Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VII: Your Custom Planeswalker Card Died in War of the Spa

Redo -- UU
    Instant -- Rare
    Kicker 2U
    Cast target nonland permanent you control without paying its mana cost.
    If Redo was kicked, instead cast target nonland permanent without paying its mana cost.

EDIT: Changed kicker from 1U to 2U, Changed from Sorcery to Instant. Four is not enough mana to be stealing permanents in limited, but being able to save one of your things from a removal spell, or reuse the ETB trigger of cards like Frilled Mystic, is flexible enough for this card to be interesting without being absurd.
    Last edited by LastCenturion; 2019-05-06 at 04:43 PM.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VII: Your Custom Planeswalker Card Died in War of the Spa

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Personification, I think split second does what you are trying to do with that second ability.
    Not quite. Others can still cast, but their spells will resolve after Hastily Executed Rescue Mission even if they wer cast later.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Teenage Mob 2W
    Creature - Human U (Un)
    Whenever a spell is cast while a spell is currently on the stack, you may call out "Stacks On!". If you do, tap target creature and it doesn't untap during it's controllers next untap phase.
    2/2

Figured this challenge would end up with a fair few cards referring to the stack explicitly and could be confusing to parse with the rules for people. Perfect for an un set.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2019-05-06 at 03:37 AM.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Sleight of Thought UU
    Instant U
    Exile target spell you control then cast it without paying its costs. (This includes both mana costs and any additional costs. If you cast a spell with X in its mana cost this way, X is zero.)
    Nimble hands are useful. Nimble minds are necessary.

And yes, I know this breaks Storm spells even further. But, y'know, so does Narset's Reversal.
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2019-05-06 at 02:10 PM.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Tomoya's Revelation 6U
    Instant - Arcane C
    Tomoya's Revelation costs 2 less to cast for each other Arcane spell on the stack.
    Draw 3 cards.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-05-06 at 03:23 AM.
    Leo, Minnie, Ajax, Timmy.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ghost in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    Last Word-1B
    Instant - R
    counter target spell unless its controller pays X, where X is the amount of spells currently on the stack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Sleight of Mind UU
    Instant U
    Exile target spell you control then cast it without paying its costs. (This includes both mana costs and any additional costs. If you cast a spell with X in its mana cost this way, X is zero.)
    Nimble hands are useful. Nimble thoughts are necessary.
    Both of these names are taken by already printed cards.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: original
    Show
    Conflux Fissure
    Land - R
    T: Add C to your mana pool.
    Sacrifice ~: you lose X life and gain X {mana}, where X is the number of cards on the stack.
    Art description: iridescent lava flowng from a crack in a shallow sea floor.

Reworded:

Conflux Fissure
    Land - R
    Sacrifice ~: you lose X life and gain {X}, where X is the number of spells or abilities currently in the stack.
    Last edited by Mister Tom; 2019-05-06 at 01:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Runaway Lightning - 2RR
    Instant - R
    ~ deals X damage to each creature where X is twice the number of spells or abilities on the stack.

Most progress builds on the work before it. Izzet experiments take the idea quite literally.

Art Description - A wide shot of an Izzet lab. A surprised chemister has quite literally released lightning from a bottle. It leaps from his workstation to each other station in the lab, growing larger and leaving a wider wake of destruction in its path as it travels. By the second half of the bolt, the other chemisters are running for cover.

Spoiler: Design Note
    Show
    My understanding is that, as spells are on the stack as they resolve, this will always deal at least 2 damage, with the potential for a lot more.

Change history - Briefly had it at 1RR, felt that might be a bit too much.

- Was '~deals X damage to any target where X is twice the number of spells or abilities on the stack', but the one shot potential felt a bit too great, so changed it to a board sweeper effect instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Tom View Post
    Conflux Fissure
    Land - R
    Sacrifice ~: you lose X life and gain X {mana}, where X is the number of cards on the stack.
    Both spells and abilities use the stack, but cards are explicitly not something that's referred to on the stack. For example, Day's Undoing exiles all spells and abilities on the stack as it resolves, whilst Counterflux counters each spell if overloaded. Neither refer to cards.

