Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Race/Class combinations you wouldn't play

I had a conversation a little bit ago about how much I enjoyed the goblin race and how I could see myself playing them as most classes, with the exception of rogues, oddly enough. Their racial bonus action hide/disengage overlaps too much with cunning action, which would cause me to want to pick some other race that could better use it. I had a similar problem with Tabaxi Thieves.

Are they any race/class combinations that you find yourself not really able to play, either for thematic, mechanical, or personal preference reasons?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Race/Class combinations you wouldn't play

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRoxTheBoat View Post
    I had a conversation a little bit ago about how much I enjoyed the goblin race and how I could see myself playing them as most classes, with the exception of rogues, oddly enough. Their racial bonus action hide/disengage overlaps too much with cunning action, which would cause me to want to pick some other race that could better use it. I had a similar problem with Tabaxi Thieves.

Are they any race/class combinations that you find yourself not really able to play, either for thematic, mechanical, or personal preference reasons?
    Human Variant with Fighter: Overly played, to the point of being clichť.

Halfling Barbarian: At this point, you're trying to be ironic. The Gnome provides a lot more and accomplishes the same thing.

Dragonborn Rogue: It just doesn't really fit my image of the Dragonborn, and flavor-wise they wouldn't be interested in being Rogues.

Half-Orc Wizard: These are usually played as "dumb wizards", and there aren't enough smart characters in 5e as it is. It'd be like ruining the last ration for a punchline. Jokes are fine, but it shouldn't ruin a perfectly valuable resource doing so. A joke-Fighter would be a lot more valuable to a team.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-24 at 01:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, using existing classes to open up more unique character builds.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Half-Orc Wizard: These are usually played as "dumb wizards", and there aren't enough smart characters in 5e as it is. It'd be like ruining the last ration for a punchline.
    I played a multiclass half-orc barbarian/wizard once (in 3.5). He was kind of hilarious but actually a halfway decent gish... for the entirety of the one session he survived before another character instigated a party wipe. His thing was that he was way smarter than anyone gave him credit for, but had a tendency to start seeing red and go into a rage if a fight broke out.

There's not much I won't play, if anything. I think that category pretty much includes "anything I've played even remotely recently", because I tend to jump from one concept to the next. Even when I return to a concept I try for a different take on it, a different class as the base for example.
    Last edited by The Kool; 2019-04-24 at 12:00 PM.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Halfling/Gnome/Kobold/Goblin Barbarians: Every one of these I've encountered at local game shops or conventions conveniently has Gauntlets of Ogre Power or a Belt of Giant Strength and attributes that were designed with the expectation of gaining such an item from the very beginning. I don't like character builds that require a specific type of magic item to work.

Orc Wizard: Yeah, it's funny. But once the joke gets old, you still have a dumb wizard.

Deep Gnome Abjuration Wizard: A race/class combo that is being picked solely to exploit a loophole in Arcane Ward. Sure, I could probably come up with a good backstory, but in the end, it's just there to mask that the character is a walking exploit.

5. - Top - End - #5

Iíd pass on almost any rogue if the race didnít have Darkvision.

Seriously, Iím going to spend half my time slithering around in the dark, and I get to choose if Iím blind in the dark or not?

Yes a warlock MC would be fine and so on... and maybe, just MAYBE a mastermind or swashbuckler could get by without (though even there I probably wouldnít go that route) but single class rogue? No Darkvision? Yuck!
    Last edited by Spiritchaser; 2019-04-24 at 01:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Lizardfolk

charismatic lizardfolk: no paladin/bard/sorc/warlock.
    contemplative lizardfolk: no monk.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Just, please don't. Insisting on that technicality improves nothing.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyTiger View Post
    charismatic lizardfolk: no paladin/bard/sorc/warlock.
    contemplative lizardfolk: no monk.
    An Inquisitive Rogue Lizardman would be really interesting.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, using existing classes to open up more unique character builds.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I will never be able to bring myself to play a class with a race that doesn't synergies.

For example, I play a wood elf goo tomb warlock(BFC) only because we were able to move the racial stat bonus.

9. - Top - End - #9

All this disdain for halfling barbarians... they're so much fun, though!

Since I have a tendency to draw up plans for things that go against racial norms, the race/class combos I'd probably wouldn't play are the dreadfully obvious ones, dwarf fighters, high elf wizards, wood elf rangers, halfling rogues, tiefling warlocks, so on and so forth. Though sometimes it's fun to go with an obvious class and subvert it in some way, maybe be a dwarven eldritch knight, for example.
    Nobody expects the Gnomish Inquisition!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

There's some races I just don't like.

Goliath. Aside from Stone's Endurance, they're pretty trash. I'll take Half Orc all day.

I want to like Kenku, thematically. I really do. But I hate the prospect of actually playing one. Though I do have this idea of a Kenku Bard that speaks only in real-world song titles....

"Bard, you ready to fight?"
    "Like a virgin!"

But no race/class combos.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Half-Orc Wizard: These are usually played as "dumb wizards", and there aren't enough smart characters in 5e as it is. It'd be like ruining the last ration for a punchline. Jokes are fine, but it shouldn't ruin a perfectly valuable resource doing so. A joke-Fighter would be a lot more valuable to a team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakmala View Post
    Halfling/Gnome/Kobold/Goblin Barbarians: Every one of these I've encountered at local game shops or conventions conveniently has Gauntlets of Ogre Power or a Belt of Giant Strength and attributes that were designed with the expectation of gaining such an item from the very beginning. I don't like character builds that require a specific type of magic item to work.
    I actually did a combination of these with a Minotaur Wizard who dumped Int and had a headband of intellect. He'd had it for a long time at that point, though, and had the full understanding from the years and experience that he was nothing without it. He was desperately afraid or thieves and anyimagic fields, 'cause who couldn't go back to what he was. So, kind of a play on the dumb wizard, but without the dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritchaser View Post
    Iíd pass on almost any rogue if the race didnít have Darkvision.
    My very first character was in a beginners game where they needed a rogue and the DM recommended human to keep things simple. Right about level 4 I begged him to let me respec, as we were dungeon delving and I couldn't sneak or scout without disadvantage and darkness kept ruining my sneak attacks. I ended up taking 2 levels of Warlock just for the darkvision.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRoxTheBoat View Post
    My very first character was in a beginners game where they needed a rogue and the DM recommended human to keep things simple. Right about level 4 I begged him to let me respec, as we were dungeon delving and I couldn't sneak or scout without disadvantage and darkness kept ruining my sneak attacks. I ended up taking 2 levels of Warlock just for the darkvision.
    Geez, even Adventurer's League lets you respec before lv5.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I'm not sure if there's anything I'd ever not play. I wish I could play D&D enough for this to be an issue.

My 'worst' 5e character was a high elf trickery cleric, which sounds pretty close to a bad idea from the get-go, but that character pulled their weight decently well. I'd be eager to try other bizarre combos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    This thread, Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW by No brains, is Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    That is so stupid it's hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    ...I've clearly been playing D&D for too long, because that made a demented kind of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by that_one_kobold View Post
    And this is why I love D&D

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

human fighter with a sword
    elf ranger with a bow
    halfling or human rogue who steals things as comic relief
    orc barbarian who wields an axe
    dwarf fighter who wields an axe
    drow ranger who wields two scimitars
    halfling or human bard who is comic relief
    human wizard with a big white beard, robes and wand/staff
    human paladin with a sword and shining armor

just anything cliched and stale. if its too normal, I don't go for it.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 23!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    human fighter with a sword
    elf ranger with a bow
    halfling or human rogue who steals things as comic relief
    orc barbarian who wields an axe
    dwarf fighter who wields an axe
    drow ranger who wields two scimitars
    halfling or human bard who is comic relief
    human wizard with a big white beard, robes and wand/staff
    human paladin with a sword and shining armor

I'd be fine with a Drow Ranger with two scimitars, if only because of how poorly optimized it is. It's an 'unnatural' trope that you don't actually see anything similar to it very often.

On the flipside, though, I've seen many White Knight Paladins, orphan Sorcerers, edgelord Warlocks than I care to count.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-24 at 04:35 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Yeah, I have a hard time getting excited to play the fantasy stereotypes. If forced to, I'd have to play them against type somehow.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Dragonborn anything.
    Anything small-sized, except goblins.
    Volo's anything, except Yuan-ti, maybe, depending on the setting's lore. And goblins.
    EE anything.
    Ravnica anything.

I see no point in having crapload of sapient humanoid species in a setting. 5-10 is more than enough, but things derived from normal races may get pass.
    Last edited by JackPhoenix; 2019-04-24 at 04:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    I'm not sure if there's anything I'd ever not play. I wish I could play D&D enough for this to be an issue.
    This.

If I get a good idea for a char, class/race combination is never gonna be a problem.

I just wouldn't play a character I don't have a good story/background/reason for.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Wouldnít play? No.

Not big on certain races. Tiefling, Dragonborn, Half-anything including Halfling, High/Drow Elf - these are ďyet to be planned much less played.Ē

Admittedly, Mountain Dwarf anything is an obsession; Feat oriented Variant Human mono-class 0D&D tropes of Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, or Cleric; and Gnome Wizard MCs dominate my current mix of PCs.
    I play AL games only nowdays.

Preferences: Role play over optimization; Dwarf over Gnome over Variant Human; War games over FRPG; Zorro over Batman over everyone else.

The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and fighting by fools.

Charles George Gordon
    1833-1885

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

An Inquisitive Rogue Lizardman would be really interesting.
    My wife (DM) killed my fire genasi wizard last Friday and my firbolg tempest cleric friend, we're playing Tomb of Annhilation, and I just rolled up a monster hunter ranger4/inquisitive rogue3 lizardfolk. Should be fun!

Ill play anything that I get a good concept for. I really do think d&d should move away from racial stat bonus's though because a lot of people refuse to play unoptimized even if it would be fun.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by intregus View Post
    My wife (DM) killed my fire genasi wizard last Friday and my firbolg tempest cleric friend, we're playing Tomb of Annhilation, and I just rolled up a monster hunter ranger4/inquisitive rogue3 lizardfolk. Should be fun!

Ill play anything that I get a good concept for. I really do think d&d should move away from racial stat bonus's though because a lot of people refuse to play unoptimized even if it would be fun.
    I don't think I'd mind that too much. Maybe each race has a very niche benefit that will only be relevant if you actually used it.

I guess that brings up a good question: Are racial tropes good? Is it good that a Wood Elf is more inclined to be a Rogue than a Half-Orc is? Or should we see just as many Half-Orc Rogues as we do Wood Elves? Probably best for another topic, thinking about it.
    Spoiler: Some random ramblings
    Show
    On one hand, opening up diversity provides players a lot more options for their narrative. There would be less restrictions on what they'd feel comfortable playing.

But on the other, the racial bonuses provide a sense of culture and familiarity with their choices. Half-Orcs are Barbarians because it's natural for them, and you feel like a true Half-Orc by being a Barbarian just like the rest of your Race. Even if there were no modifiers dictating what direction you should go, a Half-Orc Rogue will always feel out of place, because tropes. But there'd be no reason for that feeling if there were no modifiers to push you towards a direction. A Half-Orc Rogue is unoptimized, so it is both mechanically and narratively against the grain. If a Half-Orc isn't a meathead race, then what is it and why? In a way, the narrative regarding your character, and how they fit with their race, will always match your racial stats with your class/playstyle.
    Of course, that's assuming that you like stereotypes in your narrative. I do, as it implies that the world has built-in culture based on race (which isn't too different from our own), but I can see where someone might do otherwise.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-24 at 06:23 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin Rogue: Sadly, a big draw of Goblin, their Cunning Action light, is basically worthless as a rogue. This makes me sad that it's such a bad combination. I play AL so it's especially not worth using my +1 book for it, even though I like playing small and cute characters.

Kobold barbarian: What as a strength penalty and already gets easy advantage without using reckless attack?! This class. For real, -2 Str hurts and I wish kobolds were buffed by having the penalty removed.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Gnome + any race class. Annoying little buggers.

Any race without dakvision + rogue. I like my rogues to have darkvision (without depending on items, which can be lost).

Halforc vengeance paladin. Both seen and heard too many times of what essentially boils down to the same simple and boring character concept: A halforc with a grudge against orcs. Doesn't mean I would have to play it like that, but I have come to dislike this combination.
    Last edited by Corran; 2019-04-24 at 08:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    I hereby bestow upon you a magic sword, the Sword of Corran, which will henceforth be the only thing that can permanently destroy my withered undead hand and nose.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Halforc vengeance paladin. Both seen and heard too many times of what essentially boils down to the same simple and boring character concept: A halforc with a grudge against orcs. Doesn't mean I would have to play it like that, but I have come to dislike this combination.
    On that note, anything Warforged. I am neither interested in "beep boop I'm a robot" nor "beep boop I'm a robot who wants to feel love."
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

25. - Top - End - #25

Daemon

Aasimar Warlock. The celestial being born of a pure good entity just made a demonic pact with Hell.

Dwarf Druid. Not a whole lot of animals or foliage underground. Call Lightning is functionally useless.

Gnome anything. There's never a reason to use these guys. Just be an elf or half-elf for extra abilities.

Half-orc Bard. This is the epitome of slapstick comedy with the ugly giant being everyone's favorite pal.

Halfling Monk. Would never be able to stop laughing any time I did anything grappling related.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Tiefling Barbarian.
    But strangely, I've had a hankering to play a Halfling Barbarian Sailor (aka Viking) for a while now.

Dragonborn Sorcerer, even though they're as good as humans at it, ability score-wise.

Half-Orc Wizard, not even one that casts fist.

Mount Dwarf Druid, because wut? (If I did it would almost certainly be a Mountain Land Druid. Edit: or Underdark, on a seconds worth of reflection )

Also I still find it weird to play Dwarf or Halfling arcane caster, even after three editions of it being possible.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yakmala View Post
    Deep Gnome Abjuration Wizard: A race/class combo that is being picked solely to exploit a loophole in Arcane Ward. Sure, I could probably come up with a good backstory, but in the end, it's just there to mask that the character is a walking exploit.
    Mask my ass! A creative player has their character come to the same conclusion as them, and is exploiting the **** out of it because they found it works :P

28. - Top - End - #28

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Mask my ass! A creative player has their character come to the same conclusion as them, and is exploiting the **** out of it because they found it works :P
    Elminster does the same thing in every book ever. Even deep in hell and facing Asmodeus himself, the guy has more cheats than a Nintendo Power magazine.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

On that note, anything Warforged. I am neither interested in "beep boop I'm a robot" nor "beep boop I'm a robot who wants to feel love."
    Good thing warforged aren't "beep boop, I'm a robot" race, then.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

"BEEP BOOP, I AM A ROBOT FROM THE FUTURE. I HAVE COME TO TAKE AMERICAN JOBS."

In all seriousness, I will never play one thing. That is Human Fighter, due to the overabundance of em running around. And I like playing dragonborn rogues, Allows me to try to figure out ways to use the claws in a more precise way than just slashing and stabbing.

[EDIT]
    Of course if it's a ranger with a whip, I think Indiana Jones, or the Belmonts.
    Last edited by Marywn; 2019-04-24 at 11:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marywn View Post
    TIME FOR THESAURUS.COM!
    Consummate
    For a sufficiently sexy Fey patron, that might be the best word yet.
    Have Barbarian Bear Totem Centaur, who's being ridden by a Cavalier Centaur, who's being ridden by a Life Cleric Centaur, who's being ridden by a Goliath Monk, who's being ridden by a Gnomish Warlock.

HI-HO SILVER, AWAYYYYYYY~!