New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: would lava crush a fireproof person?

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Does it help to clarify that death by crushing doesn't necessarily mean eyes popping, bones ground to dust, and flattened into a pancake?
    It depends on the lava, pāhoehoe is less viscous.

Or this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Nyiragongo#Geology

The lava emitted in eruptions at Nyiragongo is often unusually fluid. Nyiragongo's lavas are made of melilite nephelinite, an alkali-rich type of volcanic rock whose unusual chemical composition may be a factor in the unusual fluidity of the lavas there. Whereas most lava flows move rather slowly and rarely pose a danger to human life, Nyiragongo's lava flows may race downhill at up to 100 km/h (60 mph). This is because of the extremely low silica content (the lava is mafic). Hawaiian volcanic eruptions are also characterized by lavas with low silica content, but the Hawaiian volcanoes are broad, shallow-sloped shield volcanoes in contrast to the steep-sided cone of Nyiragongo, and the silica content is high enough to slow most Hawaiian flows to walking pace.
    Some people seem to be thinking exclusively about the most viscous, barely moving lava, but not all lava is like that.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-05-21 at 08:51 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #32

Thick lava like that won't move out of the way as you try to breathe, so your death would be less 'crushing' and more 'suffocating', similar to someone trapped in a grain bin.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Thick lava like that won't move out of the way as you try to breathe, so your death would be less 'crushing' and more 'suffocating', similar to someone trapped in a grain bin.
    Where did you get "thick" from out of "flows at 60 mph"?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Lava is around one fifth as viscous as molasses, and twice as dense. Since the great molasses flood moved at 35mph, I would say those numbers check out. It's still one to three times as thick as a milkshake, no matter how fast it can flow.

Another thing to think about is the pressure differential, if you're floating to the surface faster than 1 meter/minute the bends could be be a serious issue. Survive the crushing force and the otherworldly heat, die to fizzy blood.
    "The error is to be human"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Spojaz View Post
    Lava is around one fifth as viscous as molasses, and twice as dense. Since the great molasses flood moved at 35mph, I would say those numbers check out. It's still one to three times as thick as a milkshake, no matter how fast it can flow
    It varies. Not all lava is the same.

nother thing to think about is the pressure differential, if you're floating to the surface faster than 1 meter/minute the bends could be be a serious issue. Survive the crushing force and the otherworldly heat, die to fizzy blood.
    Make your mind up, too thick to move, or the bends from moving too fast, I suggest you can't have both in the same lava.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Some people seem to be thinking exclusively about the most viscous, barely moving lava
    Sorry, I should've quoted the part I was responding to.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

You can get high flow rates in high viscosity liquids (see: the molasses flood). On top of that when the standard of comparison is water the viscosity doesn't need to be that high before it starts impeding those in it significantly further.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

If it was dense enough to easily crush you wouldn't that same high density make you too bouyant to get to a depth where you'd be crushed
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Well that is also true of a fair number of constrictor snake kills. They just prevent the expansion associated with breathing and move in tighter when their victim breathes out at all. . . and those are usually considered a "crushing" type death by most people even if one can/should dispute it on technicality. Then again the whole placing rocks on someone's chest until they do as you want or die is also generally classified as a "crushing" death but would really be about preventing the expansion of the lungs and thus a "suffocation" in some way....

so I think calling it a "crushing" death is pretty valid even if the super high density just means you can not draw air into your lungs and asphyxiate.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    If it was dense enough to easily crush you wouldn't that same high density make you too bouyant to get to a depth where you'd be crushed
    It's also too viscous for you to easily move through, so if the lava was poured on top of you you'd get crushed long before you could float up to the surface.

11. - Top - End - #41

Yup. Grain silos, again.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It's also too viscous for you to easily move through, so if the lava was poured on top of you you'd get crushed long before you could float up to the surface.
    The pressure in a liquid is omnidirectional, and if the top is exposed to air, depends on depth. We've agreed that the pressure gets up to trouble levels at about 100ft deep, that much poured on you without you being moved sideways is unlikely.

Yup. Grain silos, again.
    Grain is a collection of solids, and probably lighter than a person due to the gaps between grains and the husks.

13. - Top - End - #43

But the viscosity means that even though it's "solid", you can't make any headway against whatever the bin is filled with. Soybeans are worst, IME.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

But the viscosity means that even though it's "solid", you can't make any headway against whatever the bin is filled with. Soybeans are worst, IME.
    You have experience of drowning in Soya? Are you dead?

15. - Top - End - #45

Yes and no, thanks to the safety line and someone paying attention. Never neglect your safety precautions.

Did kill any interest I had in helping on the family farm, though.

16. - Top - End - #46

Pouring is a different matter. You could crush a person with ordinary water if you poured enough of it from high enough
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

17. - Top - End - #47
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Pouring is a different matter. You could crush a person with ordinary water if you poured enough of it from high enough
    I would hope it would be obvious that I'm not talking about pouring the stuff from such a height that it kills just because of the speed it hits.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

The low density is also a problem there. In water you're about neutrally buoyant, which makes swimming doable. If you were to fall in a vat of oil though, you're way below neutrally buoyant and drowning because you can't swim up is a vastly bigger risk.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

19. - Top - End - #49

I would hope it would be obvious that I'm not talking about pouring the stuff from such a height that it kills just because of the speed it hits.
    Well if it's slowly pouring in and super-thick to float up in they could probably climb up it

Omegaupdate Forum