The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

Vannethia, the Golden Horde

Size 34, Growth 2, Offense 4, Defense 4, Speed 4
    Skill Research 20/27
    Power Research 28/27
    Food 28/30

Colony
    Power Chamber- Holds your Power Source. Actions can be spent to do Research on the source to unlock new Power Traits.
    Central Hive- Includes the Queen's chamber, the resting areas, and the central tunnel leading to the surface. All other sections of the Colony branch off from here.
    Soldier Warren- Soldiers rest and train here, located higher up along the central tunnel to allow early reaction to attacks on the Hive.
    Food Storage- Can currently hold 20 food.
    Pit Traps- Protective traps dug around the entrance.
    Watch Posts- Regular patrols of the immediate area are based out of these.
    Treehoppers- You have 1 size of treehoppers, hatched and raised in the hive. Feeding them requires either a hive action or 3 hero actions until you figure out a way to stop them from leaving, but this is currently the responsibility of a Hopper Feeding Force.
    Garden Plot- You have grown plants here. These are a consistent source of food, adding a flat 2 to all food gathering (except itís actually 4 because of your Life powers). This is gathered each turn by the Food Force.
    You have now planted Heliconia seeds here, which should yield vines growing up the Great Tree and beautiful hanging flowers soon.
    Plant Spikes- Your newest defense consists of plants grown into piky, hazardous shapes, as grown by Theoanta and Ant-Eye.
    Colony Subgroups- Your Hive Partitioning skill lets you divide smaller groups from the colony.
    -Food Force- This group gathers food every turn, and brings in the 2 (well, 4) food per turn from your garden. Force 1/3
    -Hopper Feeding Force- This force feeds the treehoppers every turn, and keeps them from leaving the hive. Force 2/3
    -Power Research Force- This group researches Power every turn. Force 3/3
    -Myrmidons- Antitan found the most promising soldiers in the colony for this squad, and has been experimenting on them so they can be more effective fighters. Currently, he has increased their Defense to 6.

Discoveries
    Power Source- A perfect, bright golden orb that emits strange magical energies, located in your Power Chamber. Allows you to research Power. You now know how to avert the effects of failure during research, so even a critical failure wonít cause anything bad to happen.
    Great Tree- The colony is built underneath an enormous, beautiful tree, larger than those around it and surrounded by undergrowth. The entrance to your colony is between two of its roots, with the main trunk to the north of the entrance. Apparently has the potential to boost magic effects using your Life powers.
    Treehoppers- Small creatures that look like leaves at a distance and move around by jumping. They live high on the tree, as well as on the smaller plants around it, where they drink sap by piercing the plant with their mouthparts. They secrete a sweet fluid sometimes.
    You have now discovered that baby treehoppers (nymphs) look exactly like smaller adults, unlike ant larvae, and molt periodically. In addition, you now know that unlike ants, all treehoppers are capable of mating. They lay eggs inside the plants they live on.
    Walking Sticks- The other type of insect that lives on your tree, these are far larger than you or the treehoppers and are indistinguishable from sticks while they stand still.
    Stream- Wider across than the length of a hundred ants, this stream is south of the Great Tree. It flows from west to east, and was discovered to turn northward after a while by Fiona and Antigone. You have now marked its banks with pheromones.
    New discoveries by Antigone and Fiona show that it flows northeast for quite some time, farther than a turnís journey, after which it joins with an even larger stream that flows north.
    Sloth- An enormous creature that is located in a neighboring tree. It has four limbs with three claws on each, gray-green fur, and does not like to move very much.
    Klaffet- Another hive of ants that live in a tree far to the north-northeast. Antigone is the only one to know about them or have interacted with them, but she has actually talked to them and gone into the hive. It is a roughly spherical mass of leaves woven together with silk, and it is inhabited by small red ants. They have a Power Source, which is red-orange and is not a sphere.
    Heliconia- A strange plant with even stranger, yet beautiful flowers that look like red beaks or claws.. You can plant its seeds if you want.
    Poison- Antigone discovered that certain plants can be affected by Life magic in such a way to produce a very deadly poison. She knows how she made it, and can recognize the plant, but does not know how to get its seeds.
    Centipede- Fiona once saw a great brown-black arthropod, bigger than a walking stick, with many legs and long antennae - and it seemed predatory.

Biological Traits
    Appearance: You used to look like most other ants, with black chitin and three rings of golden yellow around the abdomen.
    After gaining Life powers, your black chitin has started to turn more towards green. Your golden stripes, however, remain unaffected.
    Swarm- Doubles the outcome of an action, positive or negative. 3 turn cooldown. Ready to use.

Skill Traits
    Rudimentary Tools- Some workers have begun using small objects (sticks, rocks, etc) as tools to help them work more effectively.
    Growing- You can plant and grow seeds, and then harvest the plants.
    Hive Partitioning- You can create task forces for specific purposes within your hive.

Power Traits
    Life (moderate) - You have an increased rapport with the growth and form of the life around you - and this jungle is teeming with life. You gain a 100% bonus to all food gathered or produced, and plants around you grow much faster and larger.

Hero Traits
    Strengthen Self- Using your Life powers, you can strengthen your chitin and muscles to double your Attack or Armor, or gain a 50% bonus to both. Currently known by JoJoAnt, Antitan, Zektak, and Dave.
    Untiring- Thanks to your Life power, you can go for extended periods of time without food or rest. When traveling long distances, this can effectively double your Speed due to no longer needing to stop. Currently known by JoJoAnt and Fiona.
    Heal Self- If a hero takes damage, they can heal themself for up to 2 health. Currently known by JoJoAnt, Zektak, Antitan, and Dave.
    Wings- Antimony and JoJoAnt have managed to grow wings. For Antimony, it took all of the physical and magical energy she had, but she did it. JoJoAnt did it with energy provided by Zektak. Antimony now knows how to fly with them.
    Plant Manipulation- The art of using your Life powers to accelerate the growth of plants and make them into a particular shape.
    -Ladder Plant- Discovered by Theoanta, this is an easily climbable shape.
    -Spike Plant Discovered by Theoanta and Zektak, this shape can be used as a defense. They are set up around the hive entrance

Heroes - In Hive
    JoJoAnt: Soldier - Health 6, Attack 3, Armor 3, Speed 2, Skill 1, Power 2
    Ant-Eye Aircraft Weaponry: Power Seeker - Health 5, Attack 1, Armor 1, Speed 3, Skill 2, Power 5
    Antimony: Power Seeker - Health 5, Attack 1, Armor 1, Speed 3, Skill 2, Power 5
    Dave Foreici Espimoda: Pit Boss - Health 6, Attack 1, Armor 2, Speed 2, Skill 3, Power 3
    Antitan: Guardian - Health 8, Attack 1, Armor 4, Speed 1, Skill 1, Power 2
    Theoanta: Generalist - Health 6, Attack 2, Armor 2, Speed 2, Skill 3, Power 2
    Zektak: Power Seeker - Health 5, Attack 1, Armor 1, Speed 3, Skill 2, Power 5

Heroes - Outside Hive
    Antigone: Speedster - Health 5, Attack 2, Armor 1, Speed 6, Skill 2, Power 1 - 4/5 of the way back from Klaffet, with a group of Klaffese ants
    Fiona: Speedster - Health 5, Attack 2, Armor 1, Speed 6, Skill 2, Power 1 - lost in the jungle after traveling 2 turns northeast, 1 north, then 1 west-ish following the centipede
    Last edited by Sniccups; 2019-06-14 at 02:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

- Research Power
    - Research Skill
    - Research Basic Weapons
    - Plant Heliconia in garden

Antitan will see if either JoJoAnt or Zektak can make time to teach Heal Self this round. If they're both busy with other things, he will continue training of the elite squad.

The squad will be known as the Myrmidons for now.

