The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VII: Your Custom Planeswalker Card Died in War of the Spa

Forget Regrets 4R
    Instant - C
    Convoke (Your creatures can help cast this spell. Each creature you tap while casting this spell pays for 1 or one mana of that creature's color.)
    Cascade (When you cast this spell, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card that costs less. You may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom of your library in a random order.)
    What did we do last night?
    Leo, Ajax, Deshy, Cutty, Erica.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VII: Your Custom Planeswalker Card Died in War of the Spa

Old idea was fairly boring with just 3 keywords together

Spoiler: old version
    Show
    Coalition of Arms WUBRG
    Sorcery R
    Convoke
    For each creature used to convoke Coalition of Arms, select one of the following (each option can be chosen multiple times):
    - Scry 3
    - Deal 1 damage to target player or planeswalker
    - Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature
    - Create a 1/1 white soldier token
    - Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature

Bit of a callout to coalition victory in flavor but not effect. One effect for each color and obviously weak without a spread of creature colors. White used to be gain 3 life and blue would be draw a card if it wasn't overpowered compared to the others. Draw and discard would've been a nice midway between scry and draw but then it loses the color identity to red which is really important here.

Coalition of Arms WUBRG
    Sorcery R
    Convoke
    For each blue creature used to convoke Coalition of Arms, draw a card.
    For each red creature used to convoke Coalition of Arms, deal 2 damage to target player or planeswalker
    For each white creature used to convoke Coalition of Arms, create a 2/2 white knight token.
    For each green creature used to convoke Coalition of Arms, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
    For each black creature used to convoke Coalition of Arms, target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn

Bit of a callout to coalition victory in flavor but not effect. One effect for each color and obviously weak without a spread of creature colors. Old version didn't feel like enough of a bomb for the aim here so I upped the power of each mode while taking away the choice so you can't just choose one masdive effect. Gold creatures are a bigger deal here. Not sure about the balance but it's in an odd design space where upping the mana cost doesn't actually help reduce the power. Half considering adding a clause that you can't use mana from lands to cast it if power is an issue to make it less flexible.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2019-05-23 at 01:07 PM.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Crucible of the Coming Ice- 2GBB
    Enchantment-Saga U
    I&II: Lands you control gain the supertype snow. Non-Snow creatures get -1/-1 until ~ leaves the battlefield.
    III: Place two +1/+1 tokens on each-non-snow creature you control. Then, creatures you control gain the super-type snow.

ART: A stained glass style piece (like History of Benalia) split into three sections. The top section shows three healthy-looking grey wolves in a forest, standing over a deer corpse. The middle shows three pale and skeletal wolves in a snowy wasteland standing over some scattered bones. The bottom is basically a stained-glass version of the card art for Dire Wolves from Ice Age.
    Last edited by Personification; 2019-05-23 at 05:52 AM.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Void Arrows 1B
    Sorcery - U
    Target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn.

Replicate 1B, Discard a card. (When you cast this spell, copy it for each time you paid its replicate cost. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Entropic Acceleration R
    Enchantment - R
    Vanishing 6
    Whenever a player would remove a time counter from a permanent they control, that player removes two time counters instead.
    Once everything is gone, nothing really will last forever.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Fleeting Commander - 1WW
    Creature - Spirit Soldier - R
    Vanishing 4
    Each creature you control get +1/+1 for each time counter on it.
    Whenever Fleeting Commander attacks, you may put a time counter on another target permanent you control.
    0/0
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

Frozen Impulse 1U
    Instant - C
    Look at the top X cards of your library, where X is the number of snow permanents you control. Put one of them in your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
    Snow landcycling 2 (2, discard this card: Search your library for a snow land card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.)
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2019-05-24 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Downshift to common because this is pseudo-for a set with more complexity
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hellish Invasion Force 2RR
    Sorcery - R
    You may discard your hand instead of paying CARDNAME's manacost.
    Deal 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker, then you may put a devil creature from your hand onto the battlefield.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

9. - Top - End - #129

Timeless saviours 1W
    Sorcery U
    Create one white 2/2 soldier creature token with First Strike and Vanishing 3 (This creature enters the battlefield with three time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.)

Replicate: {2/W} (When you cast this spell, copy it for each time you paid its replicate cost. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

Spoiler: Art
    Show
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2019-05-26 at 12:00 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

10. - Top - End - #130

Judging will be up today or tomorrow.

