Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Greenhilt Sword's per day limit

    So, in #1046 Roy tells his father that the sword (probably) a daily limit on uses.

    However, have we seen it being used more than once in a single day? As far as I remember there were only three instances of it being used: In both Durkon* fights and versus the female frost giant, which all occurred on different days.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Caerulea's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Sleeping in a paper bag.

    Default Re: Greenhilt Sword's per day limit

    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    So, in #1046 Roy tells his father that the sword (probably) a daily limit on uses.

    However, have we seen it being used more than once in a single day? As far as I remember there were only three instances of it being used: In both Durkon* fights and versus the female frost giant, which all occurred on different days.
    The Giant probably will decide what it is whenever it becomes plot relevant. I don't believe we have seen super!Roy more than once in a day. He has used the fire multiple times in a day, including with a break between them.

    óCaerulea
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meus est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not a humanoid. Come not be one too.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: Greenhilt Sword's per day limit

    Roy certainly seems to treat the returning property as having infinite charges. I suppose he might have read about it in the book, but it would be quite interesting of the sword suddenly didn't come back.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: Greenhilt Sword's per day limit

    Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Roy certainly seems to treat the returning property as having infinite charges. I suppose he might have read about it in the book, but it would be quite interesting of the sword suddenly didn't come back.
    I made it four times in the Banquet Hall fight. There's several ways it could work though.
    1) Sword has Returning property permanently.
    2) Sword has Returning x/day.
    3) While in Green Fire mode, sword has Returning.
    4) While in Green Fire mode, sword has Returning (x/day)
    5) While in Green Fire mode, sword has Returning. Using returning reduces the duration of GFM by one round.

    Or ki points. Or psionic power points. Or essentia.
    Really there's a lot of variables that I doubt Rich will specify, as doing so means nitpickers be nitpickin'.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greenhilt Sword's per day limit

    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I made it four times in the Banquet Hall fight. There's several ways it could work though.
    1) Sword has Returning property permanently.
    2) Sword has Returning x/day.
    3) While in Green Fire mode, sword has Returning.
    4) While in Green Fire mode, sword has Returning (x/day)
    5) While in Green Fire mode, sword has Returning. Using returning reduces the duration of GFM by one round.

    Or ki points. Or psionic power points. Or essentia.
    Really there's a lot of variables that I doubt Rich will specify, as doing so means nitpickers be nitpickin'.
    Based on the angle of the moon, the time of year and the precise alignment of your mother (or her corpse) relative to your current position, the number of steps taken in-game, and the amount of dragons slain...
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It shall be swift and ruthless. Unless any Ruths intend to join, in which case it shall be ruthful.
    Purple is the color of humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is the color of serious conversation about theoretical ideas, if transitioning from other stuff
    Blue is the color of irony and sarcasm


    In the end, its all in the cards...

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Greenhilt Sword's per day limit

    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I made it four times in the Banquet Hall fight. There's several ways it could work though.
    1) Sword has Returning property permanently.
    2) Sword has Returning x/day.
    3) While in Green Fire mode, sword has Returning.
    4) While in Green Fire mode, sword has Returning (x/day)
    5) While in Green Fire mode, sword has Returning. Using returning reduces the duration of GFM by one round.

    Or ki points. Or psionic power points. Or essentia.
    Really there's a lot of variables that I doubt Rich will specify, as doing so means nitpickers be nitpickin'.
    Well we've seen it return while not in green fire mode (eg the first two times), so it's probably not 3-5.

    My guess is it has unlimited minus one uses per day. Not quite as good as unlimited, but still quite powerful.
    Last edited by MartianInvader; 2019-04-30 at 08:35 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greenhilt Sword's per day limit

    Quote Originally Posted by MartianInvader View Post
    Well we've seen it return while not in green fire mode (eg the first two times), so it's probably not 3-5.

    My guess is it has unlimited minus one uses per day. Not quite as good as unlimited, but still quite powerful.
    When the series is over, Rich will count the highest number of times Roy has used it in one day.
    Then we will find out the daily limit is 2 uses higher than that.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-04-30 at 08:46 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It shall be swift and ruthless. Unless any Ruths intend to join, in which case it shall be ruthful.
    Purple is the color of humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is the color of serious conversation about theoretical ideas, if transitioning from other stuff
    Blue is the color of irony and sarcasm


    In the end, its all in the cards...

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator
     
    Douglas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greenhilt Sword's per day limit

    I'd guess that the returning (though it's actually teleporting, and can be summoned whenever he wants rather than only right after throwing it) ability is unlimited, while the self-healing and buffing abilities have daily limits. The sword (but not Roy) lighting up with green fire for increased damage might also be unlimited, but I'm less sure about that.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

    Avatar by Ceika.

    Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: Greenhilt Sword's per day limit

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I'd guess that the returning (though it's actually teleporting, and can be summoned whenever he wants rather than only right after throwing it) ability is unlimited, while the self-healing and buffing abilities have daily limits.
    The Teleporting psionic weapon property would fit.

    The Called weapon property from Pathfinder might fit with Roy's ability to summon it - but that has a 100 ft range limit. 3.5 has a "summon from anywhere on the plane" property for armour (Called, in MIC) but I couldn't find anything like that for weapons.

    Maybe people who think there is, read the armour version, assume there's an identical version for weapons, and don't actually check the book?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2019-05-03 at 02:38 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •