Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Masks RPG

1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Superheroes?

I'm definitely in for the long run as a player. How easy is it to get a hold of the masks ruleset?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 1ring42 View Post
    I'm definitely in for the long run as a player. How easy is it to get a hold of the masks ruleset?
    Very. Also very easy to learn. PbtA is a pretty simple system.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'll admit, I knew of the EXISTENCE of a Fate-based superhero system, but no specifics. Sad that it doesn't hold up -- the books are excellent.

I'm a long-term fan of Mutants and Masterminds, but the second edition; never did get around to learning the differences for the third.

4. - Top - End - #34

GreataxeFighterGuy

I see several M&M games here but it isn't the only superhero rpg available. I'd rather play something different.

I'm reading Masks right now.
    Last edited by Vorpal Glaive; 2019-05-01 at 06:23 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

I'm always interested in a superhero-genre game. I'm good with FATE, M&M, or Masks. Anything else I'm willing to look through and learn.

6. - Top - End - #36

GreataxeFighterGuy

If a GM arrives and prefers M&M, I still want to play, regardless.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah it doesn't matter to me, I'll have to learn a new system either way.
    Last edited by 1ring42; 2019-05-01 at 11:49 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38

GreataxeFighterGuy

Masks is pretty cool. Better than Worlds in Peril imo.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Note again for perspective GM's. There is nothing stopping you from using Vanilla FATE, Declaring the setting a super hero setting, and just assigning power scales accordingly to explain why, say, Superman and Iron Man both have like 4's in Physique, but Iron Man can't tank attacks on part with a single low yield Nuke, while Superman can take 15 Supernovas at once to the face and not even have his hair messed up. Everyone then assigns there skills as desired, talks to the GM, and has a Scale assigned. (Or the GM just assigns scale for different things based on concept. So Stark might not be able to tank hits on Supermans Scale, but he can invent and build on as big or a bigger one perhaps.).

Everyone picks a concept: Genetically Enhanced super Soldier, Alien Royalty, highschooler bitten by Radioactive creature, Exposed to Cosmic energy, trained in the mystic arts, Billionaire Super Genius Playboy Philanthropist, Worlds Greatest Detective and Master of the Martial Arts and operating in the shadows, ext.

Everyone Gets a Trouble, maybe 2. Like, Maybe everyone has Secret Identity and a trouble unique too them. With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility or Vulnerable to Kryptonite in addition to Alter Ego's Peter Parker and Clark Kent.

And then everyone get's a stack of aspects as per normal.

Then, Maybe give everyone a bit more FATE refresh than normally prescribed. Say, 12 or maybe even like 15. And maybe assign 2 or 3 of that 12 to 15 Refresh as un-spend-able on Stunts/Powers, thus forcing players to basically always have a decent FP total to work with for crazy stuff. Next, Scale the stunts/powers as fits the game and concept and other concepts (Which will help you have Batman and The Question and Green Arrow and DareDevil and Iron Fist and Hawkeye and Black Widow along with Superman and Wonder Woman and Green Lantern and Flash and Thor And Iron Man and Dr. Strange and Hulk. )

Boom. You have now used FATE to make super hero's that will play like actual super hero's, no extra stuff required outside of Vanilla FATE. Easy. That took less than 15 minutes to think through and type up.
    "I Burn!"

10. - Top - End - #40

GreataxeFighterGuy

ICONS is FATE+Marvel Superheroes. That looks like fun.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'd be up as a player for either Masks or ICONS

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm ginning up an idea for a Masks game. I've got some stuff going on this week, so recruitment will go up next week once I get a chance to work some of the details out. I'll post the link here for you all once it's up.

I'll let you know in advance, the game will be Masks with original characters. I'm starting grad school this fall, so the game will have a hard end date set at the end of July, but I'm working the short duration into the concept. I'm also likely going to alter the When The Team First Came Together questions to suit my purposes.
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2019-05-06 at 10:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateH View Post
    I'm ginning up an idea for a Masks game. I've got some stuff going on this week, so recruitment will go up next week once I get a chance to work some of the details out. I'll post the link here for you all once it's up.

I'll let you know in advance, the game will be Masks with original characters. I'm starting grad school this fall, so the game will have a hard end date set at the end of July, but I'm working the short duration into the concept. I'm also likely going to alter the When The Team First Came Together questions to suit my purposes.
    Looks cool. Thanks, DreadPirateH.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'll try and mash one of my concepts into one of the playbooks then.

15. - Top - End - #45

PirateGuy

I hadn't looked at Masks before; having just done so, it's a nicely elegant system. I'll have to delve deeper into it. :)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 1ring42 View Post
    I'll try and mash one of my concepts into one of the playbooks then.

What's your concept? I am happy to give some advice if you'd like, as I have some experience with the Masks RPG.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by CoreBrute23 View Post
    What's your concept? I am happy to give some advice if you'd like, as I have some experience with the Masks RPG.
    Well I've got a few but the thing is most of the power options are weirdly arbitrary and my concepts are usually powerset first.

18. - Top - End - #48

GreataxeFighterGuy

Masks is more limited in power selection than most supers rpgs. It looks like fun, but I'm undecided.

Changed the thread header to attract Mask players since that's what the GM is running. I'll keep looking for the game I want.
    Last edited by Vorpal Glaive; 2019-05-07 at 08:42 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal Glaive View Post
    Masks is more limited in power selection than most supers rpgs. It looks like fun, but I'm undecided.

Changed the thread header to attract Mask players since that's what the GM is running. I'll keep looking for the game I want.
    Honestly I imagine most GMs will be ok if you pick a power that's not in the playbook, as long as it fits the theme of the playbook. Like a Bull who turns into a living Inferno could probably work as it does the bull in a china shop thing. A Bull with memory manipulation probably doesn't really suit that. Same with a Transform who could shapeshift into human form-it goes against the theme of the playbook, which is being forced to live as visibly different from others due to their powers.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Masks RPG

Would it be better for us to start creating our characters now (barring the bits that are directly based on other people's choices), and then tweak them once the specific people are chosen, or just wait until the players are chosen and then create characters together?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Chengduguy View Post
    Would it be better for us to start creating our characters now (barring the bits that are directly based on other people's choices), and then tweak them once the specific people are chosen, or just wait until the players are chosen and then create characters together?
    Well I can list what concepts I'm thinking about making. Maybe we should go broad concepts then build out the character when picks have been made?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

We still planning on doing a masks game?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I PMed DreadPirateH about it, but he has yet to respond.
    Last edited by Chengduguy; 2019-05-19 at 11:49 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm mulling over concepts for the game. I realized that my original concept was unworkable before getting an ad up.

With the very short timeframe (less than 2 months of RL time), any game I run would be best suited to more of a very short tutorial one-shot with new players. There isn't enough time to get into the drawn-out angsting and character interaction, and that does somewhat cheapen the experience.

That said, you'd work up a character for the submission, if there ends up being an ad.