New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Portal fantasy webcomic idea

I’m planning on making a portal fantasy webcomic for GitP to replace Erfworld. It’ll be in the vein of a D&D campaign, and it tells the story of a Japanese-American high school student who is summoned to a real-life fantasy world to fulfill a prophecy of some sort. (Haven’t figured all the details out yet...)

“A world bound to fiction could be completely real in another.
    But with being real comes a truly dangerous side.
    And to think I could go from the low point of my life to saving all of humanity from this ‘Dark Lord’...
    A cliché? Maybe. A blessing? One could argue.
    Hell, I don’t even belong in this world.”

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Portal fantasy webcomic idea

I am not sure what the intended purpose of this thread is? Commentary on your idea? Because you don't really seem to be far enough in the planning for that to help much. portal fantasy, ethnicity of MC, some kind of prophecy and like a d&d campaign (in what way? actual rules d&d rules or like that in another way?) isn't much to go on.

Or about replacing erfworld? I have no idea whether Rich Burlew is interested in hosting another second comic but if he is you probably would have to contact him not write in this sub and you probably should be further along . (Though I don't recommend planning on that.)
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2019-04-20 at 09:30 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I made this thread for brainstorming primarily. And Erfworld is now hosted on its own site; I wanted to fill the gap it left so as to have 2 webcomics on GitP again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

It moved 10 years ago, if The Giant considered it a gap he would probably have filled it by now. You can't really plan to have your comic hosted on someones else page, you can offer and since he has done it once before maybe it is not impossible (though I don't know how it came to erfworld being hosted here) but honestly planning on doing that is a tad over optimistic.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2019-04-20 at 10:11 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm neutral on setting "replacing Erfworld" as your goal, but I would avoid making any plans in that regard for now. It sounds like your focus right now should be 100% on how to develop the story you want to write, rather than where to get your story published.

I agree with Ibrinar that there isn't much to brainstorm or comment on as yet.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterKun View Post
    I’m planning on making a portal fantasy webcomic for GitP to replace Erfworld. It’ll be in the vein of a D&D campaign, and it tells the story of a Japanese-American high school student who is summoned to a real-life fantasy world to fulfill a prophecy of some sort. (Haven’t figured all the details out yet...)

“A world bound to fiction could be completely real in another.
    But with being real comes a truly dangerous side.
    And to think I could go from the low point of my life to saving all of humanity from this ‘Dark Lord’...
    A cliché? Maybe. A blessing? One could argue.
    Hell, I don’t even belong in this world.”
    Questions:
    1. Who is the main character? Age, ethnicity, nationalist, religion, philosphical beliefs, poverty level, relationship with parents/siblings/school? Do they like their old life and want to go back? Do they hate it and want to stay?
    2. What about the fantasy world is shocking for a modern audience, what are we exploring? Slavery, human sacrifice, tribal warfare? Is the daily grind of emptying a chamber pot, drinking small beer and sleeping in hay more difficult than moral issues? How prepared was the main character for this transition?
    3. What is the prophecy? How does the main character feel about prophecy in general, and theirs in particular?
    4. What new relationships does the main character make and how do they compare to old ones? Are they reminded of their friends by the new ones, are the new ones better friends? Do they feel like everyone they meet is a primitive barbarian and miss talking about Pokemon and skateboards?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".