New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Favorite cross-genre game?

To add to the favorite-type threads, do you have any games you like with major elements (not just like gwent or triple triad) from different genres?

For me, I really liked an NES game called Infiltrator. You’d have to fly your helicopter (and possibly fight other choppers) to the enemy base, then when you got there you’d have to run around the base taking care of business.

Also Undertale. It’s like RPG+bullet hell.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite cross-genre game?

Sekiro. its part soulsborne game, part stealth game, part platformer, part rhythm game and I love it.

I like action rpgs whenever I get to play them, because I get the freedom of being a badass, progression and a story with it, because normal rpg combat like in mmos or turn based combat is just not as interesting, while pure action games just don't hold my interest for very long.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

Actraiser.

It's pretty simple by today's standards and probably doesn't hold up very well. But the blend of city building with action platformer segments was very memorable and great for the time.

Also, do games that define new genres when they come out count as this? Because sometimes those define new genres because their particular mix of genres do tend to go very well together. Castlevania:SoTN, for example, or Minecraft.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Sekiro. its part soulsborne game, part stealth game, part platformer, part rhythm game and I love it.

I like action rpgs whenever I get to play them, because I get the freedom of being a badass, progression and a story with it, because normal rpg combat like in mmos or turn based combat is just not as interesting, while pure action games just don't hold my interest for very long.
    Based on your description, that sounds really cool. Thanks for the input!
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMug Paladin View Post
    Actraiser.

It's pretty simple by today's standards and probably doesn't hold up very well. But the blend of city building with action platformer segments was very memorable and great for the time.

Also, do games that define new genres when they come out count as this? Because sometimes those define new genres because their particular mix of genres do tend to go very well together. Castlevania:SoTN, for example, or Minecraft.
    Nice! In fact, that reminds me of the game called The Horde for 3DO. You alternate between building up your village and defenses, then running around defending said village when these monsters attack.

And sure, we can throw in genre-defining games. I really like me some Minecraft.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Persona. Well, from the PS2 era onward, as Persona 1 was just a SMT-style first-person dungeon crawler with a different setting and tweaked mechanics and Innocent Sin/Eternal Punishment are just isometric JRPGs with interesting if frustrating mechanics that kind of share the same setting as the first game though with a campier tone overall.

Anyways, mixing an anime high-school life simulator, 2D visual novel-style story, and dungeon crawler RPG creates a game experience that feels unique and has been shockingly well-executed since Persona 3. Persona interweaves the mundane aspects of going to school and forming relationships with others into the traditional RPG mechanics so nothing you do is truly a diversion from the main goal - solving the game's central mystery and defeating the end boss - and because you spend your elective time meeting people in this world and seeing their story develop the more invested you feel in the main plot rather than just being so because the main party characters are and what else are you going to do?

The game is as much about your main character and party's growth as human beings as it is about raising their conventional power levels to beat incrementally more challenging mobs, it's ludo-narrative synchronicity between the disparate game mechanics to make each stronger.

The lack of which is an issue faced by the Persona 4 Arena fighting games. Which I do like. I should say, but I do see the validity in the criticism that fighting game fans may not want to sit through hours of VN story-telling to get to the action, while conversely those interested in continuing the stories of the Persona 3 & 4 characters past their respective games might not want to play a finger-tiring dexterity-dependant fighter. The fighting and the story really have no interrelationship mechanically and one can be appreciated without really participating in the other.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Slay the Spire, for blending deck-building CCG with a Rogue-like dungeon crawl complete with events, loot, and boss monsters. Seems to be basically making a new genre as there are already imitators out there and it's looking like Hearthstone's next single-player mode is going to ape it as well.

7. - Top - End - #7

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Nice! In fact, that reminds me of the game called The Horde for 3DO. You alternate between building up your village and defenses, then running around defending said village when these monsters attack.
    That one was a lot of fun.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

8. - Top - End - #8

Space Rangers, both the first game and the second. (Quest, not so much.)

There's no game that better embodies "cross-genre". Wikipedia describes SR2 as a "multi-genre science fiction computer game", and the summary card is appropriately ridiculous:

That's not even telling the whole story, because "Text adventure" covers everything from puzzles, to adventure quests, to management sims, to card games, etc. The whole game is incredibly varied.
    It's entirely normal to go from top-down 2D arena shmup action in a wormhole, to turn-based tactical space combat when the wormhole dumps you into an occupied system, to 3D Scorched Earth-style robot-building RTS with optional third-person action controls when a liberated planet asks you to clear Dominator remnants off the surface, to quirky CYOA management sim when the planet's government sends you off afterwards to oversee a struggling ski resort branch they've opened somewhere.

It's pretty darn good. :)
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2019-04-19 at 10:13 PM.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMug Paladin View Post
    Actraiser.

+1 for Actraiser. Great game. There were a few more part of the same series, including one that was a bit like a city-simulator that occasionally had you get beamed down from heaven to fight demons in a platformer.

A few of my favorites:

• Dissidia: Strategy Fighting Game. It encapsulated that need for strategy and skill that you find in MOBAs, but in a 1v1 3d arena. And not that pseudo 2d-3d BS where you both shuffle sideways across the screen. It was like oldschool Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi battles, but your characters were extremely diverse and strategy was a lot more important than reaction time.
      Unless you were Jecht, who's only strategy was to punch you and punch away your bullets with the reaction time of a God. You want someone who constantly traps the battlefield? Got it. You want someone who feints and teleports around the enemy? Got it. You want someone who's only methods of attacks are 10s channeled spells and counter attacks? Got that too. Not to mention the various flavors of "I stab you" Final Fantasy characters that all have unique mechanics. The game is akin to playing Rock-Paper-Scissors in slow motion, and it's probably my favorite game of all time.
    • The Unholy War: Oldschool PS1 game, it was Chess, but your units would fight to the death in an arena rather than the insta-killing that Chess had. Like Dissidia, a combination of strategy and skill, but it keeps the two a bit more separated than Dissidia did. Often times, victory was about what unit was attacking what, not which player was a better fighter, and that was a feature (so that outsmarting on the chess game results in victories in the arena).
    • Faster Than Light: You probably already know this one, but it's a Strategy-Roguelike that requires a lot of quick thinking and the occasional sacrificing. Despite losing 90% of the time, I never got frustrated enough to stop playing.
    • Mindustry: A free, single player mobile game that combines a puzzle-esc conveyor belt economy game with turret defense. Once you get into it, it'll be hard to put down. I have dreams of laying down conveyor belts for my copper mines to load up routers connected to dozens of basic turrets for ammunition, that reroute back to my main base once my turrets are reloaded. The developer of this game is a genius, and I've paid a lot more for games that have been worth a lot less. If you're interested, there's a beta version of it that is an entirely new game, with spawning and controlling units to guard turrets and attack enemy bases (which are a thing in the beta, as well as server-based PVP).
    • Borderlands: It might seem pretty common now, but the RPG-FPS genre was barely a thing before Borderlands came around, and now it's something a lot of people would consider its own genre. The makers of BL took a risk, and without it we wouldn't have Firefall, Overwatch or Destiny.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-23 at 10:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Battlezone 1 and 2. Sci-fi games from 20 years ago that combined an RTS with an FPS. You built a base, gathered resources, built units etc. But you did all that while controlling a dude, who could either turtle in the command center and play the game like a normal RTS, or lead the charge either piloting one of the vehicles you'd built, or on foot with a pretty good variety of different loadouts. I really liked them.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

11. - Top - End - #11

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Crypt of the NecroDancer. Half roguelike, half rhythm game, with mechanics that kept reminding you of the rhythm game half.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

First person shooty/base buildy/third person actiony/racy/giant monster simulationy?

...yeah, okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

13. - Top - End - #13

Beholder

Spellforce is great crossover between rpg-games and rts-games, especially the first game. Also one of my favorite series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't know...Cuphead? That count? Boss rush/shoot 'em up with co-op and optimization.

15. - Top - End - #15

OldWizardGuy

Puzzle Quest, the original hybrid match-three / RPG game

And its spiritual successor Gems of War, an actually good (gasp!) free-to-play match-three / RPG game. (Seriously, go play it.)

The stories are super-basic, but the basic RPG reward loop of fighting battles so you can get *stuff* so you can become more powerful so you can fight more battles is there in spades.

16. - Top - End - #16

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Battlezone 1 and 2. Sci-fi games from 20 years ago that combined an RTS with an FPS. You built a base, gathered resources, built units etc. But you did all that while controlling a dude, who could either turtle in the command center and play the game like a normal RTS, or lead the charge either piloting one of the vehicles you'd built, or on foot with a pretty good variety of different loadouts. I really liked them.
    I'll see you and raise you Uprising, which was an even earlier RTS / first-person-action hybrid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uprising_(video_game)

17. - Top - End - #17

I'm actually struggling to think of cross genre games I've played. I think my memory is playing tricks on me with some of them in how it files them under whichever aspect was the most fun.

Valkyrie Profile was a really nice hybrid of Puzzle Platformer and nonstandard RPG Battles that kept me addicted for months. I would cite it as my favorite most days.

Blaster Master comes close in how it swapped between Platformer and Arcade Shmupy top down Dungeons and is an old favorite. Come to think of it, Super C was basically a linear version of this.

Defender of the Crown was a curious mishmash of a Koei war sim with a handful of other arcade games in a way that was quite coherent. Used to love the Fencing minigame.

Silly as it was, I used to have a game called Dinosaur Chess on the Amiga wherein any piece trying to take another piece went into an Arcade Street Fighter style battle where you took control of the dinosaur you moved and beat the crap out of the other dino with the winning piece killing the other. Before I got old enough to discover Click Adventures, it scratched that "I'm a 5 year old SO DINOSAURS!" itch.

Anymore? A Link to the Super Metroid Combo Randomizer. I've yet to play it as I just don't have the time to devote to getting good at it, but watching people suffer through it for 3+ hours while I work on shop work is a glorious pastime. Seriously looking forward to sitting down and trying it myself some month when I'm not on the clock for everything.

I feel like I'm forgetting several important games because I liked one specific aspect of them and forgot the others.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Valkyria Chronicles comes to mind - it's a TBS with a big splash of shooter in it. I'd also second Slay the Spire, and arguably Baten Kaitos for the same reasons. Steamworld Heist seems like an option as well, and while one of the genres is much heavier than the other it's certainly an excellent game.

I play enough stuff at weird genre edges that I'm honestly not sure what is and isn't a cross-genre game anymore, so those are the points of overlap between games I adore and things that seem like they might be there.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    Puzzle Quest, the original hybrid match-three / RPG game

And its spiritual successor Gems of War, an actually good (gasp!) free-to-play match-three / RPG game. (Seriously, go play it.)

The stories are super-basic, but the basic RPG reward loop of fighting battles so you can get *stuff* so you can become more powerful so you can fight more battles is there in spades.
    Hell yeah. Glad to see another PQ lover.

Orcs Must Die was popular when it came out, as a cross between a 3rd person shooter and a tower defense game.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

20. - Top - End - #20

I'll throw in my support for Crypt of the Necrodancer. For a game with an arguably silly premise whose title is a silly pun, it really has no right to be as good as it is.

I also recall child me being blown away by the Possession spell in the original Dungeon Keeper, which let you take control of one of your minions to do first person exploration. I guess in hindsight it might have been a bit gimmicky, but at the time it felt amazing. When I grew a bit older and more savvy in game mechanics, I even discovered that it was possible to cheese through many missions in the game by possessing a high-level Vampire, soloing the enemy Dungeon Heart, and then locating the hidden reward that let you take your highest-level minion to the next mission, so you could repeat the strategy immediately. I think I completed 5-6 levels in a row this way, essentially turning the game into a sort of FPS (although you did have to jump to isometric view to make your imps tunnel to the enemy).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Alent View Post
    Silly as it was, I used to have a game called Dinosaur Chess on the Amiga wherein any piece trying to take another piece went into an Arcade Street Fighter style battle where you took control of the dinosaur you moved and beat the crap out of the other dino with the winning piece killing the other. Before I got old enough to discover Click Adventures, it scratched that "I'm a 5 year old SO DINOSAURS!" itch.
    Pretty sure I had that game although I remember it as Dino Wars. I loved it so much that none of my friends wanted to play it with me because I was too good at it :)

Personally, I loved Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance which was a mix of turn-based boardgame-esque strategy, real time army battles (which was pretty bland honestly) and also had a classic dungeoneering RPG aspect where you had to raid various castles, ruins and such to get artifacts. I played that game so much and would love for a modern re-imagining of it

22. - Top - End - #22

OldWizardGuy

A while ago, there was a pretty fun romance simulator with some strategy elements thrown in. What was it called? Oh ya, Fire Emblem: Awakening.
    (ducks)

23. - Top - End - #23

That reminds me, I can't believe I forgot about Rune Factory.

