New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Villainous Competition XXXII: Oh HELL NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    In a converse vein, it is rather cheesy to take only the first level of a savage progression and still call yourself monstrous. At that point you are essentially any phb race with a coat of paint.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    Unless the rule has been explicitly stricken, the savage progressions state that once you begin one, you must complete it before you move on to something else.
    The savage progressions in the Savage Progressions series of articles on the WotC website do not need to be completed, but they are the exception. Those found in books like Savage Species and Libris Mortis do.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

That is entirely fair. For obvious example, squeezing in those extra HD for more epic feats.
    Oh, geeze, having more than 20 HD does qualify you for epic feats, doesn't it.

*eyes this CR 11 creature he was considering as a possible basis for his submission*

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Okay, thanks everyone. Disappointing but workable, and better to find out now than when I'm slapped with a 1 in Elegance, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post

*eyes this CR 11 creature he was considering as a possible basis for his submission*
    Ah-hahahaha mine is so much better at this than that. I have no specific ideas yet, just the vague concept of abusing epic feats. I may turn it into something or may just share the thought later.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Undead- er, undying gratitude to linklele for the avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

So, just to make sure of something: The VOerall Concept should include a big fat "Nope", but its not necessary to be, say a counterspeller or otherwise "Action annuler", correct? Just someone who "Nopes" stuff?

Cause I just had a funny Idea....^^
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

6. - Top - End - #36
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Yes.

of course, if you can nope and dispel, or nope and dispel and lockdown, or nope and dispel and lockdown and bfc... you get the idea.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

I've followed these off and on. Hell, I've judged a few. What is the precedence of epic spell usage? I don't recall any specific builds that used them before.
    Last edited by Buufreak; 2019-04-25 at 03:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    I've followed these off and on. Hell, I've judged a few. What is the precedence of epic spell usage? I don't recall any specific builds that used them before.
    Specifically excluded from this round, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    Some monstrous characters can technically qualify for Epic feats as soon as their ECL is over 20. While regular Epic feats will be allowed, Epic Spellcasting and all other Epic feats that affect spells, psionic powers, or item creation are not permitted. Including these would give an unfair advantage over standard characters.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Undead- er, undying gratitude to linklele for the avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

9. - Top - End - #39

Because it's relevant and an edge case, as well as possibly the best epic feat in the game, is Spell Stowaway one of those that "affects spells" and is thus banned from this competition?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Because it's relevant and an edge case, as well as possibly the best epic feat in the game, is Spell Stowaway one of those that "affects spells" and is thus banned from this competition?
    Spell Stowaway [Epic]

Prerequisites
    Spellcraft 24 ranks, caster level 12th.

Benefit
    Choose a spell-like ability you have, or a spell you can cast. You are attuned to the magic you choose. If another spellcaster within 300 feet of you uses this magic, you also immediately gain the magic’s effect as if it had been used on you by the same caster. You must have direct line of effect to the spellcaster in order to gain the benefit of the attuned magic (though you do not have to know the spellcaster is present, and you can be flat-footed). The magic’s duration, effect, and other specifics are determined by its original caster’s level.

Special
    You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat, it applies to a different spell or spell-like ability.
    While regular Epic feats will be allowed, Epic Spellcasting and all other Epic feats that affect spells, psionic powers, or item creation are not permitted. Including these would give an unfair advantage over standard characters.
    I would say Spell Stowaway definitely falls into the category of Epic feats that affect spells.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Specifically excluded from this round, at least.
    Well there I go, being blind as all else again. Feel free to hold that against me when scores come up for disputes.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Build completed and submitted, now I find myself once again in limbo, with nothing to do but wait. I suppose I could try to come up with a second idea for an entry...
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

13. - Top - End - #43

We can do multiple entries? ...probably won't due to time constraints (I won't have time to work on it until next weekend), but it might help me pick one to start with. I'm stuck on race, because it's not critical to the theme of the build, but drastically changes the way the theme is directed.

14. - Top - End - #44

DruidGuy

you're allowed up to 2 entries

While everyone's building, I went back and put all the completed tables into the first posts of the rounds i've chaired. should make it easier to find things if you need to :)
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-05-05 at 11:56 AM.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

So I've had a stroke of inspiration, and decided 100% on my chassis. Now to flesh it out and optimise it.

Ten days to go...I got this!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Phew, got my entry in! Now to play the waiting game.

Very interested to see if anybody else went in the same direction as I have...
    WINNER! Villainous Competition XXXII: Selene, Bride of Ruin
    Silver Medallist Villainous Competition XXVI: Faras Alnahr, Dark Scion of the Hippo God

17. - Top - End - #47

I'm still waffling on race, and am a little concerned that mine may seem like a one-trick pony. But, we'll see!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Oh, that reminds me.

Does killing people faster than they can act qualify as denying their actions?

19. - Top - End - #49

Daemon

This competition reminds me of every single Druid, mage, and spider in Baldur's Gate.

You must gather your party before adventuring forth...

~Entangled~
    ~Webbed~
    ~Greased~
    ~Slowed~
    ~Held~
    ~Surrounded by half a million bears~

Just let my fighter hit you already.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKaws View Post
    Does killing people faster than they can act qualify as denying their actions?
    Well you know what they say: death is the best debuff in the game.
    Optimization Trophies

21. - Top - End - #51

DruidGuy

deadline is saturday, have 3 builds in.
    Show

I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

22. - Top - End - #52

It's amazing how these contests get away from me. I have the build stub, but the time to really dig in and perfect it has eluded me. Especially since it's mostly centered around one big trick.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    deadline is saturday, have 3 builds in.
    I don't want to do it because it's too obvious. Yet, at the same time, I'm 100% sure no one is going to do because people think others will do it.
    Last edited by MisterKaws; 2019-05-13 at 02:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKaws View Post
    I don't want to do it because it's too obvious. Yet, at the same time, I'm 100% sure no one is going to do because people think others will do it.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

I have my tables done except for skill points. I should make it in under the deadline.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Deadline approaching: more than half done, but still a bit of work to go. I'm going to need to cram - also, I have an annual beer festival on Friday, so most of my work will need to be today and tomorrow.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Deadline approaching: more than half done, but still a bit of work to go. I'm going to need to cram - also, I have an annual beer festival on Friday, so most of my work will need to be today and tomorrow.
    Made a lot of progress, then didn't save the document properly.

Have to play it by ear at this stage...

28. - Top - End - #58
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Made a lot of progress, then didn't save the document properly.

Have to play it by ear at this stage...
    Sorry to hear that, that's among the very worst feelings in the world. Good luck getting finished in time! I've always enjoyed your entries.
    WINNER! Villainous Competition XXXII: Selene, Bride of Ruin
    Silver Medallist Villainous Competition XXVI: Faras Alnahr, Dark Scion of the Hippo God

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Not gonna get my builds in till the deadline, sorry.

The simple one was too simple/Gimmicky, and I simply didnt have the time to make the vastly complicated other Build work (or to find out it didnt work mayhap^^).

Open to Judging though. ;)
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting theme. Not something I'd know what to do with (especially since I'm more comfortable with making good villainous fluff than crunch), but interesting. Posting to watch and judge the results, and to see if the next competition's theme is one that inspires me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.