necessary fatal to start with weaker art. There are quite a few webcomics where the art was significantly worse in the beginning. Like gunnerkrigg court.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Maybe try making the first few pages to see how it turns out. But it isn't necessary fatal to start with weaker art. There are quite a few webcomics where the art was significantly worse in the beginning. Like gunnerkrigg court.
    Questionable Content is another where the art has *drastically* changed over the years as he got better at art.

There was one comic which the whole purpose was for the creator to get better at art. The first comic was a single black dot, and he went from there. (I can't recall the name of it, though I keep looking.)
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Thanks everyone, I gave it a shot and itīs not half bad Iīd say, still not too sure about my writing skills, I havenīt even started coloring the first page, but Iīm cautiously optimistic!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

really thankyou soo much for all of you for telling alot of thinks that we should in our mind while starting webcomic we all have to built our writing skills must 10/10.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

It's definitely worth starting. You can always come back and redo the art on the early pages later (A Girl and Her Fed did exactly this, to pick one example) and when it comes to getting a lot of art practice quickly webcomics are really solid.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    It's definitely worth starting. You can always come back and redo the art on the early pages later (A Girl and Her Fed did exactly this, to pick one example) ...
    A Girl and her Fed started doing that. It's not finished, and it's not currently happening so far as the public knows. Ignoring the original art may be a better option in the long run.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-04-22 at 02:27 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I've also seen a number of comics start, get momentum, and then go back and redo/fix some of the earliest art.

The best I can say is that you won't get good until you start making yourself work on it every day, and feedback (including, and this will almost inherently be the case, some rather harsh and frankly sometimes unfair feedback) will help you craft your writing skills.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I wouldn't worry too much about art quality.

Comapre the first Schlock Mercenary comic with this more recent one. Howard Tayler even comments on how bad his initial art was in the annotation.

Bad art doesn't really make the story worse, and I personally read comics for story.
    Last edited by bc56; 2019-04-23 at 03:02 PM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters