The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Personal Woes and Advice 6

They are flying in trainers ~800-miles from home office today. They are not insurance agent trainers, but are customer service trainers. I wanted to show my new managers the manual that they made for us last year, but EVERYONE threw it away.

We will likely spend half the day role-playing (not the good kind) on how to talk to people over the phone . . . what we do every day.

We will likely ask a bunch of insurance agent questions that they will not know the answers to. They will take the questions down, and tell us that they will get back to us, and then never do. About 20% of the time they will bring an insurance agent manager who knows stuff.

They will likely hand out charts full of copious mistakes. Other than the wrong information here or there, they will often forget titles and years. The year for a chart is crazy important, as things change from year-to-year (printed on stacks of vinyl). 2019 prices, and 2020 prices could be wildly different. They will use different terms for the same thing, and not explain why (aside from being confusing to me, it is confusing to the customer even more). They will toss in *'s and not explain what they mean.

It drives my OCD nuts.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-09-18 at 09:46 AM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Colossus in the Playground

Id be better off dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Id be better off dead.
    That isn't true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Everything is going according to plan. And by that I mean the plan has changed like 3 times in the last year but now I have it written down and the new plan is going well!.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

Extended Sig

Brother of Battle by Emperor Ing

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

Id be better off dead.
    Why do you say that? Don't get me wrong, I've felt that way too. Even if it feels true, it isn't.
    Iop brain.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

Id be better off dead.
    I've been there. It will pass.

I hope I'm not being nosy but I looked at your post history. You mentioned the anniversary of your mom's death. That sounds like a pretty hard time - I don't know how long it's been or how close you were or anything, of course. But I know that's a pretty emotional time for a lot of people.

You don't need to worry about the future right now. Just take it one day at a time and make sure you get enough good food and some sleep as best you can.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

Grandpa's memory has plummeted. He now is off to take care of our foals and horses as he visits the farm.

The last horses were put down in 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

That kind of deterioration is...hard...and can be emotionally devastating for the people close to the person.

I hope you have people close to you that can support you through this.
    And don't be afraid to talk about some of the big questions of what-is-self, the emotion that i can only call anticipatory-grief, etc even if those topics don't seem totally relevant. They are. Those kinds of thoughts and having to psychologically deal with them are important. Just as much as him being frustrating or the like.

And also hope that you still have some time when he is aware and lucid...treasure it, drink every moment while you can. As hard as it can be to watch, regretting avoiding it is likely to be worse in the future.

If you have not dealt with it before...very much pick your battles...unless it is going to be an active problem (like unsafe driving for example) don't be pushy about having to correct everything, its not worth it.

Sadly there is often not as much classical social support for this kind of deterioration and loss as there is for say, a sudden death in the family etc. So things can get weird.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2019-09-21 at 01:31 PM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks. I've been expecting this, but it still hurts. I've not been able to visit my grandparents since, oh hell, May or June? And now this summer things have taken a turn, and clearly September hasn't served him any better.

His memory has been finicky for a couple of years now. I've been the person reporting my family about the changes - up until this summer, I made sure to visit them every 2-3 months. But after last christmas, when gramps had a... sort of a seizure due to his specific form of arthritis, I've just not recovered from it. It's still super painful. It feels awful.
    Last edited by FinnLassie; 2019-09-21 at 01:31 PM.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Yeah...it will feel awful.

Not much youcan directly do.
    Depending on how aware he is of the problem and what the nature of it is, keeping mentally active with things like puzzles etc may slow it down, but its kinda late to make such changes but may be worth seeing a doctor about.

Be strong,
    Don't be all stereotypical silent suffering Scandinavian - talk to people (friends, hopefully councilors at uni, a priest if that's your deal)

i wish you all the best, PM if you need,
    And you have my sympathies

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

It's kinda hard to be like those pesky Scandinavians, when I'm not one. Finland's not a part of Scandinavia, but the Nordic countries.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    It's kinda hard to be like those pesky Scandinavians, when I'm not one. Finland's not a part of Scandinavia, but the Nordic countries.
    Yeah....but I thought you were from Bergen

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Had a bit of an episode last night. I curled up into myself in my hotel room (I was at a convention) and started saying "I don't deserve to live" over and over and couldn't stop for a few minutes. I sobbed into my pillows for a while, felt worthless and alone. 2 hours before that I'd been happy and skipping around Delta H Con, enjoying myself. It wasn't set off by anything in particular as far as I can tell, it just kinda happened.

I'm feeling better now. Talked with some friends about it. One of them pointed out to me that my mood has been on a downward trend for months, and I've talking every morning about things I don't wanna bring up here. It didn't feel like a big deal in isolation, just something I had to deal with when I woke up in the morning, but the fact that it kept happening often enough that she'd noticed it as a trend was... a bit of an eye opener.

I thought I'd been doing better, and in some ways I have. But others... not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Everything is going according to plan. And by that I mean the plan has changed like 3 times in the last year but now I have it written down and the new plan is going well!.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

Extended Sig

Brother of Battle by Emperor Ing

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

What is it about me when I'm barely barely holding it together, want to scream in grief from a death in family, that suddenly makes me far more approachable for small talk by total strangers?
    Normally I wouldn't mind.
    But now?

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

My father died less than a month ago and people I barely know keep trying to be buddies with me and asking me to talk about it. I think they mean well but its still more emotionally distressing than helpful. I have my people that I'm close to. They're the people I'm crying with. They're the ones who know that I can't sleep because I keep having nightmares about his body. The acquaintances who keep trying to be helpful are not them and it brings up the pain more than it helps.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Weirdly that sounds like a time when social rituals could be helpful....and I'm sorry for your loss...that sounds like it hurts.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Revisiting some of my old internet hangouts.

Time sure flies. Graduated, got a job, got married, got divorced, got depressed, got better. Life has its ups and downs, but I reckon if we never give up and keep trying, everything's gonna be alright.

Stay gold everyone.
    Last edited by toysailor; 2019-09-28 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Grammar