Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 313
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    I'm just going to make sure sure, only Vigor and Wound systems mod applies to animal companions.
    What no this is bull****.
    I'm one of those people who ruins X-stalt/epic games for everybody who's just wanting to play legendary figures.

    Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Prince George, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    OK, so I've done a little poking around at the mechanics. I think I want to go with Investigator for my class, and I'd like to make him a quick-draw expert and trick shooter. (I know, a Stockton who isn't just a thug with a gun? Shocking!)

    The problem I'm having is that the archetypes I've been looking at don't quite go together. The Steel Hound and the Battered Detective respectively modify and replace the base weapon and armor proficiencies; the Steel Hound and the Sleuth both replace Swift Alchemy at 4th level; and the Sleuth and Battered Detective both replace alchemy.

    Steel Hound and Battered Detective would be the closest to being compatible. Would it be kosher to go ahead and combine those two anyway?
    My DeviantArt page
    My Twitch channel! Watch me draw while I ramble about semi-related topics, every Saturday at 4:00 PM PST.
    Missed a stream? Watch it on my YouTube channel!

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Behind Blue Eyes
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Spoiler: Tarathiel's Tale
    Show
    I, uh... I was gonna write this in here, but got distracted making sure all my talents and spheres were properly accounted for. That took a LONG time. And then I found out I'm getting to see Endgame in the morning, and it's already 3am, so... I need some sleep. We'll get it done this weekend! I know I'll have time Sunday.

    Spoiler: Tarathiel's Talents
    Show
    Tarathiel's magic is focused through written out scripts, names and words of power that establish a connection to the Feywild, the land his ancestors once called home (Fey-Infused Magic). In order to cast his magic, he must have these scripts written on whatever he is performing the magic on. His magic is currently very limited (Disappearance, Bodily Enhancement), and he doesn't have the strength to extend it farther than what he is directly touching (Personal Magic). His scripts are arranged in patterns of power on the back of his vest (Focus Casting), which he keeps under a coat as often as possible to avoid drawing attention to it. If he isn't wearing his vest, he has to either write the scripts out by hand or sing the words and phrases in a fitting melody, both of which take focus (concentration check).

    Drawbacks represented
    Focus Casting (the vest)
    Disappearance
    Personal Magic*
    Fey-Infused Magic
    Bodily Enhancement

    Spheres and Talents
    Illusion - Invisibility, Muffle, Lingering Illusion, Committed Deception
    Enhancement - Mental Enhancement

    Martial talents
    Equipment: Huntsman Training
    Scout sphere - Hidden Focus, Deadly Strike
    Sniper sphere

    *Instead of taking both Personal Illusion and Personal Magics, I went with one talent to cover both. The only real difference here is that I can still affect other people with Enhancement, but I have to remain in contact with them the entire time. As calculated, I count this as 2 drawbacks, but I'll drop it back to 1 if you prefer.

    So, as I bounce around, it's been a challenge making sure I've taken the right number of things. 6 drawbacks, 2 spheres, 5 talents... This leaves me with a net gain of 2, for a bonus point now and another at 3, then 6. Martial tradition doesn't have any juggling to it, just the Canny Hunter as seen, but I used my level 2 talent to take a martial talent instead of a magic one. Did some thinking about what all he can do... He has some crazy sniping potential, and if he's not in a rush he doesn't even need to spend a lot of spell points on it. I wanted a little versatility with his magic beyond just stealth, and I figured mental enhancement gave some usefulness to both me and the party and is still pretty on theme with the fey magic.


    I was curious as to what the practical difference is between Disappearance and Obscura Mage. Can anyone tell?

    Sidenote: X number of drawbacks gives spell points at the following levels, in P6
    One: 1, 6
    Two: 1, 3, 6
    Three: 1, 3, 5
    Four: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6
    Five: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
    As you can see, the glaring gap there is if you have three. I suggest, in the instance of P6, that it also give one at level 6 to bring it back to its rightful place in the curve. (Or give at 1/2/4/6, either way it should give 4 and not 3)
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Greenflame133's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    That reminds me. Bear sphere has a talent to give bears proficiency with all simple weapons and fierarms. I really should have recreated Wojtek.
    I color is green, no I blue. Ok, ok, I think color. not sure now to call it

    Shameless self promotion in 3... 2... 1... my DA link. I got drawing, I got litterature. You have to see it

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Quote Originally Posted by Illogictree View Post
    OK, so I've done a little poking around at the mechanics. I think I want to go with Investigator for my class, and I'd like to make him a quick-draw expert and trick shooter. (I know, a Stockton who isn't just a thug with a gun? Shocking!)

    The problem I'm having is that the archetypes I've been looking at don't quite go together. The Steel Hound and the Battered Detective respectively modify and replace the base weapon and armor proficiencies; the Steel Hound and the Sleuth both replace Swift Alchemy at 4th level; and the Sleuth and Battered Detective both replace alchemy.

    Steel Hound and Battered Detective would be the closest to being compatible. Would it be kosher to go ahead and combine those two anyway?
    I think the DM has stated that Spheres archetypes don't count as clashing for any purpose? I'd have to check, though.
    I'm one of those people who ruins X-stalt/epic games for everybody who's just wanting to play legendary figures.

    Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Dread_Head's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Leeds, UK

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    So I'm thinking of building some sort of bard for this game, probably with a Mysterious Stranger Gunslinger dip. Would be a fairly standard travelling musician, making their money singing at inns and bordellos and the like. Lots of archetypes to choose from, Archaeologist, Archivist, Arcane Duelist and Knave are all tempting.

    Stat rolls:

    Spoiler: Roll 1
    Show

    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[14]



    Spoiler: Roll 2
    Show

    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[13]

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chromascope3D's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Across the spiraling sea.

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    I'm just going to make sure sure, only Vigor and Wound systems mod applies to animal companions.
    I'm sorry, I don't understand what the question is. :?

    Quote Originally Posted by Illogictree View Post
    OK, so I've done a little poking around at the mechanics. I think I want to go with Investigator for my class, and I'd like to make him a quick-draw expert and trick shooter. (I know, a Stockton who isn't just a thug with a gun? Shocking!)

    The problem I'm having is that the archetypes I've been looking at don't quite go together. The Steel Hound and the Battered Detective respectively modify and replace the base weapon and armor proficiencies; the Steel Hound and the Sleuth both replace Swift Alchemy at 4th level; and the Sleuth and Battered Detective both replace alchemy.

    Steel Hound and Battered Detective would be the closest to being compatible. Would it be kosher to go ahead and combine those two anyway?
    Since by the rules you'd be able to replace your weapon and armor proficiencies with a martial tradition anyway, I'll say it's fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    Spoiler: Tarathiel's Tale
    Show
    I, uh... I was gonna write this in here, but got distracted making sure all my talents and spheres were properly accounted for. That took a LONG time. And then I found out I'm getting to see Endgame in the morning, and it's already 3am, so... I need some sleep. We'll get it done this weekend! I know I'll have time Sunday.

    Spoiler: Tarathiel's Talents
    Show
    Tarathiel's magic is focused through written out scripts, names and words of power that establish a connection to the Feywild, the land his ancestors once called home (Fey-Infused Magic). In order to cast his magic, he must have these scripts written on whatever he is performing the magic on. His magic is currently very limited (Disappearance, Bodily Enhancement), and he doesn't have the strength to extend it farther than what he is directly touching (Personal Magic). His scripts are arranged in patterns of power on the back of his vest (Focus Casting), which he keeps under a coat as often as possible to avoid drawing attention to it. If he isn't wearing his vest, he has to either write the scripts out by hand or sing the words and phrases in a fitting melody, both of which take focus (concentration check).

    Drawbacks represented
    Focus Casting (the vest)
    Disappearance
    Personal Magic*
    Fey-Infused Magic
    Bodily Enhancement

    Spheres and Talents
    Illusion - Invisibility, Muffle, Lingering Illusion, Committed Deception
    Enhancement - Mental Enhancement

    Martial talents
    Equipment: Huntsman Training
    Scout sphere - Hidden Focus, Deadly Strike
    Sniper sphere

    *Instead of taking both Personal Illusion and Personal Magics, I went with one talent to cover both. The only real difference here is that I can still affect other people with Enhancement, but I have to remain in contact with them the entire time. As calculated, I count this as 2 drawbacks, but I'll drop it back to 1 if you prefer.