Quote Originally Posted by LastCenturion View Post
    Redo -- UU
    Sorcery -- Rare
    Kicker 1U
    If Redo was kicked, instead cast target nonland permanent without paying its mana cost.
    I don't think this works with its current formatting. How do you cast something that's already on the field? Do you make a copy of it? Or is this intended to get free/discounted spells? If the latter (which is what I assume given the challenge), are you essentially copying the spell (in the style of Reverberate), or stealing it (in the style of Aethersnatch)? Either way, if it's on the stack it's a spell rather than a permanent and, based on the templating of Aethersnatch, should be referred to as a 'spell that becomes a permanent'.
    Last edited by Comissar; 2019-05-06 at 02:53 AM.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Last Word-1B
    Instant - R
    counter target spell unless its controller pays X, where X is the amount of spells currently on the stack.
    Was this meant to be blue? Because then it's 1U
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Was this meant to be blue? Because then it's 1U
    Oops. I forgot about that and will correct it.

Is the fact that a real card with this name already exists a problem, btw?
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comissar View Post

I don't think this works with its current formatting. How do you cast something that's already on the field? Do you make a copy of it? Or is this intended to get free/discounted spells? If the latter (which is what I assume given the challenge), are you essentially copying the spell (in the style of Reverberate), or stealing it (in the style of Aethersnatch)? Either way, if it's on the stack it's a spell rather than a permanent and, based on the templating of Aethersnatch, should be referred to as a 'spell that becomes a permanent'.
    My understanding is that it steals the card if you are casting it from the field or psudo bounces the card if you are casting your own.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    My understanding is that it steals the card if you are casting it from the field or psudo bounces the card if you are casting your own.
    In which case that would be gaining control of the permanent (in the style of Entrancing Melody), or a flicker effect (in the style of Momentary Blink), neither of which are cast effects. The problem with the wording as it stands is that, with the way the rules work, you can't cast something from the battlefield.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Test of Selflessness WRG
    Sorcery (R)
    Destroy each untapped creature.
    As long as ~ is on the stack, each creature has "T: this creature deals damage equal to its power to its controller."
    I don't care what they say - even the most loyal would bite the hand that feeds if death is right behind them.
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2019-05-07 at 10:01 AM.
    Spoiler: YinBao
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    Yea, that is a nice rabbit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    YinBao is fluffy and warm like all rabbits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
    Yes, I am a shameless YinBao fan...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
    YinBao and Ran Yang Li. The ultimate bromance! XD

Spoiler: In-Arl
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PossiblyInsane View Post
    HOW HAS THIS WORLD BECOME SO AWED BY A PATHETIC, TIRED CHICKEN?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    All Praise In-Arl for his wisdom and tasty dark meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
    Yay! PTSD Chicken!

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Comissar View Post
    To cast something, in the current rules, requires that you pay its mana cost and put it onto the stack. If you are allowed to cast it for an alternative mana cost (such as none), you pay that cost instead and put it onto the stack. When a permanent spell resolves, it comes into play under its controller's control. See for example Commandeer, which steals spells in this manner. My card allows you to double up on ETB and on-cast triggers w/o kicker, and to steal things from your opponents if it's kicked. On reflection, it's honestly fairly pushed on the kicker side, comparing In Bolas' Clutches from Dominaria. I'll change it from UU kicker 1U to UU kicker 2U, I think.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Back XU
    Instant R
    Exile target spell and put X plus one time counters on it. It gains suspend if it doesn't have suspend.
    //
    The Future 3UU
    Instant
    Put target spell at the bottom of its owner's library.
    Aftermath
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2019-05-06 at 04:52 PM. Reason: forgot aftermath

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Back XU
    Instant R
    Exile target spell and put X plus one time counters on it. It gains suspend if it doesn't have suspend.
    //
    The Future 3UU
    Instant
    Aftermath
    You need a clause saying X cannot be 0, otherwise it's just a hard counter for U given how suspend works.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    You need a clause saying X cannot be 0, otherwise it's just a hard counter for U given how suspend works.
    Time counters are X+1, though

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Oops. I forgot about that and will correct it.