Also, can we get a cooldown timer for the Swarm power in the summary post? It was a bit unfair to the others that I basically decided on where to apply it on my own the last time, so I feel like we should have some reminder whenever it is useable.
    Last edited by Morgaln; 2019-06-11 at 05:56 AM.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

- Research Power!
    - Research Skill
    - Create Research Power Force

Zektak is super proud to be called for help. He'll gladly teach Antitan. If it is possible to teach and be taught at the same time, Zektak would like Antitan to teach him about Strengthen Self. He also prods Antitan to get his poster Morgaln to vote Research Power! with an exclamation! mark!

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

- Research Power!
    - Research Skill

I'm going to go out on a limb here on the way back - I'm going to try and develop wine.

I have no idea if that makes any sense at all, but if it does, I will.
    Whether loved or hated, all characters die. A minority opinion holds that the righteous ones are really just Put on a Bus until the head writer's son gets back from his coffee break.

Thank you Honest Tiefling for this Rocking Avatar, Man I like that Tiefling.

"Sorry I couldnít get on yesterday, personal stuff happened. Why are we lynching a boat?"

5. - Top - End - #275
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

- Research Power
    - Research Skill
    - Research Basic Weapons

Theoanta will continue Plant Shaping.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

- Research Power!
    - Research Skill

Puttting a moratorium on his personal quest, Dave wanders over to Zektak and joins in the lesson they're giving to Antitan.
    Xykon's not Evil. He just get bored really easily. And he doesn't have constructive hobbies.
    Spoiler: Gen/Degen
    Show
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your signature and add one.
    Degeneration 92
    The first time you see this, copy it into your signature and subtract one.
    Spoiler: Super Secret Awesome Point Counter
    Show

Iceseer - 3

HUGS FOR ALL!
    Spoiler: I be an awesome pokemon
    Show

Spoiler: Le Quotes on le topic of Me
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    You're a perfect person.
    Isn't Socksy adorabibbles?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

- Research Power
    - Research Skill
    - Research Basic Weapons

JoJoAnt tries to grow out his chitin more like the ant soldiers gathered last round
    Last edited by flappeercraft; 2019-06-12 at 05:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    The squad will be known as the Myrmidons for now.
    Oh, of course.

Also, can we get a cooldown timer for the Swarm power in the summary post? It was a bit unfair to the others that I basically decided on where to apply it on my own the last time, so I feel like we should have some reminder whenever it is useable.
    Yes! Added to the Hive Stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Zweanslord View Post
    He also prods Antitan to get his poster Morgaln to vote Research Power! with an exclamation! mark!
    Fortunately for you, I count the votes myself, so there isnít actually any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    Xankz tries to grow out his chitin more like the ant soldiers gathered last round
    I think you forgot that you changed the name of your hero since the last game.
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Zektak (and myself) like it when posters vote Research Power! with an exclamation! mark! instead of just "Research Power" without an exclamation! mark! Hence the prodding! After all, Zektak is a Power! Seeker!

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zektak is super proud to be called for help. He'll gladly teach Antitan. If it is possible to teach and be taught at the same time, Zektak would like Antitan to teach him about Strengthen Self. He also prods Antitan to get his poster Morgaln to vote Research Power! with an exclamation! mark!
    Antitan is happy for the help and will certainly teach Zektak about Strengthen Self. If it is not possible to teach and be taught in one turn, he promises to spend next turn to do so.
    He will also try to follow the prodding, as soon as he has figured out what the terms "Morgaln" and "exclamation mark" actually mean .
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

- Research Power!
    - Research Skill
    - Research Basic Weapons

Fiona shall follow the centipede to see if she can determine where it lives. And if things go wrong she will use her cowardice to escape.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I'm good with eliminating Xihirli. I'm not sure how she has managed to live as long as she has.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceseer View Post
    I really wanted what Xihirli said to be true though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    That was a lot of awesome backstabbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

- Research Power!
    - Research Skill

Antimony continues to try to learn Untiring. It'd be nice if she could get help from one of the two who know how already if they're not too busy forgetting their own name and such.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    I think you forgot that you changed the name of your hero since the last game.
    Old habits die hard

14. - Top - End - #284
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zektak (and myself) like it when posters vote Research Power! with an exclamation! mark! instead of just "Research Power" without an exclamation! mark! Hence the prodding! After all, Zektak is a Power! Seeker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Partchett
    'Multiple exclamation marks,' he went on, shaking his head, 'are a sure sign of a diseased mind.'
    Also, I would like to clarify that by wards I mean magical defenses (because we have life power, I'd expect things like spontaneous thorns and prehensile vines, though my end goal is full on Plants Vs. Zombies level madness and seed-shooting-guns capable of taking out a flying goliath beetle (do goliath beetles fly?), but baby steps...)

-Research. Power. (Because I am calm and sane, unlike some people)
    -Create tree hopper training, feeding, and riding squad (read: eventual elite cavalry team)
    -Research Skill
    -Create Power Research squad

Ant-Eye will help with power research, again with a focus on wards. If that isn't possible yet, he will try to hone his life-sensing abilities to differentiate between different types of life in the area around him (so that I know if we are under attack).
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Doesn't that quote only apply to the following case?

- Research Power!!!!!
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-06-14 at 06:10 AM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Turn 12: Fungus!

Actions
    -Research Power
    -Research Skill
    -Create Power Research Force
    -Plant Heliconia in garden

Zektak teaches Antitan to Heal himself, and Antitan returns the favor by teaching Zektak to Strengthen himself. Dave listens in and learns both.

Antigone almost gets back to the hive. Almost, but not quite. Trying to create ďwineĒ yields no results.

Theoanta manages to grow a plant into a spiky, hazardous shape. Ant-Eye immediately sees this as an opportunity for a defense of the hive, and together they grow spikes on all the plants around the hive, including all across the base of the Great Tree.

Fiona follows the centipede away from the stream. It takes a meandering path to the west, and Fiona eventually loses her sense of where she is relative to the streams and hive. Fiona is now lost in the jungle, many turnsí journey away from the hive.

JoJoAnt tries to make his chitin permanently stronger. Not much progress is made, and it seems kind of pointless since he can use Strengthen Self at will.

Antimony again tries to figure out Untiring on her own, and again it doesnít go too well. It would probably be easier to convince another hero to teach it to her.
    (I donít know why this keeps happening. Your rolls never seem to go well.)

Research Power
    Success! Power +4

Research Skill
    Failure

Plant Heliconia in garden
    Heliconia is a vine, so you plant it next to the Great Tree so it can climb up the tree. Due to your growth-accelerating Life powers, it should be flowering in a turn or two.

The Food Force brings in the 4 food from the garden, and while gathering they discover a large accumulation of edible fungus on the root of a nearby tree, which yields 12 food in total.

The Treehopper Feeding Force brings the hoppers outside to eat. Presumably, the eggs will hatch in a few turns.

The Power Research Force gives you +2 Power.
    Next Power Trait reached! Choices below.

4 Food consumed
    +2 Size from Growth
    Swarm recharged

Begin Voting!

Spoiler: Power Traits
    Show

Life, greater- The next level in your Life abilities, this would drastically increase your ability to shape and control the life around you.

Fire- Control of the flames. I would not recommend this, seeing as any mistake would set the undergrowth in flames.

Lightning- A strange energy. You would probably need either higher Skill or quite a lot of experimentation to figure out how to use this effectively.

Cold- The opposite of Fire. No one in this jungle, yourselves included, have ever experienced this sort of thing. (It's a jungle, so it's in the tropics.)

Earth- Control of the ground and its materials. May be useful for colony construction, but you can do that with just antpower.

LOCKED- You need a Skill Trait for this.

LOCKED- You need a Skill Trait for this.

Air- Control of the atmosphere and the winds. Likely is able to synergize with most other magic.

Sound- An odd ability that doesn't seem very antlike, but that might just mean that no one expects it.

Motion- Control over the movement of objects. Can help you with science, but also requires quite a lot of knowledge to develop beyond the basics.

Water- Control of the streams, lakes, rivers, and any other water you may find. Also the rain, which is nice because this is a rainforest.

LOCKED- You need a particular science for this.

Void- Possibly the strangest power of all, this is the power of nothingness. You honestly don't know what this could do.

LOCKED- You need higher skill to even think about this.

Mind- Psionic powers, basically. Probably helps you be more organized due to direct connections between minds.

Sense- Abilities relating to the senses. Both illusions and the opposite are part of this.

Arcane- Abilities relating to pure, unchanged magic. Probably also helps with learning other abilities.
    Last edited by Sniccups; 2019-06-14 at 02:50 PM.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Vote: Life, Greater

- Research Power! with the power of the Swarm!
    - Research Skill
    - Research AWESOME LIFE POWER!
    - Expand Food Stores

Zektak is happy to see Antitan and Dave learn new things, while he learns something himself too. However, Antimony has now, twice in a row, not learned something! This can't stand! Zektak walks over to Antimony and offers to teach anything he has available, or pool effort to let Antimony learn Untiring! GO ANTIMONY!
    Also, if Zektak can in the progress learn Untiring too, he wouldn't mind that at all either.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-06-14 at 03:12 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Sorry I forgot earlier, but Swarm has recharged for this round. I've edited my above posts to reflect this.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

My Nexus character

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

What was the centipede doing when Fiona first encountered it?
    Show
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    I'm good with eliminating Xihirli. I'm not sure how she has managed to live as long as she has.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    What was the centipede doing when Fiona first encountered it?
    Walking around through the undergrowth, presumably looking for things to eat.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

My Nexus character

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

- Research Skill
    - Expand Food Stores

Antigone asks the ants she's traveling with if there are any real leaders at there hive, or any heroes, sort of like we have.
    Whether loved or hated, all characters die. A minority opinion holds that the righteous ones are really just Put on a Bus until the head writer's son gets back from his coffee break.

"Sorry I couldnít get on yesterday, personal stuff happened. Why are we lynching a boat?"

22. - Top - End - #292
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

- Research Power!
    - Research Skill with the power of the Swarm!
    - Expand Food Stores

Theoanta will take a break from Plant Shaping to try to make a healing spell.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm good with Zweanslord

- Research Skill
    - Expand Food Stores

Fiona is going to try to find the stream again and from there head back toward the colony.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

- Research Skill
    - Expand Food Stores

JoJoAnt tries to learn to fly guided by Antimony, he teaches him Untiring in return along with any other hero who might want to join (if this is too much for a turn then I'll teach next)

Last edited by flappeercraft; 2019-06-15 at 12:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I'm good with Zweanslord

- Research Skill
    - Expand Food Stores
    Yay!

Zektak suggests to JoJoAnt that Antimony is very likely to want to teach JoJoAnt to learn how to fly if he teaches Antimony Untiring.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-06-15 at 04:08 AM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I very much like the fact that we seem to be dividing into factions about exclamation points.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

My Nexus character

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

- Research Power!
    - Research Skill with the power of the Swarm!
    - Expand Food Stores

In expectation of increased life power, Antitan will experiment on the Myrmidons and himself again. His goal is to turn the spikes on his body long and sturdy enough that they can deal damage to attackers. His ultimate goal is to also allow himself to shoot these spikes at enemies and regrow them, but I assume our current life power isn't strong enough for that effect yet.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

Yay!

Zektak suggests to JoJoAnt that Antimony is very likely to want to teach JoJoAnt to learn how to fly if he teaches Antimony Untiring.
    Ha, look at you nerds "learning things" when you could have been stuck on an escort mission for 5 turns.
    Last edited by kinglinus1; 2019-06-15 at 11:53 AM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Power Vote: Life, Greater

- Research Skill$
    - Expand Food Stores%

Antimony happily teaches JoJoAnt flying in exchange for group learning Untiring with Zektak.

@Zweanslord: Thanks.

@kinglinus1: lol/ouch!

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh crap, I had not seen you had been trying to learn untiring, sorry, wasn't paying much attention to other hero actions