    So, as I bounce around, it's been a challenge making sure I've taken the right number of things. 6 drawbacks, 2 spheres, 5 talents... This leaves me with a net gain of 2, for a bonus point now and another at 3, then 6. Martial tradition doesn't have any juggling to it, just the Canny Hunter as seen, but I used my level 2 talent to take a martial talent instead of a magic one. Did some thinking about what all he can do... He has some crazy sniping potential, and if he's not in a rush he doesn't even need to spend a lot of spell points on it. I wanted a little versatility with his magic beyond just stealth, and I figured mental enhancement gave some usefulness to both me and the party and is still pretty on theme with the fey magic.
    Ehhh, I'm really not sure about using a vest as a focus. Part of the reasoning for choosing the drawbacks I did was to give a clear cost to magic while also making those costs consistent (in a narrative sense). The idea behind a focus was that you would have to present it to your target in order to channel your powers, which has the upside of not having to mess with any special mechanics to cast a spell, but also puts it on a single point of failure that an enemy could interact with. I plan on running NPCs along the same rules as the players, so my main issue is that, were wearable/concealable items easy enough to use as foci, there'd be no reason for anyone in the world to use riskier or more easily lost items like holy symbols/etc (which also means that melee characters would have an even harder time going about things).

    Sidenote: X number of drawbacks gives spell points at the following levels, in P6
    One: 1, 6
    Two: 1, 3, 6
    Three: 1, 3, 5
    Four: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6
    Five: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
    As you can see, the glaring gap there is if you have three. I suggest, in the instance of P6, that it also give one at level 6 to bring it back to its rightful place in the curve. (Or give at 1/2/4/6, either way it should give 4 and not 3)
    1, 2, 4, 6 for three DBs should be fine. Steve's character also has three DBs so he should make use of that as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    That reminds me. Bear sphere has a talent to give bears proficiency with all simple weapons and fierarms. I really should have recreated Wojtek.
    True, but keep in mind that the Bear Sphere was an April Fools addition, so I imagine most DMs should probably treat it like a Gonzo class, i.e. Not for the faint of heart or the serious of temperament. :P
    -~DM~-
    Fairy Tales of the Occident
    A narrative-focused weird west campaign with ghosts and samurai and stuff.
    My Art!
    Currently Playing
    Clover - Cayden's Cheerful Company (IC)
    Evelyn Kristeva - Exploration of Yrannia (IC)
    Kazik - Prologue to the End (IC)

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Greenflame133's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    There are some System Mods, how do try apply to animal companions.
    I color is green, no I blue. Ok, ok, I think color. not sure now to call it

    Shameless self promotion in 3... 2... 1... my DA link. I got drawing, I got litterature. You have to see it

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    3. Elephant in the Room

    4. We’re All Slingers Now.

    5. Combat Stamina

    7. Wounds and Vigor

    8. Automatic Bonus Progression and Wealth

    9. Skills
    Here are the system mods I think could potentially apply to animal companions. Do they get the free feats from Feat Tax? Do they get extra stat bumps for having reduced wealth? Do they get a couple extra skill points in theory?
    I'm one of those people who ruins X-stalt/epic games for everybody who's just wanting to play legendary figures.

    Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chromascope3D's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Across the spiraling sea.

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Hmm, yeah that's a good question, I didn't think about that. Well, I think Wounds and Vigor applies as normal. There is also an updated feat list for animal companions in Elephant in the Room. I'm inclined to give companions ABP equal to their HD, since it costs three talents for non-druids to pick up full HD companions anyway.
    -~DM~-
    Fairy Tales of the Occident
    A narrative-focused weird west campaign with ghosts and samurai and stuff.
    My Art!
    Currently Playing
    Clover - Cayden's Cheerful Company (IC)
    Evelyn Kristeva - Exploration of Yrannia (IC)
    Kazik - Prologue to the End (IC)

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Behind Blue Eyes
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    Ehhh, I'm really not sure about using a vest as a focus. Part of the reasoning for choosing the drawbacks I did was to give a clear cost to magic while also making those costs consistent (in a narrative sense). The idea behind a focus was that you would have to present it to your target in order to channel your powers, which has the upside of not having to mess with any special mechanics to cast a spell, but also puts it on a single point of failure that an enemy could interact with. I plan on running NPCs along the same rules as the players, so my main issue is that, were wearable/concealable items easy enough to use as foci, there'd be no reason for anyone in the world to use riskier or more easily lost items like holy symbols/etc (which also means that melee characters would have an even harder time going about things).
    Well I'm not married to the idea. I could also easily imagine that the vest needs to be visible if being used, and the writing becomes kinda obvious that way. On the other hand, the Hypnotist tradition keeps drawing my eye and seems directly in line with what you're asking for and with the setting, so I may see how I can make that work without feeling too much like a villain.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Eldest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Someplace Nice
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    So, I kept trying to make somebody who stole luck and is on the run from the consequences, but it's just not grabbing me at all. The concept is there, but it's just not taking hold and being a compelling character.

    So let's go with something completely different.

    Spoiler: Katherine de Sac
    Show

    Katherine de Sac
    "Katherine de Sac is a layabout playgirl who has never worked an honest day's work in her life. Whatever she's doing in Salt City, she's not about to start now."

    Katherine de Sac is from old, old money in the Union. More properly, she's old money from the Old World, but her family had transplanted prior to the colony's rebellion, so they get the perks of both sides of it. She grew up in a manor, as a matter of course, learning how a lady of her stature should behave. Hunting trips, fencing, managing a household, etiquette and savoir faire. The third and last child of the current patriarch of the de Sacs, she was expected to simply work her way through high society at large, advantage the family with a marriage, and then enjoy herself for the rest of her years.

    Then her brother, heir to the de Sac fortune, took a sabbatical from university and went west. Nobody that she's asked knows why, only that he said it was important, urgent even, and that it needed to be one of the family. His last letter was postmarked from Salt City. It was sent 4 months ago, and ended a streak of weekly letters home.

    Katherine has come to Salt City to find out what the devil is going on here, and she's not leaving without answers.


    And here's the hell-raising belle herself, showing up to have a good time and track down just what her elder brother is up to. I figure this is a good enough hook for the character here, but I do intend to flesh her and her family out just a bit more. Specific rules question, by the by, she's not going to be a caster, how could I still get access to occult skill unlocks? The intent was that her family, while not mages, had enough connections that she was able to dabble in the more strange avenues of natural philosophy.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-04-28 at 12:41 AM.
    LGBTA+itP

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    So, I kept trying to make somebody who stole luck and is on the run from the consequences, but it's just not grabbing me at all. The concept is there, but it's just not taking hold and being a compelling character.

    So let's go with something completely different.

    Spoiler: Katherine de Sac
    Show

    Katherine de Sac
    "Katherine de Sac is a layabout playgirl who has never worked an honest day's work in her life. Whatever she's doing in Salt City, she's not about to start now."

    Katherine de Sac is from old, old money in the Union. More properly, she's old money from the Old World, but her family had transplanted prior to the colony's rebellion, so they get the perks of both sides of it. She grew up in a manor, as a matter of course, learning how a lady of her stature should behave. Hunting trips, fencing, managing a household, etiquette and savoir faire. The third and last child of the current patriarch of the de Sacs, she was expected to simply work her way through high society at large, advantage the family with a marriage, and then enjoy herself for the rest of her years.

    Then her brother, heir to the de Sac fortune, took a sabbatical from university and went west. Nobody that she's asked knows why, only that he said it was important, urgent even, and that it needed to be one of the family. His last letter was postmarked from Salt City. It was sent 4 months ago, and ended a streak of weekly letters home.

    Katherine has come to Salt City to find out what the devil is going on here, and she's not leaving without answers.


    And here's the hell-raising belle herself, showing up to have a good time and track down just what her elder brother is up to. I figure this is a good enough hook for the character here, but I do intend to flesh her and her family out just a bit more. Specific rules question, by the by, she's not going to be a caster, how could I still get access to occult skill unlocks? The intent was that her family, while not mages, had enough connections that she was able to dabble in the more strange avenues of natural philosophy.
    The first line of that link mentions the feat Psychic Sensitivity.
    I'm one of those people who ruins X-stalt/epic games for everybody who's just wanting to play legendary figures.

    Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Eldest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Someplace Nice
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    The first line of that link mentions the feat Psychic Sensitivity.
    Reading comprehension is apparently not my strong suit! Thank you.
    LGBTA+itP

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    How long do you intend on submissions being open for, Chroma?

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chromascope3D's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Across the spiraling sea.

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    Well I'm not married to the idea. I could also easily imagine that the vest needs to be visible if being used, and the writing becomes kinda obvious that way. On the other hand, the Hypnotist tradition keeps drawing my eye and seems directly in line with what you're asking for and with the setting, so I may see how I can make that work without feeling too much like a villain.
    Could work; mesmerist is one of my favorite classes so anything that's adjacent to that is no big issue. :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    So, I kept trying to make somebody who stole luck and is on the run from the consequences, but it's just not grabbing me at all. The concept is there, but it's just not taking hold and being a compelling character.

    So let's go with something completely different.

    Spoiler: Katherine de Sac
    Show

    Katherine de Sac
    "Katherine de Sac is a layabout playgirl who has never worked an honest day's work in her life. Whatever she's doing in Salt City, she's not about to start now."

    Katherine de Sac is from old, old money in the Union. More properly, she's old money from the Old World, but her family had transplanted prior to the colony's rebellion, so they get the perks of both sides of it. She grew up in a manor, as a matter of course, learning how a lady of her stature should behave. Hunting trips, fencing, managing a household, etiquette and savoir faire. The third and last child of the current patriarch of the de Sacs, she was expected to simply work her way through high society at large, advantage the family with a marriage, and then enjoy herself for the rest of her years.

    Then her brother, heir to the de Sac fortune, took a sabbatical from university and went west. Nobody that she's asked knows why, only that he said it was important, urgent even, and that it needed to be one of the family. His last letter was postmarked from Salt City. It was sent 4 months ago, and ended a streak of weekly letters home.

    Katherine has come to Salt City to find out what the devil is going on here, and she's not leaving without answers.


    And here's the hell-raising belle herself, showing up to have a good time and track down just what her elder brother is up to. I figure this is a good enough hook for the character here, but I do intend to flesh her and her family out just a bit more. Specific rules question, by the by, she's not going to be a caster, how could I still get access to occult skill unlocks? The intent was that her family, while not mages, had enough connections that she was able to dabble in the more strange avenues of natural philosophy.
    Looking pretty good so far. Yeah, I allowed it so that anyone with a SoP progression gets Psychic Sensitivity for free, but anyone can still take the feat. You should also take note of the last bulletpoint in #6, which buffs occult skill unlocks to allow more usability.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneHawk View Post
    How long do you intend on submissions being open for, Chroma?
    Well, I know I'm going to be busy next weekend, so to give everyone time to work out their characters/stories/etc., I'll say Thurs. May 16.
    -~DM~-
    Fairy Tales of the Occident
    A narrative-focused weird west campaign with ghosts and samurai and stuff.
    My Art!
    Currently Playing
    Clover - Cayden's Cheerful Company (IC)
    Evelyn Kristeva - Exploration of Yrannia (IC)
    Kazik - Prologue to the End (IC)

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Not quite done picking equipment, but otherwise, my character is ready.

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Behind Blue Eyes
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    Could work; mesmerist is one of my favorite classes so anything that's adjacent to that is no big issue. :P
    Okay, I tried to make it work. Then I tried to set the character aside and come up with a new character built around Mesmerist or Eliciter. I looked at Fey Adept too because I like it, but none of these are resonating with me. I know if I want a sniper character, then I really want Invisibility (I don't want to be stuck as a sniper with no way to hide myself, like in a desert), but I don't want to be stuck feeling like a one-trick pony... I'm gonna give this a longer look.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Prince George, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    OK, so it's not done yet, but as promised I've been working on my character. He's shaping up pretty nicely so far.

    I'm trying to assemble his Martial Tradition at the moment. Is this OK?

    Cowboy Tradition
    -Outrider Training (Equipment)
    -Fast Draw (Equipment)
    -Either Barrage Sphere or Sniper Sphere
    -Beastmastery Sphere

    Here's what I have for mechanics so far:
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1896550

    Bio for this wunderkind will be forthcoming once I finalize his Talents.
    My DeviantArt page
    My Twitch channel! Watch me draw while I ramble about semi-related topics, every Saturday at 4:00 PM PST.
    Missed a stream? Watch it on my YouTube channel!

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    I can't find rules regarding mount sizes, so figured I'd ask for DM adjudication: how weird/difficult would it be for a goblin to ride a horse?
    I'm one of those people who ruins X-stalt/epic games for everybody who's just wanting to play legendary figures.

    Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chromascope3D's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Across the spiraling sea.

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Quote Originally Posted by RoTWS View Post
    Not quite done picking equipment, but otherwise, my character is ready.
    okay!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    Okay, I tried to make it work. Then I tried to set the character aside and come up with a new character built around Mesmerist or Eliciter. I looked at Fey Adept too because I like it, but none of these are resonating with me. I know if I want a sniper character, then I really want Invisibility (I don't want to be stuck as a sniper with no way to hide myself, like in a desert), but I don't want to be stuck feeling like a one-trick pony... I'm gonna give this a longer look.
    Alright! I mean, it is an american styled desert, so there's lots of cliffs and rocks and scrubbrush to hide behind, but I'm also not going to say no to a dynamic character. :p

    Quote Originally Posted by Illogictree View Post
    OK, so it's not done yet, but as promised I've been working on my character. He's shaping up pretty nicely so far.

    I'm trying to assemble his Martial Tradition at the moment. Is this OK?

    Cowboy Tradition
    -Outrider Training (Equipment)
    -Fast Draw (Equipment)
    -Either Barrage Sphere or Sniper Sphere
    -Beastmastery Sphere

    Here's what I have for mechanics so far:
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1896550

    Bio for this wunderkind will be forthcoming once I finalize his Talents.
    Noted! Tradition is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    I can't find rules regarding mount sizes, so figured I'd ask for DM adjudication: how weird/difficult would it be for a goblin to ride a horse?
    The only thing I could find is the ride skill, which mentions that characters can't fast mount/dismount creatures that are two sizes larger than them, which could possibly be important, but otherwise in fine.
    -~DM~-
    Fairy Tales of the Occident
    A narrative-focused weird west campaign with ghosts and samurai and stuff.
    My Art!
    Currently Playing
    Clover - Cayden's Cheerful Company (IC)
    Evelyn Kristeva - Exploration of Yrannia (IC)
    Kazik - Prologue to the End (IC)

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1895251

    Mechanics are mostly done. Veeery barebones sheet though. I also can't find art that I really like for her, although I did find this for her master which is top tier.
    Last edited by Get; 2019-04-29 at 12:17 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Behind Blue Eyes
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Basically, your mount needs to be at least one size category larger. If it's a flying mount, it needs to be carrying a light load (any mount prefers a light load though). If it's more than one category larger, you can't fast mount/dismount. That's about all there is on relative size.

    EDIT: My character clicked. I am going Hypnotist tradition with a focus on the Mind sphere, but keeping the invisibility talent. Question though: How does Skilled Casting relate to taking 10? Can it be done?
    Last edited by The Kool; 2019-04-29 at 06:43 PM.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chromascope3D's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Across the spiraling sea.

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Quote Originally Posted by Get View Post
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1895251

    Mechanics are mostly done. Veeery barebones sheet though. I also can't find art that I really like for her, although I did find this for her master which is top tier.
    That is pretty top tier art, ngl.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    Basically, your mount needs to be at least one size category larger. If it's a flying mount, it needs to be carrying a light load (any mount prefers a light load though). If it's more than one category larger, you can't fast mount/dismount. That's about all there is on relative size.

    EDIT: My character clicked. I am going Hypnotist tradition with a focus on the Mind sphere, but keeping the invisibility talent. Question though: How does Skilled Casting relate to taking 10? Can it be done?
    Yes, I think you can take 10 on spellcasting skill checks whenever you have the ability to usually do so, i.e. when not distracted or in combat.

    On that same note, a PM made me realize that I should actually flesh out my specific ideas on how magic specifically works in this world, so I've created a new lore section regarding it.

    Also, on a totally different note, I've noticed that only one person has picked a faith so far. I do encourage everyone to browse through and see if anything does stick out that could be an influence on their characters. I dunno how important religion is going to be to the potential game just yet, but it is a setting based on 19th century America so all of your characters would at least have some grounding in it, whether or not you're a true believer in your denomination or simply happened to be raised in it and couldn't care less otherwise. For example, I noticed two people separately chose some combination of freedom/wealth/individualism as their loyalties, which happens to be right in line with the Meyerite's creed... ;)
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-04-30 at 12:09 AM.
    -~DM~-
    Fairy Tales of the Occident
    A narrative-focused weird west campaign with ghosts and samurai and stuff.
    My Art!
    Currently Playing
    Clover - Cayden's Cheerful Company (IC)
    Evelyn Kristeva - Exploration of Yrannia (IC)
    Kazik - Prologue to the End (IC)

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Eldest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Someplace Nice
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    That is pretty top tier art, ngl.
    I love the color and the situation, but her pose just looks like it hurts, gonna be honest.

    Also, I totally forgot to say it in Katherine's summery so far but her family is going to have close ties to the Sophists, with donations and patronage offered in exchange for assistance in studying matters in discretion. I'll make sure it goes into the finalized form. I was tempted to have them be Meyerites but... oddly enough I decided against it because they're old money, not new. They don't need some newfangled church telling them they deserve to be rich: obviously they deserve to be rich, otherwise the Authority wouldn't have granted them this privilege.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-04-30 at 12:29 AM.
    LGBTA+itP

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chromascope3D's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Across the spiraling sea.

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    I love the color and the situation, but her pose just looks like it hurts, gonna be honest.
    Oh, I meant the samurai cowboy art they linked for her master.

    Also, I totally forgot to say it in Katherine's summery so far but her family is going to have close ties to the Sophists, with donations and patronage offered in exchange for assistance in studying matters in discretion. I'll make sure it goes into the finalized form. I was tempted to have them be Meyerites but... oddly enough I decided against it because they're old money, not new. They don't need some newfangled church telling them they deserve to be rich: obviously they deserve to be rich, otherwise the Authority wouldn't have granted them this privilege.
    Sounds good! Another faith that's common among old money families is the Just Crusade, primarily those aristocrats with chivalric lineages, but also among those that don't for glamour purposes to give the appearance that they do.
    -~DM~-
    Fairy Tales of the Occident
    A narrative-focused weird west campaign with ghosts and samurai and stuff.
    My Art!
    Currently Playing
    Clover - Cayden's Cheerful Company (IC)
    Evelyn Kristeva - Exploration of Yrannia (IC)
    Kazik - Prologue to the End (IC)

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Spoiler: Vogun
    Show


    I'm getting through the minutiae of gear Vogun's got, and hammering out details of his backstory, including faith and loyalties. I also have a dumb question: in this page, "Combat Training for Non-Spheres of Might Classes" provides a way for non-practitioners to gain a talent progression. Does this talent progression come with a Martial Tradition?
    I'm one of those people who ruins X-stalt/epic games for everybody who's just wanting to play legendary figures.

    Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Behind Blue Eyes
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    I've stewed on the magic a bit more, and while I feel like I may have abused the drawbacks a bit (I wound up with... *counts* 10 talents?) it lends itself to a very flavorful and distinct style of magic I really enjoy thinking about, and it's starting to shape my character as more than a gun-wielder. I need to dig into the setting to find his exact place in it, but the word that made it click is this: Inquisitor. With a focus on the mind sphere and a touch of Invisibility, his magic is aimed at extracting information, through interrogation if need be, and then covering his tracks completely, up to and including removing the memories of the interrogation.

    EDIT: I can picture this guy in my head. I just can't find art that's even remotely close.
    Last edited by The Kool; 2019-04-30 at 08:12 AM.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    I love the color and the situation, but her pose just looks like it hurts, gonna be honest.

    Also, I totally forgot to say it in Katherine's summery so far but her family is going to have close ties to the Sophists, with donations and patronage offered in exchange for assistance in studying matters in discretion. I'll make sure it goes into the finalized form. I was tempted to have them be Meyerites but... oddly enough I decided against it because they're old money, not new. They don't need some newfangled church telling them they deserve to be rich: obviously they deserve to be rich, otherwise the Authority wouldn't have granted them this privilege.
    There's all kinds of things wrong with the picture I used for her, no disagreement there.

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Eldest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Someplace Nice
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Fairy Tales of the Occident (Pathfinder P6 Western, Spheres)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    I've stewed on the magic a bit more, and while I feel like I may have abused the drawbacks a bit (I wound up with... *counts* 10 talents?) it lends itself to a very flavorful and distinct style of magic I really enjoy thinking about, and it's starting to shape my character as more than a gun-wielder. I need to dig into the setting to find his exact place in it, but the word that made it click is this: Inquisitor. With a focus on the mind sphere and a touch of Invisibility, his magic is aimed at extracting information, through interrogation if need be, and then covering his tracks completely, up to and including removing the memories of the interrogation.

    EDIT: I can picture this guy in my head. I just can't find art that's even remotely close.
    Just to make sure here. General drawbacks don't mess with talents, they give you extra spell points. Sphere specific drawbacks can give you extra talents, but you have to spend a talent unlocking the sphere anyway. At max, you should have 2 talents from having a casting progression and 2 from levels.
    LGBTA+itP

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •