New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Default Re: Various metals in folklore/fantasy? (E.g. silver, cold iron, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Also, its shiny. Everyone loves shiny stuff.
    Gold does have a particular luster to it that other metals just don't.

Has other neat properties to that have been known for millennia. Its absurdly ductile. The Vancouver Science Centre once had a billboard with a 24 hour armed guard because it was covered in a single sheet of gold made from exactly 1 ounce of the stuff. A normal sized bill board, covered in gold.

Not even taking into account the monetary value of gold throughout history, there's something about it that people seem to be drawn to more than anything other metal. There's a quality to it that is hard to compare to other things.
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2019-04-30 at 09:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Cobalt got its name from an association with kobolds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Again, thanks for all the responses and discussion.

I was curious about branching out (ba dum tsh) to discuss the properties of various types of wood, but I didn't want to sidetrack the discussion here, so I started a new thread for it.
    Link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...asy&p=23881155

4. - Top - End - #34

There's also Damascus Steel, which has yet to be fully reverse engineered
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #35

Cobalt was originally tied to the word Kobold, which we all should know.

The reason is because Cobalt was often visibly mined with Copper, and it's often naturally combined with Arsenic. If the miners tried to smelt the Copper, it'd also break down the Cobalt (which they can see), and the Arsenic with it (which they can't). Arsenic Oxide (which happens after you heat it up) is extremely toxic, and causes major long-term health problems. They blamed their illnesses on goblins and evil spirits.

And so Cobalt is associated with evil spirits.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-05-29 at 12:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Cobalt was originally tied to the word Kobold, which we all should know.

The reason is because Cobalt was often mined with Copper, and it's commonly combined with Arsenic. If the miners tried to smelt the Copper, it'd also break down the Cobalt, and the Arsenic with it. Arsenic Oxide (which happens after you heat it up) is extremely toxic, and causes major long-term health problems. They blamed their illnesses on goblins and evil spirits.

And so Cobalt is associated with evil spirits.
    In Japanese America, Cobalt is also associated with a giant two-horned deer that Sacred Swords your head off until you black out and drop half your money.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Also, its shiny. Everyone loves shiny stuff.
    well yeah...but this is shiny by nature and with little human effort to shape it. and stays shiny.
    therefore better than other shiny things that have to be smelted in the eyes of many people.

plus touchstones have been around for long enough that purity testing was easier on gold and thus even more links to gold as "pure" could be made.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Mentions of Norse myths, the only reference to metals I am aware of is actually Damascus steel in Beowulf (he kills Grendal's mother with it IIRC).

And I am pretty sure the iron bane association with faeries may be because the Gaels came and killed all the bronze wielding Picts with iron weapons.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Mentions of Norse myths, the only reference to metals I am aware of is actually Damascus steel in Beowulf (he kills Grendal's mother with it IIRC).
    Actually, mithril comes from Norse myth originally, specifically The Saga of Hervör and Heidrek.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Actually, mithril comes from Norse myth originally, specifically The Saga of Hervör and Heidrek.
    Neat! Thanks for sharing!