New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Do rings have to be worn on fingers ?

This came up in my pathfinder group. Does the rules state rings have to be worn on fingers or can they be worn anywhere?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Do rings have to be worn on fingers ?

Quote Originally Posted by huginn View Post
    This came up in my pathfinder group. Does the rules state rings have to be worn on fingers or can they be worn anywhere?
    By RAW, you can wear them anywhere, but only two at a time.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Scientific research says this topic has 99% chance of turning phallic within approximately 10 posts. This will be another chance to observe whether the rule holds.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Scientific research says this topic has 99% chance of turning phallic within approximately 10 posts. This will be another chance to observe whether the rule holds.
    *sigh* You realize that you've contaminated the experiment by self-fulfilling with that very post, right?

More seriously, I see no reason you can't wear a ring on a toe, eyestalk, tentacle, or even decide to be creative and go for a pierced ear or something. You're limited to two rings, though. Period.

Though...you may want to check to see if there are special rules for your body type; some monsters have non-standard body slots, which might include more or fewer ring slots than normal.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    look at this item
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items...meridian-belt/

It states " in addition to the ring on each hand".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I know novels don't carry much weight, but the assassin Ghost from the Cleric Quintet had a ring of regeneration on one of his toes
    Useful tips and hints for those wanting to try DDO out but are new (click the link and help my friend get 1 step closer to becoming a full time blogger) :)
    http://mylifeinstormreach.blogspot.com/

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    That link says nothing about the first half of that sentence.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/
    If you scroll down to using items, you may have one ring on each hand. It says 'However, each of those items must be worn on (or over) a particular part of the body, known as a “slot.”' The diagram shows the hands, with a ring on each one. You might argue that a total of two rings may be on the hands in any arrangement (e.g., both on the same hand) since it says "rings (up to two)" as if it were a group. 3.5 rules say specifically you can do this, but I didn't find confirmation in Pathfinder so I can't say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jk7275 View Post
    look at this item
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items...meridian-belt/

It states " in addition to the ring on each hand".
    And this seems to imply that it's one ring per hand.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2019-04-24 at 11:03 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seems to me a pretty natural DM fiat sort of thing. You have to lean on off-label, albeit official, stuff to get something "RAW" for it. Definitely sounds like 'up to your DM' stuff.

As for me, I'd totally allow rings to take any appropriate jewelry form (explicitly excluding necklaces): earrings, nose rings, toe rings, lip piercings, whatever. It's not totally transforming it into something it's not (like a tattoo or the like), and it's easy enough to have two of any of those things on different limbs or otherwise separate from each other. And since I have literally zero interest in rules that result in dismemberment, there's no gain by avoiding ring loss from never having a hand or finger cut off--you never will lose a finger etc. in a game I run, so the result is the same.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I could have sworn it was as many rings as you wanted, but only 2 could be magical.

Also! Has anyone checked the BoEF for anything on this subject yet?
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    *sigh* You realize that you've contaminated the experiment by self-fulfilling with that very post, right?
    Typically GitP-ers, they just couldn't stop at Schrödinger wizards, but had to have quantum threads as well...

On topic, I agree with some previous posters that this really ought to be 100% a flavor issue, and I can't see any reason whatsoever not to treat it as such. But of course, if it is 100% flavor, then the question of which specific part(s) of your body is wearing a ring will also never affect any game mechanics, regardless of whether that turns out to be detrimental or great for your PC.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Here is a set of Pathfinder rules for the use of magic items slots for non-humanoid body shapes (avian, quadruped, etc).

Only some can include rings. E.g. quadruped, piscine, and serpentine can't have rings; presumably because they don't have fingers.

EDIT: It says right before the table, though:
    Note that the rules in this section are merely suggestions, and ultimately it is up to the GM to decide what kinds of animals can use particular types of magic items
    Last edited by Hiro Quester; 2019-04-25 at 12:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

12. - Top - End - #12

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Do rings have to be worn on fingers ?

By rules as written. There is a way to wear and use a third ring. It involves the necklace slot and the mummified hand of an elf.

It should be noted I enjoy playing 1/2 orcs and find ways tomake elves uneasy in my presence. I do not speak the language of elves. They have told me I should learn a decent language. Kind of like telling a human they cuss well they must have Klingon blood! So you can change it if you want. Mummified hand is your answer.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party