The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    We are ants.
    Democratic ants.
    Hello and welcome to the second edition of The Rise of Ants! As before, this is a game where you vote on actions taken by a sentient, magical colony of ants as they expand, explore, develop new technology and magic, and discover the world around them.

Credits to Croverus for inventing this game, and Xihirli for running the first game for most of its story.

First Game
    First Thread
    Second Thread
    Third Thread

Spoiler: An intro to the game mechanics: (read this if youíre new, and probably read it if youíre familiar with the game as well, because there are a few changes)
    Show

Every round each player posts their votes for what the colony can do. Thereís no list of defined actions - just make it up. You can submit votes for each of 3 actions, which will increase to 4 and 5 later. (It doesnít go higher than 5 because at that point itís hard to keep track.)

The colony has SEVEN statistics - Size, Growth, Offense, Defense, Speed, Skill, and Power. (Speed is mostly new for this game.)
    Size is the number of ants, effectively the colonyís HP. Each 1 size represents 100 ants. One of the advantages of living in colonies is the massive numbers that implies. Each turn, the colonyís Size increases by its Growth, as well as consuming (Size/10) food. Food management is an important part of the game.
    Skill represents the colonyís tool-using and tech ability (and is mostly replaced with Science later on) while Power represents its magical ability. When either of these two stats reaches a certain threshold, we gain a new Trait.
    Growth, Skill, and Power can be increased with ďResearchĒ actions.
    Offense, Defense, and Speed are the colonyís combat statistics, along with Size. Unlike in the first game, these are inherent to the ants and cannot be researched - they must be improved with new tech or magic. If you want better Offense, build new weapons. For Defense, more armor. For Speed, new vehicles - or magic, for all three. Alternatively, you can ally with more physically gifted species of arthropod.
    Keep in mind that there is a new combat system and that I havenít quite worked out all the pieces yet, so any numbers given for Offense, Defense, and Speed may change once this is set in the next few weeks.

Your starting statistics are: Size 8, Growth 1, Offense 4, Defense 4, Speed 4, Skill 1, Power 0
    In addition, you can vote on two biological advantages for the colony to start with.
    1 - Swelling Horde: +2 Size, +1 Growth, Swarm (doubles the outcome of an action, 3 turn cooldown)
    2 - Militarized: +1 Offense, +1 Defense, Combat Stance (+2 Offense and -1 Defense, or vice versa, 4 turn cooldown)
    3 - Productive: +1 Growth, +2 Skill
    4 - Survivors: +2 Growth, +1 Defense
    5 - Adept: +1 Skill, +2 Power
    6 - Massive: +8 Size, giving you a 4th action right away
    7 - Conquerors: +1 Growth, +1 Offense, +1 Speed
    8 - Structured: +3 Skill

In addition, each player gets to make a hero ant - their own player character. Each hero has a name (generally a reference or ant pun, historically), their own stats, and the ability to perform one action in addition to the colony actions. Hero stats level up on occasion, every other new Power Trait. In addition, heroes can develop Hero Traits, which are exclusive versions of Power Traits.
    Each hero starts with one of six archetypes:
    Generalist - Health 6, Attack 2, Armor 2, Speed 2, Skill 2, Power 1
    Soldier - Health 6, Attack 3, Armor 2, Speed 2, Skill 1, Power 1
    Guardian - Health 8, Attack 1, Armor 3, Speed 1, Skill 1, Power 1
    Speedster - Health 5, Attack 2, Armor 1, Speed 4, Skill 2, Power 1
    Pit Boss - Health 6, Attack 1, Armor 2, Speed 2, Skill 3, Power 1
    Power Seeker - Health 5, Attack 1, Armor 1, Speed 3, Skill 2, Power 3

Again, keep in mind that I have not yet worked out the exact way that combat stats work.

Current update schedule is Mondays and Fridays.

Turn 0: Begin Voting!
    (On the colony name and starting advantages)
    Last edited by Sniccups; 2019-04-29 at 04:22 PM.
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

Biological Advantage Vote: Swelling Horde, Adept

I will abstain on the vote of the hive name since I can't come up with anything good right now

I will be a Soldier ant named JonAntan JoestAnt, known as JoJoAnt
    Last edited by flappeercraft; 2019-04-29 at 03:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

The faster we obtain power the sooner we can nuke the world again have fun with an innovative power set.
    EDIT: I forgot to add that the above is why I would choose Adept. My second vote is for Structured.
    I will also jump on the bandwagon of last campaign and create a Power Seeker: Ant-Eye Aircraft Weaponry. I also request the reinstatement of the Ant-quisitor subclass.
    Last edited by Personification; 2019-04-29 at 04:57 PM.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    The faster we obtain power the sooner we can nuke the world again have fun with an innovative power set. I will also jump on the bandwagon of last campaign and create a Power Seeker: Ant-Eye Aircraft Weaponry. I also request the reinstatement of the Ant-quisitor subclass.
    Oh yeah I want this subclass back. Also one thing, are hero traits we develop exclusive to the developer unless taught to someone else or does everyone get them automatically?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Well I'll re-claim the name Antimony for my hero. Who will again be a Power Seeker.
    (Btw, glad this time the classes add up to the same value.)

For the colony I vote for Conquerors since it gives 2 combat stats which we can't just increase because we feel like in this version... and because we didn't have a good record of efficiently using cooldown abilities last time.
    Edit: Oh we can vote for two. Second vote is for Adept then. Because magic is fun.

For the name of the colony.... The Golden Hive ?
    We could have a sort of gold coloring or maybe golden stripes to match. *shrug*

Edit2: So are we doing Power Orbs again or does our magic come from some other source or is it just an inherent trait for us?
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-04-29 at 04:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Well I'll re-claim the name Antimony for my hero. Who will again be a Power Seeker.

For the colony I vote for Conquerors since it gives 2 combat stats which we can't just increase because we feel like in this version... and because we didn't have a good record of efficiently using cooldown abilities last time.
    Edit: Oh we can vote for two. Second vote is for Adept then. Because magic is fun.

For the name of the colony.... The Golden Hive ?
    We could have a sort of gold coloring or maybe golden stripes to match. *shrug*

Edit2: So are we doing Power Orbs again or does our magic come from some other source or is it just an inherent trait for us?
    I mean yes the +1 to offense and speed is nice but eventually it will subside. Plus right now the growth bonus is huge but we get it if we choose swelling horde as well. However the Swarm ability that allows you to double the outcome of an action will remain valuable all through the game.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    The faster we obtain power the sooner we can nuke the world again have fun with an innovative power set. I will also jump on the bandwagon of last campaign and create a Power Seeker: Ant-Eye Aircraft Weaponry. I also request the reinstatement of the Ant-quisitor subclass.
    I'll let you be an antquisitor, but it won't do anything.

Yes, I made sure to rebalance some stuff. Weirdly enough, Power Seekers were horribly underpowered last time (stat total 10 where others had 13 or even 16 for the Guardian) yet we had more Power Seekers than any other type and I was the only one to play a Guardian.
    You can still increase them with with magic or tech, it just takes a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    Oh yeah I want this subclass back. Also one thing, are hero traits we develop exclusive to the developer unless taught to someone else or does everyone get them automatically?
    Other heroes won't get them automatically, but you can teach it to any number of other heroes with your action. The description will say "Currently exclusive to JoJoAnt" or whomever, until you do so. It should be noted, however, that this is limited to heroes that are present in the same location (and I will be tracking locations for various characters) unless you develop telepathy or something.
    Last edited by Sniccups; 2019-04-29 at 05:03 PM.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    I'll let you be an antquisitor, but it won't do anything.

Yes, I made sure to rebalance some stuff.

You can still increase them with with magic or tech, it just takes a bit more.

