Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Themes of OOTS

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Themes of OOTS

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It has had to be routinely spelled out in this forum, even to this day, that Belkar and Thog are Chaotic Evil, so I don't see how anything is less blatant just because the forum need to be told.
    Ninja'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Belkar ain't CE! Lead sheet, remember?
    I think that if we look at Word of Giant, you'll find that he spelled it out clearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Player agency doesn't mean they get to roll for everything. Agency means that they control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) or so I am told ... by 2D8HP

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    ...Radclock sounds like the worst supervillian. "Hey, i'm RadClock! I have gnarly time travel! Bodacious!"
    Bodacious Benjamin, who suffers from giantism and went down the path of supervillainy with a goal in mind: obliterating that one clock tower in England, to stop all the lame "Big Ben" jokes made at his expense?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Bodacious Benjamin, who suffers from giantism and went down the path of supervillainy with a goal in mind: obliterating that one clock tower in England, to stop all the lame "Big Ben" jokes made at his expense?
    In this story, RadClock is a hero, the daring protector of clocks and watches.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles donít hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, canít be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Ah, more of a Joshua Trundle then.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I guess family is also a big one. Like, even the villains of the comic have almost always had something to do with family. The black dragon, the vampires are refered to a lot as children, the bandit chief, the black dragon, Hel also refers to her minions as children, most people in the Vector Legion have their motivation mainly based around their childs, Nale has daddy issues, Redcloak's motivation is that his family got killed, even Miko who's an orphan has her motivations heavily tied to her adoptive father, also that evil nobleman was the father figure of the orphan half-orc ninja.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

And multiple of these villains are portrayed as being heavily tied to family so they can make parallels to tje heroes, who also all except for Belkar have deep family ties.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Hugo Cabret vibes?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

I think thog was an inditement of cookie-cutter optimised characters

half-ork barbarian with high physical stats and low mental stats is good optimised for combat and that's pretty much all that you could say about thog
    sure, he was funny because he was stupid (and the not-nale explanation was brilliant) but that was all there was to thog
    he didn't have goals or motivations or even personality, you could hardly call him a character even

also I'm pretty sure everyone who plays with someone who uses cookie cutter characters has heard the line "at least I'm smart enough to know my primary combat stat", as if that's all that matters about a character