It's kinda like....Zelda: A Link to the Past with Harvest Moon?

You can fight monsters, mine ores, tame monsters to work on your farm, gain resources from monsters you've tamed (like collecting Honey from a wasp monster), and a bunch of other stuff. You can take your romantic interest out on a "date", which may include fighting monsters while they use their own fighting style (mine ended up being a swordswoman who could cast Fireball). It's a good time.

5th Edition Homebrewery

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    Pretty sure I had that game although I remember it as Dino Wars. I loved it so much that none of my friends wanted to play it with me because I was too good at it :)
    That could've been my copy's name, too. It came to me via a floppy disk swap, and had a yellow post it note label, and sometimes in my house those were descriptive labels rather than a game's actual name.

*fondly remembers the days of fat tracks and floppy disk sounds*

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    A while ago, there was a pretty fun romance simulator with some strategy elements thrown in. What was it called? Oh ya, Fire Emblem: Awakening.
    (ducks)
    Awesome Hori Taizo tier dig at Nintendo aside, the S/RPG genre is basically a cross genre from the word go. The back of the original Fire Emblem box calls it a cross of Simulation and RPG genres... And then you end up with S/RPG + VN crossovers at some point.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Does Cat Girl Without Salad count? It claims to be a hybrid of everything, but it's really just a short SHMUP that has weapons based on other game genres. It's also really funny.

I'm also going to b3e the third-ish person here to bring up Puzzle Quest.

Finally, there's the Hand of Fate series by Defiant Development which... I'm not sure all of the things it's a hybrid of, but it definitely is, and it feels cohesive anyway.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Finally, there's the Hand of Fate series by Defiant Development which... I'm not sure all of the things it's a hybrid of, but it definitely is, and it feels cohesive anyway.
    I'd say "deck builder + roguelite" covers it pretty well. I really need to get around to the second one...
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

27. - Top - End - #27

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Quote Originally Posted by Goodvin Slot View Post
    Advent Rising. This is oldscool RPG - action - sci fi game. Very colorful game with its incredible atmospheric. The plot was written by Orson Scott Card. I have already played this game more than 15 times. And it is quite unique in gameplay. The game is inspired by colorful shootouts, acrobatics, unique abilities and their improvement.
    That game was so ahead of its time. The mix 'n match powers. The separate gun experience meters. The medkit mechanic they removed after the first act once you started being kinda superhuman. The combat started off feeling like Tomb Raider and ended more like The Force Unleashed 2. I'd have loved to see sequels on more powerful consoles.
    Last edited by Toric; 2019-05-17 at 07:18 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

PuzzleQuest was amazing, I'm glad more people have heard of it. I got the sequel on my phone, though it wasn't as good as the original, sadly. Crypt of the Necrodancer was also great! If only I wasn't so terrible at rhythm games.

King of Dragon Pass is a text-adventure and Civ-style management game that's sort of a unique experience. Basically you're the leadership of a pantheistic clan, and your ability to do well at the game's various tasks depends on the skills of the representatives you appoint to your clan ring. It's a really challenging balancing act of meeting the expectations of your warriors and farmers, diplomacy and trade with your neighbors, and the spiritual/cultural demands of your gods, all bound up in a wonderfully enigmatic magic system that has you sacrificing precious resources for various things.

Invisible Inc. is a turn-based, tactical stealth game with some roguelike mechanics and a really cool aesthetic.The core loop of infiltrating facilities, hitting the objectives, and getting out with minimal noise just plays so well. You're punished from going loud by alarm levels that increase the longer you stick around, and they get a sharp boost when you kill guards. And your lethal options rarely provide more than one or two shots without charge packs, which you only get two of per mission (assuming you reach and hack open the store that spawns on the level). I have logged an unhealthy amount of hours playing the endless mode. If it had a base-building component to it, I would probably never play another game.
    feed the crows

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

DungeonRaid. A match-3/roguelike from the aughts. Sadly, it did not survive the iOS 64-bit crossover...
    RIP

30. - Top - End - #30

Evoland and Evoland 2 were pretty fun, though they're more sequential-run-through-different-genres than multiple-genres-at-once cross-genre games.