Other heroes won't get them automatically, but you can teach it to any number of other heroes with your action. The description will say "Currently exclusive to JoJoAnt" or whomever, until you do so. It should be noted, however, that this is limited to heroes that are present in the same location (and I will be tracking locations for various characters) unless you develop telepathy or something.
    Oh ok, can we develop the hero traits in secret? I want to have a trump card or two that no one knows about in case we go against mind reading/control or traitors from the hive be they PC or NPC. Also I kinda want to be an antquisitor as well even if it does nothing.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    Oh ok, can we develop the hero traits in secret? I want to have a trump card or two that no one knows about in case we go against mind reading/control or traitors from the hive be they PC or NPC. Also I kinda want to be an antquisitor as well even if it does nothing.
    I seem to remember that last time you were a ninja antquisitor ronin with a Byakugan. At this point, I would be surprised if you didn't take the ridiculous options.
    However, I may introduce actual hero subclasses in the future.

On the note of secret hero traits: that sounds like a cool idea, actually. I'll allow it, but remember that we won't be getting too many hero traits for quite a while. Remember, you start with one power source and 0 power research.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

My Nexus character

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I seem to remember that last time you were a ninja antquisitor ronin with a Byakugan. At this point, I would be surprised if you didn't take the ridiculous options.
    However, I may introduce actual hero subclasses in the future.

On the note of secret hero traits: that sounds like a cool idea, actually. I'll allow it, but remember that we won't be getting too many hero traits for quite a while. Remember, you start with one power source and 0 power research.
    Heh, good times. How could you expect me to NOT take ridiculous options after all if they arte available. Also the hero subclasses thing could be interesting.

Oh yeah I probably will develop two or three secret hero traits to use as trump cards if absolutely necessary, I don't expect it to be soon though. And even if we don't have any magical power, I might delve more into the martial stuff this time around and start there.

Edit:

Also will we be getting turn 1 today or friday? I mean, after all this is a short vote so I don't know if it counts as one of the days of our schedule.

On a separate note I made a document for plans for Rise of Ants. This way we can coordinate better and also it lets you see our plans before we execute them so you can think about stuff before posts even happen if you want to.
    Last edited by flappeercraft; 2019-04-29 at 06:55 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Flappeercraft wants to be Batman, got it.

My ant will undergo the Fantastic (f)Journeys of Fiona.
    Iím down for the Size up options Iíll review them some later.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I'm good with eliminating Xihirli. I'm not sure how she has managed to live as long as she has.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceseer View Post
    I really wanted what Xihirli said to be true though.
    That was a lot of awesome backstabbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Flappeercraft wants to be Batman, got it.

My ant will undergo the Fantastic (f)Journeys of Fiona.
    Iím down for the Size up options Iíll review them some later.
    Nah, I want to be Joseph Joestar but for that I need magic first so right now I'll make do.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Dave Foreici Espimoda (Just call him Dave), the Pitt Boss, suggests that the ants follow the paths of the Adepts and the Productive.
    In addition, Dave thinks that the hive should call itself Vannethia.
    Last edited by Eternis; 2019-04-29 at 11:30 PM.
    Xykon's not Evil. He just get bored really easily. And he doesn't have constructive hobbies.
    Spoiler: Gen/Degen
    Show
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your signature and add one.
    Degeneration 92
    The first time you see this, copy it into your signature and subtract one.
    Spoiler: Super Secret Awesome Point Counter
    Show

Iceseer - 3

HUGS FOR ALL!
    Spoiler: I be an awesome pokemon
    Show

Spoiler: Le Quotes on le topic of Me
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    You're a perfect person.
    Isn't Socksy adorabibbles?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay. I've got my abdomen together now.

1 - Swelling Horde: +2 Size, +1 Growth, Swarm (doubles the outcome of an action, 3 turn cooldown)

Fiona shall be a Speedster. She's a scout and explorer.
    Show
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    I'm good with eliminating Xihirli. I'm not sure how she has managed to live as long as she has.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Okay. I've got my abdomen together now.

You get to choose two.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

My Nexus character

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Conquerors for the second one then.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Get ready to bury your corpses, because I'm about to introduce you to... Antigone!

Antigone will be a speedster. Oh and an Ant-quisiter.

Backstory: The Antigone Family founded the Ant-quisiters. through blood an toil they have fought for centuries to keep the hives blood pure. Now, the youngest (and fastest) of the Antigone noble family has emerged to bring the world to heel.

I say Massiveand Swelling hoard.
    Last edited by kinglinus1; 2019-04-30 at 12:21 PM.
    Whether loved or hated, all characters die. A minority opinion holds that the righteous ones are really just Put on a Bus until the head writer's son gets back from his coffee break.

Thank you Honest Tiefling for this Rocking Avatar, Man I like that Tiefling.

"Sorry I couldnít get on yesterday, personal stuff happened. Why are we lynching a boat?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

So currently in the running for names:

Vannethia
    The Golden Hive

I'm not gonna throw one in since the last one was named after me. What I'm thinking we could do is combine the two. Like countries that have names and titles.
    Britain: The United Kingdom
    Japan: Empire of the Rising Sun
    China: The Middle Kingdom
    Something like that. So we could be
    Vannethia: The Golden Hive
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

I say we name it hive Croverus, in the memory of those we lost.
    Whether loved or hated, all characters die. A minority opinion holds that the righteous ones are really just Put on a Bus until the head writer's son gets back from his coffee break.

"Sorry I couldnít get on yesterday, personal stuff happened. Why are we lynching a boat?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll join in if I may.

My votes go to Swelling Horde and Structured.

My hero will be Antitan, a guardian.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    I'll join in if I may.

My votes go to Swelling Horde and Structured.

My hero will be Antitan, a guardian.
    What was this place, your home?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

And reprising her previous role: Theoanta the Generalist!
    I vote Swelling horde and Adept.

Also I quite like Xihirli's idea so another vote for Vannethia: The Golden Hive

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sure, I'll vote for Vanethia the Golden Hive aswell.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalZandax View Post
    And reprising her previous role: Theoanta the Generalist!
    I vote Swelling horde and Adept.

Also I quite like Xihirli's idea so another vote for Vannethia: The Golden Hive
    We now have at least one hero of every type! This is a well-rounded hive.

Also, would "Vannethia" be spelled with one or two "N"s?

Edit: A weird bit of trivia that I just remembered.
    Originally, in the first game, you would only have started with a Power Source if you chose Adept. Good thing for the development of the story that Xihirli did!
    Last edited by Sniccups; 2019-04-30 at 03:49 PM.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

My Nexus character

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I say two N's, as that was the original proposal and I think it looks better.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    What was this place, your home?
    I'm not sure what you're asking me here, can you elaborate?

I say two N's, as that was the original proposal and I think it looks better.
    I agree.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    I'm not sure what you're asking me here, can you elaborate?

Oh sorry, I was trying to make an Infinity War reference. I failed. Your name had Titan in it so... I kinda thought something was there?

Also I know everyones kinda decided, but I like my suggestion my suggestion Hive Croverus, because Croverus was the person who started the game, all those years ago...
    Last edited by kinglinus1; 2019-04-30 at 07:33 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    Also I know everyones kinda decided, but I like my suggestion my suggestion Hive Croverus, because Croverus was the person who started the game, all those years ago...
    If you want, I can name something else in the game after Croverus.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

My Nexus character

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Definitely two 'n's. It is very important that there are two 'n's.
    Xykon's not Evil. He just get bored really easily. And he doesn't have constructive hobbies.
    Spoiler: Gen/Degen
    Show
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your signature and add one.
    Degeneration 92
    The first time you see this, copy it into your signature and subtract one.
    Spoiler: Super Secret Awesome Point Counter
    Show

Iceseer - 3

HUGS FOR ALL!
    Spoiler: I be an awesome pokemon
    Show

Spoiler: Le Quotes on le topic of Me
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    You're a perfect person.
    Isn't Socksy adorabibbles?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

If you want, I can name something else in the game after Croverus.
    Yay! It's always nice to pay your respects to the OG's, you know?