Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Fairy Tales of the Occident (closed!)

SALT CITY BECKONS!

Founded in 1854 and built upon a dry lakebed, Salt City is now a prospering community, 10,000 strong! Are you a colonist? Some 1000 miles from both Union and Imperial borders, Salt City is perfectly positioned for your push westward! A miner? The Golden Hills are a day’s ride away! A doctor? Salt City’s booming population means you’ll never be short of work! An entertainer? Our recently completed opera house is looking for you! Seeking adventure? Seeking fortune? Seeking a fresh start? Salt City has what you need!

"Great big nothing, that's what it is. Great big patch of dirt with nothing in it 'cept some shrubs. They say there's gold in the hills, but who's been able to get rich off the nuggets they've found so far? I guess they found a lot of salt, that's pretty good I guess. Say, you look like you're going to Salt City, right? Hah! Lot of hokey nonsense. Great big town in the middle of nowhere. Nothing going for it but it keeps pulling people in. Well, I guess I can't prod you that, I'm heading that way too after all. Train's gonna take us a quarter of the way there, then it's a month on horseback, or longer on wagon. Thighs ain't looking forward that that ride, no sir. Have you heard the rumors? Lotta crazy stuff that happens out in Plains. Cities that move and vanish like a mirage, steer the size of a house, dead that don't stay dead. Lotta hogwash brought on by the heat, I think, but a rancher found a horn as big as a man, so maybe there's some truth to it. Either way, I know a lotta people never make the trip, so that's all that concerns me. Ah, I'll worry about that tomorrow though. What's yer game, cards or dice?"

Hello! Welcome to my thread! A couple weeks back I volunteered to DM an Old West themed Pathfinder game (Original thread), and after taking the time to brew up a setting I reckoned it might generate more interest to go ahead and make a new thread. So, without further ado, the details:

The Big 16
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. What game system are you running?
    Pathfinder E6 with Spheres

2. What is the setting for the game?
    A Homebrew setting tentatively named the Land of the Setting Sun

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    4-5, maybe alternates depending on interest

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    OotS for IC and Dice rolls. Discord for OoC, chat, questions, etc.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 2

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    $100 (see System Mod #8)

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Any Paizo/Spheres class is fine. Synthesist banned. Traditional/Vancian casting uses Spherecasting instead. Additionally, since this game only goes to level 6, any archetype that can’t be normally stacked due to replacing an ability above level 8 can be stacked, assuming they don’t share any feature replacements before level 6 (i.e. Monk of the Lotus and Perfect Scholar normally can’t be stacked, but since the only feature they both replace is Tongue of Sun and Moon at level 17, they may be stacked for the purposes of this game).

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    See setting information for races. If you have a race that you really wanna play then please make a request with a good lore reason for it. I’ve left information on the Old World (and a lot of the New World) largely undeveloped for people to do with what they will. Keep in mind that a lot of the traditionally animal races have been altered to look more human in appearance.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    2 sets of 4d6b3 and pick one or 20 point buy.
    Max HP at first level, average thereafter
    See System Mod #7 for additional HP details

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    No Alignments! Using Paizo’s Loyalties system, see Homebrew Rules #6.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Knock yourself out.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    I’ll leave it up to the players if they want to roll in the Discord chat or the IC. In addition, spells and saves will function a little differently. Instead of a creature rolling a save versus the spell’s DC, Saves are calculated more like a flat AC (i.e. 10+save bonus), and spells are rolled as attacks, with caster level + casting modifier instead being treated like an attack bonus on a roll.
    Example: If a monster normally has a Fort of +5 and a wizard casts a spell that normally has a DC of 16, the wizard instead rolls 1d20+6 against the monster’s Fort DC of 15

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    See System Mods
    Also yes you may have two traits at first level, and may take a drawback to gain a third. I shouldn't have to say that I expect your traits and drawbacks to fit organically with your character and to roleplay them out if the need ever arises.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    I’m not gonna lie, background is very important. While I do have ideas for Narrative Arcs, I really wanna shape a good deal of the story around the characters themselves. I’m not necessarily looking for grimdark edge, but I would prefer some characters with actual motivations to drive them and baggage to hold them back that they can work through over the course of their arc. So, make it as long as you need to make it to fill that out. <3

That being said, the initial goal for all PCs should be to get to Salt City, but the specific details for why I'm leaving up to y'all.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Keeping the above in mind, I will say that your XP need not come entirely from shooting the other guy until they stop moving. Like, you certainly can do that, but remember that you aren’t knights in Medieval Europe and Japan. We have laws against that now. :P

In all seriousness though, roleplaying is my favorite part of roleplaying games, so, in the likely case that you do end up in a social situation, you might not need to roll the dice to win someone to your point of view.

As far as the campaign is concerned, I will be running it episodically, with each being a fairly self-contained story with a little bit of ongoing story. Think Bebop. Also, expect heavy Eastern and Gothic/Occult themes alongside the Old West

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    See #7 and System Mod #2 .

System Mods in Effect
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. E6/P6!
    Spoiler
    Show
    For those not in the know, E6 is a modification that halts all level progression after level 6. Afterwards, XP is spent towards milestones that grant an extra feat when you reach them.
    Additional Information can be found in the P6 codex: Here.
    Extra Note: Yes, non-core classes will get access to signature and epic feats suiting them when we reach that point

2. Spheres of Might and Power
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Pure Martial classes do not have to use Spheres if they don’t want to. However, I must require that all classes with a spell list please take the appropriate sphere archetype. In addition, all casting traditions have been changed to add either the Focus Casting, Material Casting+Skilled Casting (Alchemy or Calligraphy, in the case of ofudas), or the Diagram Magic drawback (player’s choice), which gives bonus spell points as normal. Those with the Focus Casting drawback may take the Bound Creature boon if they wish. Classes with the familiar or arcane bond class feature may treat their familiar or bonded object as a focus, although only those with the Arcane Bond class feature may select a weapon to be their focus. If you would like to play a class that doesn't have a regular Sphere archetype, then hmu and we can figure something out.
    • This is due to the nature of magic coming from your inner chi, where it must be
      1. Harnessed and channeled through an object of significance (Arcane Bond/Focus)
      2. Extracted from other living beings (Alchemy)
      3. Borrowed from an outside patron (Bound Creature/Familar/Diagrams/Ofudas)
    • A focus must be a handheld object. Holy symbols, wands, staves, musical instruments, and the like are all valid choices.
    • If a character would lose a spell point with no effect due to not possessing their focus or failing their Craft (Alchemy) check, they instead create a Wild Magic event, as per the Wild Magic rules here.
    • Casters with the Diagram Magic drawback may cast without drawing a diagram, but suffer from a 10% chance to create a wild magic event if they do so. Should a wild magic event occur as a result, any spell points used are lost without the intended effect. Should a wild magic event not occur, the chance for one to occur is increased by 5% for each successive spell cast, only resetting with 8 hours rest
    • Additionally, characters who take the Conjuration sphere must take the Caller Drawback. Conjuration users who take the Diagram Magic drawback also gain the Diagrams Advanced talent as a bonus talent.
    • Only those who’ve spend years in meditation honing their chi flow are able to unconsciously avoid this mental block and freely harness their own chi (People with ki pools lol).
    • Players may request custom traditions, however, all custom traditions must contain one (or more) of those three drawbacks.
    • Additionally, any class ability that is “modified” by a Sphere archetype to make it compatible with Spheres (i.e. Sphere Magus’ Spellstrike) in not considered as being modified for the purposes of archetype stacking. So, stack away!
    • Additionally, the Duelist Spheres Blooded Strike talent only applies to attacks made by melee weapons that deal slashing or piercing damage.

3. Elephant in the Room
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean this is just to be expected. Using the full ruleset: Here.
    The changes to Nonlethal damage only apply to melee weapons that deal bludgeoning damage. All characters are considered as having the Bludgeoner feat for the purposes of meeting prerequisites.

4. We’re All Slingers Now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    All classes have the choice to gain Amateur Gunslinger or Amateur Swashbuckler as a bonus feat at first level, as well as the “Run Like Hell” gunslinger dare. Alternatively, you may choose Amateur Investigator as your bonus feat instead. Grit/Panache/Inspiration pools gained through either feats are keyed off of your class’s practitioner or casting ability modifier.
    • The Amateur Gunslinger feat grants 1/2 DEX to the damage rolls of all ranged attacks made with firearms, rounded down. This does not stack with other effects that grant DEX as a bonus to firearm damage
    • Those who choose Amateur Swashbuckler may choose Opportune Parry and Riposte as their bonus deed.
    • Characters who start with or later gain a grit, panache, or inspiration pool as a class feature may trade this feat for the Extra Grit, Extra Panache, or Extra Inspiration feat as normal. All classes may pick up another dare as a regular feat, though Gunslingers and Swashbucklers may still pick them up as part of their bonus feats as normal.
    • Cavaliers and Samurai may apply the effects of their challenge with either ranged or melee attack rolls.
    • In addition, those who choose Amateur Swashbuckler as their bonus feat may pick up Cut from the Air as a regular feat starting at 3rd level, even if they do not meet the regular prerequisites.

