New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Has it been that long?

Correct me if I’m wrong... but the Council of Clans fight happening right now is the Order’s first full team fight since the slaver beetles in BRitF?

Every fight since then has had them either separated or someone has been out of action.

- Linear Guild ambush at the arena: everyone was split up
    - Events at Girard’s Pyramid: V was off dealing with some stuff
    - And in every fight since, the real Durkon has been dead

So this is first full team fight featuring every member of the order since... #683?? Over 400 strips!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default Re: Has it been that long?

The first battle in the Dungeon of Dorukan against Team Evil could count.

Other than that --

yes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Weirdly enough, the pyramid battle also contains what i'd argue is The Order in general and Roy in particular's greatest show of competence to date, incapacitating half the Linear Guild and forcing the rest into retreat with nothing but a smoke stick and a holy word.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

How about the fight after the explosion of the pyramid? (Despite vampirised Durkon.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    How about the fight after the explosion of the pyramid?
    :raises finger:
    (Despite vampirised Durkon.)
    :puts finger down, looking baffled:

"How about this one fight which clearly and explicitly doesn't fulfill the OP's criteria? Despite the way in which it clearly and explicitly doesn't fulfill the OP's criteria."
    Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseTheBees View Post
    - And in every fight since, the real Durkon has been dead

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I would count the final battle against Durkon*. That Durkon was dead at the time doesn’t mean he wasn’t fighting that one, especially since he’s the one who won it.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I would count the final battle against Durkon*. That Durkon was dead at the time doesn’t mean he wasn’t fighting that one, especially since he’s the one who won it.
    Fyraltari has a point there
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Eh... I respectfully disagree. Durkon won the battle alone, well after the Vampires had utterly wiped the floor with the Order, Hilgya, and Minrah. Teamwork explicitly requires collaboration, which in turn requires communication; as a prisoner within his own body, Durkon could engage in neither activity with the Order, and as far as they had reason to know, he was simply dead and gone. As such, Durkon cannot reasonably be considered part of the team for that battle, regardless of his pivotal role therein. I'd instead concur with ReleaseThe Bees that this is the first fight in a long time where we have all six members of the Order working together. Frankly, it's been far too long !
    Last edited by Paleomancer; 2019-04-21 at 11:42 AM.
    2B or not 2B, that is... a really inane question

In communication and in fiction, what is intended and what is understood, rarely align even in the best of times. It even rarer for it to be the best of times.

9. - Top - End - #9

I'd say that might be an indicator of the final battle: if all of them are together against Xykon, they should be able to win.

However, the IFCC's plans want to make sure that doesn't happen...
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Given that the IFCC do not want the world to be destroyed any time soon, they may decide that allowing Xykon's demise is preferable to allowing the destruction of the final Gate.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    I'd say that might be an indicator of the final battle: if all of them are together against Xykon, they should be able to win.

However, the IFCC's plans want to make sure that doesn't happen...
    Quote Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
    Given that the IFCC do not want the world to be destroyed any time soon, they may decide that allowing Xykon's demise is preferable to allowing the destruction of the final Gate.
    I note a trend on this forum in general (including both these posts, but not limited to them by any means) to equate "hasn't been revealed" with "doesn't exist" in a way that perforce leaves the IFCC a purely reactive organization trying to derive some vague benefit from the situation, since so little of their actual agenda has been revealed.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I see no real indication the IFCC has any desire to protect the world. I'd argue that letting the world be destroyed in circunstances that benefitted them is probably high in their acceptable outcomes.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's unknown whether he could have achieved anything meaningful there without Belkar's stabby stick. Durkon himself admits he feared the effect could possibly just be temporary, iirc. It was certainly no solo victory, in any case.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

14. - Top - End - #14

Flumph

The one time the IFCC used one of their timeouts on V, they did so to make sure V didn't stop Roy from destroying Girard's gate. If the safety of the World was on their list of priorities, it would have been a lot simpler to just let V make sure the Gate was left intact.
    Granted, just because they wanted Girard's Gate destroyed doesn't mean they also want Kraagor's Gate destroyed. We will see in due time what they come up with.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I think it's possible the IFCC knew Xykon and Redcloak were going to arrive at the pyramid soon, and didn't them succeeding either, so its destruction was beneficial to them. They don't want either side to win after all.