New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Forgotten spells

So running a game last night and had a player use divine word for the first time. I don't claim to have all the spells memorized but I didn't even know which book it was in to look it up.
    The party was fighting a bunch of fey daisy chain summoning more fey so it was actually a good time to cast it.
    Personaly it seems a little weak for the spell level but bonus action casting surprised me and the player casting it because he wrote it down as a action casting.

It's funny no matter how many times I read the player handbook I can be surprised by something new.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Forgotten spells

Well, it needed to be toned down from it's 3.x version, but 5e one it's too weak IMO

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Is divine word this edition's version of blasphemy and all those other spells that amount to yelling at people of different alignments?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Is divine word this edition's version of blasphemy and all those other spells that amount to yelling at people of different alignments?
    Yup, IIRC Holy Word was the version that worked against evil alignments in 3.x, Divine Word is pretty close in name

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    So running a game last night and had a player use divine word for the first time. I don't claim to have all the spells memorized but I didn't even know which book it was in to look it up.
    The party was fighting a bunch of fey daisy chain summoning more fey so it was actually a good time to cast it.
    Personaly it seems a little weak for the spell level but bonus action casting surprised me and the player casting it because he wrote it down as a action casting.

It's funny no matter how many times I read the player handbook I can be surprised by something new.
    Divine Word is pretty good at what it does. It's like a no-concentration AoE Banishment which doubles as a no-friendly-fire chaff-killer. Pretty good AoE as well, and a good action economy. Not the best spell but a pretty good one in the right situation.