1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Integral Ravenloft Sourcebooks?

So I was asked to run an AD&D 2E game in the Ravenloft setting (which is so far out of my element to run but man I love me some Ravenloft so I figured why not) but the only sourcebook I have, is Domains of Dread.. which I only have because I was asked to run a Ravenloft game, hah.

As the title suggests, I'm wondering what else I should grab or what might be recommended reading. I've got my eye on Neither Man Nor Beast and The Created as adventures, because Dr. Moreiau chicanery and killer puppets sounds amazing, and I have a few ideas for more homebrew adventures, but aside from the main sourcebook of Domains, what other titles might be really handy to have? I was thinking Islands of Terror, but from what I've read most of the islands in it are already described in Domains so I'm hesitant there... though it'd be my luck that it has details for the one sanitarium that sounds so interesting... but, yes, any recommendations or suggestions or the like would be greatly appreciated!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Integral Ravenloft Sourcebooks?

I don't have a link here but if you can find them "Quoth the Raven" was a publication series back when RL was the hot thing which has quite a bit of adventures and source material along with short stories. I have it on disk(of which I only have a disc drive on my work computer nowadays) so I am not sure where its available online.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the book you have is really all you need to run a loose Ravenloft campaign. It's got most everything in broad strokes, though it lacks some detail.

The boxed campaign setting https://www.amazon.com/Ravenloft-Cam...gateway&sr=8-1 is worth the purchase, but it doesn't have, really, anything extra to it. The DM screen is nice, though.

Beyond that, there aren't as far as I'm concerned, any integral supplements for the setting. You might want to check out the Van Richten's Guides to ______ though. They can be useful if a little overwhelming. Some of the adventure collections are not terrible.

Better prep is to read/watch some good old gothic horror and mine it for ideas. Haunting of Hill House, Frankenstein, Jekyll and Hyde, etc. All have good stuff in them.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Superhero in the Playground Moderator

Domains of Dread is a great starting point; it's a single-volume overview of all of Ravenloft, and all you really need.

If you're looking for more, you might consider the Van Richten's Guides for any monsters you want to emphasize... Vol 1 of the compendium is Werebeasts, Vampires, and Golems, for example, but you can buy them separately.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    API Anthology 1 from Drivethru RPG.
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Domains of Dread is a great starting point; it's a single-volume overview of all of Ravenloft, and all you really need.
    I'll second this. DoD is really a Ravenloft 2ED Player's Handbook and Campaign Setting all rolled into one.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

I figured Domains was p.much all one needed to run a game, and I'm digging all of its info, but more details always means more stuff to play with! :D

The Van Richten Guides seems to be the thing to get next, then, that seems to be the consensus. Thankfully they have compendiums, I don't know if I have the funds or the space to store an extra ten books, phew. Shame that in the DoD book Van Richten is already dead, much sadness; still going to use him, but there's... not really any information on the man at all in the book, which is disappointing. Is he detailed in the boxed set or in some other book?

Thanks for the response, also!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Forgot to mention you'll want to have the Ravenloft Monstrous Manual Supplements as well. They're not strictly necessary, but they're very helpful and entertaining. Some fun things in there.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Post Re: Integral Ravenloft Sourcebooks?

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair14 View Post
    I don't have a link here but if you can find them "Quoth the Raven" was a publication series back when RL was the hot thing which has quite a bit of adventures and source material along with short stories. I have it on disk(of which I only have a disc drive on my work computer nowadays) so I am not sure where its available online.
    Looks like Quoth the Raven, plus a bunch of other fan-made stuff is here: http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Library.html

Hope that's helpful! :)
    --Ron--
    Awesome Rutger Hauer Jugger Avatar by Thormag
    I hang out in GitP Older D&D/AD&D and Other Systems
    I play at The Unseen Servant PbP Forums
    I read & Magazine

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoth View Post
    Is he detailed in the boxed set or in some other book?
    The Campaign Setting boxed sets provide stats and a rough "character sketch". The second boxed set (The "revised" box) has an updated profile on him - he apparently gained 7 levels from the first boxed set to the revised box (he was a 3rd level thief in the first boxed set, and a 10th level thief in the second boxed set).

Bits and pieces of his background and story are spread throughout the various modules and splat books. But the most information on him is found within the "Guides". But there is a boxed set adventure concerning his "disappearance/death" called "Bleak House".

As far as books to get, I would pick a domain that appeals the most to you, and look to 3rd edition D&D's RL line, and pick up one of the gazetteers that has the domain you want to use.

Also, Dungeon Magazine (Called "Dungeon Adventures" during 2nd edition's era) has quite a few quality Ravenloft specific adventures in them.
    Last edited by Digitalelf; 2019-04-22 at 07:20 PM.
    "Its amazing how hostile people can get about an entirely optional campaign setting that they werent forced to play."

-Weasel Fierce (of Dragonsfoot)-