New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Uses for the Medicine skill

Hi everyone,

the PHB does not list many uses of the medicine skill.

How have you used in your games? HOw have you used the skill as a player?

THank you in advance!

Michael

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Uses for the Medicine skill

Assuming this is 5e, we usually let anyone proficient in Medicine have the Healer feat for free.

That said, Medicine is useful in examining the dead and finding out interesting things about them.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Again, assuming 5e, but I use medicine to be one of the skills you can use to craft poisons.
    Especially the non-lethal kinds that merely paralyze or knock unconscious, since those would be lethal anyway without the proper dosage.
    l have a very specific preference when it comes to TTRPGs. If you have a different preference, that's fine, but I just want you to know you're having fun wrong.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I let my plaayers roll Medicine to get an idea of where a monster is hit-point wise. 10 or below, I give them a random range (if my monster is at 35 hit points, I might say "60-80" or even "12-200" if I'm particularly cruel). 10-15, I give them a range of 20-30 (for previous example, I might say "20-45"). If they get 16+, I give them a range of 15 or 20 (for example, "25-35"). This takes their character a bonus action. They get a more precise measure of a monster's hit points, and the Medicine skill becomes a lot more useful, but there's still the bonus action "waste" that prevent the players from using it every turn without fail.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

Hey, I have an extended signature now!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Finding out how someone died, noticing that someone is poisoned/sick/cursed.