5. Combat Stamina
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any class can pick up the Combat Stamina feat, Fighters gain it for free at 3rd level. Sphere talents with associated feats count as those feats for the purposes of Combat tricks

In addition, the following combat tricks are available to those who meet the prerequisites
    • Risky Strike (Combat): When using this feat, you can spend 2 stamina points to gain the benefits and the hindrances of that feat until the end of your turn, instead of until your next turn.
    • Defensive Stance (Combat): If you spend stamina points to raise an attack roll using the Combat Stamina feat’s benefits, ignore an amount of your Defensive Stance penalty equal to the number of stamina points you spent.
    • Deft Maneuvers (Combat): When you are the target of a combat maneuver affected by this feat (Trip, Steal, Reposition, Dirty Trick, Disarm) you can spend a number of stamina points up to your Strength or Dexterity bonus, whichever is greater. Your CMD against that maneuver attempt increases by that number.
    • Powerful Maneuvers (Combat): When you are the target of a combat maneuver affected by this feat (Hamstring, Bull Rush, Overrun, Sunder) you can spend a number of stamina points up to your Strength or Dexterity bonus, whichever is greater. Your CMD against that maneuver attempt increases by that number.
    • Unarmed Combatant (Combat): When you deal nonlethal damage with an unarmed strike, you can spend up to 5 stamina points to deal an amount of additional nonlethal damage equal to double the amount of stamina points you spent. Additionally, When you are the target of a grapple combat maneuver to initiate or maintain a grapple, you can spend a number of stamina points up to your Strength or Dexterity bonus, whichever is greater. Your CMD against that grapple attempt increases by that number.

6. Loyalties, Aura, and the Occultic Arts
    Spoiler
    Show
    We will be using the Remove Alignment Unchained rules, as well as the Occult Aura rules. I don’t know why I put these in the same section.
    • In the alignment space on your sheet, please write three loyalties that are important to your character, in order of greatest to least. These can be as specific or as broad as you would like, so long as they are not Good, Law, Evil, or Chaos. Consider using something like charity, hierarchy, self-interest, or equality, instead. Neutrality is acceptable, if boring. :P
    • Classes that gain Detect Evil or Detect Good as an SLA instead gain Detect Opposing Loyalties
    • Classes that gain Detect Alignment instead gain Detect Loyalties
    • Classes that determine the effect of channeled energy by their alignment instead choose whether they will channel positive or negative energy at 1st level, as a neutral cleric does.
    • Classes that gain Channel Energy may still choose Variant Channeling effects as normal.
    • Good and Evil Outsiders are now Empyreal and Abyssal outsiders. Lawful and Chaotic outsiders will be not appearing in this film, so keep that in mind when picking favored enemies
    • Classes with caster talent progression gain Psychic Sensitivity as a bonus feat. In addition, classes with access to occult skill unlocks may use them a number of times per day (or week) equal to ˝ of your ranks in the associated skill. This stacks with other feats that grant additional uses/day (i.e. Psychic Maestro or Empath.)

7. Wounds and Vigor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adapted from this Reddit Post
    I have decided to use an altered version of the Wounds and Vigor system, as well as the Wounds threshold system. While this does make combat more punishing, this is hopefully to encourage players to look for creative ways to solve problems, as opposed to simply whipping your gun out at every possible opportunity. You can still do that, just trust that it isn’t a healthy hobby. Additionally, I like the idea of positive energy not being an almighty cure all, as there would be no reason for medical science to advance otherwise if the Heal skill is suboptimal in every way.

If at any time you feel outgunned, never forget the better part of valor granted in Rule #4, and if that doesn’t work, you can always try laying down your arms. Bandits might be content to strip you of your valuables and leave you alone in the desert, but no one really wants to be the one to pull the trigger on a begging man

Vigor represents a character’s vitality and energy, and functions in all ways as normal HP does. Damage to a character’s Vigor pool does not indicate significant physical injury - scratches, bruises, and general fatigue are indications of a character at low or zero vigor. Similar to fatigue or exhaustion, Vigor damage can be easily recovered from a short rest (see below).
    • A character’s vigor pool is equal to half of their normal HP, rounded up.
    • Temporary HP, such as that provided by False Life or an Unchained Barbarian’s Rage, is added to a character’s vigor pool.
    • All incoming damage is dealt to a character’s Vigor pool. Once depleted, further damage (including spillover) is dealt to a character’s wound pool.
    • Non lethal damage is treated the same as lethal damage for the purposes of damaging vigor. Only once vigor is depleted does nonlethal damage begin to function normally
    • Vigor can be restored normally by healing magic.
    • A full 8 hour rest fully restores a PCs Vigor, as well as daily abilities as normal.
    • A 30-minute rest restores half of a PCs Vigor. A PC may benefit in this way from a number of “short rests” per day equal to their Constitution Modifier (minimum 0).

Wounds represent a character’s actual physical state of being. Damage to a character’s Wound pool indicates broken bones, life-threatening bleeding, or direct arrow impacts penetrating armor. Wound damage is much more difficult to heal, and taking too much wound damage results in crippling penalties. The most effective way to restore Wound damage is with the Heal skill immediately after a combat.
    • A PC’s Wound pool is equal to half their normal HP (rounded down). This pool of HP is then divided into two sections.
    • A character whose wound pool is below 100% and above 51% is Grazed, and suffers a –1 penalty on all attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks, as well as to AC and caster level.
    • A character whose wound pool is in the 1-50% bracket is Bloodied, and suffers a -2 penalty to the above values.
    • A character whose wound pool is below 0 falls unconscious, then dies at an amount of negative Wound equal to their Constitution score.

At 0 Wound, or at negative Wound but positive vigor, the PC is Disabled. In addition to the penalties suffered while Critical, a Disabled character is staggered and must make a DC 10 Constitution check at the end of their turn each round in order to maintain consciousness.
    • Any strenuous actions (moving more than half speed, making an attack roll, casting a spell) taken by the character while disabled deals 1 damage to the PC.
    • Once unconscious, the PC gains Bleed 1 and must make DC 15 Constitution checks to stabilize and remove that condition.
    • An unconscious PC may make another check to reawaken when receiving healing magic.
    • Negative Energy and Bleed effects deal damage directly to Wounds, bypassing Vigor entirely.
    • Harm’s effects are halved, but Inflict spells and negative energy channeling remain unchanged.
    • At GM discretion, other particularly dangerous sources of damage (such as a crushing wall trap or fall damage) might also deal damage directly to Wounds. Monsters will typically use a simplified version of this system, in which they gain the “Bloodied” condition at half hp. Most creatures will attempt to flee at this threshold rather than continue to fight (as should PCs!).
    • Damage taken while Dex is denied to AC is applied directly to Wounds. This is not the same as being flanked.

Restoring Wound Damage:
    • Wounds are more difficult to heal with magic than Vigor. Each die normally rolled as part of the healing effect instead restores 2 Wounds (with no static bonuses).
    • Heal and similar spells which restore a massive quantity of HP instead restore some combination of 10 Vigor and 2 Wound points per caster level. (43 vigor healing requires 5CL of spell effect - the extra “half” CL does not translate into 1 Wound healed.)
    • The “Treat Deadly Wounds” application of the Heal skill may be used to restore Wounds (DC 20 = 1d4/HD Wounds healed, DC 25 = 1d4/HD+ability modifier wounds healed). A character may benefit from this application once after every fight, but can not heal any more wounds than he or she sustained during the combat.
    • You may choose to reduce the time to Treat Deadly Wounds by one step for every 5 by which you increase the DC. DC 20 = 1 hour, DC 25 = 10 minutes, DC 30 = 1 minute, DC 35 = 1 round, etc. The DC to add your ability modifier to the check increases accordingly.
    • The Scholar’s Medical Training may also affect either Vigor or Wounds, but not both.
    • Fast Healing or Regeneration restores Wounds at a rate 10 times slower than it restores Vigor.
    • If a PC has Fast Healing 1, one minute of time would restore 10 points of vigor (ten rounds) and 1 point of wounds.

The modification to the Endurance feat (reduces the penalty of Wound Thresholds by 1, minimum 0) and the additional feat Twist the Knife (+1 hit/damage vs. bloodied foes) are also included in this rule set, as presented in the Wound Thresholds system (bottom of page) from Pathfinder Unchained.

8. Automatic Bonus Progression and Wealth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Copper pieces translate to Dollars, Dimes, Pennies, and Haypennies at a 1:1 ratio. Thus, a Revolver would be $40, which isn’t too far off from what it cost in 1900 (roughly $25-$35) That’s inflation for ya!
    Additionally, we will be using this simplified version of Automatic Bonus Progression. I prefer loot to be interesting and expand the things I can do, rather than just being a simple numbers game. ABP is something I like to have in every game, and while I haven’t used this version specifically before, it does seem a bit more streamlined than Paizo’s.

9. Skills
    Spoiler
    Show
    All classes gain a minimum of 4+INT skill ranks/level. If a class that normally has 2+INT ranks/level takes an archetype that would normally grant 4+INT (i.e. Fighter Skirmisher), that archetype instead grants 6+INT ranks/level.
    In addition, taking the Skill Focus feat grants the benefits of the Signature Skill feat for the associated skill. This is the age of public education, after all, and society as a whole is more learned than their Middle Age counterparts.
    We will be using background skills.