Is the fact that a real card with this name already exists a problem, btw?
    Yes, two different cards can't have the same name.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #49

Powersink Golem - 3

Artifact Creature - Golem - Rare

Whenever a player casts a noncreature spell, put a +1/+1 counter on Powersink Golem.

Remove two +1/+1 counters from Powersink Golem: Counter target noncreature spell unless its controller pays 1.

1/1
    Last edited by Gauntlet; 2019-05-07 at 05:58 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

ElfMonkGuy

Wizard's Mastery 4UR
    Enchanment (R)
    Spells you cast cost 1 less to cast.
    When you cast a spell, if it is the seventh or greater spell on the stack, you win the game.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Wizard's Mastery 4UR
    Enchanment (R)
    When you cast a spell, if it is the seventh or greater spell on the stack, you win the game.
    As written this works with copies, meaning gigadrowse replicated five times and then a free spell will win you the game.
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2019-05-07 at 11:04 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

22. - Top - End - #52

ElfMonkGuy

As written this works with copies, meaning gigadrowse replicated five times and then a free spell will win you the game.
    Yeah, I knew it worked with copies. Storm was my first thought with the card, but I think being a 6 mana enchantment that does nothing on the turn you play it (except for let you cast 1 cost artifacts) is enough to relegate it to casual play or Commander, where there should be enough interaction to shut it down.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Yeah, I knew it worked with copies. Storm was my first thought with the card, but I think being a 6 mana enchantment that does nothing on the turn you play it (except for let you cast 1 cost artifacts) is enough to relegate it to casual play or Commander, where there should be enough interaction to shut it down.
    What kind of interaction are you thinking off? because the moment the owner starts storming into their 7 spells tack, it's basically impossible to stop them, as all their opponents would be doing is adding more spells to the stack. I apologize if giving such opinions/advice is forbidden, but what I'd do is make having a certain amount of spells on the stack put a counter on the card, and then if you've got a certain amount of counters at the beginning of your upkeep, you win the game. That allows for more counterplay, and will probably allow you to drop the cost of the spell a bit as well.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

24. - Top - End - #54

What kind of interaction are you thinking off? because the moment the owner starts storming into their 7 spells tack, it's basically impossible to stop them, as all their opponents would be doing is adding more spells to the stack. I apologize if giving such opinions/advice is forbidden, but what I'd do is make having a certain amount of spells on the stack put a counter on the card, and then if you've got a certain amount of counters at the beginning of your upkeep, you win the game. That allows for more counterplay, and will probably allow you to drop the cost of the spell a bit as well.
    If you respond to the '7th spell' trigger by countering one of the spells lower down on the stack, the whole thing fizzles because there are only six spells on the stack when the trigger resolves. If they have a lot of effects on the stack (like 10 storm copies) then you instead need a Stifle effect or similar for each time they can trigger the effect. I do think that resolving this and then winning is probably harder than resolving Thousand Year Storm and winning with the same cards by a reasonable margin.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Practical Analysis - 2U
    Instant - U
    Cast Practical Analasis only if there is a spell on the stack.
    Draw two cards.
    Reading books is fine and all, but sometimes you need to observe it with your own eyes.
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2019-05-10 at 02:11 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

26. - Top - End - #56
    Halfling in the Playground

Practical Analysis - 2U
    Instant - U
    Reading books is fine and all, but sometimes you need to observe it with your own eyes.
    Is there supposed to be an effect?

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Is there supposed to be an effect?
    Thanks, I forgot the actual effect of the spell.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Storm Field 3UR
    Enchantment MR
    Whenever you cast a spell that targets exactly one creature, planeswalker or player, you may copy that spell up to once for each other creature, planeswalker or player that spell could target. Each copy targets a different one of those creatures, planeswalkers or players.
    Even before Ral knew that a war was beginning, he had measures in place to end it.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: BasketOfPuppies - Rework
    Show
    Rework (U/R)
    Instant- MR
    You may rearrange any number of target spells (they resolve based on their new order-top to bottom).

How does reordering spells but not abilities work? This is an interesting effect, it protects from counterspells while also enabling some amount of shenanigans. I would probably change the text to You may rearrange the order of the stack.

Spoiler: Randuir - Closing Statement
    Show
    Closing Statement-1U
    Instant - R
    Counter target spell unless its controller pays X, where X is the number of spells currently on the stack.

This seems fine. Most of the time it will read counter target spell unless it's controller pays 2.

Spoiler: Personification - Hastily Executed Rescue Mission
    Show
    Hastily Executed Rescue Mission - WW
    Instant-R
    ~ cannot be countered
    ~ Resolves before all other spells or abilities on the stack, no matter which was cast or activated first
    Gain X life where X is the number of spells or abilities on the stack, including ~.
    Not only do I have an idea, but I have a plan!
    -General W. R. Monger

Can't be countered isn't usually a white ability and the resolving before other spells is a weird mechanic. In fact I'm sure wizards have never printed a card with this effect. Split Second will stop it from being countered and your opponents wouldn't want to increase X anyway, they would just wait for it to resolve to play their spells. Without serious effort this will usually gain 1-3 life.

Spoiler: TurboGhast - Reverberating Echoes
    Show
    Reverberating Echoes XUR
    Instant - R
    Copy X target instant or sorcery spells. You may choose new targets for the copies.

This is a solid card, it is hard to abuse due to the mana investment needed to copy. I might consider adding another effect because as it is now I think it might be a touch under powered.

Spoiler: LastCenturion - Redo
    Show
    Redo -- UU
    Instant -- Rare
    Kicker 2U

This is neat! I think the non-kicked mode is well costed. Note that not many permanents have cast triggers (cascade, eldrazi, and a couple futuresight cards). I think the sealing mode is still a little strong. 5 mana steal a permanent is good, this is that at instant speed with another possible effect tagged on.

Spoiler: Tom the Mime - Teenage Mob
    Show
    Teenage Mob 2W
    Creature - Human U (Un)
    Whenever a spell is cast while a spell is currently on the stack, you may call out "Stacks On!". If you do, tap target creature and it doesn't untap during it's controllers next untap phase.
    2/2

I like it! This feels like a fun Uncard. The tap ability isn't oppressive while still being relevant. Well played!

Spoiler: Sgt. Cookie - Sleight of Thought
    Show
    Sleight of Thought UU
    Instant U
    Nimble hands are useful. Nimble minds are necessary.

Like is said for redo, you have to work pretty hard to get value out of recasting a spell. Mostly I think this will just blank removal? You could probably get away with making this cost U, unless I'm missing a use case.

Spoiler: Dr.Gunsforhands - Tomoya's Revelation
    Show
    Tomoya's Revelation 6U
    Instant - Arcane C
    Tomoya's Revelation costs 2 less to cast for each other Arcane spell on the stack.
    Draw 3 cards.

Hmm, arcanes matter is kind of parasitic design. I think if you made this just sorceries and instants it would probably be fine; to cast it for U, you need three other cards on the stack which is a tall order. Another thought is you could make it 1U draw a card then draw another for each arcane on the stack.

Spoiler: Mister Tom - Conflux Fissure
    Show
    Conflux Fissure
    Land - R
    Sacrifice ~: you lose X life and gain {X}, where X is the number of spells and abilities on the stack.

This is a cool design, but I'm worried it will help some decks ramp too hard. If you are able to get a few cards on board that have a certain triggered ability you could generate a ton of mana very early. Landfall is I think the most dangerous trigger for this idea. I would feel safer if this land had to tap to activate this ability.

Spoiler: Comissar - Runaway Lightning
    Show
    Runaway Lightning - 2RR
    Instant - R
    ~ deals X damage to each creature where X is twice the number of spells or abilities on the stack.
    Most progress builds on the work before it. Izzet experiments take the idea quite literally.

Art Description - A wide shot of an Izzet lab. A surprised chemister has quite literally released lightning from a bottle. It leaps from his workstation to each other station in the lab, growing larger and leaving a wider wake of destruction in its path as it travels. By the second half of the bolt, the other chemisters are running for cover.

Smilar to Conflux Fissure I'm worried about how easy it is to grow the stack. Adding triggered abilities to the stack is only as hard as tapping City of Brass for mana or the like. Runaway Lightning won't help you run away with the game , but it will end it in one burst. It should be easy enough for a deck built for this card to deal around 8 damage from casting this. Scary.

Spoiler: mystic1110 - Test of Selflessness
    Show
    Test of Selflessness WRG
    Sorcery (R)
    Destroy each untapped creature.
    As long as ~ is on the stack, each creature has "T: this creature deals damage equal to its power to its controller."
    I don't care what they say - even the most loyal would bite the hand that feeds if death is right behind them.

I don't think this card is perfect for this challenge since it could have the tapping occur as part of resolution and nothing would be that different. Still the effect is very interesting and I like the card a lot.

Spoiler: ben-zayb - Back/to/The Future
    Show
    Back XU
    Instant R
    //
    The Future 3UU
    Instant
    Aftermath

Yup, this is cool. I like how the parts work together to slow then stop the spell. Cool card, the only change I would suggest is formatting it like remand so that it can't counter spells that can't be countered. Also this card can counter a card for 1 mana which is potentially really strong in combo decks.

Spoiler: Gauntlet - Powersink Golem
    Show
    Powersink Golem - 3
    Artifact Creature - Golem - Rare
    Whenever a player casts a noncreature spell, put a +1/+1 counter on Powersink Golem.

Remove two +1/+1 counters from Powersink Golem: Counter target noncreature spell unless its controller pays 1.

1/1

Nice, I like this card. The ramping up well costed and the utility of taxing spells is also interesting. Good job!

Spoiler: mythmonster2 - Wizard's Mastery
    Show
    Wizard's Mastery 4UR
    Enchanment (R)

A six mana do nothing on play enchantment is slow enough that I think this is a fair effect. While you can burst to 7

Spoiler: Ninjaman -Practical Analysis
    Show
    Practical Analysis - 2U
    Instant - U
    Draw two cards.

I like this but it is pushing too strong. Historically draw 2 at instant speed costs 4. I think the added requirement that there be another spell on the stack

Spoiler: unavenger - Storm Field
    Show
    Storm Field 3UR
    Enchantment MR
    Whenever you cast a spell that targets exactly one creature, planeswalker or player, you may copy that spell up to once for each other creature, planeswalker or player that spell could target. Each copy targets a different one of those creatures, planeswalkers or players.
    Even before Ral knew that a war was beginning, he had measures in place to end it.

Interesting, this card is very good when you are overloading cards that just do stuff to your opponent and not quiet as good when it hits you as well. At the same time this is a 5 mana do nothing enchanment so it belongs in more of a control shell. I feel like this sort of effect has been printed before but it is is still neat.

Spoiler: Second Place
    Show
    Tom the Mime

Teenage Mob 2W
    Creature - Human U (Un)
    2/2

I thought this design was fun and very un! The effect meaningfully cares about instants while also psudo taxing your opponent's reactivity!

Spoiler: First Place
    Show
    Ninjaman

Practical Analysis - 2U
    Instant - U
    Cast Practical Analysis only if there is a spell on the stack.
    Draw two cards.

This card is a cool take on divination. I think the power level is appropriate and the drawback is meaningful.

Thanks for the submissions everyone it was fun to judge as always!
    I was hoping for more cards like lightning storm but what can you do?
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm glad you like it. I find downsides can often be tough to balance, which is why, for the new challenge:

Make a card with a downside
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature