New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default How far can a group get with the basic rules

I am about to start a group with brand new players. The only one of the books I have is the monster manual and the basic rules on dnd beyond. I’m wondering how far our game can go using just those books. I don’t want to spend the money if there is a chance our group won’t make it far. Also how much do I need the dmg?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How far can a group get with the basic rules

The DMG chapter 8 is pretty close to required reading for DMs. It discusses how to handle adjudicating ability checks, as well as giving you the DCs for social interaction. You can get the former in distilled form on this forum though.

Your players will suffer limited choices of class & archetype if the dnd beyond rules are the same as the basic pdf. Edit: of course, you can make one of them shell out for the full PHB if they can afford it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

You could theoretically play with just the basic rules indefinitely. I wouldn't, but I also shudder at the mere thought of only playing one system - if just one system is cool by you it's much more minor.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I think you could get pretty far as long as the content you put in front of the players is enjoyable and engaging.

While I like having my DMG and reference it a fair amount, I don't think I've ever used it directly when running a game.
    Any rules I've taken from it I've already tweaked to suit what I wanted for my group. Magic items and roll tables for treasure are great, but you can get away with custom items and online treasure hoard generators just fine.

If you were ever to go for another book, the PHB is a much higher priority than the DMG, but that's more about expanding options. Basic Rules will get you through most situations, and most DM's will make rulings on the fly to fit situations rather than pull out the book at every other moment.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Pretty far. As long as you are looking for free stuff, DMs guild has many free adventure modules too. I mean, they are often of the quality where I suggest skimming 'em and then putting the bits you like into your own game.

Just remember to have fun with your players. As long as that happens, then if you contradict the sourcebook it isn't a mistake, just an improvisation.
    yo

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Sure you can run/play the game with the basic rules.

Personally I would want a PHB to give subclass options.

DMG and other books are not needed

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The basic rules are robust and free. You could play them for a while.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

You can get pretty far with the basic rules. The main element lacking is variety of character choices for the players but for someone just starting the limited choices also provide a simpler framework and less that the player needs to know.

If you have any previous experience running a roleplaying game or playing earlier versions of D&D then you shouldn't have too much trouble running 5e. The DMG is not a requirement. I have it but I have mostly just used it as a reference for magic items. On the other hand, I have DMed previous versions quite a bit and played 5e for a couple of years now.

If you are new to DMing then I'd suggest reading some of the DM material available and ideally use a premade module to start off with. Lost Mines of Phandelver can be a good starting point but it would cost a bit of money to purchase.

The alternative is just to put together a small adventure using typical fantasy themes which is easy if you have experience at it but probably a bit of a challenge if this is your first time trying to run something.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    The DMG chapter 8 is pretty close to required reading for DMs. It discusses how to handle adjudicating ability checks, as well as giving you the DCs for social interaction. You can get the former in distilled form on this forum though.
    Here it is in a nutshell:

DCs should range between 10 and 20. Don't make a DC if the player is able to just repeatedly attempt the DC, so instead just say that the adventurer automatically succeeds or fails.

Skills don't rank up much over time, and skills also have a hard time being as epic as magic, so at later levels try to introduce more checks rather than implementing higher ones.

In the end, DC's are designed to create two possible futures: One where the character rolled high, and one where the character rolled low. If there's no difference between the two futures, don't create a DC.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-22 at 11:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Just the basic rules, which were released back during the playtest? I wouldn't recommend using those now. Just the system reference document? You can absolutely run a game with just that. It only has one subclass per class, and only a couple backgrounds, but it isn't missing anything required to run the game, and has statblocks for enough different monsters for an interesting campaign. If you don't know how d&d works, the basic rules will explain a bunch of terminology and goals, which will make the SRD make more sense.

There are a number of places to get it. 5esrd.com or roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/BookIndex are two easy to use versions.
    Last edited by lperkins2; 2019-04-22 at 12:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    In the end, DC's are designed to create two possible futures: One where the character rolled high, and one where the character rolled low. If there's no difference between the two futures, don't create a DC.
    Seems simpler to day "first, decide if its even possible to fail or even possible to succeed. If only one can happen, that happens. If both can happen, set a DC."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seems simpler to day "first, decide if its even possible to fail or even possible to succeed. If only one can happen, that happens. If both can happen, set a DC."
    Creating two different "futures" implies intent and direction. If you can't actively create two alternate realities where someone climbed the wall, or couldn't climb the wall, then don't bother making a difference. If it's not important that they succeed or fail then don't make the difference determined by random chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Make sure you get Elemental Evil Player’s Companion. It’s the only WOTC book that’s free legally. Nice race options and spells. A quick read too, packed with crunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    I wish to fill your intellect with light,
    light so aflame with life that cannot cease,
    in your eyes it will tremble like a star. -Beatrice, Paradiso 2.109-11

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Creating two different "futures" implies intent and direction. If you can't actively create two alternate realities where someone climbed the wall, or couldn't climb the wall, then don't bother making a difference. If it's not important that they succeed or fail then don't make the difference determined by random chance.
    Maybe the wall is climbed in both cases, but one was fast enough to catch the fleeing assassin and the other one wasn't.

IMO skills checks allow for more than binary decisions.

A persuasion check of 10 may get you nothing, while 15 gets you basic info and 30 a pledge of loyalty.

Same with crafts, you will likely be able to make a chair if you want to, but in case the quality of such is relevant, the Carpentry check will tell us how good it is.

But bottom line the principle is the same, if the result of the check won't have any impact in the adventure, don't ask the to players roll.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    But bottom line the principle is the same, if the result of the check won't have any impact in the adventure, don't ask the to players roll.
    No. Thats totally different from the DMG advice. Which is not to roll is something can't fail or can't succeed.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

No. Thats totally different from the DMG advice. Which is not to roll is something can't fail or can't succeed.
    So if someone wants to make a chair in their workshop you would have them roll?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lperkins2 View Post
    Just the basic rules, which were released back during the playtest? I wouldn't recommend using those now. Just the system reference document? You can absolutely run a game with just that. It only has one subclass per class, and only a couple backgrounds, but it isn't missing anything required to run the game, and has statblocks for enough different monsters for an interesting campaign. If you don't know how d&d works, the basic rules will explain a bunch of terminology and goals, which will make the SRD make more sense.

There are a number of places to get it. 5esrd.com or roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/BookIndex are two easy to use versions.
    This needs to be re-stated. The Basic Rules are really limited. The SRD can go all the way to 20.

Here's the official source too: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/feat...e-document-srd

Here's the Basic Rules: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

They have only one advantage: they're short. It's easier to look up mechanics quickly there. But the SRD is actually comprehensive, just with fewer character options (and magic items, backgrounds, etc) than the PHB/DMG combo.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    So if someone wants to make a chair in their workshop you would have them roll?
    Nope. That's something they cannot fail, barring unusual circumstances.

Sorry for my abruptness earlier. I wasn't trying to say "no impact" is a bad guideline. I meant it isn't what the DMG says.

But guess what? I'm wrong anyway.

The words I was thinking of were:
    When deciding whether to use a roll, ask yourself two questions:
    - Is a task so easy and so free of conflict and stress that there should be no chance of failure?
    - Is a task so inappropriate or impossible- such as hitting the moon with an arrow-that it can't work?
    If the answer to both of these questions is no, some kind of roll is appropriate.

But that is immediately proceeded by:
    Only call for a roll if there is a meaningful consequence for failure.

So you're right.

DMG p237 for both.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Nope. That's something they cannot fail, barring unusual circumstances.

Sorry for my abruptness earlier. I wasn't trying to say "no impact" is a bad guideline. I meant it isn't what the DMG says.

But guess what? I'm wrong anyway.

The words I was thinking of were:
    When deciding whether to use a roll, ask yourself two questions:
    - Is a task so easy and so free of conflict and stress that there should be no chance of failure?
    - Is a task so inappropriate or impossible- such as hitting the moon with an arrow-that it can't work?
    If the answer to both of these questions is no, some kind of roll is appropriate.

But that is immediately proceeded by:
    Only call for a roll if there is a meaningful consequence for failure.

So you're right.

DMG p237 for both.
    Thx for the DMG quote!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

As others have written the basic rules is fine to play with.

For someone new to the game I would suggest to start with the D&D Starter set for about 20$ you get Lost Mine of Phandelver a 64 pages adventures written for new players, rules for level 1 to 5, premade characters and sheets and a set of dice.

By the time the players made it to level 5 you'll know if they are interested enough in playing to be worth investing in more expensive books.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Without spending a dime just
    download a complete legal copy of the D&D Basic Rules from the WotC website here.

Then add a few more free rules with the V5.1 Systems Reference Document (including the OGL) here

and the Elemental Evil Player's Companion

I'd recommend shelling out $20 and getting The "Lost Mines of Phandelver" adventure in the 5e Starter Set which is a good one.

The Dungeon Master Guide, Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and the Princes of the Apocalypse adventure may all be checked out from the North Branch of the Berkeley Public Library, and most California Public Libraries may borrow from each othet for free via the Link Plus system.

That's more than enough to get started and play.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!