10. Fractional Saves and BAB

Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-05-19 at 02:24 PM.
    -~DM~-
    Fairy Tales of the Occident
    A narrative-focused weird west campaign with ghosts and samurai and stuff.
    My Art!
    Currently Playing
    Clover - Cayden's Cheerful Company (IC)
    Evelyn Kristeva - Exploration of Yrannia (IC)
    Kazik - Prologue to the End (IC)

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Fables of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

Races of the Occident

Spoiler
    Show
    Humans
    You know the drill, y’all know what humans are. They make up the ethnic majority in most of the Occident, and it is believed that all other races were created with humans at their core. Hence why the term “humanity” refers to all those two legged humanoid entities that aren’t plucked chickens. ‘Cept goblins, maybe.

Common Races among the Occidental Union

Dwarves
    Spoiler
    Show
    Among the first people to come to the Occident were the Northlanders, otherwise known as Dwarves. While once they were a brutish, savage nation of seafarers and pirates, today they are a noble race of merchants and innovators. For example, it was a dwarven joint stock venture with a merfolk nation that led to the creation of the first steamship to cross the Agoran sea. Dwarves are a shrewd bunch, but clever. The Northern Dwarven nations are not nations in the truest sense of the word, but are conglomerations between the most powerful companies and businesses, of which all citizens are members and employees of. Those who cannot make it in the fast-paced (some might say cutthroat) environs of modern business often turn their eyes westward, either to give themselves the chance to get away, or to give themselves space to start a new venture.
    Ability Score Modifiers: Dwarfs are rather stout and broad, making them sturdy, but not particularly flexible. They gain a +2 to CON, -2 to DEX, and +2 to a single mental ability score
    Size: Dwarves are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Type: Dwarves are humanoids with the dwarf subtype.
    Base Speed: (Slow and Steady) Dwarves have a base speed of 20 feet, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance.
    Languages: Dwarves begin play speaking Common and Dwarven. Dwarves with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
    • Hardy: Dwarves gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities.
    • Stability: Dwarves gain a +4 racial bonus to their Combat Maneuver Defense when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
    • Greed: Dwarves gain a +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks made to determine the price of non-magical goods that contain precious metals or gemstones.
    • Stoic Negotiator: Some dwarves use their unwavering stubbornness to get what they want in negotiations and other business matters. They gain a +2 racial bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, and Profession (merchant) checks. This racial trait replaces defensive training, hatred, and stonecunning.
    • Low-Light Vision: Dwarves have low-light vision allowing them to see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
    • Hatred: Dwarves gain a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against humanoid creatures of the orc and goblinoid subtypes because of their special training against these hated foes.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves are proficient with battleaxes, heavy picks, and warhammers, and treat any weapon with the word “dwarven” in its name as a martial weapon.

Merfolk
    Spoiler
    Show
    Merfolk vessels were the first to discover the new world about four centuries prior to today. A proud people that originate in the coastal waters of the Vadum Sea, their empires have spanned entire continents, and it is said that the basis for many Old World languages are based upon an old mer tongue. While their nations and city states have accomplished mighty deeds throughout the ages, today they are far more humble, as many costly wars, corruption, and mismanagement have left their economies devastated. As such, many have come to the new world to find opportunity, whether on the right, or the wrong side of the law. After all, who in the Occident can meet a merman on the street and not think of the powerful crime families that their people have birthed?

Merfolk look much like humans, with two legs and no gills, though they do tend towards barrel-chestedness due to their larger lung capacity. They tend to be rather swarthy, with occasional skin patterning, and their fingers and toes possess retractable membranes to aid their swimming. Finally, they are quite hairless, although this is easily remedied with wigs.
    There has been extensive history between merfolk and elves, so players may also choose to play an aquatic elf. Aquatic elves use this creature entry, replacing the human ability score with the elves’, and the skilled racial trait with the elven immunities and keen senses racial traits. Aquatic Elves count as humanoids with both the Elf and Merfolk subtype.
    Ability Score Modifiers: Merfolk gain a +2 racial bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation to represent their varied nature.
    Size: Merfolk are Medium creatures and thus have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Base Speed (Slow): Merfolk have a base speed of 20 feet. They have a swim speed of 30 feet.
    Type: Merfolk are humanoids with the merfolk subtype.
    Languages: Merfolk begin play speaking Common and Aquan. Merfolk with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Aboleth, Aklo, Draconic, Elven, and Sylvan. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
    • Skilled: Members of this race gain an additional skill rank at 1st level and one additional skill rank whenever they gain a level.
    • Low-Light Vision: Merfolk have low-light vision allowing them to see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
    • Take to the Water: A merperson can hold its breath 10 times longer than a human can, and gains a +2 bonus on Initiative checks and Reflex saving throws while swimming.

Goblins
    Spoiler
    Show
    Goblins, truly the terror of all mankind. For as long as history has been written, they have been lurking in our stories. They existed on the periphery, unable or unwilling to form a polite society, no matter how many adventurers and soldiers were sent to correct their behavior. And ah, they just bred so fast, no matter how many you exterminated, there were always more a few months later!

It was the dwarves, always industrious as they are, who had the idea to put them to work. Or, rather, they observed the idea from the Hanan policy on oni and realized the potential from there. Unlike the oni, goblins couldn’t be warriors, but they could be workers! So the nation and companies of the old world tried a new tack. Redouble your efforts to capture, and your investment will pay itself off. Soon, due to increased investments and improved hunting technology, the Old World finally triumphed, and there were no feral goblins left. But a new age for the little monsters had just begun! Miners, builders, farmers, laborers, almost infinite productivity at our fingertips. The Old World powers, in their benevolence, had succeeded at last in civilizing the savage.

These days, especially in the Occident, goblins are everywhere. It is said that one can’t walk into a coastal factory without tripping on a dozen indentured goblin workers. But, as so often happens, some have begun to ask tough questions. Is it really necessary? Is it humane? Has anyone asked the goblins how they feel? Due to questions like these, there have been national laws passed allowing for goblins to become free citizens, though these are rather difficult. Often they require a compassionate owner to waive their ownership, a reasonable wage to buy their own title, access to education to pass the citizenship test, or some combination of the three. Expert phrenologists have posited that such measures are pointless to the listless goblinfolk, but some small amount have been able to secure their freedom. Only time will tell what future this may bring.
    Ability Score Modifiers: Goblins are fast, but weak and unpleasant to be around. They gain +4 Dexterity, –2 Strength, and –2 Charisma.
    Type: Goblins are humanoids with the goblinoid subtype.
    Size: Goblins are Small creatures and thus gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
    Base Speed: Goblins are fast for their size, and have a base speed of 30 feet.
    Languages: Goblins begin play speaking Goblin. Goblins with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Gnoll, Gnome, Halfling, and Orc. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
    • Skilled: Goblins gain a +2 racial bonus on Stealth checks.
    • Crafty: Goblins gain a +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Perception, and Profession (miner) checks. Craft (trapmaking) and Stealth are always class skills for a goblin
    • Fast Movement: Goblins gain a +10 foot bonus to their base speed (this is already added to their Base Speed above.)
    • Darkvision: Goblins see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.

Elves
    Spoiler
    Show
    Situated in the southern desert, across the Vadum Sea, are the Elves. To some, they are a warrior society, while to others they are a learned society, of intellectuals and scholars. In truth, aside from a few difference in faith and customs, there is little difference separating our modern society and theirs, aside from a long history of conflict between the peoples.
    Ability Score Modifiers: Elves are nimble, both in body and mind, but their form is frail. They gain +2 Dexterity,–2 Constitution, and +2 to a single mental ability score
    Size: Elves are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Type: Elves are Humanoids with the elf subtype.
    Base Speed: Elves have a base speed of 30 feet.
    Languages: Elves begin play speaking Common and Elven. Elves with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Celestial, Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
    • Elven Immunities: Elves are immune to magic sleep effects and gain a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects.
    • Keen Senses: Elves receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.
    • Elven Magic: Elves receive a +2 racial bonus on caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance. In addition, elves receive a +2 racial bonus on Spellcraft skill checks made to identify the properties of magic items.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Elves are proficient with longbows (including composite longbows), falchions, scimitars, and two-handed firearms, and treat any weapon with the word “elven” in its name as a martial weapon.
    • Low-Light Vision: Elves can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.

Common Races among the Hanan Colonies

Tengu
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tall, red faced, and steely eyed, the Tengu are the famed and feared swordsmen of the Divine Empire of Hana. Having originated in the northern Hanan mountains, they were the first race to ally with the humans of the then burgeoning nation, first offering their services as imperial bodyguards. It is lore long forgotten, regarding who made first contact, but their talent proved itself quickly, and they soon gained equal status among its citizenry. Some even achieved the status of landed nobility, earning a House title in their own right. Despite being referred to as bird people, tengu look much like humans, but much taller, with scaly red skin and a crest of feathers over and around their shoulders and back. And, of course, their iconic noses, which are quite often the butt of jokes by non-empire citizens, but never made to their face.

Tengu tend to have an obsession with honor, and most are schooled in the ways of bushido whether or not they themselves are samurai.
    Ability Score Racial Traits: Tengus are tall and mighty, but rather frail due to their bone structure. They gain +2 STR, -2 CON, and +2 to a single mental ability score
    Type: Tengus are humanoids with the tengu subtype.
    Size: Tengus are Medium creatures and receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Speed: Tengus have a base speed of 30 feet.
    Languages: Tengus begin play speaking Common and Tengu. Tengus with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except for secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
    • Steely Eyed: Tengus gain a +2 racial bonus on Perception and Intimidate checks.
    • Gifted Linguist: Tengus gain a +4 racial bonus on Linguistics checks, and learn 2 languages each time they gain a rank in Linguistics rather than 1 language.
    • Swordtrained: Tengus are trained from birth in swordplay, and as a result are automatically proficient with sword-like weapons (including bastard swords, daggers, elven curve blades, falchions, greatswords, kukris, longswords, punching daggers, rapiers, scimitars, short swords, and two-bladed swords).
    • Senses: Tengus have low-light vision allowing them to see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
    • Prey Sense: Tengus noses are well suited to tracking down their prey. While their sense of smell isn’t as keen as that of other species, it is particularly attuned to the scent of injuries or death. Tengus with this racial trait have a limited scent ability, which only functions for corpses and wounded creatures (creatures that have lost hit points).

Oni
    Spoiler
    Show
    Known as the brutal berserkers of the Empire, oni used to make up a wide margin of their elite soldiers. In the past, oni were regarded as lazy, brutish louts that terrorized the people of the Empire, until they were captured to a man and pressed into military service. Such was their existence until the reign of the last emperor, who freed them from their required service on religious grounds. Since then, the oni people have faced an identity crisis of sorts. Having been military men for generations they found themselves unable to effectively integrate into modern Empire Society. Many simply revolunteered for military service, but others were decidedly more stubborn than that. Some have become entertainers, plying their abnormal strength as noble sumo. Others have gone into the mountains, attempting to achieve enlightenment as shugenjo. Still others have cme west to the colonies, attempting to find work that suits their unique skills.

Oni are rather stocky as dwarves are, though height-wise they are closer to that of an average human. Their hair tends to sprout out as a lion’s mane, and tends to be pure black or stark white, while their skin tend to be unique shades of red, green, or blue. They possess a varying number of horns, ranging anywhere from one to seven, and tend to keep their prized clubs close at hand. Oni tend to love games of all stripes, though one should be wary of challenging them, since they are known to be extraordinarily lucky.
    Ability Score Modifiers: Oni are brutish and simple, though not without their cleverness. They gain +4 Strength, –2 Intelligence, and –2 Charisma.
    Type: Oni are humanoids with the orc subtype.
    Size: Oni are Medium creatures and thus have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Base Speed: Oni have a base speed of 30 feet.
    Languages: Oni begin play speaking Common and Oni. Oni with high Intelligence scores can chose from the following: Dwarven, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, Undercommon. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
    • Sneaky: Oni gain a +2 racial bonus on Stealth checks
    • Ferocity: Oni possess the ferocity ability which allows them to remain conscious and continue fighting even if their hit point totals fall below 0. Oni are still staggered at 0 hit points or lower and lose 1 hit point each round as normal.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Oni are always proficient with tetsubo, and treat any weapon with the word “orc” in its name as a martial weapon.
    • Low Light Vision: Oni can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
    • Oni Luck: Oni are innately lucky. Three times per day, an oni can gain a +2 luck bonus on an ability check, attack roll, saving throw, or skill check. If halflings choose to use the ability before they make the roll or check, they gain the full +2 bonus; if they choose to do so afterward, they only gain a +1 bonus. Using oni luck in this way is not an action.
    • Light Sensitivity: Oni are dazzled in areas of bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.

Kitsune
    Spoiler
    Show
    They say the kitsune came up from the south long ago, born from a god of wisdom, a great beast of nine tails. Of course, kitsune themselves tend to be of a boastful sort, so this can be taken with a grain of salt. For much of the empire’s history, much in the same way as the oni, the mischievous, vulpine kitsune were looked down upon throughout most of the empire. They were believed to be cursebringers, and so it was not frowned upon to actively hunt them, especially for a chance to get their tails, which it is believed are highly magical. However, it seems that whatever god birthed them truly was a wise one, for they seemingly granted kitsune the miraculous ability to change their face at will. Thus, truly catching kitsune proved impossible, and although the Empire’s official policy was one of no tolerance, few members of their clan were ever successfully hunted, and none within the decades leading up to the eventual repeal of this policy by the last emperor. Thus, kitsune were officially welcomed back into the fold, but in truth, they had already made themselves quite welcome a long time ago. That being said, almost none have outed themselves for what the are, for while officially policy may be changed overnight, cultivated attitudes may take some more time to adjust.

Kitsune generally look just like humans, as they rarely show off their true face except in times of duress. However, there are two ways to potentially recognize a kitsune:
    Their eyes tend to be slanted at a more extreme angle than most, which can be hard to discern without a basis to judge off of, but their irises are almost always amber in hue as well.
    Their tails shrink when they transform, but do not vanish entirely. Thus, kitsune tend to wear baggy clothing to help keep them concealed. Of course, this, too, can be hard to discern since most peasants of the empire tend to wear baggy clothing as well.
    Ability Score Modifiers: Kitsune are agile and companionable, but tend to be physically weak. They gain +2 Dexterity, –2 Strength, and +2 to a single mental ability score
    Size: Kitsune are Medium creatures and thus have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Type: Kitsune are humanoids with the kitsune and shapechanger subtypes.
    Base Speed: Kitsune have a base speed of 30 feet.
    Languages: Kitsune begin play speaking Common and Sylvan. Kitsune with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: any human language, Aklo, Celestial, Elven, Gnome, and Tengu. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
    • Agile (Ex): Kitsune receive a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics checks.
    • Change Shape (Su): A kitsune can assume the appearance of a specific single human form of the same sex. The kitsune always takes this specific form when she uses this ability. A kitsune in human form cannot use her bite attack, but gains a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to appear human. Changing shape is a standard action. This ability otherwise functions as alter self, except that the kitsune does not adjust her ability scores and can remain in this form indefinitely.
    • Kitsune Magic (Ex/Sp): Kitsune add +1 to the DC of any saving throws against enchantment spells that they cast. Kitsune with a Charisma score of 11 or higher gain the following spell-like ability: 3/day—dancing lights (caster level equals the kitsune’s level).
    • Natural Weapons (Ex) In her natural form, a kitsune has a bite attack that deals 1d4 points of damage.
    • Low-Light Vision: Kitsune can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.

Wayang
    Spoiler
    Show
    Discovered on the island of Waya between the lands of Hana and the Occident, the Wayang are a curious race of small humanoids, curious by which there is no comprehensive means to summarize their description, though we shall discuss that at greater length later. They are a deeply spiritual people, highly traditional in their worship of their pagan goddess, the Gentle Lady. Like many eastern faiths, they, too, believed in rebirth, though, unlike other eastern people, seem to have a stronger basis for this faith, as it seems that they actually have a stronger connection to their past lives. Whether this is actually due to divine blessing or simply a quirk of biology remains to be seen, but it doesn’t change their general perception of spookiness by those that have encountered them. However, being that their island is the exclusive home of a number of spices, incorporation into the Empire was deemed imperative. Thus, the wayang have been a colony of the empire for the last three centuries since their discovery, and only full citizens within the last century. They are indeed humanoid, with the same number of features that similar humanoids have, and they are quite small, rarely rising above 3 feet. However, the exact size and shape of these features vary as widely as their population. For example, their eyes can be inordinately large or small, wide or narrow, slanted or flat, high on their face or equally as low. The same can also be said for their noses, their ears, their mouths, their arms, and their legs.
    Ability Score Modifiers: Wayang are small and nimble, but their narrow musculature leaves them quite fragile. They gain +2 DEX, -2 CON, and +2 to a single mental ability score
    Type: Wayangs are humanoids with the goblinoid subtype.
    Size: Wayangs are Small creatures and thus gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty on their CMB and to CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
    Base Speed: Wayangs have a base speed of 20 feet.
    Languages: Wayangs begin play speaking Common and Wayang. Wayangs with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: any human language, Abyssal, Aklo, Draconic, Goblin, Infernal, Nagaji, Samsaran, and Tengu. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
    • Shadow Resistance: Wayangs get a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells of the shadow subschool.
    • Shards of the Past (Ex): A wayang’s past lives grant her bonuses on two particular skills. A wayang chooses two skills—she gains a +2 racial bonus on both of these skills, and they are treated as class skills regardless of what class she actually takes.
    • Shadow Magic: Wayangs add +1 to the DC of any saving throws against spells of the shadow subschool that they cast. Wayangs with a Charisma score of 11 or higher also gain the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—ghost sound, pass without trace, and ventriloquism. The caster level for these effects is equal to the wayang’s level. The DC for these spells is equal to 10 + the spell’s level + the wayang’s Charisma modifier.
    • Darkvision: Wayangs can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
    • Light and Dark (Su): Once per day as an immediate action, a wayang can treat positive and negative energy effects as if she were an undead creature, taking damage from positive energy and healing damage from negative energy. This ability lasts for 1 minute once activated.

Magic in the Occident
    Spoiler
    Show
    Magic is widely acknowledged and in many cases accepted. Holy men can perform miracles, that’s what makes them holy in the eyes of the masses. Most do not question this, content not to think about it too much. Others are less satisfied with that answer, though study into the nature of magic almost always receive pushback, as study into the nature of magic almost invariably delves into the study of the soul, and the soul is one territory most still agree is where none but the Lord Authority himself should tread. Still, some people (primarily Sophists of the Enlightened Truth), attempt to delve into this question in secrecy, and their work has produced some remarkable results.

It is believed by some scholars that all creatures and beings possess a hidden secondary circulation system. What Easterners refer to as chi, prana, or ki flows through secret passages throughout the body, also known as chakras. It takes a remarkably arduous amount of labor and focus to be able to gain full control and channel your ki into performing miraculous feats, as some monks in the east have been able to do, but it is widely acknowledged that one can take a shortcut of sorts to this: By attuning to an object of major significance, one can more readily channel heir ki into their magical talents. Just as a hammer is an extension of the arm to drive a nail, the focus is an extension of the chakras to create remarkable effects. Such is the most widely accepted theory among scholars, though scholars make up a very small fraction of society, so few in the Western regions truly recognize this. And, while it is not inherently without merit, one must also consider that physical evidence for the chakras have never been found either. So, much of this discussion is little more than conjecture.

One more frowned upon method to perform magical acts is to make a pact with a magical creature or being. Whether terrestrial, empyreal, or abyssal, all can aid one in awakening their latent enrgies, though, like any contract, it is expected that they won’t do such for free.

Magic in the Union and Old World
    Spoiler
    Show
    Magic has had a tenuous relationship with the New Worlders. On the one hand, Sanctioned magic, that is to say, the acts and miracles of priests and holy men, are widely recognized by most citizens of the Union. One need not carry papers authenticating their status as a priest (though it certainly helps); merely by being outspokenly pious and wise is often enough to allow one to be recognized as such.

On the other hand With the threat of witches, cryptids, and demonic entities being very much a real danger to early colonists, and many current frontiersmen, Unsanctioned Magic (that is, magic that is not performed by a priest or devotee of the Authority) is frowned upon at best, and feared at worst. For those that practice Unsanctioned magic, great care must be taken to not be discovered, or otherwise disguise their talents as a Sanctioned magician or miracle worker. Some will carry false holy symbols, others fake identities. Some will practice their Unsanctioned talents openly, such as spirit mediums and fortunetellers, but claim that their abilities come from on high. This is often enough to fool most people, though some discerning eyes may see through such charlatanry. Some will join the Church of Enlightened Truth, who secretly have open arms to Unsanctioned practitioners, though such policies are slowly becoming more recognized as time progresses, and as that institution itself becomes subject to increased scrutiny and fear even that may not remain an avenue for long.

The two labels are not in reference to any legal policy of men and earth, although some territories have indeed made the latter expressly illegal. Rather, it is believed that Sanctioned magic is petitioned directly from the powers of the Lord Authority himself, while Unsanctioned magic delves into pathways not approved for humanity’s use. The worst one can be labeled is a witch. While witchcraft (the act of summoning and/or making pacts with abyssal beings) in the Old World is known to be separate from general Unsanctioned magic, the distinction is lost to the average Union citizen. Without a plausible alibi, it is likely that discovery can lead to swift retribution. One must take care, or be ready to beat a hasty retreat.

Magic Items in the Union
    Like one should take care when utilizing Unsanctioned talents, so too should one take care when utilizing magic items. Even if one if not a practitioner of magic of any variety, many are not trained to recognize the distinction between the two. But, again, if one is outspokenly pious and knowledgeable in the laws of the Lord Authority, those same many will likely believe their authenticity as a Sanctioned magician, and safely look the other way.

Magic in the Empire
    Spoiler
    Show
    As mentioned earlier, the most widely acknowledged theory on the nature of magic among Western scholars comes from the cultural and religious beliefs from the East, so it is perhaps to be expected that Easterners are generally more lenient about magical practices than their Western counterparts. The most widely practiced tradition among Eastern priests and other spellcasters is through the creation of an Ofuda, that is, a scroll or paper tag upon which the caster writes a prayer and attaches to a subject to invoke miracles. Most often these are places around a home to ward away evil spirits, though they truly can have as many functions as one can think for them.

The art of alchemy, too, was born in the East, although it is by no means exclusive to that region, having reached the Old World many centuries back during the Enlightenment era. Alchemists, or Natural Philosophers tend to take a more scientific approach to their magical practices, not worrying about generating their own ki, but simply taking it from creatures and the environment and mixing them with various natural compounds. Alchemy is also met with some disdain by Union citizens, but if one integrates themselves well enough, it’s really not easy to distinguish between it and other forms of medicine, no?

There is one area that is strictly taboo in Eastern practices: the art of necromancy. Ghosts, simply, are terrifying the the average Easterner, much in the same way that devils are to those of the West. Such lost souls who escaped the cycle of reincarnation are pitiable, and should be deposed of with haste to return them to the great cycle. Thus, the act of binding and utilizing the souls and bodies of the dead is considered the highest of sins. This is an especially unfortunate policy for the wayang, whose view of death is wildly different from their fellow Imperial citizens and the East at large, meaning that many of their old cultural practices, which could themselves be described as necromantic in nature, are stictly forbidden and regulated by the wayang’s occupiers.

Magic of the Plainsmen
    Spoiler
    Show
    As with their faiths, there are as many magical traditions among the Plainsmen as there are tribes in the Occident. Most often these take the forms of communal tribal rituals led by a shaman or medicine man, and often invoke spirits of nature or their ancestors. Thus, it is no surprise that many Unionists view their practices as witchcraft, and many Imperials through a similar lens.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-04-29 at 11:42 PM.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

3. - Top - End - #3

Factions of the Occident

Spoiler
    Show
    The Union
    The Union, as it’s often referred to, is a collection of semi-autonomous states on the Eastern Coast of the Occident. Each territory was originally a colony of one of the many Old World empires, but each in turn agreed to band together for a variety reasons, rebelling against their imperial masters. The Union acquired a great deal of territory recently after a war with the Hana Empire, who had established a number of colonies far to the south yet had expanded aggressively northward. They are an industrialized society, and their rail system is the pride of the world, though the frontier is a different story. All gameplay will take place in what is effectively Union lands, though highly undeveloped and largely unincorporated, so they will maintain a constant presence.
    Subfactions of The Union
    Stockton Private Detective Services
    Have an issue you need solved? Have a secret you need kept? The Stockton Firm has an office in every major township, and their agents are on standby to keep your ship sailing smoothly. After all, resources are stretched to thin for the government to invest in public peacekeeping services, so why not spurge for private hands?

-More to Be Revealed-

The Empire
    The Divine Empire of Hana is located far across the sea, but they have a number of colonies situated along the southern coastline. While not as old a presence on the Occident (their oldest colony here having only been founded a century ago), they had appeared to be positioning themselves as the foremost power in the mainland, until a decade long war with the Union drove them back. Since then, they have maintained an uneasy truce with the burgeoning upstarts, undoubtedly looking to regain the land they lost, but until then have opened up trade ties with various towns and factions in the territories. Thus, it is not uncommon to still find traders and former imperial citizens throughout the hinterlands, though they are not viewed without some level of suspicion.
    Subfactions of the Empire
    Kaeru Clan

While this clan doesn’t officially exist, many are familiar with the legends of strange covert agents that supposedly hail from it. These agents are allegedly tied with a number of extrajudicial and opportunistic assassinations that alway seem to benefit the Empire at large. But these are simply rumors; were every high-profile disappearance throughout the Union due to the actions of this one organization, surely they would be too large to stay covert forever, right?

-More to Be Revealed-

The Federation of Indigenous Tribes
    While nowhere near as powerful as the two states listed above, the Tribal Federation must be made note of. Made up of a number of indigenous Plainsmen, the Federation was founded a number of decades ago, in response to further encroachment on their territory. However, due to a lack of technology and numbers, they have only faced defeats, and have only been pushed back further from their native homelands. At this point, they’d be desperate for anyone’s help, yet they never fail to maintain an air of dignity about them. Perhaps they have forseen their fate, and made peace with it, or, perhaps they know something we don’t.
    Subfactions of the Tribal Federation
    -More to be revealed-

Independent Factions
    Blaine Academy
    Witchcraft is highly frowned upon in Union territories, and even illegal in most parts, as is worship of the old pagan gods. Thus, practitioners and itinerants tend to stay underground, outside the conventions of modern society. But, for a number of years now, rumors have been growing of a school to raise new generations of witches, somewhere out in the hinterlands. It’s even rumored that the always secretive Church of Enlightened Truth maintains some ties to the academy, though this is obviously unproven. Ah, but what some Justiciars wouldn’t give to find it, and bring those pagans to the light.

Kasimir’s Gang
    While there are goblin liberation parties within the Union seeking liberation for the peoples, none are more radical than Grigory Kasimir’s gang of goblin nationalists and outlaws. Responsible for a number of robberies, bombings, and ransoming, it is estimated that the band numbers in the dozens now, and possibly higher. Somehow they always manage to get away, often with more members than they started with

-More to Be Revealed-

Keep in mind that this is a small handful of possible groups that you could be allied with or against. Feel free to make up your own if you need to!

Faiths of the Occident

Spoiler
    Show
    Old World Faiths
    Cyrism and its Denominations
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perhaps the most influential faith in the West is that of Cyrism. Cyrism is a monotheistic religion, believing in one ultimate divinity known only as the Authority. The Authority laid down his creed long ago, which was recorded in the Book of the Word, which was carried from the East by his first servant, Cyrus. Cyrus was a gallant and noble knight and smith, and sought to expel the pagan entities and unify the Old World tribes under one banner. While he never succeeded in uniting the tribes under one nation, legend of his gallant martyrdom eventually spread across the continent with the servants that took up the Book in his place.

In time, Cyrus was to become viewed not as a man, but as the Authority’s own avatar on Earth, come to personally correct the evils of man, and he was not to be the last. Over the course of history and over each generation, numerous men of vast talent and charisma have been born and made their mark upon the world in one way or another; These men are often canonized each as another rebirth of the Authority himself, though sometimes appearances never quite make it past debate, and remain local martyrs only.

While there is one High Church of the Authority, currently led by Pontiff Gabriel, it has been divided numerous times over the years, sometimes by canonized avatars, sometimes by disagreements and schisms. While by no means a complete list, the following are denominations that are most widely practiced in the land of Occident.

(In addition to the inquisitions listed below, followers of any denomination have access to the Black Powder, Conversion, Final Rest, Heresy, Spellkiller, True Death, and Zeal inquisitions in place of the deities normally granted inquisitions). It should also be noted that each Cyrist Church can be considered an Independent Faction in its own right.

Church of the Doom
    Followers: Eschatologists
    Domains: Chaos, Madness, Void, Destruction, Erosion
    Subdomains: Entropy, Nightmare, Truth, Isolation, Catastrophe
    Inquisitions: Clandestine, Secrets, Oblivion
    While many sects acknowledge is, and many preach about and await it, few obsess about the final chapter of the Book than the Eschatologists of the Church of the Doom. Many know their most vocal segments, the Doomsayers, but few recognize the signs that they leave one another in broad daylight, or otherwise confuse them for common hobo signs. Still, despite their disorganization, little remains known about this nihilistic sect.

Church of Gentle Communion
    Followers: Holists
    Domains: Healing, Community, Nobility, Protection, Glory
    Subdomains: Medicine, Cooperation, Martyr, Purity, Honor
    Inquisitions: Recovery, Persistence, Truth
    What used to be the most numerous among the sects, the Church of Gentle Communion has decreased in popularity, as the Church of Fair Fortune has wooed many of its practitioners away from their tight-knit communities.
    Holists, called such for their holistic belief that all humanity and its many forms are one with the authority and each other, generally dwell in small pacifistic farming communities where resources and goals are shared collectively. They generally don’t believe in money, and self sacrifice is the pinnacle of virtues for them. However, while their farming collectives have been on the decline, their philosophy is not dead yet, and in some ways is slowly evolving to better suit the times, as the city dwellers have begun to rediscover their philosophy. Sounds like work for the Stockton Company.

Church of Inevitable Damnation
    Followers: Justicians
    Domains: Destruction, Fire, Death, Repose, Order
    Subdomains: Hatred, Ash, Psychopomp, Souls, Judgment
    Inquisitions: Anger, Banishment, Justice, Imprisonment, True Death
    We’re all sinners at heart, and none know that more so than the spooky followers of Inevitable Damnation. But, while humanity is flawed and imperfect, they are still loved by the Authority, and thus Justicians make it their duty to stay vigilant in the face of moral decay. This sect is militant, more so, even, than the Just Crusade from which it split two centuries prior. The name the followers give themselves is not ironic, for they truly believe themselves to be the more righteous of the two. Because of this, there are few to no lay Justicians; their order is a devoted lot of exorcists, devil hunters, and lawmen. Keep on your toes when entering a town bearing the symbol of Damnation.

Church of Just Crusade
    Followers: Crusadists
    Domains: War, Strength, Glory, Travel, Nobility
    Subdomain: Tactics, Resolve, Ferocity, Heroism, Honor
    Inquisitions: Valor, Tactics, Chivalry
    The Authority loves us all, and guides humanity with a kind word and a stern hand. The Church of the Just Crusade has, since its foundation, strived to be that hand. They are a warrior faith, and many well known knights throughout history have counted themselves among their number. But of course, not only do warriors find themselves among their numbers, but the lay people as well, finding comfort in the message of strength that it brings. It still remains popular among the older families of the Old World aristocracy, but their numbers have diminished in recent years as the age of crusaders has ended in light of the age of secularism, and as those old families’ places have become uprooted and replaced by new families following the Doctrine of Fair Fortune. Still, there is a certain allure still to chivalry that cannot be denied, and so the Cruadists continue on in their old-fashioned ways.

Church of Cleansing Reformation
    Followers: Deliverists
    Domains: Fire, Sun, Protection, Repose, Healing
    Subdomains: Revelation, Light, Purity, Souls, Restoration
    Inquisitions: Redemption, Illumination, Fervor
    If there was to be a middle ground between the pacifistic Holists and the militant Justicians, the Redemptionists of Cleansing Reformation would probably be it. If there could be one means to best describe their beliefs, it would simply be that, as children of the Authority, all souls can be redeemed, and all can be delivered from evil. Deliverists tend to be very common throughout the new world, as their creed tends to be very inclusive. Of some, anyway. Vermin don’t possess true souls, after all.

Church of the Divine Garden
    Followers: Gardeners
    Domains: Earth, Plant, Animal, Water, Liberation
    Subdomains: Growth, Fur, Insect, Rivers, Revolution
    Inquisitions: Clandestine, Persistence, Sedition
    Perhaps the youngest denomination, and undoubtedly the smallest, are the firebrand Gardeners of the Divine Garden. What could only be an Occident creation, the creed of the Divine Garden has blended influences from the faiths of the Kandinan Empire as well as the animist philosophies of the plainsmen. Viewing industry as a plague, slowly making ill the Authority’s greatest creation. The Gardeners wish for a return to nature, as Earth is a divine garden, and are more than willing to use less than orthodox means to get their point across.

Church of Loving Salvation
    Followers: Salvationists
    Domains: Liberation, Empyrean, Charm, Healing, Luck
    Subdomains: Freedom, Redemption, Love, Captivation, Fate
    Inquisitions: Redemption, Seduction, Recovery
    Like the Deliverists, the Salvationists believes that the Authority loves us. That’s the theme here. I dunno where else I was going with this. It's Free Real Estate

Church of Enlightened Truth
    Followers: Sophists
    Domains: Healing, Magic, Knowledge, Rune, Madness
    Subdomains: Medicine, Alchemy, Education, Language, Truth
    Inquisitions: Illumination, Secrets, Revelation
    Perhaps the fourth youngest denomination on the continent, the Sophists of the Enlightened Truth are looked upon with some suspicion. Granted, not to the same degree one would regard the Eschatologists, but the notion isn’t entirely unfounded either. Really, one could consider them almost sister faiths, since they each broke off from the Church of Pious Contemplation at different points. They, like the Contemplationists, are a rather insular group, sharing secrets and projects among one another, though they perform humanitarian acts as well. Some of the greatest doctors of recent memory have claimed loyalty to this denomination. The Sophists believe that all knowledge was made to be obtained for the good of humanity, or else it would not have been left upon the Earth. It is not uncommon, then, to find devilbinders and those taking more displeasurable paths to progress in their ranks, though this, too, is often kept highly secret.

Church of Pious Contemplation
    Followers: Contemplationists
    Domains: Knowledge, Community, Order, Rune, Protection
    Subdomains: Memory, Home, Legislation, Wards, Solitude
    Inquisitions: Fate, Excommunication, Reformation
    One of the older sects of the Church, the Contemplationists were long ago inspired by practices the Eastern faiths, and sought to emulate many of them. They embraced knowledge, and learning, as well as meditation and introspection. Thus, it was the monasteries of Pious Contemplation that acted as record keepers, preserving and maintaining many of the old texts and histories as the old age of enlightenment gave way to an age of darkness and savagery, keeping them until such a time when reason once again regained its grip on humanity

Church of the Good Sanctuary
    Followers: Firmamentalists
    Domains: Air, Weather, Void (Stars), Empyrean, Luck
    Subdomains: Cloud, Seasons, Stars, Fate, Archon, Azata, Agathion
    Inquisitions: Fate, Revelation, Oblivion
    One of the more mystical branches of the Church, the Firmamentalists of the Good Sanctuary are made up primarily of astrologers and soothsayers, believing that, as the night sky is rigid, so too is fate. All that will be will be, and thus can be divined from the windows in the Firmament left by the Authority and his divine servants.

Church of Fair Fortune
    Followers: Meyerites
    Domains: Travel, Luck, Artifice, Rune, Nobility
    Subdomains: Trade, Industry, Legislation, Aristocracy, Hubris
    Inquisitions: Politics, Recovery, Sedition
    Founded by Ezra Meyer during the Age of Reason, the Meyerites of Fair Fortune are a rather young sect as well, though they have grown immensely, especially among the wealthier residents of the Occident, and even more especially among the dwarves. Their creed is simple: That the Authority helps those that help themselves, by granting wealth and power to those who curry his favor and follow his teachings best. Those who dwell in poverty do so because they simply haven’t put in the effort to rise above their current stations. Charity is all well and good, but if we each focused upon bettering ourselves, wouldn’t humanity as a whole benefit more?

Church of the Father’s Forge
    Followers: Smithites
    Domains: Artifice, Sun, Earth, War, Magic
    Subdomains: Toil, Day, Metal, Blood, Alchemy
    The Lord Authority was a blacksmith originally, and the discovery that blood is made from iron is proof that we are his creations. Of course, the Smithites of the Father’s Forge didn’t need any proof to justify their beliefs, but it is comforting nonetheless.

Tamal and its Branches
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Elves believe in the authority as well, though certainly not in the same way. While they recognize the abilities of the canonized avatars, they do not recognize their canonization. Rather, the followers of Tamal believe that each is simply a great man and cleric, and not a unique aspect of the Authority. It is understandable, then, that there have been many tensions between the two faiths in the past. In fact, there is little surprise how many potential avatars that have come from the East that have yet to see canonization.
    Tamal is divided into two main branches, Shamsa and Qamari.

Shamsa
    Domains: Sun, Glory, Strength, Healing, Fire
    Subdomains: Day, Honor, Ferocity, Self-Realization, Medicine
    Inquisitions: Chivalry. Fervor, Valor
    The first and largest branch of Tamal are the Ahl-a-Shams, or Shamsa People. They believe in the Authority as well, though they do not believe that Cyrus was the corporeal manifestation of the Authority, instead positing that Cyrus only rose to the seat of divinity after his death.

Qamari
    Domains: Darkness, Void, Water, Protection, Magic
    Subdomains: Night, Moon, Stars, Ocean, Defense
    Inquisitions: Clandestine, Secrets, Fate
    One aspect of the Authority not mentioned yet is that, while the Authority embodies the sun, it is believed that the moon represents the mother of the authority, though few pay her more than passing acknowledgement. This is not true for the Ahl-a-Qamar, or Qamari people, who believe that a mother who was capable of bringing about a figure as great as the Authority must be great herself, and thus worship her in tandem and as equal to the creator of all. However, were this the only definitive trait of their faith, they might not have split from their sister branch at all. For, while the Shamsa people acknowledge the divinity of Cyrus, the Qamari people do not. A great man, they will agree, but not a god in his own right.

Faith of the Four Kings and other Eastern Faiths
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the Far East, there is another faith that is unrelated to Cyrism, though that too is not without some debate. This is the faith of the Four Kings, who were so great in life that they ascended to the highest heavens to keep watch upon and guide the mortals below. Many of the Eastern faiths refer to them by different names and give them differing attributes, but there are always similarities. Many Eastern faiths include their own traditional gods as well, though the Four Kings are upheld most highly. Another common belief are the ideas of karma and reincarnation, that only through immense sacrifice and introspection can one rise above their current station.

In addition to the domains listed below, followers of any of the Four Kings may also add the Empyrean Domain and its subdomains, as well as the Rune Domain and Wards subdomain to their possible domain lists, due to the nature of the Kings being intrinsically linked to the sky, and their magic performed through writing prayer scrolls.

He of the North
    Domains: Water, Glory, Weather, War, Travel
    Subdomains: Flowing, Heroism, Monsoon, Tactics, Trade
    Known as Bishimonten in the Hana Empire, He of the North is regarded as the highest of the Four Kings. His mount is a great kite that is responsible for bringing the seasonal rains when he rides upon it. In many of the eastern faiths He is seen as a bringer of wealth, though in the land of Hana he is regarded as a great warrior as well, being commonly depicted in heavy armor.

He of the South
    Domains: Air, Plant, Repose, Protection, Magic
    Subdomains: Wind, Growth, Souls, Defense, Rites
    Known as Zōchōten in Hana, He of the South is seen as the bringer of the southern spring wind, riding upon his red tiger, and bringing with it pollen and seeds. Respected widely by farmers, he is also worshipped as a god of death throughout the Hanan Empire, responsible for taking souls to their next life. Thus, many of his temples also serve to act as mortuaries, tending to the dead, blessing them so that they do not return to haunt the living

He of the East
    Domains: Earth, Charm, Community, Trickery, Luck
    Subdomains: Captivation, Cooperation, Family, Deception, Imagination
    Famed as the god of music, He of the East is often depicted bearing a lotus in one hand and a stringed instrument in the other, though the specifics of this depends on the culture. In Hana, he is known as Jikokuten, and his instrument is depicted as a shamisen. He rides upon a white lion, signalling the coming of winter and the season of festivals, which is his domain.

He of the West
    Domains Fire, Scalykind, Strength, Knowledge, Healing
    Subdomains: Dragon, Ferocity, Education, Memory, Restoration
    Known as Kōmoku-ten in Hana, He of the West is renowned for his wisdom; being known as one who sees all, it is respected that nothing can escape his sight. He is known as one who fights illness, and is depicted riding upon his red dragon. It is said that he rode off into the West long ago, never to return.

The Gentle Lady of Waya
    Domains: Darkness, Trickery, Repose, Magic, Community
    Subdomains: Night, Deception, Ancestors, Souls, Cooperation
    The cultural goddess of the wayang, they believe that she was banished from the Garden of Divinity for stealing the secret of making life from the gods. While nearly all Eastern Faiths believe in reincarnation, the Wayang believe that they first become shadows on death before their rebirth, meaning that all shadows are their past ancestors and future progeny.

New World Faiths
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Faiths of the Indigenous Plainsmen are too numerous to list here, as each possess their own gods and rituals. However, it can easily be said that many are in tune with nature, so players creating their own may also choose from any animal or terrain domain, whether or not they are a druid.

One common belief among the Plains religions, however, is that of a battle at the beginning of time, when the sky cracked open and the angels of the heavens streamed forth to strike down the demons of the Earth, which left the landscape of the Occident a barren and desolate waste. Another common belief is that this battle ended in a truce, which may soon come to an end, most likely spelling doom for not only the Occident, but the world at large as well.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-04-25 at 01:39 PM.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

4. - Top - End - #4

Player Roster

-~Reserved~-
    Avatar Vecna Vogun Guttrr Goblin Conscript 1/Gunslinger 1 (Siege Gunner/Musket Master/Gunfighter)

-~Submissions~-
    Player Character Race/Class Finished
    TheOneHawk Tobias 'Toby' McGaire Rogue (Knif Master/Bandit) Yes
    SteveSciGuy Man With No Name Humen Prodigy 2 No
    Rokku Doc Jubilee Kitsune Striker (Black Powder Brawler) No
    The Kool Tarathiel Elven Martial Armorist 2 Yes
    GreenFlame133 Ashie Dwarven Blacksmith 2 Yes, Could use more fleshing out, however
    stack Uriah Smith Humen Wraith 2 Yes
    Eldest Katherine de Sac Humen Investigator (Battered Detective) 2 Yes
    RoTWS Billy Rand Humen Pistolero Gunslinger 2 Yes. Could Use more fleshing out, however.
    Illogictree G.B. Gallant Humen Investigator (Steel Hound/Battered Detective) Yes
    Get Jayce Humen Cavalier (Blooded Knight) 2 No
    kjelfalconer Jesse Garrett Gunslinger (Wandslinger/Gun Tank) 2 Yes
    Nevershutup Doctor Silas Henry Human Scholar 2 Yes
    Jericho Kanemura Benjiro Oni Sage 2 Yes
    Hannahbbug Leslie "Les" Cooper Human Bard (Sphere Bard/HoaxerT) 2 Yes
    Dread_Head Vincent Barlow Human Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1/Bard (Knave) 1 Yes
    Timble Eddie Floyd Human Technician 2 (Suit Pilot) Yes
    R2Excelsior Johnathan Dulaney Human Reaper 2 No
    ElFi Agatha LeGray Psychic (Ascendent Mind) 2 Yes
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-05-19 at 01:22 PM.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

5. - Top - End - #5

Well, I found this while you were still making the reserve posts. I'll roll some stats and start figuring.

Spoiler: Set 1
    Show

(4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[13]

Spoiler: Set 2
    Show

(4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[11]

Right... I'll take the point buy.
    Last edited by Xanyo; 2019-04-24 at 04:29 PM.
    INTP-A.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Posting interest! Maybe a swashbuckling thrillseeker or some such.

Set 1:
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[17]

Set 2:
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[15]

Edit: oh, those are some pretty interesting stats, gotta think on it

Probably take the second one, 29 point buy equivalent and better rounded
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-04-24 at 05:06 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

To the roller!

Spoiler: Dice, dice, baby!
    Show

Set 1:
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]

Set 2:
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[9]

Um... no.
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2019-04-24 at 04:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

This looks interesting. Lots of house rules I'll have to give a much closer read when I'm more awake, but the concept is certainly intriguing.

Rolls for the hell of it, but I'll probably take point buy.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[15]

(4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

Is melee workable in this game, or does the proliferation of firearms make melee difficult?

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    Is melee workable in this game, or does the proliferation of firearms make melee difficult?
    I tried to give some options to make melee a bit more viable. See Mod #4 concerning Amateur Swashbuckler and Cut from the Air.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I think I'll be applying as a knife master rogue who eschews firearms as unreliable and prefers stealth and diplomacy/intimidation to violence, which he prefers to resort to only after ensuring he has a substantial tactical advantage. Probably human, since none of the races quite work with what I'm picturing in my head, except maybe goblin but that Cha penalty plays havoc with the build I have in mind.

I might have missed it in one of those impressive text walls, but are alternate racial traits allowed?
    Last edited by TheOneHawk; 2019-04-24 at 06:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneHawk View Post
    I think I'll be applying as a knife master rogue who eschews firearms as unreliable and prefers stealth and diplomacy/intimidation to violence, which he prefers to resort to only after ensuring he has a substantial tactical advantage. Probably human, since none of the races quite work with what I'm picturing in my head, except maybe goblin but that Cha penalty plays havoc with the build I have in mind.

I might have missed it in one of those impressive text walls, but are alternate racial traits allowed?
    Sure! It might be awkward for some of them but it'll generally be fine. If there's one you aren't sure about just give me a holler and we can work it out.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I was looking at dimdweller since a stealthy character who needs a torch at night isn't exactly ideal. It seems a bit... strong, though, as much as its mechanical benefits would be absolutely ideal for the build, I don't want to come across as overly cheesy.

14. - Top - End - #14

NecromancerGuy

I think I might take a shot at a Dex and Cha based Prodigy, bit of a nomad who goes wherever interesting stuff is happening. Will work out some actual details later

Maybe flavor part of the wanderlust as running from those who dislike his magical abilities
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-04-24 at 06:37 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Rolling a d8 for level 2 vigour points.

(1d8)[7]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

What level of Firearms are available, Very Rare, Emerging, Commonplace, or Guns Everywhere?

Leaning Trenchcoat Fighter, grabbing Ameture Swashbuckling and running around with either a Scimitar or a Rapier and some sort of firearm.

Some rolls in the mean time:
    Spoiler: DICE FOR DA DICE GODZ
    Show
    Set 1
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[4]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]

Set 2
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[9]

Aaaaand 20 pb it is, unless rerolls are allowed for bad dice.
    Last edited by Ellowryn; 2019-04-24 at 07:02 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine started in a Dwarven church of Pelor, now with a moon!

Also, note to self, sacrificing KFC in a small apartment is not a good idea.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks like a lot of bad luck rolling so far, lets see if I can break that streak.

(4d6b3)[8](4d6b3)[15](4d6b3)[11](4d6b3)[12](4d6b3)[15](4d6b3)[10]

(4d6b3)[16](4d6b3)[8](4d6b3)[11](4d6b3)[15](4d6b3)[14](4d6b3)[10]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Thinking a bounty hunter after a score with a personal tie-in. Not sure on class.

Bounty hunter armiger doesn't mesh with guns as-is. Hmm.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not necessarily planning to play one, but... Tieflings as Oni half-breeds?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

And I'm triple-posting but any modifications to the fact that only Gunslingers get a stat bonus to firearm damage and thus are really the only class than can effectively use them?

I guess the Mechanical Savant talent kinda takes care of this, I forgot about that.
    Last edited by Rokku; 2019-04-24 at 10:37 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Ok, barebones of a sheet here. Lots of stuff to fill in still but the core of the mechanics is on there. Using HP as wound points and Max HP as vigour points.

Also, considering the OP has the price of a revolver at 40 dollars instead of the 400 it would be without the Guns Everywhere ruleset, I'm pretty sure we're using that one.
    Last edited by TheOneHawk; 2019-04-24 at 07:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

(4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]

(4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[17]

Still interested, naturally. Here's hoping my rolls make a goblin gunslinger feasible.
    I'm one of those people who ruins X-stalt/epic games for everybody who's just wanting to play legendary figures.

Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

1) Are we using the rule about not adding an attribute to a stat multiple times, or ignoring it?

2) How common/rare should we expect finding/buying magic items to be?

3) How common/rare is magical healing likely to be outside of the party? We looking at bare minimum a few lvl 1 clerics/adepts in a religious town, with larger communities having more/higher level, or are priests capable of channeling few and far between? The former tends to be the standard in fantasy games, while the latter is more fitting to the western theme, and I wanted to be sure, since we're probably gonna get shot a lot.

4) While it's less of a problem because this game is E6, oftentimes mounted folks who don't have an animal companion/special mount tend to kinda...go through 'em rather quickly, since the animals don't improve but the PCs and enemies do. While it's not too important at lvl 2, it might matter more at lvl 6 and onward, so somebody lookin' into making a mounted combat specialist would wanna know their options. So...would it be possible to pick up a AC/SM progression via feats?
    I'm one of those people who ruins X-stalt/epic games for everybody who's just wanting to play legendary figures.

Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Allllso, traits and drawbacks?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Number 13 of big 16: "Also yes you may have two traits at first level, and may take a drawback to gain a third. I shouldn't have to say that I expect your traits and drawbacks to fit organically with your character and to roleplay them out if the need ever arises."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Number 13 of big 16: "Also yes you may have two traits at first level, and may take a drawback to gain a third. I shouldn't have to say that I expect your traits and drawbacks to fit organically with your character and to roleplay them out if the need ever arises."
    Thanks, missed that somehow.

27. - Top - End - #27

I was looking at dimdweller since a stealthy character who needs a torch at night isn't exactly ideal. It seems a bit... strong, though, as much as its mechanical benefits would be absolutely ideal for the build, I don't want to come across as overly cheesy.
    Mmm, I was kinda specific about limiting access to darkvision to a few races. Heart of the Fey would grant you access to low-light vision, if that helps any. I dunno, imagine sneaking up on an enemy camp at night, they're likely going to be sitting around a fire anyway, so it's not like you couldn't see them. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    I'm not necessarily planning to play one, but... Tieflings as Oni half-breeds?
    That wasn't the question I was expecting to be asked regarding them, but I do have plans for Tieflings & Aasimar. I suppose you could make Half-Orcs and reflavor them as half-Oni, giving them horns and the like, since Oni are just reskinned Orcs anyway. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    And I'm triple-posting but any modifications to the fact that only Gunslingers get a stat bonus to firearm damage and thus are really the only class than can effectively use them?
    I guess that's a fair point. I did give Cut from the Air as a bonus option for Amateur Swashbucklers, so I'll say that people with the Amateur Gunslinger feat get 1/2 DEX to firearm damage. I'll also say that people with Amateur Swashbuckler just get Cut from the Air as a bonus feat, since they'll already need to take Muscular/Combat Reflexes to make the most out of it.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-04-24 at 09:23 PM.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Totally makes sense if you're trying to limit darkvision to the goblinoids. I'd go for Heart of the Fey, but it doesn't quite mesh with the image I have of the character. Probably just gonna go with boring old base human. Thanks for the speedy reply!

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    1) Are we using the rule about not adding an attribute to a stat multiple times, or ignoring it?
    Do you mean from Automatic Bonus Progression? You can add as many as you like at each level, but at least one has to be in a mental stat, and the other has to be physical. So, since you only get three points to spend, you can really only put two in a single stat at each level.

2) How common/rare should we expect finding/buying magic items to be?
    I don't expect there to be Ye Olde Magic Item Shoppes, per se, but you might some across the odd curios/antique sellers here and there. I'll have to think on that a bit more.

3) How common/rare is magical healing likely to be outside of the party? We looking at bare minimum a few lvl 1 clerics/adepts in a religious town, with larger communities having more/higher level, or are priests capable of channeling few and far between? The former tends to be the standard in fantasy games, while the latter is more fitting to the western theme, and I wanted to be sure, since we're probably gonna get shot a lot.
    I imagine every town has a church, and most probably have some form of healing, though they may expect you to tithe for it. Keep in mind that, with the changes to HP, it may be more cost effective to find a doctor to stitch you up (Or simply take up medicine yourself :P)

4) While it's less of a problem because this game is E6, oftentimes mounted folks who don't have an animal companion/special mount tend to kinda...go through 'em rather quickly, since the animals don't improve but the PCs and enemies do. While it's not too important at lvl 2, it might matter more at lvl 6 and onward, so somebody lookin' into making a mounted combat specialist would wanna know their options. So...would it be possible to pick up a AC/SM progression via feats?
    It;s actually fairly easy with Spheres, since you can pick up the Beastmastery Sphere which can grant you an Animal Companion or a familiar at the cost of only a few talent.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ellowryn View Post
    What level of Firearms are available, Very Rare, Emerging, Commonplace, or Guns Everywhere?

Leaning Trenchcoat Fighter, grabbing Ameture Swashbuckling and running around with either a Scimitar or a Rapier and some sort of firearm.

Some rolls in the mean time:
    Spoiler: DICE FOR DA DICE GODZ
    Show
    Set 1
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Set 2
    [roll6]
    [roll7]
    [roll8]
    [roll9]
    [roll10]
    [roll11]

Aaaaand 20 pb it is, unless rerolls are allowed for bad dice.
    Resposting as my question got skipped.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine started in a Dwarven church of Pelor, now with a moon!

Also, note to self, sacrificing KFC in a small apartment is not a good idea.