1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Should I See Captain Marvel?

Iím not planning to see Avengers tonight or tomorrow, and Captain Marvel is still around, so Iím wondering if itís all that necessary for me to see it before I get around to the Avengers.

Iím pretty unmotivated about both movies, but I at least want to see Avengers out of a faint curiosity to see what happens. The question is, will there be any information, reveals, etc. in Captain Marvel that Iíd need to fully appreciate the Avengers?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Should I See Captain Marvel?

If you are referring to Avengers Endgame. No it is not necessary to watch Captain Marvel before Endgame. You will see the character and not know her backstory but her backstory is not necessary to "understand" Captain Marvel to understand Avengers Endgame.

Honestly it is more important to watch Ant Man 1 and Ant Man 2 to understand what is happening. Unless you are just okay with magic and technology to do magical things and you can say "A Wizard Did It."

Likewise watching Avengers 2 and Avengers 3 is more important to understand what is happening.

But seriously Captain Marvel is like the 2nd least important movie to see in the MCU before Endgame, with only the 2008 Incredible Hulk being even less important.

-----

Now Captain Marvel is a good movie in its own right, even though its style is different than many other MCU movies that take place on Earth.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

It's unlikely to be really nessesary- the characters who know who Captian marvel is, are dead (Coulsen, avengers1), dusted (Nick Fury, Infinity war), and Powerstoned (Ronan and his male blue leutenant, GotG1)

Because noone in universe knows who she is, Endgame will have to explain anything plot relevant.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2019-04-25 at 04:32 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Itís unlikely to be important, thatís sort of the real secret to these movues. Unless itís part of the same mini franchise itís never really important to the rest of the universe. And the movie was fairly ok so itís worth catching eventually.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

It's never "necessary" to watch any other Marvel movies

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, thanks, folks. I wasn't looking forward to sitting through it, so that's one less chore.

The reason I asked is because I saw Black Panther the last day it was in the theater, and I did feel like it added something to my viewing of Infinity War. Doesn't look like that would hold true for this one, though.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not required watching,but it is a pretty funny and enjoyable film.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

8. - Top - End - #8

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Okay, thanks, folks. I wasn't looking forward to sitting through it, so that's one less chore.

The reason I asked is because I saw Black Panther the last day it was in the theater, and I did feel like it added something to my viewing of Infinity War. Doesn't look like that would hold true for this one, though.
    It will certainly *add* to your experience, that is 100% true. But it's not necessary to follow the plot of the movie or grasp instant character motivations.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Should you? Yes.

Do you need to? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Iím not planning to see Avengers tonight or tomorrow, and Captain Marvel is still around, so Iím wondering if itís all that necessary for me to see it before I get around to the Avengers.

Iím pretty unmotivated about both movies, but I at least want to see Avengers out of a faint curiosity to see what happens. The question is, will there be any information, reveals, etc. in Captain Marvel that Iíd need to fully appreciate the Avengers?
    Sheriff: Spoilered for saftey
    Spoiler
    Show

She appears less than 15 minutes in Endgame and nothing in Captain Marvel is necessary to understand the plot. Literally the only 2 things you need to know are that Fury called her (which you already know from the Infinity War stinger), and that she can fly in space without a ship. If you haven't seen it at this point then skip it, its one of Marvel's weakest movies to date.

Ant-Man and the Wasp or Guardians of the Galaxy are FAR more necessary to understand the plot, but you can still get by without seeing either of them.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2019-04-26 at 11:15 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Hmm, I dunno. For the big ones you need to at least get a plot summary to keep abreast of developments. I can't really imagine watching Civil War without having seen Age of Ultron, for example. So much of the former is rooted in the events of the latter.

Generally speaking, it feels like the origin stories are mostly kept compact and separate, while the ensemble movies do hook into each other pretty deeply.

12. - Top - End - #12

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Hmm, I dunno. For the big ones you need to at least get a plot summary to keep abreast of developments. I can't really imagine watching Civil War without having seen Age of Ultron, for example. So much of the former is rooted in the events of the latter.

Generally speaking, it feels like the origin stories are mostly kept compact and separate, while the ensemble movies do hook into each other pretty deeply.
    Nah. What needs to be understood about Age of Ultron is made clear in Civil War. Again, more context makes you appreciate the movie more, but the only think you need to know about Sokovia is that "lots of people were endangered because of the Avengers".

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    snip
    Why are you posting random Endgame spoilers in a thread full of people who explicitly haven't seen the movie? Sure it's minor, but still. At this point I've had half the movie spoiled for me from stuff like this and it's not even released where I am.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2019-04-26 at 06:26 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I watched Civil War without having watched Ultron, First Avenger, IM3, or Winter Soldier and didn't have any trouble. As long as you're even vaguely aware of what films you've missed, you haven't really missed anything. (With the obvious exception that watching Endgame without Infinity War would put the viewer way behind the curve.)

See Captain Marvel if you want to watch a buddy cop movie with a side order of space marine. It doesn't add much of immediate relevance to the MCU context that you didn't already know from the title - it's not like
    Spoiler
    Show
    the Skrulls
    are gonna be relevant in Endgame.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

A friend posted a spoiler-free review of Endgame, encouraging everyone to see it. I asked if it was necessary to see the first six movies (joke, I dunno how many there are). He said no, just Infinity War.

So your analysis appears to be spot on.
    Cuthalion's avatars rock. Like this very fine dragon he made me.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Honestly it is more important to watch Ant Man 1 and Ant Man 2 to understand what is happening.
    That is the one thing that I didn't want to hear.
    -~DM~-
    Fairy Tales of the Occident
    A narrative-focused weird west campaign with ghosts and samurai and stuff.
    My Art!
    Currently Playing
    Clover - Cayden's Cheerful Company (IC)
    Evelyn Kristeva - Exploration of Yrannia (IC)
    Kazik - Prologue to the End (IC)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think that if you have a shot, that you should definitely ask her out.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    That is the one thing that I didn't want to hear.
    Having just seen Endgame, you don't need to see ant-man to enjoy it and understand what's happening. You'll have a slightly deeper understanding of what's happening behind the scenes if you've watched the ant-man stuff, but it's explained to a perfectly acceptable level in Endgame without needing to see them. If you don't have any interest in ant-man, don't watch them, it won't hurt your endgame experience.
    Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave, they live forever.

A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by darkrose50 View Post
    I wish we could like comments here

Quote Originally Posted by Warlawk View Post
    Having just seen Endgame, you don't need to see ant-man to enjoy it and understand what's happening. You'll have a slightly deeper understanding of what's happening behind the scenes if you've watched the ant-man stuff, but it's explained to a perfectly acceptable level in Endgame without needing to see them. If you don't have any interest in ant-man, don't watch them, it won't hurt your endgame experience.
    Oh good. I didn't watch Ant-Man 1 before Civil War and I don't think I missed anything with his inclusion. It seemed pretty self explanatory who he was, so I was hoping it would be the same here. Granted, I did watch it eventually, and it was alright, but I don't feel compelled to watch any more.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-04-26 at 10:01 AM.
    -~DM~-
    Fairy Tales of the Occident
    A narrative-focused weird west campaign with ghosts and samurai and stuff.
    My Art!
    Currently Playing
    Clover - Cayden's Cheerful Company (IC)
    Evelyn Kristeva - Exploration of Yrannia (IC)
    Kazik - Prologue to the End (IC)

20. - Top - End - #20

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    A friend posted a spoiler-free review of Endgame, encouraging everyone to see it. I asked if it was necessary to see the first six movies (joke, I dunno how many there are). He said no, just Infinity War.

So your analysis appears to be spot on.
    It's the secret of the MCU's success. You never need to watch the other movies to grasp what's happening. So you are not turned off by it.

However, it makes you feel like you would get something out of watching them. The ultimate impact being instead of turning you off to the movie you are watching now, it turns you on to other movies you haven't watched yet.

Compare the Avengers to BvS. One is a simple straightforward pop culture adventure with wacky characters who are basically doing a PR stunt for their respective franchises.

The other is a lot of convoluted plot that foreshadowed plot points of future movies that might never get made in the first place. We are lucky we got Aquaman.

