New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Greenhilt afterlife conundrum.

there is no way miko is going to mount celstia.
    She is lawful stupid.
    if tiamat believes wht sh is doing is good, it doea not make it good.
    same applies to Miko.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    No.

[bolding mine]

—Caerulea
    The nice fact about this for the Greenhilts is that Celia, in theory, could visit Roy after he croaks.

EDIT: I do not feel so sure about Miko being lawful. To what moral code was she adhering? "I am awesome, and you are all setting me up" doesn't strike me as one. True Neutral would be my (charitable) guess.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2019-04-29 at 04:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #33

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    The nice fact about this for the Greenhilts is that Celia, in theory, could visit Roy after he croaks.

EDIT: I do not feel so sure about Miko being lawful. To what moral code was she adhering? "I am awesome, and you are all setting me up" doesn't strike me as one. True Neutral would be my (charitable) guess.
    I was thinking more lawful evil, she believes a code and strictly adheres to it, but will twist it to get her desired outcome. But true neutral wrks too
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    And that is different from ruleslawyering her alignment how?
    Intent and execution, I'd say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    While that may well be a sentiment that Miko and a certain elf with goblin prisoners may hold, do you actually believe that such is a general argument that is accepted by most Good characters/gods in the OotsVerse?
    Well, she stayed a Paladin until she cut down Shojo, so...
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #35

The OotSverse is blatantly unfair, so any claim that "X should work like Y because otherwise it'd be unfair" have no grounding whatsoever.

Also, Eugene is officially Lawful Good, as far as I'm aware, and despite everything we've ever seen of him.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post

"Death to evildoers" is a code. She clearly has a very rigid view of the world and how it ought to be. Also, it's worth remembering that we only saw a small part of her life - a Paladin can fall from one action, but it won't necessarily change their alignment. Most of her interactions with the OOTS were plainly from a lawful perspective, fixated on small and big rules.

To a certain extent her conspiracy-theories were a symptom of her excessive lawfulness, since she was obsessed with the idea that the entire world was run according to these rigid systems when it actually wasn't.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    The OotSverse is blatantly unfair, so any claim that "X should work like Y because otherwise it'd be unfair" have no grounding whatsoever.

Also, Eugene is officially Lawful Good, as far as I'm aware, and despite everything we've ever seen of him.
    Eugene considers himself LG, hence why he went to Celestia. He hasn't had his interview yet, because of the outstanding blood oath. Just like Roy almost got kicked down based on his actions, despite considering himself LG, Eugene almost certainly will actually get kicked down to true neutral.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Killing Evil creatures regardless of why apparently is enough to count as Good, but I wouldnt call it right or just.
    Pretty sure the Giant has said the exact opposite- that killing evil creatures for no good reason can actually make you change alignment in the wrong direction.

Well, admittedly, what he said was closer to "evil races are not INHERENTLY evil so their are Neutral and even Good aligned members of every race, particularly their children", which is why per Word of Giant the Paladins' who killed Redcloaks goblins all Fell when they massacred them.

Even so, I don't think there is anything in this comic that says that killing an evil creature without a good reason or at least a reasonable suspicion is anything other than Evil itself.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

If O-Chul or Hinjo screwed up royally (well, commonly, in O-Chul's case) at the end of their lives, that one screw-up might not be enough to shift them out of Lawful Good. But while Miko was good for most of her life, she was never very good. Even at her best, she tended to value Law over Good (see, for instance, the mattress tag). When you're close to the line, it doesn't take much to move you over it.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

10. - Top - End - #40

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    "Death to evildoers" is a code. She clearly has a very rigid view of the world and how it ought to be. Also, it's worth remembering that we only saw a small part of her life - a Paladin can fall from one action, but it won't necessarily change their alignment. Most of her interactions with the OOTS were plainly from a lawful perspective, fixated on small and big rules.

To a certain extent her conspiracy-theories were a symptom of her excessive lawfulness, since she was obsessed with the idea that the entire world was run according to these rigid systems when it actually wasn't.
    That's why I think she did lose her Good status at the end. Roy already gave a pretty decent summing up of how she didn't really follow the precepts of Lawful Good here. Just following the letter of the alignment isn't good enough. She was fairly Lawful (except for the "taking the law into her own hands" moment at the end), but the only Good she really did, as Peelee points out, was killing Evil beings. I believe she was borderline Good, and the act of killing Shojo pushed her off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by masamune1 View Post
    Pretty sure the Giant has said the exact opposite- that killing evil creatures for no good reason can actually make you change alignment in the wrong direction.

Well, admittedly, what he said was closer to "evil races are not INHERENTLY evil so their are Neutral and even Good aligned members of every race, particularly their children", which is why per Word of Giant the Paladins' who killed Redcloaks goblins all Fell when they massacred them.
    That's not what he said, and that's not what he said.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    huh.
    Are all wizards in oots neutral?
    V
    Roy's sister
    Eugene
    Dourkan was a good guy.

13. - Top - End - #43

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Dourkan was a good guy.
    Long lost cousin of Durkon and Dorukan?
    Namer Of MitD Threads

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Long lost cousin of Durkon and Dorukan?
    That, or a eastern ruler with an unpleasant personality.
    I has Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    ...(Also, once again we see one of the fundamental rules of this board - threads allowed to continue will inevitably tend toward talking about Miko)

....Or Star Wars.

Or, what if Miko had been a character in Star Wars??

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    ...this is a thread about a magic meme, there needs to be a version of Godwin's Law that relates to Star Wars...

It only took 26 posts to turn this into another thread about Star Wars.

Impressive. Most impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by nolongeralurker View Post
    ...All roads/strips lead to Familicide and Star Wars, I see...

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    ....I suspect we have Lucas's Law at work here - a parallel law to Godwin's...

Quote Originally Posted by RedfortheRogues View Post
    This is an interesting thread; first you talk about OOTS, then Redwall, which is followed by King Arther, then Lord of the Rings, THEN the hardness of different metals, then some more about Lord of the Rings, throw in another Redwall Refrence, Some more King Arthur, then end it with metals again. Oh, and this post. I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Forget Godwin's law, at the Playground most sufficiently long enough threads touch on:

1) Star Wars

2) Lord of the Rings

3) Grammar

I for one welcome our continuing obsessions.

I vote we call it 9HPAvg's law

Unfortunately my efforts to add new obsessions have failed
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    ....Which is good, true and beautiful, though I'm a bit befuddled that Harry Potter doesn't come up more, but no biggie.

However, I'm VERY DISAPPOINTED!!! at the lack of The Planet of the Apes references.

YOU MANIACS!!!

DAM...

Anyway, more apes please.

Also Buckaroo Banzai and Galaxy Quest.

Thanks.

well, mostly failed
    Quote Originally Posted by Lector87 View Post
    By Grabthar's Hammer... .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    ...It was a hooked hammer that once belonged to his ancestor Grabthar, who used in in a major battle allied with the dwarven king Warvan and his sons....
    By Grabthar's Hammer, I try!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's why I think she did lose her Good status at the end. Roy already gave a pretty decent summing up of how she didn't really follow the precepts of Lawful Good here. Just following the letter of the alignment isn't good enough. She was fairly Lawful (except for the "taking the law into her own hands" moment at the end), but the only Good she really did, as Peelee points out, was killing Evil beings. I believe she was borderline Good, and the act of killing Shojo pushed her off.
    I don't think you can go that far. Even with in the comic she went out of her way to save the farmer despite delaying her mission. I don't think she demonstrated any sadism with killing evil creatures, even during her obsession with Belkar. If trying gets you credit in the after life, I would say she certainly was.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ariko View Post
    That, or a eastern ruler with an unpleasant personality.
    Or a very unfriendly tiger...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

She was fairly Lawful (except for the "taking the law into her own hands" moment at the end), but the only Good she really did, as Peelee points out, was killing Evil beings. I believe she was borderline Good, and the act of killing Shojo pushed her off.
    That's not quite true.

While it's true that she kills Evil fairly indiscriminately, she was concerned that the OOTS may have killed a good dragon. She did care about fighting the ogres honorably (but found a strategically-effective way to do so.) Also, she saved people when the inn was burning down.

Remember, we kind of saw her at her worst, since the OOTS rubbed her the wrong way since the beginning.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2019-04-29 at 03:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

She also had the 'ride for the city to spread the alarm' moment there before the Battle of Azure City. The Giant explicitly called that out in commentary as her doing her duty as a paladin.

20. - Top - End - #50

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    She also had the 'ride for the city to spread the alarm' moment there before the Battle of Azure City. The Giant explicitly called that out in commentary as her doing her duty as a paladin.
    yesm But doing something because it is her duty is very lawful but we uhave no ide as to the goodness of the act.
    I thibk she is lawful stupid.
    But you do have lot of good points and may even chang my mind!
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

That sight is dynamite.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's very likely that Miko gave generous alms, based on her dialogue and her lifestyle.
    ungelic is us

22. - Top - End - #52

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    I think it's very likely that Miko gave generous alms, based on her dialogue and her lifestyle.
    I guess so. Even if she was a delusional psycopath, she wasn't ALL bad.
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

That sight is dynamite.

23. - Top - End - #53

yesm But doing something because it is her duty is very lawful but we uhave no ide as to the goodness of the act.
    Sure we have. Putting yourself in danger for the sake of others is good. Doesn't matter whether you had a code a duty reinforcing it; that just makes it lawful in addition to good.

24. - Top - End - #54

AssassinGuy

We're talking about different stages of her character development. Also, bear in mind that people can do good things, without being strictly Good aligned. Even Evil Has Loved Ones.

There's no doubt she acted to warn Azure City because she cared about Azure City. But in the ogre battle, despite her concern to fight honorably, the main message that I took away is that she treated the OOTS as playing pieces to order as she needed them to act. V certainly took it that way. Not even hinting at her plan, expecting everyone to respond as she ordered without a question; that's not a Good "within the spirit of the alignment" attitude. It's extremely Lawful, though; "I am in charge, and you do what I say."
    Namer Of MitD Threads

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

I guess so. Even if she was a delusional psycopath, she wasn't ALL bad.
    Miko certainly wasn’t a psychopath. She was violent and deluded, yes, but she did care for a great many things and people (Shojo and Windstriker).
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

26. - Top - End - #56

BlueWizardGirl

So, I was just rereading oots and Roy's sister saiid that she was true neutral, since all of Roy's family are lawful good, does that mean that she won't end up in the same afterlife as her family?
    If Julia remains True Neutral. At this point I think it’s just representative of the fact that she’s a self-absorbed teenager still figuring out who she wants to be. True Neutral is (among other things) a kind of ‘default’ alignment.

She may pick another alignment once she’s grown up a bit and decided what she wants her life to be about.

EDIT: Seriously, how does a thread that’s completely unrelated to Miko derail into a Miko argument within half a page?
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2019-04-30 at 11:20 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

We're talking about different stages of her character development. Also, bear in mind that people can do good things, without being strictly Good aligned. Even Evil Has Loved Ones.

There's no doubt she acted to warn Azure City because she cared about Azure City. But in the ogre battle, despite her concern to fight honorably, the main message that I took away is that she treated the OOTS as playing pieces to order as she needed them to act. V certainly took it that way. Not even hinting at her plan, expecting everyone to respond as she ordered without a question; that's not a Good "within the spirit of the alignment" attitude. It's extremely Lawful, though; "I am in charge, and you do what I say."
    You cannot become a paladin with out being good. Trying to say she was anything but good before her fall is pointless, even if you find he behavior unpleasant. Being Paladin goes a step further in that they cannot commit evil acts, if they do they lose their powers and have to attone. It's entirely possible she was still good after her fall, as she had dedicated her life to good, despite her flaws.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    EDIT: Seriously, how does a thread that’s completely unrelated to Miko derail into a Miko argument within half a page?
    Less Seriously: Have you met us?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    It's an alignment/afterlife thread.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Post Re: Greenhilt afterlife conundrum.

All the points about Miko ending up on LN or other than LG just forget one thing: that entire sequence was basically, at most, a blip on the Deva's notes.

Even to Roy, the rules for being LG aren't hard and fast, it will likely come down to Miko was indeed trying to be her alignment of Lawful Good, to the best of her mortal understanding. Neither Roy, nor Miko, had to achieve the ideal LG to be allowed to the LG mountain. Even Roy got a pass on that evil thing he did when he was young, not to mention taking on Belkar and abandoning Elan. The review is a full review, and from what we've seen, takes into account the mortal aspect.

Hence, even Roy's father is hanging out outside the Mountain instead of some other afterlife. Even after impersonating a greater being.
    Last edited by Cinnibar; 2019-04-30 at 11:58 AM.