Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masks RPG

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Masks RPG

Been watching YJS3 and got the itch for something superhero. Pretty much open to game system and the general concept. Any GMs and players interested?
    Last edited by Vorpal Glaive; 2019-05-07 at 08:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Superheroes?

Masks is a low-crunch system that feels tailor-made to playing games that feel like Young Justice. If you haven't heard of it before, definitely look into it!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'll second Masks and also pitch in for interest as a player.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Marvel Heroic is a really fun system. Easy enough to convert it over to something homebrew or DC related.
    DMing:
    The Exploration of Yrannia - IC / OOC / DOC

5. - Top - End - #5

GreataxeFighterGuy

Risus and FATE would be simple but creative games, too.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Faserip is a very simple system as well.

7. - Top - End - #7

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gryffydd65 View Post
    Faserip is a very simple system as well.
    Agreed. I've been looking at Tiny Supers, too.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

There's an actual play podcast by a group playing a Young Justice game. I think they go through a number of systems, but they did an adventure using Masks for a few episodes. It's a fun listen, and it definitely helps to experience the rules in play. Here's the first episode.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'd definitely be in for playing.

That being said out of the options suggested I'm most familiar with Fate (via the Dresden Files rpg)
    Last edited by 1ring42; 2019-04-24 at 06:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll toss in some potential interest
    Entering the tower of my fears,
    I shut my doors on that dark guilt,
    I bolt the door, each door I bolt.
    Blood quickens, gonging in my ears:

11. - Top - End - #11

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateH View Post
    There's an actual play podcast by a group playing a Young Justice game. I think they go through a number of systems, but they did an adventure using Masks for a few episodes. It's a fun listen, and it definitely helps to experience the rules in play. Here's the first episode.
    Thanks DreadPirateH, this is pretty cool.

Is there a FATE-based superhero game?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Going to also pitch in as an interested player, depending on what system is thrown out there. (Just saw Infinity War super late to the party, In a big supers mode atm)

13. - Top - End - #13

GreataxeFighterGuy

"Endgame" has me itching even more. I found a link for FATE SUPERS, for what it's worth.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Now heres the big question: are we going with an originalish universe or some variation on an established universe?

Either way Fate is a really flexible system so I'll put my vote in for that.

Though while I'm not as well read on FASERIP/marvel I have seen it in play.
    Last edited by 1ring42; 2019-04-28 at 03:17 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

GreataxeFighterGuy

I was thinking our own version of a DC-Marvel mash-up universe, maybe? "Earth-P" (for Playground ). Making our heroes sidekicks of iconic supers would be fun but, I'm open to other ideas too.

16. - Top - End - #16

PirateGuy

There is, in fact, a FATE superhero game, based on an excellent series of books.

It's called "Wearing the Cape." :)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

I could be down for this.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Potential interest, depending on what all shakes out.

Edit: Though now that I'm skimming the FATE supers rules, they, almost actually seem geared toward making characters less Super than default vanilla FATE characters tend to be. "Yeah, you have super strength. Better 1 shot the bad guys with it the first time you use it in an adventure, cause you'll not have it at full strength again till next adventure after you use it.". Or an alternative "Yeah, you can upgrade stunts for which you spent refresh to work. Just, you know, don't expect to be able to use those super powers more than one or two times an adventure cause you likely won't be refreshing before then or getting supplemental FATE points with out getting hosed for the whole adventure, unless you spend those FATE points too offset that hosing, with defeats the purpose.".

Meanwhile in Vanilla Fate:

"Oh, your half Sasquatch? A Valkyrie? An Alien from an ultra high gravity world/a world able to absorb solar energy in a different manner? Ok, Physique +5, and spent some refresh on the Inhuman or Supernatural Strength ability's, maybe on Massive Size depending. Boom. Done. And now you can, you know, consistently play as though your super strong instead of having 1 or 2 decent Nova's in you and that's it."
    Last edited by Metahuman1; 2019-04-28 at 10:25 PM.
    "I Burn!"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah I noticed that too, even in the DF gama powers just cost X refresh though it does say fate supers is meant to emulate the golden age where heroes were a bit less powerful on average.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 1ring42 View Post
    Yeah I noticed that too, even in the DF gama powers just cost X refresh though it does say fate supers is meant to emulate the golden age where heroes were a bit less powerful on average.
    It also says there variant for higher powered supers that runs on FATE points, requires you to not only buy custom stunts with refresh, but then also spent a FATE point every time you want to try to use it.

And even Golden Age hero's tended to be more consistent about being able to maintain there lower on average power level. Sure, superman was merely stronger than a locomotive, buuuuuuut, he could do it steadily. He didn't have 1 or 2 bursts of strength in an adventure and that's him done for the adventure, as the system sets up.

Frankly, using Dresden Files rules, a Dresden Files character would probably stomp a Super Character using Supers rules on average, and Dresden is meant as a lower powered setting than most super's settings, even golden age one's.

Tell me, has there been any consideration to doing Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition?
    "I Burn!"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well I'd be up for learning it if I could access the rules.

But honestly when I suggested Fate i wasn't aware how underpowered the supers version was.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

If you google "Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition SRD." You'll find a mostly functional SRD. Character generation is a bit of a trick if your not use to it but it's also easily the hardest part of the system. Once you get over that hurdle, it's smooth sailing from that point on.

It's also extremely versatile, if granted a tad more mechanically complex than FATE. If you can handle most editions of Shadow Run, GURPS, Savage Worlds or Dungeons and Dragons, it's cake to get a handle on M&M by comparison, particularly 3rd edition.
    "I Burn!"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah I cant access that because the second I try I get flooded with pop ups. That being said the pdf seems relatively available.

24. - Top - End - #24

GreataxeFighterGuy

M&M is pretty complex but maybe there's a better chance of a GM running that system so I'm open to it. ICONS is another suggestion.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, I don't have the time or money to invest in another new system right now.

If we use FATE core, which we totally can, just treat everything we can do to desired scale for the stunts and skills and aspects and be a tad generous with fate refresh at start, easy as that, I'm familiar enough with FATE to play it that way. Just, pretend there isn't a specific supers variant, and play it like it's a universal role playing system. Which it is.

I'm familiar enough with M&M that I can play that as well. So, just say the word. =)
    "I Burn!"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal Glaive View Post
    M&M is pretty complex but maybe there's a better chance of a GM running that system so I'm open to it. ICONS is another suggestion.
    M&M is as simple or complex as you want it to be. If you want a simple Luke Cage style character, you can whip one up in five minutes. However if you want to go into complex alternate powers to make a wizard, you can do that too, it all depends on how many options you want to keep track of.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

Personally not the biggest fan of fate, but I'm down for it, if only because it means I don't have to learn a new system.

That said, for game theme, I'm generally against us being sidekicks. I just feel like if there's already established universe with us playing the sideshow isn't what I'm really looking for. I think having heroes and powers in general being new and novel is something I'd like to explore more.

All up to whoever wants to be GM in the end though.
    Entering the tower of my fears,
    I shut my doors on that dark guilt,
    I bolt the door, each door I bolt.
    Blood quickens, gonging in my ears:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

There's always AMP: Year One. It's a setting and d20 rules system about a world where in 2015, a percentage of the population started developing super powers, and the effect this is having on the world. It starts off pretty realistic and grounded but each setting book (year 2, 3 and 4) gets slightly more surreal and comic booky, while still being grounded. A bit like Wild Cards, but not R-rated, and the tone is up to each individual GM and group.

I admit I've never GMed or played in this system before and I would prefer to play it, but I could GM it if there is interest.

Otherwise, I'm good with Masks or Fate.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Interesting, I do like wild cards.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm still down for a Masks game but I've gotta be honest. I'm not really eager to commit to anything without an understanding that the GM and players are invested for the long haul.