Moviebob said it perfectly in his endgame review, talking about Infinity War: "the fact that even in the so-called climax of this so called 20 movie buildup needed to spent the majority of the movie explaining the main villain we've known about for 16 movies because we don't really know anything about him prior to Infinity War"

Marvel movie gives the illusion of a massive story arc, and that's part of the fun. But every movies are a self contained event.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    Oh good. I didn't watch Ant-Man 1 before Civil War and I don't think I missed anything with his inclusion. It seemed pretty self explanatory who he was, so I was hoping it would be the same here. Granted, I did watch it eventually, and it was alright, but I don't feel compelled to watch any more.
    It is not necessary to see Ant-Man 2 prior to Endgame. Only reason necessary to see Ant-Man 2 prior to Endgame is two things.

1) Understand who Scott Lang is, and Ant Man 1 does far more about that and you seen enough of Scott Lang via Civil War. Needing to see Ant Man 1 before Civil War is actually more important (aka it is not important but we are only organizing the not important stuff.) So feel free to not understand who Scott Lang is, for understanding who he is, is not important to the movie when you have half a dozen plus protagonists
    2) You may want to know why techno magic operates but like I said earlier techno magic understanding is not important if you merely accept a Wizard did It, or Marvel Scientist / Engineer did It. That said if you want to get 90% of the tie-in to Endgame instead of 100% you only need to watch 2 mins of the post credit scene of Ant Man and the Wasp which is not about the movie, but instead is that teaser-bait to endgame.

Well here is that 2 minute post credit scene, plus another 30 seconds joke scene.

-----

As you can see this stuff is not important to see prior to Endgame. And Captain Marvel is even less important to see her movie prior to Endgame. Captain Marvel is a character who is important, but you do not need to understand her backstory to understand her in Endgame. Captain Marvel backstory is interesting in its own right, but it is not necessary prior to Endgame. Yes there is some connection to endgame but it is merely 5 minutes or so of Carol in Infinity War and Captain Marvel which "teasers-bait / tie-ins" meant to get you hyped for Endgame.

Production wise, much of Carol's Scenes in Endgame are actually filmed prior to her own Movie being filmed. Though some of the heavy special effect action scenes occurred after Captain Marvel since all the movies use the same production house for special effects.

You are Good, enjoy the Endgame!
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

It's the secret of the MCU's success. You never need to watch the other movies to grasp what's happening. So you are not turned off by it.
    I like that, because the first Avengers turned me off the Avengers.

23. - Top - End - #23

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I like that, because the first Avengers turned me off the Avengers.
    Awwww you so special

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Awwww you so special
    I do be!

For reals, though, that wasn't sarcasm; my friends have told me I may like the new one, and the only pre-req for it is Infinity War, which is significantly more appealing than having to go through the entire catalog so far. That's a nice system.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, Captain Marvel was really not used well for most of the film and not properly introduced in Endgame, so it would help to watch Captain Marvel to make her appearance not feel like a Deus Ex Machina. Otherwise, if you're okay with characters just showing up out of the blue and just being there and being part of the team, you should be fine. The same thing happens with Ant-Man and other characters anyway.

The thing is, the MCU is like a TV show more than a regular film franchise. Watching Endgame without any of the other films is like watching Season 8 of Game of Thrones without having seen any of the other Seasons. You can do it! You'll just miss out on a lot of context.

But the film's okay, so maybe that'll make up for it.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I didn't see Captain Marvel and I enjoyed Endgame just fine.
    The only thing you have to know about her is that she is just "very powerful". You don't need her movie to understand that: it is made plenty clear in her first scene in Endgame.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Originaly Posted by Lethologica
    See Captain Marvel if you want to watch a buddy cop movie with a side order of space marine.
    Thanks. This is a great non-spoiler summary, and helps me feel good about passing on this one.

Originally Posted by darkrose50
    Sorry, she punches above my weight.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Originaly Posted by Lethologica
    See Captain Marvel if you want to watch a buddy cop movie with a side order of space marine.

This is so spot on!! Really the sum up in one line lol. Awesome!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You donít really need to see Captain Marvel for Endgame, although I would highly recommend it on its own merits. For that matter, as someone who saw Endgame without seeing Antman and the Wasp, itís not super necessary to watch that either.

Peeleeís Lotsey