New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Pottential Mithral Armor Houserule

This is pretty straight fwd. I miss the days of mithral being BA. Now, if your char is not really stealth focused it becomes very situational at best.
    So we are considering making the follow augmentation for out group to mithral armor: allows any armor category to become one category lighter (and 1/2 weight). Light armor remains light but would still get 1/2 weight and adv to stealth (which those using light armor are prob more prone to being stealth builds anyway).
    Thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Pottential Mithral Armor Houserule

Advantage to stealth? No. You are more stealthy if you are wearing a mithral shirt than if you are naked or wearing neutral colored clothing? Just no.

Weight thing and category, sure. Won't break anything unless you are handing out mitral like candy. (i.e. mithral platemail would be a legendary item imo).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Dropping the armor category will affect certain class abilities and feats like heavy armor mastery and medium armor mastery.

Removing disadvantage on stealth check and even removing the strength requirement on armor would be a better property for mithril
    Last edited by Garfunion; 2019-04-19 at 12:56 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kbob View Post
    This is pretty straight fwd. I miss the days of mithral being BA. Now, if your char is not really stealth focused it becomes very situational at best.
    So we are considering making the follow augmentation for out group to mithral armor: allows any armor category to become one category lighter (and 1/2 weight). Light armor remains light but would still get 1/2 weight and adv to stealth (which those using light armor are prob more prone to being stealth builds anyway).
    Thoughts?
    so a player with HaM gets a set of mit plate and it means he loses protection?
    constant advantage is very powerful, consider only allowing the advantage if they are not moving or just make it a magic item that can cast pass without a trace self only 1/day.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly? Just don't hand out mitril armor with less than a +2 bonus.
    Make Martials Cool Again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Making armors count one category lighter is perfect, and it fits what Mithril is supposed to be.

I wouldn't grant advantage on stealth to light armor, plus there are no light armors made primarily of metal. If there were, they benefit would be counting as unarmored, which is very good actually.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Isn't it already half weight and no STR requirement? Sorry, AFB.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Isn't it already half weight and no STR requirement? Sorry, AFB.
    By DMG its full weight, no STR requirements, removes penalty on Stealth.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Another option is allowing +2 more AC from Dexterity than normal armor would. So you could get AC 21 with halfplate, or AC 22 with full mithril.
    Make Martials Cool Again.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I apologize. I was wrong and mispoke. Not advantage on stealth but removing disadvantage if the armor would notmally have it. This is the current ruling on mithra i believel. It removes disadvantage on stealth due to armor. I dont think its all that amazing. Having it lower the armor category by one seems to be more logical to me. Basically the same thing as 3.5 without a static dex mod cap increase. This effectively comes out the same in prinicple as 3.5 tho as dex mods are capped by category type now and not by the specific armor itslef.
    To answer a question posed, yes, someone with medium armor prof would be able to wear “heavy armor” that is full plate because it is really medium now.
    If thats too much, then still treat it as the appropriate category for prof purposes (yes its light but you’re not used the bulkiness of the fullplate) but give the advantages of one category lighter (the full plate can now allow for a +2 dex mod to ac).
    I would obvioulsy increse the value of mithral consoderably but i think it works better for the theme than removing disadvantage to stealth when applicable does. Also, it once again makes it something to be desired. Something to quest for even.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kbob View Post
    I apologize. I was wrong and mispoke. Not advantage on stealth but removing disadvantage if the armor would notmally have it. This is the current ruling on mithra i believel. It removes disadvantage on stealth due to armor. I dont think its all that amazing. Having it lower the armor category by one seems to be more logical to me. Basically the same thing as 3.5 without a static dex mod cap increase. This effectively comes out the same in prinicple as 3.5 tho as dex mods are capped by category type now and not by the specific armor itslef.
    To answer a question posed, yes, someone with medium armor prof would be able to wear “heavy armor” that is full plate because it is really medium now.
    If thats too much, then still treat it as the appropriate category for prof purposes (yes its light but you’re not used the bulkiness of the fullplate) but give the advantages of one category lighter (the full plate can now allow for a +2 dex mod to ac).
    I would obvioulsy increse the value of mithral consoderably but i think it works better for the theme than removing disadvantage to stealth when applicable does. Also, it once again makes it something to be desired. Something to quest for even.
    Yep, this works. My group lets a mithril chain shirt count as Light armor, so pretty close to what you're proposing. Worst case scenarios with your rule would be half plate with 20 Dex for 20 AC or full plate with Medium Armor Master and 16 Dex for 21 AC.