Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres, Still open to intere

lemme roll

Spoiler: Set 1
    Show
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[14]

Spoiler: Set 2
    Show
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[9]

EDIT: Second set is good enough! Thinking of going for a "Snake Oiler" or "Handsome Rogue/Robin Hood Raider" sort of character. In either case... likely a bard.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-05-12 at 09:29 PM.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres, Still open to intere

All right, after much dithering and stewing and mind changing, I think Toby is done. Since I first posted him I considered some tinkering with the mechanics, trying to add SoM into it somehow, but it never quite worked mechanically and I don't want this character to be any more complex, so I think he's mechanically unchanged from his first appearance. His last name was changed because apparently there's an American actor named Tobey Mcguire. TIL. I don't watch movies very often. His backstory and personality have been added, plus some changes to his set of daggers. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Oh, should I have a horse or will there be access to wagons? I don't honestly see Toby being much of a horse person.
    Last edited by TheOneHawk; 2019-05-13 at 05:24 AM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ElFi View Post
    Alright, let's try dice rolls to start off.

Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Show
    [roll6]
    [roll7]
    [roll8]
    [roll9]
    [roll10]
    [roll11]

Ouch, and that second set was looking so nice for a second. I'll take the point-buy, then.
    Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    This looks pretty awesome! Love the setting lore thus far. I've got a couple of character concepts floating about, but I'll see what the dice gods say first:

Spoiler: Roll the bones...
    Show
    Set 1
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Set 2
    [roll6]
    [roll7]
    [roll8]
    [roll9]
    [roll10]
    [roll11]

EDIT: Nice, the dice have smiled upon me! I need to take another look at the submitted characters before I nail something down.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannahbbug3 View Post
    lemme roll

Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Show
    [roll6]
    [roll7]
    [roll8]
    [roll9]
    [roll10]
    [roll11]

EDIT: Second set is good enough! Thinking of going for a "Snake Oiler" or "Handsome Rogue/Robin Hood Raider" sort of character. In either case... likely a bard.
    Okay! Looking forward to what y'all cook up :3

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneHawk View Post
    All right, after much dithering and stewing and mind changing, I think Toby is done. Since I first posted him I considered some tinkering with the mechanics, trying to add SoM into it somehow, but it never quite worked mechanically and I don't want this character to be any more complex, so I think he's mechanically unchanged from his first appearance. His last name was changed because apparently there's an American actor named Tobey Mcguire. TIL. I don't watch movies very often. His backstory and personality have been added, plus some changes to his set of daggers. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Oh, should I have a horse or will there be access to wagons? I don't honestly see Toby being much of a horse person.
    Well, to be fair, he hasn't exactly been a relevant actor in about a decade at least, since he played Peter Parker in the Raimi Spiderman movies. I will say that I love the flavor of all of his knives. I'll take a closer look at his backstory when I get home later.

On horses: it's probably wise to invest at least a point or two in the Ride skill just in case. People in the Old West (who traveled) didn't really have the luxury of not being "horse people," since horses were really the most effective means of traversing vast swathes of open desert at that point in history. While you certainly can wait for a wagon, I wonder how much Toby's conscience would allow for him to ride in someone else's wagon, considering how much value he seems to place on rugged individualism. Unless he's buying his own wagon, of course, but that might be something you'll have to discuss with your travel companions when you get to that point.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-05-13 at 11:31 AM.
    -~DM~-
    Fairy Tales of the Occident
    A narrative-focused weird west campaign with ghosts and samurai and stuff.
    My Art!
    Currently Playing
    Clover - Cayden's Cheerful Company (IC)
    Evelyn Kristeva - Exploration of Yrannia (IC)
    Kazik - Prologue to the End (IC)

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Bah, just possess the horse instead of riding it!

Okay, that would be more path of the cryptid and I don't feel like re-writing my character.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Bah, just possess the horse instead of riding it!

Okay, that would be more path of the cryptid and I don't feel like re-writing my character.
    Expanded Path Possession's always an option .

And honestly, given how mediocre the rest of the Cryptid Path is, that's probably the best option if you want to possess animals.
    Last edited by ElFi; 2019-05-13 at 03:41 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Healer: Pathfinder remake of the 3.5 class of the same name. Light, restoration, and more positive energy effects than you can shake a cleric at.

6. - Top - End - #276

Quote Originally Posted by ElFi View Post
    Expanded Path Possession's always an option .

And honestly, given how mediocre the rest of the Cryptid Path is, that's probably the best option if you want to possess animals.
    lol

just can't catch a break huh
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-05-13 at 06:25 PM.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

Benjiro Is about half-way completed. Still need to finish gear and put in his backstory.

As for his Casting Tradition, I wanted to go for Chi Tracer but with the additional drawbacks of Emotional Casting and Mental Focus for extra ki points. While you have stated your requirements for casters in rule #2, Sage is a bit unique since it is treated as a high caster for caster level but technically it's all powered by a Ki Pool. The catch is that any class feature that uses ki now are constrained by casting drawbacks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters:
    Inactive:

Homebrew I'm using:

Awesome Varsuvius Avatar by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Going to go ahead and throw up the sheet I've got in the works for Leslie "Les" Cooper. Not got any equipment and still have yet to fluff him out, but the crunch is mostly there.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-05-13 at 09:58 PM.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by JerichoPenumbra View Post
    Benjiro Is about half-way completed. Still need to finish gear and put in his backstory.

As for his Casting Tradition, I wanted to go for Chi Tracer but with the additional drawbacks of Emotional Casting and Mental Focus for extra ki points. While you have stated your requirements for casters in rule #2, Sage is a bit unique since it is treated as a high caster for caster level but technically it's all powered by a Ki Pool. The catch is that any class feature that uses ki now are constrained by casting drawbacks.
    Hmm, well, since I did make ki pools an explicit exception to the rule, I guess there isn't any harm to carrying that exception over to that class as well. That's fine.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

10. - Top - End - #280

So I've been busy working on my character sheet and I think it's pretty much done. I've put the finished back story on there, along with some info in the Description, Personality, Contacts/Friends and Enemies areas. Mechanically think I've got everything I need on there although if I've missed anything please let me know.

One question I have is on the ageing rules, technically my character would be middle aged and I was wondering if we will be using the rules for ageing effects in this game? I don't really mind either way but thought I should check as I haven't currently applied them.

Vincent Barlow
    Last edited by Dread_Head; 2019-05-14 at 04:01 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So I'm starting to focus in on a concept a bit more, but I wanted to run one of my ideas past the DM to make sure it would be appropriate for the campaign.

Basically I'm thinking a dwarf who, through secretly follows the old pagan deities, back from when the dwarves were still raiders and warriors. I would be going for either an incanter or soul weaver focused on the Fate sphere (and probably dipping into one or two more, like mind, time, or telekinesis). Basically manipulating the fates which the gods have laid out, instead of accepting the path the Authority has laid out. (I could probably make that character work without the old gods too, but I like the idea overall).

The other concept is a Parzivalian Knight Paladin, also playing with the fate sphere. Maybe involved with one of the churches of the Authority, maybe just someone out on their own to do good. They are in Salt City because it seemed like the right place to be. Basically very idealistic and naive.
    DMing:
    The Darkest Dungeon: IC / OOC / DOC

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

12. - Top - End - #282

Quote Originally Posted by Dread_Head View Post
    So I've been busy working on my character sheet and I think it's pretty much done. I've put the finished back story on there, along with some info in the Description, Personality, Contacts/Friends and Enemies areas. Mechanically think I've got everything I need on there although if I've missed anything please let me know.

One question I have is on the ageing rules, technically my character would be middle aged and I was wondering if we will be using the rules for ageing effects in this game? I don't really mind either way but thought I should check as I haven't currently applied them.

Vincent Barlow
    Okay! And yeah, if he was still in his 30s we could probably work aroudn that, but at about 40 I think he would have to start suffering the aging effects. Perhaps him not being as spry as he used to be could work into his character somehow, since it is a well-known Western trope anyway. :p

So I'm starting to focus in on a concept a bit more, but I wanted to run one of my ideas past the DM to make sure it would be appropriate for the campaign.

Basically I'm thinking a dwarf who, through secretly follows the old pagan deities, back from when the dwarves were still raiders and warriors. I would be going for either an incanter or soul weaver focused on the Fate sphere (and probably dipping into one or two more, like mind, time, or telekinesis). Basically manipulating the fates which the gods have laid out, instead of accepting the path the Authority has laid out. (I could probably make that character work without the old gods too, but I like the idea overall).

The other concept is a Parzivalian Knight Paladin, also playing with the fate sphere. Maybe involved with one of the churches of the Authority, maybe just someone out on their own to do good. They are in Salt City because it seemed like the right place to be. Basically very idealistic and naive.
    Either concept is fine with me, and could be fairly interesting in the world, at least imo.

On that same note, I am surprised by the lack of interest in the Hellfire Church so far, since that was one of the suggestions in the original thread, but I guess that leaves more goodies for me. :P
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-05-14 at 10:30 PM.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

13. - Top - End - #283

Coming in rather late to the recruitment, so I had to rush this a bit.
    Eddie Floyd, conman inventor.
    Basic backstory:
    Use to be a part of a (relatively) high-tech bandit gang, which he betrayed after the death of his mentor.
    Full backstory at the bottom of the sheet.

Sheets:
    Eddie Floyd
    Clockwork Exoskeleton

The sheets are still in progress.
    One of the ideas I had for developing him was that while he had the clockwork suit, he has to be careful using it as it might connect him to his old gang.

14. - Top - End - #284

Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    Okay! And yeah, if he was still in his 30s we could probably work aroudn that, but at about 40 I think he would have to start suffering the aging effects. Perhaps him not being as spry as he used to be could work into his character somehow, since it is a well-known Western trope anyway. :p
    Ok, I've updated the sheet with the middle aged modifiers, I've shifted the stats round a little bit to accommodate for it but on the whole it's mostly the same. And yes part of the plan is to roleplay him as slightly past his best but still a force to be reckoned with.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Either concept is fine with me, and could be fairly interesting in the world, at least imo.

On that same note, I am surprised by the lack of interest in the Hellfire Church so far, since that was one of the suggestions in the original thread, but I guess that leaves more goodies for me. :P
    Hellfire church? I didnít see that on a quick double-check of the opening posts, but I am intrigued by the name. Did I just miss it?
    DMing:

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Hellfire church? I didnít see that on a quick double-check of the opening posts, but I am intrigued by the name. Did I just miss it?
    Yep, I'm not seeing anything about a hellfire church, i did a quick search through the first couple of posts.
    LGBTA+itP

17. - Top - End - #287

Ah, that was what the Church of Inevitable Damnation was intended to be. :P
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

For that, as an OOC pagan who would be on the wrong side of that kind of church, I didn't feel super comfortable playing it. No problem with other people doing it, just not for me. Plus I found more interest in the Sophists for my character, since the idea of forbidden knowledge and purchased connections fit perfectly in how I imagine her.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-05-15 at 12:09 PM.
    LGBTA+itP

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

Spoiler: Katherine de Sac
    Show

Katherine de Sac
    "Katherine de Sac is a layabout playgirl who has never worked an honest day's work in her life. Whatever she's doing in Salt City, she's not about to start now."

Katherine de Sac is from old, old money in the Union. More properly, she's old money from the Old World, but her family had transplanted prior to the colony's rebellion, so they get the perks of both sides of it. She grew up in a manor, as a matter of course, learning how a lady of her stature should behave. Hunting trips, fencing, managing a household, etiquette and savoir faire, maintaining connections with high society and the Sophists. The third and last child of the current patriarch of the de Sacs, she was expected to simply work her way through high society at large, advantage the family with a marriage, and then enjoy herself for the rest of her years.

Then her eldest brother, heir to the de Sac fortune, took a sabbatical from university and went west. Nobody that she's asked knows why Matthieu left, only that he said it was important, critical even, and that it needed to be one of the family. His last letter was postmarked from Salt City. It was sent 4 months ago, and ended a streak of weekly letters home.

Katherine has come to Salt City to find out what the devil is going on here. She's got a fistful of dollars, a bottle of whiskey, a loyal dog at her side, and a pistol up her sleeve. And she's not leaving without answers.

Finalized. Sheet is done, quick introduction of the character, and hints at her personal history. If you have any questions, I'd love to answer them, but I'm the worst at open ended things like this, so unless a bolt of insperation strikes this will likely be what I'm sitting on. Final note, she intentionally does not have much, if any, survival gear. She is a Lady Of Class. Survival gear is something that happens to the Rabble. Should we need to take a trip into the wilds, she'd buy it, of course, but she's not going to show up to Salt City expecting that trip.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-05-15 at 01:48 PM.
    LGBTA+itP

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Eldest, iirc the game doesnít start in salt city, in fact Iím pretty sure the game is intended to primarily be the trip to salt city.

21. - Top - End - #291

RedWizardGuy

Agatha LeGray is finished save for equipment and stats for her bound companion, Ibsen. I took some creative liberties with describing the Church of Pious Contemplation in her backstory - hope that nothing contained wherein violates your vision of what the Contemplationists look like too heavily, Chromascope.

She's not much of a warrior, but she has a lot of utility, scouting, and sensory powers, and gets good skill bonuses between Amateur Investigator and the Enlightenment discipline's powers.
    My Homebrew
    Healer: Pathfinder remake of the 3.5 class of the same name. Light, restoration, and more positive energy effects than you can shake a cleric at.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Hey, Chromascope, just making sure to drop a line on things. Between last weekend being busy and my job being totally horrendous this week I haven't had time to finish off my character. I think I only have a few things left to buy, but I'm having trouble with his bio. What exactly are you looking for in one, so I can at least have something to work off of?

All I have currently is he was raised on the frontier and moved to the city after the family farm went bust, where he ended up going to work for Stockton. Also he's infamous for having put a dangerous criminal in the ground instead of bringing him in.

What I haven't fleshed out is WHY he's working for Stockton. He has a personal code of conduct I'm still working out, but I sort of want him to have taken part in some of the Agency's more questionable activities. I kind of want to go on the angle of having his code and his job come into conflict during the course of the campaign.

Also I'm going to change his name to "G.B. Gallant".
    My DeviantArt page
    My Twitch channel! Watch me draw while I ramble about semi-related topics, every Saturday at 4:00 PM PST.
    Missed a stream? Watch it on my YouTube channel!

23. - Top - End - #293

Hmm, I guess if you're familiar with the ten minute background then something like that is fine, though I would like a bit more narrative construction than just a simple list. The main things I'm looking for are some clearly defined goals, some major life events that shaped who the character is today, some flaws to make them a bit more interesting, and a few connections to individuals or organizations that could possibly be brought in to make potential conflicts more personal. Tying in your story to your Loyalties is also a big plus.

@ElFi That's fine, most of the organizations are blank canvases beyond what I have written so you have a lot of empty space to work in. A first glance nothing you've written seems to conflict so far

@Eldest Okay! Looks good.

EDIT: I just realized that I'm going to be busy on Saturday so I'm going to officially mark the final sheet deadline at midnight CST on Saturday.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-05-15 at 11:12 PM.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So I've done some thinking on those two character concepts, and... decided to go with something totally different. Neither of them were really clicking for me, but I think I've had one that did. Sheet is here (still very WIP for now). The concept still needs to be fleshed out mechanically and fluff-wise, but the basic idea is someone who follows the Church of Inevitable Damnation to get revenge for an encounter they had with some kind of monster early in life which has marked them.

I do have a few questions for the DM:

1. Is the Reaper class allowed? It's spheres content but not from the same publisher as the base system. That said it's all 3rd party in the first place, so...

2. For the magic drawbacks, does a focus have to be held to be effective? Does it occupy the hand it's held in (or could I, for example, have a holy symbol brandished in the same hand as a pistol? It's okay if it is, just that makes it tough when I'm imagining him as a sword-and-pistol kind of guy.

3. This one is a stretch... is there any chance I can get the 9th level Reaper cult effects as an epic feat? The only other class which opens up 9th level abilities is the sorcerer, but they don't have anything at 8th level... but then the Reaper gets a Reaper technique at 8th level, which you can already get more of via feats. It's okay if not, but I do like the flavor of the Reaper slowly succumbing to the monstrous taint within them, and the flavor of the abilities starts getting really good at 9th level--and the answer may influence which cult I pick.
    DMing:

25. - Top - End - #295

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

For question 1, way back early in the thread the DM said the following:

Yeah, I think I'm okay with most of the Champions content, but, I will say I'm on the fence about the Champions base classes specifically, since I don't have much experience with them and they strike me as needlessly convoluted? I dunno, maybe someone can convince me otherwise about that.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

26. - Top - End - #296

So I've done some thinking on those two character concepts, and... decided to go with something totally different. Neither of them were really clicking for me, but I think I've had one that did. Sheet is here (still very WIP for now). The concept still needs to be fleshed out mechanically and fluff-wise, but the basic idea is someone who follows the Church of Inevitable Damnation to get revenge for an encounter they had with some kind of monster early in life which has marked them.

I do have a few questions for the DM:

1. Is the Reaper class allowed? It's spheres content but not from the same publisher as the base system. That said it's all 3rd party in the first place, so...

2. For the magic drawbacks, does a focus have to be held to be effective? Does it occupy the hand it's held in (or could I, for example, have a holy symbol brandished in the same hand as a pistol? It's okay if it is, just that makes it tough when I'm imagining him as a sword-and-pistol kind of guy.

3. This one is a stretch... is there any chance I can get the 9th level Reaper cult effects as an epic feat? The only other class which opens up 9th level abilities is the sorcerer, but they don't have anything at 8th level... but then the Reaper gets a Reaper technique at 8th level, which you can already get more of via feats. It's okay if not, but I do like the flavor of the Reaper slowly succumbing to the monstrous taint within them, and the flavor of the abilities starts getting really good at 9th level--and the answer may influence which cult I pick.
    :/ I think I'm going to have to veto those classes. I don't know much about them, but from the ones I've tried using I got the impression that they maybe needed a few more passes with the editing stick. And yes, you generally channel magic through your hands, so the focus would have to be hand held.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    For question 1, way back early in the thread the DM said the following:
    That was referring to the "first party" spheres classes. The Lost Spheres classes I'm a little more leery of.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-05-16 at 10:18 PM.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

27. - Top - End - #297

OldWizardGuy

While we're here, is there anything further you'd like to see from me before you close things down?
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

28. - Top - End - #298

Nah, Tarathiel looks good. Keep in mind that you do have til saturday night to make an changes you need.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Same question, any requests for more details on Lady Katherine?
    LGBTA+itP

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Same question, any requests for more details on Lady Katherine?
    Oh, yes, if you don't mind, could you copy your backstory onto your sheet somewhere? It would also be helpful to fill out her description and personality boxes as well.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing