New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Making a goblin guide

I am workshoping character concepts based on magic cards, I am thinking of making a goblin character probably ranger based on Goblin Guide.
    I would like some advice on backgrounds and subclasses.
    Also, what is the best way to get proficient in cartographer's tools?
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Making a goblin guide

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    I’d say getting them through a background would be easiest.

A Rogue (Scout) might be able to give you proficiency with the Cartographers tools if you pick a background that already gives you proficiency with Thieve’s tools.

Otherwise you’d have to ask your DM to use the downtown training rules, which should cost at least 250 gold and take at about a year (with weekends off).

The feat Keen Mind may be really useful. You can get lost if you miss your destination, but you won’t be nearly as lost as the angry gods of dice could get you,

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I am workshoping character concepts based on magic cards, I am thinking of making a goblin character probably ranger based on Goblin Guide.
    I would like some advice on backgrounds and subclasses.
    Custom background. Two skills, any combination of two languages or tool proficiencies.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Guild Artisan would be easiest, as it’s published in the PHB and you don’t have to do any tinkering.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DrKerosene
    I’d say getting them through a background would be easiest.

A Rogue (Scout) might be able to give you proficiency with the Cartographers tools if you pick a background that already gives you proficiency with Thieve’s tools.

Otherwise you’d have to ask your DM to use the downtown training rules, which should cost at least 250 gold and take at about a year (with weekends off).

The feat Keen Mind may be really useful. You can get lost if you miss your destination, but you won’t be nearly as lost as the angry gods of dice could get you,
    out of Xanathar's guide, training should cost about three months, is it different in the DMG? I like the training solution though

I am not sure I care for Keen Mind, the plus to int looks like it wouldn't be what I am looking for, looking at the skills more like dex and wis. also I will likely want survival which I think would cover the other effects. Also, while I like the idea of a goblin being not dumb, I am not sure I want a super smart goblin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sachabot
    Guild Artisan would be easiest, as it’s published in the PHB and you don’t have to do any tinkering.
    I looked at that, I am uncertain about the insight and persuasion being off brand though.

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Custom background. Two skills, any combination of two languages or tool proficiencies.
    I will probably end up using this, do custom backgrounds get starting equipment?

would ranger be a good fit for this kind of character or am I better off with something else like rogue? I am thinking this would be a fast moving(or hitting) skirmisher type and I think I am inclined more toward close combat for this idea.
    Edit: I should mention, I am going for an explorer, way finder type. the kind of character that could get you safely to the hidden stronghold deep in the forest or something, or make a map of the abandoned silver mine and sell it back in town.
    all and all, thank you for the input.
    Last edited by Witty Username; 2019-04-21 at 10:31 PM.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

6. - Top - End - #6

out of Xanathar's guide, training should cost about three months, is it different in the DMG? I like the training solution though.
    I had been thinking of PHB, page 187,
    First, you must find an instructor willing to teach you. The DM determines how long it takes, and whether one or more ability checks are required.The training lasts for 250 days and costs 1 gp per day. After you spend the requisite amount of time and money, you learn the new language or gain proficiency with the new tool.
    If you train for 8 hours a day, five days a week (and take two days off each week), it takes a year.

Anyways, if you know you’ll stay in the specific terrain, a (Conclave) Ranger is probably best. If you’ll be going into a number of unfamiliar terrains frequently, then Rogue Expertise may be better than the Ranger terrain advantage.

Rangers rely less on the team for damage in melee, but Rogue are only limited by their HP and not spells or other resources for how long they can go in a day.

Edit: IIRC there is a Cleric version of the Arcane Trickster, maybe your DM would allow a Druid spell themed version?
    Last edited by DrKerosene; 2019-04-22 at 06:35 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Stranger in the Playground Retired Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar

Go go, goblin ranger! You mighty mapping goblin ranger...

Sorry, distracted for a moment there. The Chult background of Archeologist would suit pretty well for a guide. You get Cartographer Tools and some ribbon ability to identify dungeon construction origins and appraise the loot inside.

A single level of Rogue for expertise is never a bad investment for a skill based character concept. Even the 1d6 sneak attack alone justifies the investment, seeing how that stacks with any conclave bonus and Hunters Mark.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

If you are permitted UA, the Fighter Scout subclass from UA12 - Classics Revisited would be a solid choice to go with Ranger. 3 levels nets you a fighting style, action surge, second wind, 3 skill proficiencies, combat superiority, and Natural Explorer (not sure if this would stack or not, but if the DM allows UA they will likely allow you an additional favored terrain).

Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    As a side note, I both love you and hate you for this post
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2019-04-22 at 07:29 AM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I would rather avoid UA. I have noticed it tends to cause drama, and not the good kind.

Archaeologist looks pretty good, I will need to keep that one in mind.

I would totally watch mighty mappin goblin rangers. but that is for another day.

10. - Top - End - #10

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    Note: there's actually a song about this, by Nekrogoblikon. Only with less maps.

OP, are you using XGtF for the goblin stats, or using any of the Planeshift: Zendikar goblin variants?

So for generations did the sainted skull of Caius Anicius Magnus Furius Camillus Æmilianus Cornelius Valerius Pompeius Julius Ibidus, consul of Rome, favourite of emperors, and saint of the Romish church, lie hidden beneath the soil of a growing town. At first worshipped with dark rites by the prairie-dogs, who saw in it a deity sent from the upper world..
    - H.P. Lovecraft, "Ibid".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Volo's guide goblin probably, I don't like the zendikar goblin. +2 con only for ability scores feels bad. Also, this is something of a concept without a game. a few of my friends have been talking about trying to run a game so I am getting ideas prepare just in case and Volo's guide is an easier sell than plane shifts, at the moment.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

don't forget the predjudice most adventurers have against goblins...
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.