11. - Top - End - #131

Spoiler: Comissar - Echoes of Insanity
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Comissar View Post
    Echoes of Insanity - 2R
    Sorcery - C

As an additional cost to cast this spell, discard a card. Draw two cards.

Cycling - 2U (2U, Discard this Card: Draw a card)

Hellbent - When you cycle this card, if you have no cards in hand, draw a card.
    This is a more expensive Tormenting Voice that turns into instant uncounterable Divination when you're Hellbent. It feels odds that the Hellbent ability is on the blue side. I feel like this card is only one you're ever really happy to play when you're Hellbent, which isn't the most common scenario (especially for the sort of deck that plays draw spells) and the Hellbent upside still not huge.

Spoiler: Randuir - Storm of Memories
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    Storm of memories - 2UUU
    Instant - R

You may cast target instant or sorcery card from a graveyard without paying its mana cost.

storm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each spell cast before it this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

If this card would go to the graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead.
    This is clearly extremely powerful, although somewhat held back by the fact you can't cast the same instant or sorcery multiple times with it. Being able to target stuff in opponents' graveyards increases the odds you'll have enough targets for this. In non-commander formats making UUU in a storm deck is a bit awkward, so it would be difficult to support there even if the payoff was good, but in commander this would be an enormously powerful card. I feel like it's probably stronger than Mind's Desire and that card is banned in Legacy and restricted in Vintage for a reason.

Spoiler: mystic1110 - Hypothermia
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Hypothermia UB
    Sorcery - U
    Tap target creature. It gets -1/-1 and it doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
    Flashback - (S) ((You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it. (S) can be paid with one mana from a snow permanent.)
    Freeze effects for Snow mana make plenty of sense, although this does let you play actual removal off a Snow Covered Forest which is a little odd. This reminds me a lot of a powered up Sonic Assault, which was a solid limited card and makes sense for an uncommon slot.

Spoiler: Sgt. Cookie - Throw Ten Thousand Knives
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Throw Ten Thousand Knives XRR
    Sorcery R
    Throw Ten Thousand Knives deals 1 damage to X targets. (You can target the same thing more than once)
    Flashback: RR, Exile a card with converted mana cost X from your hand.
    A ninja can dodge any attack. A master ninja can dodge EVERY attack.
    Other than a few niche scenarios involving damage prevention, this is Sorcery speed Rolling Thunder on the front side, which is a cool card. The flashback has me worried though. It's a callback to Conflagrate, which already sees play, but if you have a high CMC card in your hand it's pretty easy to boardwipe or oneshot someone with this - the card you exile also doesn't have to be red, which means you can just blow your opponent up by exiling Draco or Emrakul or something.

Spoiler: Necroticplague - Perpetuate Agony
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Perpetuate Agony BB
    Instant
    Create a 2/2 black zombie creature token under your control.
    Buyback:Sacrifice a creature.
    You're missing a rarity from this card. I like the effect though - it lets you get value out of any creatures that're about to die or get death triggers, and build up an army if you have recursive guys. You almost never want to cast this without paying the Buyback unless you have zero other options, since a BB 2/2 isn't exactly gripping.

Spoiler: BasketOfPuppies - Think Again
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Think Again 1U
    Instant- C
    Draw a card.
    Cycling 3U
    When you cycle Think Again, draw a card.
    This is functionally extremely similar to Heiroglyphic Illumination, except the other mode is counterable. That's an upside but I don't think it matters enough for this to be a meaningfully different card to the version that already exists.

Spoiler: ben-zayb- Mind Drowse
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Mind Drowse U
    Instant U
    Tap target permanent.
    Buyback 3U
    Storm
    Storm and Buyback is a pretty scary combination of keywords, although this has limited use as an actual combo enabler. The main use of this would be to tap down all your opponents' mana sources to prevent them from interacting with a combo, or just as a fog if your opponent has a few big creatures or has cast lots of spells precombat. I think this would be difficult to play anywhere unless you had stuff that makes use of the extra copies, like Nivmagus Elemental or similar.

Spoiler: mythmonster2 - Champion of All
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Champion of All 3WW
    Creature- Shapeshifter (R)
    Changeling
    Champion of All gets +1/+1 for each creature type among other non-Shapeshifter creatures you control.
    If another creature you control has flying, Champion of All has flying. The same is true for vigilance, lifelink, first strike, double strike, indestructible, and hexproof.
    0/0
    The limited list is on purpose, mostly to make sure the card could fit the text.
    The 'non-Shapeshifter' clause is a nice clean way to make the card not absurdly large with another Changeling on the field. I think the biggest problem I have with this card is that if you only have changelings on the field, or have no other creatures, this guy just dies immediately which is pretty clunky. It's also a bit odd that the list of abilities is made up of five that fit into white's colour pie, and then Hexproof which is not (usually) white.

Spoiler: Dr. Gunsforhands - Forget Regrets
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Forget Regrets 4R
    Instant - C
    Convoke (Your creatures can help cast this spell. Each creature you tap while casting this spell pays for 1 or one mana of that creature's color.)
    Cascade (When you cast this spell, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card that costs less. You may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom of your library in a random order.)
    What did we do last night?
    Cards with Cascade but no effect on resolution are an interesting design space. Getting a random thing out of your deck is fun, but I'm not sure it's something worth dedicating a card slot to. Convoke also feels a bit awkward in red since (unlike the original green/white) it doesn't have many Vigilance creatures but wants to be attacking a lot.

Spoiler: Tom the Mime - Coalition of Arms
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Coalition of Arms WUBRG
    Sorcery R
    Convoke
    For each blue creature used to convoke Coalition of Arms, draw a card.
    For each red creature used to convoke Coalition of Arms, deal 2 damage to target player or planeswalker
    For each white creature used to convoke Coalition of Arms, create a 2/2 white knight token.
    For each green creature used to convoke Coalition of Arms, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
    For each black creature used to convoke Coalition of Arms, target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
    The effect is pretty powerful but it does require you to have a lot of creatures on the board to use it, and they also want to be heavily multicolour, which creates some real deckbuilding restrictions, so from a balance perspective it's fine. Mechanically, there are a few awkward bits to the rules implementation of this. Firstly, you choose modes and targets of a spell before you pay the costs, so at the point where you target the red/green/black ones the rules don't know how many times you'll be doing it yet. That means the only working way to interpret this is for all the instances of each colour's effect to have the same target, but I'm not sure if that was your intention. Additionally having to hit your own creatures if you have black creatures and your opponent is creatureless is a bit awkward.

Spoiler: Personification - Crucible of the Coming Ice
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    Crucible of the Coming Ice- 2GBB
    Enchantment-Saga U
    I&II: Lands you control gain the supertype snow. Non-Snow creatures get -1/-1 until ~ leaves the battlefield.
    III: Place two +1/+1 tokens on each-non-snow creature you control. Then, creatures you control gain the super-type snow.
    Slowly killing everything and then strengthening the creatures that survive is definitely fitting for a green/black card. The +1/+1 counters are good for reminding you which creatures are Snow and which aren't, which helps. However, I & II chapters' shrinking effect doesn't place tokens to keep track, and affects creatures which entered the battlefield before / between / after the chapters differently which could easily end up getting quite confusing and difficult to track.

Spoiler: Bucky - Void Arrows
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Void Arrows 1B
    Sorcery - U
    Target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn.

Replicate 1B, Discard a card. (When you cast this spell, copy it for each time you paid its replicate cost. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
    Turns any number of cards in your hand into slightly underpowered (but still useful) removal spells. I like the idea of non-mana costs as Replicate costs. It's cool that you can 2 for 1 yourself with this to kill a creature with more than 3 toughness if you have to, as well.

Spoiler: redjinx - Entropic Acceleration
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by redjinx View Post
    Entropic Acceleration R
    Enchantment - R
    Vanishing 6
    Whenever a player would remove a time counter from a permanent they control, that player removes two time counters instead.
    Once everything is gone, nothing really will last forever.
    This seems like an extremely niche rare. The fact it only works on Vanishing - not on Suspend, since the exiled card isn't a permanent - makes it really hard to have be useful, especially since it disappears itself pretty fast and does cold nothing without additional cards to support it. I think Paradox Haze does a similar thing to this but has lots of other cool applications as well where this doesn't really do enough to be impactful.

Spoiler: Ninjaman- Fleeting Commander
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Fleeting Commander - 1WW
    Creature - Spirit Soldier - R
    Vanishing 4
    Each creature you control get +1/+1 for each time counter on it.
    Whenever Fleeting Commander attacks, you may put a time counter on another target permanent you control.
    0/0
    Having synergy with Vanishing cards makes for a pretty niche set of use cases, especially since the best Vanishing creature in white is Calciderm, which has Shroud so you can't keep it alive with this guy. He's good with Aven Riftwatcher but that's about it. If he could target himself I think he'd be pretty solid though - he has synergy with some other cards but would personally be a vanilla 3 mana 4/4 which makes for an acceptable Rare in a vacuum. You'd need to put this guy in a set with a several other good Vanishing cards before he really felt useful.

Spoiler: TurboGhast - Frozen Impulse
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    Frozen Impulse 1U
    Instant - C
    Look at the top X cards of your library, where X is the number of snow permanents you control. Put one of them in your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
    Snow landcycling 2 (2, discard this card: Search your library for a snow land card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.)
    Snow Landcycling is cool and makes for a good use case even if you don't have many Snow cards out yet in the early game. Later on this is an upgraded Impulse which makes for a pretty good card if you're building around it, which is just what I'd be looking for in a common utility cantrip.

Spoiler: Quiddle - Hellish Invasion Force
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Hellish Invasion Force 2RR
    Sorcery - R
    You may discard your hand instead of paying CARDNAME's manacost.
    Deal 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker, then you may put a devil creature from your hand onto the battlefield.
    There aren't many Devils that are worth spending 4 mana to cheat onto the battlefield, really - most of the good ones cap out at 3-4 mana. The only one that's actively strong with this is Bedlam Reveler, and that guy is frequently 2 mana anyway. If you aren't cheating in a devil with this, it's a 4 mana Lightning Bolt that can't go to the face (so you can't use it like Fireblast to finish someone off without caring about the card disadvantage). If you're Hellbent this is a reasonable removal spell, but if you have no other cards to be playing / are topdecking then paying an actual mana cost wouldn't be a problem most of the time anyway.

Spoiler: Durkoala - Timeless Saviours
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Timeless saviours 1W
    Sorcery U
    Create one white 2/2 soldier creature token with First Strike and Vanishing 3 (This creature enters the battlefield with three time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.)

Replicate: {2/W} (When you cast this spell, copy it for each time you paid its replicate cost. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
    If they're Timeless, why do they go away eventually? Surely they're even less Timeless than your average creature?

Anyway, this seems like a pretty solid card. At two mana it's definitely on the weak side, but 4 power worth of First Strike pretty thoroughly stonewalls any attacks for five mana, and it scales into lategame where making three Knights for 5WWW is fine. I'm not sure any of the modes are particularly powerful, especially since if you're being aggressive rather than buying time you only get two actual attacks out of this. If they didn't have vanishing at all then this card would still be balanced, which means it's probably a bit on the weak side as is.

---

Spoiler: Honourable Mentions
    Show
    TurboGhast with Frozen Impulse
    Necroticplague with Perpetuate Agony
    mystic1110 with Hypothermia

Spoiler: And the winner is...
    Show
    Bucky with Void Arrows

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Spoiler: Comissar - Echoes of Insanity
    Show

This is a more expensive Tormenting Voice that turns into instant uncounterable Divination when you're Hellbent. It feels odds that the Hellbent ability is on the blue side. I feel like this card is only one you're ever really happy to play when you're Hellbent, which isn't the most common scenario (especially for the sort of deck that plays draw spells) and the Hellbent upside still not huge.
    I was reluctant to make a strictly better Tormenting Voice (which, I'm aware, is hardly a card that makes waves normally, but it seems to be the baseline for a common with that effect in recent standard sets). I also didn't want to enable actual card advantage through paying red mana, since it's not something red does, hence the cycling and hellbent being blue.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

13. - Top - End - #133

Spoiler: Durkoala - Timeless Saviours
    Show
    If they're Timeless, why do they go away eventually? Surely they're even less Timeless than your average creature?

Anyway, this seems like a pretty solid card. At two mana it's definitely on the weak side, but 4 power worth of First Strike pretty thoroughly stonewalls any attacks for five mana, and it scales into lategame where making three Knights for 5WWW is fine. I'm not sure any of the modes are particularly powerful, especially since if you're being aggressive rather than buying time you only get two actual attacks out of this. If they didn't have vanishing at all then this card would still be balanced, which means it's probably a bit on the weak side as is.
    'Time-lost' would probably have been a better title, yes.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

There aren't many Devils that are worth spending 4 mana to cheat onto the battlefield, really - most of the good ones cap out at 3-4 mana. The only one that's actively strong with this is Bedlam Reveler, and that guy is frequently 2 mana anyway. If you aren't cheating in a devil with this, it's a 4 mana Lightning Bolt that can't go to the face (so you can't use it like Fireblast to finish someone off without caring about the card disadvantage). If you're Hellbent this is a reasonable removal spell, but if you have no other cards to be playing / are topdecking then paying an actual mana cost wouldn't be a problem most of the time anyway.
    Fair enough, I didn't want it to go face because I figured "free" lightning bolts would probably be too much for eternal formats.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Make a card for combo decks.

It doesn't need to be a combo piece itself, but it should be more useful in combo decks than non-combo decks. The degree to which it's more useful in combo decks is one of the judgment criteria.

Examples: Splinter Twin, Laboratory Maniac, Pentad Prism, Delay
    Last edited by Bucky; 2019-05-31 at 09:51 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Just an initial idea, no major balance thoughts yet.

Phyrexian Archives 2B
    Enchantment R
    Whenever you search your library for a card, you may instead exile it. If you do, you may cast the card from exile by paying life equal to the double the converted mana cost.

Obviously going for letting you combo out quicker after tutoring and not caring if the tutor sends it to the top of your library or graveyard even (so final parting can get you two pieces). If you have the life you can even tutor all your tutors before finishing off with a storm combo.

Maybe adding a small etb effect later.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2019-06-02 at 08:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Phyrexian Archives 2B
    Enchantment R
    Whenever you search your library for a card, you may instead exile it. If you do, you may cast the card from exile by paying life equal to the converted mana cost.
    So entomb becomes a 1 mana instant that lets you cast any card from you deck? And Buried alive casts any 3 creatures? You would lose a lot of life granted, but that's a small price.

This
    Entomb -> Buried alive
    Buried Alive -> Kiki-Jikki, Deceiver Exarch and a bit of protection.

Granted that is 12 life you are paying, but still.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Good point. Like I said, hasn't thought about balance much yet and I knew of entomb but not buried alive. Once per turn wouldn't get rid of some of the abuses and makes it less combo-ey. I think life cost of twice cmc might work? You can still get a big threat out but it'd leave you vulnerable to small chips of damage that got through and it should still be fine for cheating out a single combo piece a bit quicker but not the whole thing. Works flavor wise too because it's basically casting the spell as if it's cmc was all in phyrexian mana.

Might be combos that could abuse it better but the card seemed like a fun idea with modern horizons coming up.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2019-06-01 at 01:38 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

I would cost it as 5cmc, generally a two card combo should be safe if it costs 6 or more (in legacy, can’t speak for modern)
    Spoiler: YinBao
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    Yea, that is a nice rabbit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    YinBao is fluffy and warm like all rabbits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
    Yes, I am a shameless YinBao fan...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
    YinBao and Ran Yang Li. The ultimate bromance! XD

Spoiler: In-Arl
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PossiblyInsane View Post
    HOW HAS THIS WORLD BECOME SO AWED BY A PATHETIC, TIRED CHICKEN?
    All Praise In-Arl for his wisdom and tasty dark meat.
    Yay! PTSD Chicken!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    So entomb becomes a 1 mana instant that lets you cast any card from you deck? And Buried alive casts any 3 creatures? You would lose a lot of life granted, but that's a small price.

This
    Entomb -> Buried alive
    Buried Alive -> Kiki-Jikki, Deceiver Exarch and a bit of protection.

Granted that is 12 life you are paying, but still.
    Considering that, barring ramp or rocks, you wouldn't get that combo til turn 4 (3 for Archives, 1 for Entomb), and how short almost every modern game I've ever been in has been, that seems fair. Turn 4 is a turn after a combo deck usually has won, and two turns after the good combo decks have won.

Also, I've never seen Entomb or Buried Alive used when it isn't just a cirurtuous freecaster, so that's again part for the course.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Lightning Crystal - 1
    Artifact - MR
    Flash
    Lightning Crystal can't be countered.
    T, Sacrifice Lightning Crystal: Add C. If you use this mana to cast a spell, you may cast it as though it had flash and it can't be countered.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-06-03 at 03:09 PM. Reason: A 4-drop on turn 2 is really more of a Midrange strategy
    Leo, Ajax, Deshy, Cutty, Erica.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil's Bargain
    Sorcery (Black colour indicator)
    Search your library for a card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
    Suspend 1: Pay 10 life.
    "Any cost you say?"
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2019-06-07 at 05:25 PM.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Changed the cost to twice the cmc. The most efficient one I found that'd work with it (doomsday, lab maniac, urza's bauble) just works at 20 life but you lose too any instant speed damage, disruption or removal so it's fragile enough that that shouldn't be an issue. Given demonic tutor, mystical tutor, personal tutor, entomb, bitter ideal and grim reminder all cost 3 or less and can search doomsday, I felt that probably should be taken into account.

Edit: Or buried alive with lab maniac, elvish visionary and judges familiar for a tiny bit of extra protection.

Edit 2: Scratch that last one as lab maniac relies on doomsday's other effect
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2019-06-04 at 06:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Tumultuous Mire
    Land-Swamp M
    Tumultuous Mire comes into play tapped
    Once per turn, you may return a land from you control from the battlefield to your hand. If you do, you may play an additional land this turn. Activate this ability only when you would be able to cast a sorcery.

25. - Top - End - #145

Immortal Fears BBB

Sorcery

Choose one:

- Search your library for a card. Shuffle your library and put that card on top.
    - Name a card. The next time you draw a card this turn, reveal it. If it's the named card, you may cast it without paying its mana cost.
    - Draw a card. Each opponent discards a card.

Escalate - B, Sacrifice a creature.

26. - Top - End - #146

Empty the vaults 2BR
    Sorcery - R
    Exile any number of artifact cards from your hand and/or deck. Put a number of time counters on each of these cards equal to the number of cards exiled this way. Each of these cards gains suspend if they didn't have it already.

Edit: major changes
    Last edited by DeTess; 2019-06-03 at 06:02 PM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Olasti, Primal Druid - 2WG
    Legendary Creature - Cat, Druid - MR

Creature spells you cast can't be countered.

Whenever a non-token creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay X where X is that creatures converted mana cost minus the number of creatures you control. If you do, create a Dinosaur creature token with power and toughness equal to that creatures power and toughness.

2/4

"They come at my call, drawn from across Muraganda to the promise of the hunt, united as one pack."

Art Description - A Sabre-toothed catfolk stands clad in tribal, saurian leathers. He points dramatically off-screen. Hordes of smaller theropods surge forward around him. To his left, larger and larger dinosaurs follow. In the background, an Imperiosaur is crashing through the tangled jungle.
    Last edited by Comissar; 2019-06-03 at 05:02 PM.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Unbound Nest XG
    Enchantment R
    Unbound Nest enters the battlefield with X charge counters on it.
    Whenever you cast a spell search your library for up to X cards, where X is the amount of charge counters on Unbound Nest, with mana costs that contain X, and put those cards into your hand, then shuffle your library, then remove a charge counter from Unbound Nest.
    3: Place a Charge counter on Unbound Nest.
    Have you ever seen the spawning of a Hydra's clutch? Don't.
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2019-06-03 at 03:47 PM.
    Spoiler: YinBao
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    Yea, that is a nice rabbit.
    YinBao is fluffy and warm like all rabbits.
    Yes, I am a shameless YinBao fan...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
    YinBao and Ran Yang Li. The ultimate bromance! XD

Spoiler: In-Arl
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PossiblyInsane View Post
    HOW HAS THIS WORLD BECOME SO AWED BY A PATHETIC, TIRED CHICKEN?
    All Praise In-Arl for his wisdom and tasty dark meat.
    Yay! PTSD Chicken!

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    Empty the vaults 1RR
    Sorcery - R
    put any number of artifacts onto the battlefield from your library and/or hand. Sacrifice any artifacts that share a name with another artifact that has come into play this way.
    At the beginning of your next end step, you lose the game.
    This seems purposefully designed to be a three mana, one card combo. That's probably not a good idea.
    It even finds Platinum Angel, rendering the downside meaningless.

Some ideas:
    Akroma's Memorial
    Creatures with enough power to kill the opponent this turn.

Sword of the Meek
    Ashnod's Altar
    Thopter Foundry
    Blasting Station

Rings of Brightheart
    Basalt Monolith
    Any artifact that wins with infinite mana

This card breaks in half without even trying.

- - - Updated - - -

Contract with Dark Powers - UB
    Sorcery - R
    Exile the top 7 cards of your library.
    Return an exiled card you own to your hand.
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2019-06-04 at 01:40 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #150

Ugh, you're right. I was thinking about the stuff available in standard right now, but in any other format platinum angel breaks the intent of this card on its own. Back to the drawimg board.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays