New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Greenhilt Sword's per day limit

So, in #1046 Roy tells his father that the sword (probably) a daily limit on uses.

However, have we seen it being used more than once in a single day? As far as I remember there were only three instances of it being used: In both Durkon* fights and versus the female frost giant, which all occurred on different days.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Greenhilt Sword's per day limit

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    So, in #1046 Roy tells his father that the sword (probably) a daily limit on uses.

However, have we seen it being used more than once in a single day? As far as I remember there were only three instances of it being used: In both Durkon* fights and versus the female frost giant, which all occurred on different days.
    The Giant probably will decide what it is whenever it becomes plot relevant. I don't believe we have seen super!Roy more than once in a day. He has used the fire multiple times in a day, including with a break between them.

—Caerulea
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Roy certainly seems to treat the returning property as having infinite charges. I suppose he might have read about it in the book, but it would be quite interesting of the sword suddenly didn't come back.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Roy certainly seems to treat the returning property as having infinite charges. I suppose he might have read about it in the book, but it would be quite interesting of the sword suddenly didn't come back.
    I made it four times in the Banquet Hall fight. There's several ways it could work though.
    1) Sword has Returning property permanently.
    2) Sword has Returning x/day.
    3) While in Green Fire mode, sword has Returning.
    4) While in Green Fire mode, sword has Returning (x/day)
    5) While in Green Fire mode, sword has Returning. Using returning reduces the duration of GFM by one round.

Or ki points. Or psionic power points. Or essentia.
    Really there's a lot of variables that I doubt Rich will specify, as doing so means nitpickers be nitpickin'.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I made it four times in the Banquet Hall fight. There's several ways it could work though.
    5) While in Green Fire mode, sword has Returning. Using returning reduces the duration of GFM by one round.

Really there's a lot of variables that I doubt Rich will specify, as doing so means nitpickers be nitpickin'.
    Based on the angle of the moon, the time of year and the precise alignment of your mother (or her corpse) relative to your current position, the number of steps taken in-game, and the amount of dragons slain...
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post

Well we've seen it return while not in green fire mode (eg the first two times), so it's probably not 3-5.

My guess is it has unlimited minus one uses per day. Not quite as good as unlimited, but still quite powerful.
    Last edited by MartianInvader; 2019-04-30 at 08:35 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MartianInvader View Post
    Well we've seen it return while not in green fire mode (eg the first two times), so it's probably not 3-5.

My guess is it has unlimited minus one uses per day. Not quite as good as unlimited, but still quite powerful.
    When the series is over, Rich will count the highest number of times Roy has used it in one day.
    Then we will find out the daily limit is 2 uses higher than that.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-04-30 at 08:46 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

8. - Top - End - #8
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I'd guess that the returning (though it's actually teleporting, and can be summoned whenever he wants rather than only right after throwing it) ability is unlimited, while the self-healing and buffing abilities have daily limits. The sword (but not Roy) lighting up with green fire for increased damage might also be unlimited, but I'm less sure about that.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I'd guess that the returning (though it's actually teleporting, and can be summoned whenever he wants rather than only right after throwing it) ability is unlimited, while the self-healing and buffing abilities have daily limits.
    The Teleporting psionic weapon property would fit.

The Called weapon property from Pathfinder might fit with Roy's ability to summon it - but that has a 100 ft range limit. 3.5 has a "summon from anywhere on the plane" property for armour (Called, in MIC) but I couldn't find anything like that for weapons.

Maybe people who think there is, read the armour version, assume there's an identical version for weapons, and don't actually check the book?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2019-05-03 at 02:38 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele