Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Fables of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    Spoiler: Dice gods, don't fail me now
    Show
    Set 1
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Set 2
    [roll6]
    [roll7]
    [roll8]
    [roll9]
    [roll10]
    [roll11]

DM: Chromascope3D
    1. Xanyo
    2. Stevesciguy
    3. Deadguy
    4. TheOneHawk
    5. Ellowryn
    6. Rokku
    7. stack
    8. AvatarVecna
    9. Eldest
    10. Get
    11. Greenflame133 (I got it right this time)
    12. kjelfalconer
    13. The Kool

So, the Armorist. I like the feel, but one of their core mechanics revolves around summoning weapons with enhancement bonuses already on them. Given the ABP, this winds up somewhat redundant... Should I add it to what I give my summons? I'm only pulling +2 from my class features, at first glance.
    I mean, honestly a +2 weapon is pretty scary in e6.
    LGBTA+itP

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    I mean, honestly a +2 weapon is pretty scary in e6.
    Yeah but with "every weapon is a +1", it is halfway redundant. Also, how would it interact with Enhancement sphere?
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

I have to ask it the wraith is an acceptable class, since it is unusual and wasn't in the core books?

Hunting down your own murderer is a fun backstory.
    Last edited by stack; 2019-04-25 at 10:29 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    I have to ask it the wraith is an acceptable class, since it is unusual and wasn't in the core books?

There was some discussion about this in the original thread.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

Spoiler: First set of rolls
    Show

(4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[9]

Spoiler: Second set of rolls
    Show

(4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[12]

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but I don't see Chomascope3d actually weighing in on it officially.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I finished a sheet before stack?? Impossible

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Argh. I'm torn between Gunslinger 3/Conscript 3, Gunslinger 1/Conscript 5, and Conscript 6. The first one is the only one that can pick up Gunslinger's Initiative and Nimble, the third one loses half-Dex to damage, but the third one gets that extra level of solid Spheres to play with.
    I'm one of those people who ruins X-stalt/epic games for everybody who's just wanting to play legendary figures.

Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

There is a talent for half BAB to firearms (and crossbow) damage on attack actions. Mechanical savant I think.

10. - Top - End - #70

OldWizardGuy

Well the dice gods are displeased with me today, so I'll be using 20pb. I'm holding off on a sheet until I hear something about Armorist vs Enhancement vs ABP, I might change to a different class depending on the answer.

I also spotted a race I kind of like, that in my mind fits perfectly with the setting: Forgeborn. Reskin it ever so slightly (and a new name?) and you get a character that's half clockwork. There's even an arm-cannon alternate racial trait in Spheres to replace the out of place psionic stuff.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Armorist gets relatively little value from the base ability of the enhancement sphere. If you get your CL up to 5, you could use that to hit +2 while using armorist to grant a +1 equivalent, or use enhancement for other stuff via other talents. Neither armorist nor Enhancement would stack with ABP as written. I haven't had a chance to look at the simplified version linked.

As always, the GM may decide to have things work differently.

12. - Top - End - #72

OldWizardGuy

Armorist gets relatively little value from the base ability of the enhancement sphere. If you get your CL up to 5, you could use that to hit +2 while using armorist to grant a +1 equivalent, or use enhancement for other stuff via other talents. Neither armorist nor Enhancement would stack with ABP as written. I haven't had a chance to look at the simplified version linked.

As always, the GM may decide to have things work differently.
    Yeah, as written they don't stack. I also don't expect the sphere to stack, personally, but the Bound Equipment feels like maybe it should. It's worth noting that level 6 is a really awkward level to stop the Armorist at.

Oh, as for why I don't expect the sphere to stack? If I go Whitesmith, then I can actually get any weapon I carry up to a +4 value. Mystic Crucible boosts the CL to full and lets me use it for abilities too, Personal Refinement means I can keep my weapons perpetually buffed and at higher values, then the Greater Enhancement talent takes what is normally a +2 up to a +4.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wow, this thread must be cursed. Some of these dice rolls are awful.

I was thinking I'd play a swashbuckler type with a pistol in one hand and a sword in the other. Was gonna grab prodigy form my class.

Is there any way I could swap out the focused casting drawback for the galvanized drawback? It's the same deal, but using a metal martial weapon(my sword) instead of a wand or staff

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, as written they don't stack. I also don't expect the sphere to stack, personally, but the Bound Equipment feels like maybe it should. It's worth noting that level 6 is a really awkward level to stop the Armorist at.

Oh, as for why I don't expect the sphere to stack? If I go Whitesmith, then I can actually get any weapon I carry up to a +4 value. Mystic Crucible boosts the CL to full and lets me use it for abilities too, Personal Refinement means I can keep my weapons perpetually buffed and at higher values, then the Greater Enhancement talent takes what is normally a +2 up to a +4.
    Greater enhancement is only +1. Where is the final +1 coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post

I was thinking I'd play a swashbuckler type with a pistol in one hand and a sword in the other. Was gonna grab prodigy form my class.

Is there any way I could swap out the focused casting drawback for the galvanized drawback? It's the same deal, but using a metal martial weapon(my sword) instead of a wand or staff
    There is a tradition published in the base book using a sword as the focus. A bow shows up elsewhere.
    Last edited by stack; 2019-04-25 at 12:05 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

OldWizardGuy

Greater enhancement is only +1. Where is the final +1 coming from?
    Personal Refinement: At 3rd level, a whitesmith that uses enhance equipment on a piece of equipment she is holding or wearing grants it an additional +1 enhancement bonus.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

4d6b3 averages:

Xanyo: 11.5000
    Stevesciguy: 12.6667
    Deadguy: 11.3333
    TheOneHawk: 13.3333
    Ellowryn: 10.5000
    Rokku: 12.0833
    Eldest: 13.1666
    Get: 13.3333
    Greenflame133: 13.6666
    kjelfalconer: 12.7500
    stack: 13.0000
    The Kool: 10.7500
    RoTWS: 12.5000

Theory: 12.2446
    Practice: 12.3869

There is a talent for half BAB to firearms (and crossbow) damage on attack actions. Mechanical savant I think.
    That's been mentioned, and it's certainly a way to make up for that loss, but ehhhhhhh. Oh yeah, and giving up Gunslinger 1 means losing Grit and Quick Clear (although I can kinda get them via Amateur Gunslinger, which isn't nothing...).
    I'm one of those people who ruins X-stalt/epic games for everybody who's just wanting to play legendary figures.

Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

ok, now we also got to look at average PB value, and effective modifiers as odd numbers aren't that useful.
    I color is green, no I blue. Ok, ok, I think color. not sure now to call it

Shameless self promotion in 3... 2... 1... my DA link. I got drawing, I got litterature. You have to see it

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

I want a Gatling gun (with Alteration to grow big enough to hip-fire it).

(Not actually requesting this)

19. - Top - End - #79

OldWizardGuy

I want a Gatling gun (with Alteration to grow big enough to hip-fire it).

(Not actually requesting this)
    No, you go ahead and have a gatling gun. I'll study it enough to make one my Bonded Weapon, which gets unlimited ammo and free enhancements, then I'll summon a few for the entire party (though they have limited ammo)

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Ok.

Trench Fighter does not gain a grit pool, although I can live with them not stacking regardless. I can't say I'm particularly happy about how many answers are "just use spheres" when I don't know Spheres and don't wanna learn a new system, but eh.

Ok. I'm off to look into options. I've got ideas forming but I should really probably just bite the bullet and investigate Spheres stuff.
    Sorry. :P

I mean, I can't blame you for that since I myself have been stubbornly refusing to learn Psionics/PoW. I will say that Spheres of Might is fairly easy to learn, once you view it through the lens of a feat replacement system. Just have an idea for a character concept and skim through the spheres to see what will get you there.

Musket Master archetype is an archetype for big-gun users that has a...problem in Guns Everywhere. It gains the Fast Musket deed which lets them reload a two-handed gun as fast as a one-handed gun...which is the default for advanced firearms. Can I replace this with the Utility Shot deed it normally replaces, or alternatively the Gunslinger's Dodge deed the archetype gave up?
    Yeah that's fine for either, whichever you think you might need more.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    Alright, I got an idea, sunder focused Techsmith. That is, if melee can be viable with that much firearms around.

Main problem are going to be feats, two main things are mobility and crafting. Getting crafting feats back is no brainer but aside from that. Perhaps casting (besic and advanced magic training) to get bound crature and use it as a mount. Alternatively a step up tree to be even more destructive ones I get into melee.
    Well, keeping in mind the new magic rules, a sunder/steal/disarm focused build might not be such a bad idea in a world where many casters have to use a focus.

Keep also in mind the changes to the Conjuration Sphere, which means that you probably won't be able to summon mounts at will.

Quote Originally Posted by Get View Post
    How do wands work in spheres anyway?
    Like this. They're keyed to a specific sphere and talents and utilize their own spell pool. I, for one, think it would be really funny to see a man run around with a finger gun that actually shoots. :P

So, the Armorist. I like the feel, but one of their core mechanics revolves around summoning weapons with enhancement bonuses already on them. Given the ABP, this winds up somewhat redundant... Should I add it to what I give my summons? I'm only pulling +2 from my class features, at first glance.
    I'll admit that I completely forgot about Armorist. Looking over it, since we're only going up to 6, I'll say it'll stack since it doesn't look like it'll be gamebreaking math anyway (though I could be wrong about that). Keep in mind that the total enhancement bonus is still limited by level; any extra needs to be spent on special abilities instead.

Also, how would it interact with Enhancement sphere?
    At fifth level, all characters would be getting +1 weapons and armor, while the Enhancement Sphere would be giving +2 enhancement bonuses. I think it'll probably be fine to leave it as is and not let it stack.

It would be setting appropriate, I will admit. I imagine that someone who knows his victim is pursuing him as a revenant would probably run to a city with a lot of salt, so there's some interesting interplay there. I'll allow it. Consider also if your character came back on his own or if he was conjured back by some sort of medium, for potential plot hooks :P

I also spotted a race I kind of like, that in my mind fits perfectly with the setting: Forgeborn. Reskin it ever so slightly (and a new name?) and you get a character that's half clockwork. There's even an arm-cannon alternate racial trait in Spheres to replace the out of place psionic stuff.
    I admit that I did look at that race while I was still in planning. I'm not going to say no, but keep in mind that you'll probably be the only one of your kind that you're aware of. Consider if you were perhaps the creation of a Dr. Light type of inventor figure or something along those lines, and if perhaps you were his greatest creation or maybe even just an early failed prototype.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-04-25 at 12:58 PM.
    -~DM~-
    Fairy Tales of the Occident
    A narrative-focused weird west campaign with ghosts and samurai and stuff.
    My Art!
    Currently Playing
    Clover - Cayden's Cheerful Company (IC)
    Evelyn Kristeva - Exploration of Yrannia (IC)
    Kazik - Prologue to the End (IC)

21. - Top - End - #81

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    ok, now we also got to look at average PB value, and effective modifiers as odd numbers aren't that useful.
    I think it's a reasonable enough analysis. I was suggesting that people were rolling poorly, but apparently we're doing slightly better than the theoretical average.(of course, maybe that's your first set balancing us out. Three 17s!?) We don't need to compare it to point buy, because that's not related to the rolling. Also, due to the improved ASI we get, odd numbers aren't as bad because they're much easier to level out.

Here's the skeleton of my character sheet. Not really anything of note on there yet
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-04-25 at 01:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

Oops forgot this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post

I was actually very particular in only allowing the few classes with Arcane Bond to use weapons as foci, so I'm going to have to say no on that.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

23. - Top - End - #83

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    Oops forgot this one.

I was actually very particular in only allowing the few classes with Arcane Bond to use weapons as foci, so I'm going to have to say no on that.
    I made it while you were typing up the other one.

Alright, fair enough. It says I can use a ring as a focus, so I can just eat the -1 ring slot, it'll save me from having to juggle my weapons

24. - Top - End - #84

OldWizardGuy

I'll admit that I completely forgot about Armorist. Looking over it, since we're only going up to 6, I'll say it'll stack since it doesn't look like it'll be gamebreaking math anyway (though I could be wrong about that). Keep in mind that the total enhancement bonus is still limited by level; any extra needs to be spent on special abilities instead.

At fifth level, all characters would be getting +1 weapons and armor, while the Enhancement Sphere would be giving +2 enhancement bonuses. I think it'll probably be fine to leave it as is and not let it stack.
    Cool, that's about what I expected. Once again, 6th level is a really awkward place to stop for Armorist, but actually with 'epic' feats to fill in some of that awkwardness it shouldn't be too bad. Notably there's some things that improve at level 7 that aren't worth much more than average at 6.

I admit that I did look at that race while I was still in planning. I'm not going to say no, but keep in mind that you'll probably be the only one of your kind that you're aware of. Consider if you were perhaps the creation of a Dr. Light type of inventor figure or something along those lines, and if perhaps you were his greatest creation or maybe even just an early failed prototype.
    The thought I had was a human or dwarf who fought in a war and was taken half-dead to a mad science lab and his body fused with tech. I might go this route, I might not... I'd have to think on how it interacts with other things I'm looking at. Now that I've got the thumbs-up I needed on the most critical question of my intended class, I'll start with a character sheet, and we'll see what race I decide on. If not Forgeborn, probably human (for the western feel) or dwarf (for the tech feel). Tossing around the idea for Goblin (for the hilarity of a tiny gremlin running around with bug guns), but it feels like too much of a cheese-grab to me.

25. - Top - End - #85

Also, I added some more flavor text to the OP if anyone wants to look at it for inspiration. :P
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

26. - Top - End - #86

OldWizardGuy

Chroma, have you considered ways to have more firearms? I did some digging, and only found this guy, but to me it just doesn't feel Western if you don't have some kind of ****-measuring with guns. There needs to be variety, I feel.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Does Spheres have anything for speedimg up use ofnthe Heal skill? Also when I get home I'll put up a quick chart for each person's total modifier/pointbuy value, for a better idea of the spread.

Many thanks!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Does Spheres have anything for speedimg up use ofnthe Heal skill? Also when I get home I'll put up a quick chart for each person's total modifier/pointbuy value, for a better idea of the spread.
    Scholar class has abilities using Heal. No universal options.

29. - Top - End - #89

Does Spheres have anything for speedimg up use ofnthe Heal skill?
    Unfortunately no, but that is a good point. I'll think on it.
    -~DM~-
    My Art!
    Currently Playing

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately no, but that is a good point. I'll think on it.
    Currently the only thing I'm aware of that speeds up mundane healing like that is the 3PP medic archetype. All other things that "speed up" the healing increase the amount healed rather than changing the time it takes. I'm looking at comboing the Battlefield Surgeon trait, a Mobile Hospital, and Unchained heal. If you squint your eyes at some of the mechanical interactions, this should let me heal six people in an hour up to four hit points per hit die at lvl 5+.

Many thanks!