The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 390 of 745
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Xihirli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Astral Plane
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Maybe we could try transmuting muscle from already dead bodies.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I'm good with eliminating Xihirli. I'm not sure how she has managed to live as long as she has.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceseer View Post
    I really wanted what Xihirli said to be true though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    That was a lot of awesome backstabbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

  2. - Top - End - #362
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Definitely Somewhere

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    I'd like to apologize to Ramsus for what has been happening. I know that it seems like you get the lowest rolls most of the time, so to make up for these failures I'll give a piece of advice on how I tend to interpret your scientific endeavors:

    An animal isn't like a plant. A plant can keep growing into new shapes throughout its life. One tree might have twice as many branches as its neighbor, but they can still be considered the same species. Animals don't do that. An ant will always have six legs, two compound eyes, a three-sectioned body, and a pair of mandibles. In addition, an animal requires all of its organs to keep itself alive and working. An ant needs its brain, its dorsal vessel (insect heart equivalent), its exoskeleton to attach muscles to, etc..
    Look back at the various sci-fi civilizations that use this organic tech. Their buildings, vehicles, ships, and so on are alive. Each one is not constructed from organic materials, it is modified from a pre-existing animal - because it it so much easier to modify than to create, when it comes to living things. To make a ship, it would be much easier to make it from a fish than to grow the bones, muscles, and organs yourself. You don't need to know how cells really work to do the former, and you wouldn't have to lay out a massive number of blood vessels. With your powerful magic but primitive understanding of biology and biochemistry. it is much easier to alter than to create. Take an ant or a treehopper and turn it into whatever you want, as long as you know what you want it to be.

    Again, I apologise for not posting this earlier and rendering some of your efforts invalid. (Also for not saying in the turn that kinglinus and I had planned that poisoning thing over PMs. I really should have thought about that.)
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

    Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

    My Nexus character

  3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    That is actually a radically different impression I got from living spaceships. Maybe we've based our thoughts on the matter on different specifics. Or maybe one or both of us are making assumptions or lack specific knowledge that other has about such setting details. Though that's actually completely irrelevant, though interesting.

    My thoughts were really much more like making or changing a plant to use muscle-like fibers rather than plant...stuff. Whatever plants are do. Yeah. Since my goal was "construction material" and not "specific purpose tool" like an actual ship is.

    (As a side note, I actually had a sci-fi game I was going to run that never got off the ground, Xihirli was going to play in it, that actually had both types as well as a cyborg spaceship that actually would have been the closest to what I'm going for here. Those ones were basically vat-grown things that were custom genetically and cybernetically modified. The other type were one that was a modified species of animal (in the way dogs are a species but come in countless different forms/specialties) and one that was a naturally occurring plant ship that because of being plants just came in various forms. I even had an explanation for "why!?" about those.)

    Wait, was the poisoning intentional? Or was him just preparing for things going wrong intentional on his part and poisoning happening something on your part? Because those are radically different things. (Because it's pretty uncool for a single player to just randomly declare war on basically already allies for the whole hive without asking opinions. Even if they were the one doing the work of making friends with them in the first place.)

  4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Xihirli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Astral Plane
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Ah I remember that. I got real excited for it because I could make Cthulhu monsters and bug people.

    One of the ships were from a race of single-cell organisms that could replicate at will and were just big.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-06-30 at 09:02 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Actually, here's the setting doc for that game with the detailed info in case anyone is curious: Five Galaxies

  6. - Top - End - #366
    Orc in the Playground
     
    kinglinus1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    The Gildenswery Inn,
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Wait, was the poisoning intentional?
    I can't believe you would even ask me that!

    Obviously it was intentional, I had made a bunch of poison, I was the one who brought the food, I didn't eat any, I made a plan to run away not if but when things turned sour. Heck the turn was named "Antigone's plan".

    What more evidence do you need, me playing "The Rains of Castamere"?
    Whether loved or hated, all characters die. A minority opinion holds that the righteous ones are really just Put on a Bus until the head writer's son gets back from his coffee break.

    Thank you Honest Tiefling for this Rocking Avatar, Man I like that Tiefling.

    "Sorry I couldnít get on yesterday, personal stuff happened. Why are we lynching a boat?"

  7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Xihirli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Astral Plane
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    That would help me catch up, if you wouldnít mind.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I'm good with eliminating Xihirli. I'm not sure how she has managed to live as long as she has.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceseer View Post
    I really wanted what Xihirli said to be true though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    That was a lot of awesome backstabbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

  8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Ok, yes the clues were there. But on the other hand this is a cooperative game and you had to know full well nobody else would like you doing that without so much as a heads up. Why on earth would I or anyone else expect you to sabotage the game out of nowhere?
    Not only is it just plain rude to put us at war with people who were obviously going to be our allies for NO REASON AT ALL without so much as asking for an opinion or a warning you were going to do it.... but it's also just.... pointless. We're aren't the least bit prepared for a war. We've only just started building defenses and don't have anything resembling a trained up military force (aside from ants being ants).
    Like it's just so.... not good. It's a bad way for you to treat the other players AND it's basically suicidally bad strategically. You cost us the huge military boon that is an entire hive being allied with us and turned them into something that will attack us while we're completely unprepared to either strike or defend ourselves. And all you accomplished was to kill two enemy heroes. Which means basically nothing considering how early in the game this is. If our heroes aren't majorly powerful yet, I would guess neither are theirs. So killing them is a tiny blow to their overall strength and not the major play it would be late game.

    I'm just going to assume Sniccups didn't warn you this kind of move would make other players less inclined to want to play with you? Because they really should have as the health of the game is their job to be concerned about. Which is unfortunate. Because I really don't want to play cooperative games with people who go behind everyone's back to do things they know everyone else will hate because they think it's ok to treat the game like it belongs to them alone.
    I really don't know what to say to Sniccups here. Yes the player technically had every right to do secret actions. But c'mon man. If it's ok for a single player to mess the game up for the rest of us how long do you think everyone is going to remain invested in the game?

    I'm going to guess that since Sniccups allowed it in the first place they won't consider a ret-con? Because that just.... not having happened would really be the best solution to the problem. Since it'd allow us to hope kinglinus learned its no good to treat cooperative games as something that belongs to just them. And it wouldn't punish the rest of us for like..... 20? 30? More? turns of enduring a situation none of the rest of us wanted or had any say in and just makes the game one of pointless struggle where we're not actually going to be able to do fun things like work on more skill, magic, building, exploring, or any of the fun things in the game. Because even combat won't be fun at this point since we haven't developed any tactics or methods of warfare.

    If this game does continue forward without a ret-con starting next turn Antimony is going to devote herself to hunting Antigone down and presenting his legless body to the other hive. Even if we're already at irrevocable war with them. And I'll keep killing kinglinus' heroes until one of us just stops playing or there's a sincere apology from kinglinus (though I'll tell you right now it's going to be difficult to convince me they're being genuine considering the situation) and everyone tells me I should stop. Though I have no idea why anyone would want me to.
    (Though this won't be any fun for me either as it basically means I don't get to play the game until one of us quits or the other players or Sniccups force it to a stop. And then I'll still probably enjoy the whole game less because my choice is either not play or having to play with a known selfish player who could at any time try and ruin the game for everyone else again.)

    Honestly, I can't even believe this is a real situation we're in on the second game of this.

    Edit: I'd also like to add that while I'd be annoyed at anyone treating a game selfishly like this, I'm a little bit extra annoyed because there was so much war stuff in the last game I wanted to focus on basically anything else but that this time around where possible. And this situation robs us of that possibility.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-06-30 at 01:36 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #369
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Guys we can't build anything without the Building skill.

    -Research Power.
    -Research Skill
    -Research Growth
    -Expand Food Storage

    Theoanta works on Healing spell again

    Skill Vote: Building

  10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Xihirli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Astral Plane
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Fiona will begin working on a map (assuming we have writing)
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I'm good with eliminating Xihirli. I'm not sure how she has managed to live as long as she has.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceseer View Post
    I really wanted what Xihirli said to be true though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    That was a lot of awesome backstabbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

  11. - Top - End - #371
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    -Research Power
    -Research Skill
    -Research Growth
    -Expand Food Storage

    Dave, upon hearing of the treachery, offers himself as recompense to the other hive, with as much assistance as necessary to hunt down this traitor if that is what they desire, until such time as both hives have reached agreement once more.

    If they decide to not accept his offer, he'll experiment on a random willing ant from Vannethia to see if he can get them to digest the sap.

    Spoiler
    Show

    While I think klingus had every right to do what they did, it's not exactly good for the Hive to have done it- there are some far better betrayal tactics.


    Skill Vote: Building
    Last edited by Eternis; 2019-07-01 at 01:19 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #372
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    -Research Power
    -Research Skill
    -Research Growth
    -Expand Food Storage

    Skill Vote: Building

    I don't think we know about the treachery yet, since Klaffet is five days away from us for regular ants. So Antitan will join in power research, since I don't have a good idea what else to do with him at the moment.

    I will admit that I had some idea of what was coming, since kinglinus dropped hints to me in PM. However, after learning that Klaffet is stronger than us, I didn't expect their actions to come this soon and be so inefficient, much less being so open about who to blame. We are in no position to take advantage of it at the moment and no efforts have been made to prepare for this, so all we got is a war we cannot win. I apologize for my error in judgement, I would certainly have advised kinglinus against this if I had expected it.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!


    How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

  13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Zweanslord's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Zektak, who is helping Theoanta with a Healing spell, takes a short break to walk over to Antitan: "Hey, want to help us with this power research? We're trying to figure out healing!"

    Ramsus, you mean the construction material like the Wraith ships in Stargate: Atlantis? I figure we'd need some skills, like building and biology, before we can properly succeed at that.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-07-01 at 03:51 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zweanslord View Post
    Ramsus, you mean the construction material like the Wraith ships in Stargate: Atlantis? I figure we'd need some skills, like building and biology, before we can properly succeed at that.
    That's actually exactly one of the two examples I had in mind. The other being the living ships in Farscape. I just wasn't going to use them as noted references here because if people weren't already familiar it seemed like a possibly pointless exercise in trying to explain the right parts of those things and not the wrong details since of course there's going to be setting specific things to each I wasn't really trying to go for.

    If your assumption is accurate, that feels reasonable. And we should probably looking into biology as a skill soon anyway given our magic is Life anyway. Probably make a lot of things we want to try and do with that easier if our ants actually understand what we're trying to make them do.

    Edit: Given that, I've changed my skill vote to Building. Because yeah I suppose it does make sense that regardless of what material you're using, it's going to help with making structures if you know how structures are at all supposed to work. I can just kind of imagine if we got it my idea working without the building skill. "Ok, we've got a sturdy flexible.... hollow log shape? Sorry, that's all we can manage right now, yay completely wasting the potential of this material to do weird things you can't with normal inflexible stuff!"
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-07-01 at 04:14 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #375
    Orc in the Playground
     
    kinglinus1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    The Gildenswery Inn,
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Ok, yes the clues were there. But on the other hand this is a cooperative game and you had to know full well nobody else would like you doing that without so much as a heads up. Why on earth would I or anyone else expect you to sabotage the game out of nowhere?
    Not only is it just plain rude to put us at war with people who were obviously going to be our allies for NO REASON AT ALL without so much as asking for an opinion or a warning you were going to do it.... but it's also just.... pointless. We're aren't the least bit prepared for a war. We've only just started building defenses and don't have anything resembling a trained up military force (aside from ants being ants).
    Like it's just so.... not good. It's a bad way for you to treat the other players AND it's basically suicidally bad strategically. You cost us the huge military boon that is an entire hive being allied with us and turned them into something that will attack us while we're completely unprepared to either strike or defend ourselves. And all you accomplished was to kill two enemy heroes. Which means basically nothing considering how early in the game this is. If our heroes aren't majorly powerful yet, I would guess neither are theirs. So killing them is a tiny blow to their overall strength and not the major play it would be late game.

    I'm just going to assume Sniccups didn't warn you this kind of move would make other players less inclined to want to play with you? Because they really should have as the health of the game is their job to be concerned about. Which is unfortunate. Because I really don't want to play cooperative games with people who go behind everyone's back to do things they know everyone else will hate because they think it's ok to treat the game like it belongs to them alone.
    I really don't know what to say to Sniccups here. Yes the player technically had every right to do secret actions. But c'mon man. If it's ok for a single player to mess the game up for the rest of us how long do you think everyone is going to remain invested in the game?

    I'm going to guess that since Sniccups allowed it in the first place they won't consider a ret-con? Because that just.... not having happened would really be the best solution to the problem. Since it'd allow us to hope kinglinus learned its no good to treat cooperative games as something that belongs to just them. And it wouldn't punish the rest of us for like..... 20? 30? More? turns of enduring a situation none of the rest of us wanted or had any say in and just makes the game one of pointless struggle where we're not actually going to be able to do fun things like work on more skill, magic, building, exploring, or any of the fun things in the game. Because even combat won't be fun at this point since we haven't developed any tactics or methods of warfare.

    If this game does continue forward without a ret-con starting next turn Antimony is going to devote herself to hunting Antigone down and presenting his legless body to the other hive. Even if we're already at irrevocable war with them. And I'll keep killing kinglinus' heroes until one of us just stops playing or there's a sincere apology from kinglinus (though I'll tell you right now it's going to be difficult to convince me they're being genuine considering the situation) and everyone tells me I should stop. Though I have no idea why anyone would want me to.
    (Though this won't be any fun for me either as it basically means I don't get to play the game until one of us quits or the other players or Sniccups force it to a stop. And then I'll still probably enjoy the whole game less because my choice is either not play or having to play with a known selfish player who could at any time try and ruin the game for everyone else again.)

    Honestly, I can't even believe this is a real situation we're in on the second game of this.

    Edit: I'd also like to add that while I'd be annoyed at anyone treating a game selfishly like this, I'm a little bit extra annoyed because there was so much war stuff in the last game I wanted to focus on basically anything else but that this time around where possible. And this situation robs us of that possibility.
    I think you looking at it like me sabotaging the game is just a bad way to look at things.

    This is not me trying to make the game worse for anyone else, this is me trying to make the game more interesting for everyone else. To me things are most interesting when you don't know what's going to happen.

    You say you wanted to do things differently this time, I absolutely agree, did anything remotely like this happen last game?

    I think the source of this disagreement, (And believe me, I was not trying to create a disagreement) is the way we view the hero action. One view of the hero action is as a tool used to advance the hives agreed upon goals. I however, prefer to use it to influence the story in unique ways. To me that sounds far better than just researching power every turn.

    In addition, it should be noted that I believe war is actually the best course of action right now. They are stronger than us, but they are only going to get stronger and strategically we have the advantage right now because they don't know where our hive is, and we know where theirs is. As for why we should go to war, plain and simply because this is probably going to be the easiest chance to get another power source, and also because I straight up do not trust them.

    (A note about diplomacy, I definitely want to do that sort of thing as well, but I don't think it's smart to do it with someone with a power cube.)

    I never wanted a fight about this! But all I ever meant to do was try something that we hadn't done yet, and this to be fair, matches that description.
    Whether loved or hated, all characters die. A minority opinion holds that the righteous ones are really just Put on a Bus until the head writer's son gets back from his coffee break.

    Thank you Honest Tiefling for this Rocking Avatar, Man I like that Tiefling.

    "Sorry I couldnít get on yesterday, personal stuff happened. Why are we lynching a boat?"

  16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Ok well... you explained your thinking so I'll at least agree to treat you with less hostility on the issue.

    But I still fundamentally don't agree with what you did. This is at heart a cooperative game up until the point the game runner tells us it's not supposed to be. So I'm still going to feel what you did was selfish and rude since it was never at any point made clear anyone's desire was to play the game in a non-cooperative manner. Like, if you're playing baseball you can't just suddenly pitch a bowling ball at the batter just because it makes the game "more interesting" and expect everyone to be cool with that. It's not the game people are there to play just because you decided with no warning or agreement you wanted to play that way. The logical reaction wouldn't be to shrug and say it's fine and carry on as if your action was valid, it would be to kick you out of the game and everyone else do their best to re-set things to the prior state of the game. And hopefully someone would explain to you how social contracts work.
    Edit: (I should note I'm not saying you need to be kicked out of the game if you can agree to follow whatever Sniccup's response to all this is about what the spirit of this game is supposed to be.)

    I also think you're forgetting the part where someone (I believe it was you but maybe it was someone else) invited them to just waltz right on into our hive. So they absolutely know where we live and what we've got in terms of size and defenses for the most part. So.... no we have absolutely no advantage.
    Also your logic that "someone is more powerful/might grow more powerful therefore we must immediately eliminate them without any kind of preparation for war and there's no value in allies" applied to the real world would have long ago resulted in a nuclear apocalypse so.... yeah, pretty sure that logic has a few flaws.

    But hey, by your own logic, doing whatever we feel like makes the game "more interesting" and all is fair or whatever. So if Sniccups does continue the game with your action being valid, I'm still totally going to hunt down your hero. Because by your own argument that's something we didn't do before and it doesn't matter if it's fun for you or anyone else as long as it's what I feel like doing right? And that "logic" still applies even if I never stop no matter how many heroes the two of us have to go through until I feel like stopping. Even if it results in a situation where you or everyone else are having less fun than if we played cooperatively.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-07-01 at 04:18 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #377
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Definitely Somewhere

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Iíll be honest; I donít know what to do here. I canít figure out whether I should have allowed the betrayal or not, and whether I should retcon it. Honestly, it never occurred to me that I could not allow an action. Iíve been a bit stressed about this situation, and I donít have anything written yet. Does anyone here have an idea?
    Last edited by Sniccups; 2019-07-01 at 04:36 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Xihirli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Astral Plane
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Well one thing I would ask Kinglinus is whether or not he wants to undo that action, based on the new knowledge that he's upset some of the other players. If he does that makes the decision much simpler, at least.

    Personally, I don't know what I'd have done if this had come up before, as it didn't. Whether I'd have weighed the sovereignty of one player over their hero over the understanding that this would have affected everyone, perhaps in a way that they wouldn't enjoy.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I'm good with eliminating Xihirli. I'm not sure how she has managed to live as long as she has.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceseer View Post
    I really wanted what Xihirli said to be true though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    That was a lot of awesome backstabbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

  19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    DPT's Window
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    If its worth anything. I don't mind in any way whatever the choice is. On one hand a war could be interesting but on the other hand we kinda didn't go for it and it was all kinglinus. My 2 cents, I don't care because both ways the game is still; fun for me

  20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    I guess that depends what you want the game to be. Do you want a game of cooperative control of a hive or do you want it to be a game where everyone does whatever they want with the shared resources available to them?

  21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    DPT's Window
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Is there no update today due to this issue?

  22. - Top - End - #382
    Orc in the Playground
     
    kinglinus1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    The Gildenswery Inn,
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I guess that depends what you want the game to be. Do you want a game of cooperative control of a hive or do you want it to be a game where everyone does whatever they want with the shared resources available to them?
    See that's just the thing: I've never actually thought about the exact nature of between player freedom and collaborative gaming, and I never fully thought of the perspective that they can hurt each other.

    I feel in over my head.
    Whether loved or hated, all characters die. A minority opinion holds that the righteous ones are really just Put on a Bus until the head writer's son gets back from his coffee break.

    Thank you Honest Tiefling for this Rocking Avatar, Man I like that Tiefling.

    "Sorry I couldnít get on yesterday, personal stuff happened. Why are we lynching a boat?"

  23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Just to be clear, that comment was aimed at Sniccups, not you. It's not your responsibility to decide for them what kind of game they want to run. It's our responsibility to abide by that decision.

    Though, not sure what there's to be in over your head about it. Pretty much anything has trade-offs and any game needs people to actually follow the agreed upon rules for it to function smoothly.

  24. - Top - End - #384
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    @Sniccups- Allowing the betrayal was fine; your job is to provide the world and the written rules. Unwritten responsibilities are our job to police. If KingLinus wants to take the action back, then do what you think is best, but otherwise, everyone just needs to accept the consequences of actions taken.

    Spoiler: King Linus and Philosophy
    Show


    Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1
    See that's just the thing: I've never actually thought about the exact nature of between player freedom and collaborative gaming, and I never fully thought of the perspective that they can hurt each other.
    Well, it falls under the same wing as the general social contract- humans must give up a portion of their autonomy to uphold certain rules about interaction.

    For the sake of argument, let's imagine you're a diplomat or perhaps just a public figure known to represent your country, and you decide to break all societal taboos of the culture you're visiting that aren't enforced by law; sure, you may have acted within all rules that apply to you, but you will have made life much harder for future interactions with that culture.

    The same expectations that grant you the power to influence also embue you with a commensurate responsibility to not take action that opposes the goals, designs, and will of those who gave you that power.

    Also @king: While I think we all agree that acting as a hive mind would make for a dull game, and nullify the purpose of heroes, the consequences of your actions nullify your stated goal of making the game more interesting. By taking the action you did, you removed our freedom as your fellow players, reducing our options for this interaction to "grovel for peace" or "go to war", which in either event will limit our long-term actions.

    Had you done this when we were in a better position- for example, when we had our super-troops within their hive, or were slightly superior to them militarily, that would have been interesting and opened up at least as many avenues as it closed in the short and probably long-term as well.

    Likewise, had you been more successful and taken out not only all their heroes but their queen, or destroyed/stolen some of their more powerful eggs into the bargain, we would be in an extreme position to negotiate from, or maybe had the capability to just march into their hive and possibly bend them to our will, if "mind" ends up being our next power trait.

    Instead, we are now permanently hampered in any future avenues of negotiation (the hive has proven itself untrustworthy) unless we destroy this enemy hive as soon as possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Though, not sure what there's to be in over your head about it. Pretty much anything has trade-offs and any game needs people to actually follow the agreed upon rules for it to function smoothly.
    To be fair to KingLinus, while the responsibilities of a player in a cooperative game are generally understood, these rules were not outright stated such that they might be clearly agreed upon. This doesn't absolve them of the consequences of their actions- the in-game responses of other players, say for example one's decision to repeatedly murder any future heroes of theirs, are perfectly justified under their own logic, if for no other reason than we haven't seen player/player conflict before and that would make things "interesting"- but it's not like people don't get tripped up on unspoken rules regularly.

    For the record- I'm not against war. Just against war now, when we're not in a position to truly take advantage of a surprise attack. In other words, I agree with Morgaln, and, given that Linus was happy to be in communication with at least one other player about this, am surprised at the timing and the fact that it's not a part of a coordinated effort.
    Last edited by Eternis; 2019-07-02 at 04:32 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #385
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    @Sniccups: I agree with Eternis here; it's not your job to disallow any actions, unless they are physically impossible. And you're not responsible for what any of our characters do.

    Personally, I think it is an interesting diplomatic challenge to try and convince Klaffet that this was not an attack by our hive but the action of one misguided individual. I see interesting story opportunities here, even if it means that we will have a more difficult position for a while. Problem with that is, if we want a peaceful solution, Antigone would have to be made an example of and/or delivered to Klaffet. So the question is whether kinglinus would be fine with taking a new character and whether Ramsus is willing to let the matter rest afterwards.
    If that is not possible, a retcon would be the better solution.
    @kinglinus: you didn't answer Xihirli's question on whether you would be willing to undo the action. Since that is important to the situation, I'd like to restate the question.

    One thing we could do in order to prevent situations like this in the future is to disallow secret actions. If everything we do is announced in this thread, we can discuss controversial actions before they happen. I think we are all capable of keeping player knowledge separate from character knowledge, so it shouldn't be a problem.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!


    How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

  26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    I feel like if kinglinus' secret action is allowed to go forward it's unfair if the rest of us lose the ability to do so. For example it would be extremely difficult to hunt down his hero if he knows everything they're doing. But also, more importantly, is that accepting that action as valid and moving forwards means that's the game we're agreeing to play. And if that's something that interests people (heck, even I'm interested in it, it just wasn't what I thought we were playing) then it's silly to stop at the first impactful thing and let kinglinus have that spotlight forever. The rest of us should have equal opportunities to do our own things that will surprise people.

  27. - Top - End - #387
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Definitely Somewhere

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Sorry I havenít posted in a while. I was on a trip, and spent most of the last few days on planes. However, that did give me some time to think about this situation and come to a conclusion.

    Iím not going to retcon it. I think it could be interesting to see how you defuse this situation. kinglinus, be warned that you may be considered a traitor and possibly put on trial by the hive when they hear about it.

    The next update should be either tomorrow or Monday. I would write it today, but I barely got any sleep last night and it probably wouldnít be very well written.
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

    Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

    My Nexus character

  28. - Top - End - #388
    Orc in the Playground
     
    kinglinus1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    The Gildenswery Inn,
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    Sorry I havenít posted in a while. I was on a trip, and spent most of the last few days on planes. However, that did give me some time to think about this situation and come to a conclusion.

    Iím not going to retcon it. I think it could be interesting to see how you defuse this situation. kinglinus, be warned that you may be considered a traitor and possibly put on trial by the hive when they hear about it.

    The next update should be either tomorrow or Monday. I would write it today, but I barely got any sleep last night and it probably wouldnít be very well written.
    Hell's Yeah! This is exactly what I was hoping for.
    Whether loved or hated, all characters die. A minority opinion holds that the righteous ones are really just Put on a Bus until the head writer's son gets back from his coffee break.

    Thank you Honest Tiefling for this Rocking Avatar, Man I like that Tiefling.

    "Sorry I couldnít get on yesterday, personal stuff happened. Why are we lynching a boat?"

  29. - Top - End - #389
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    Hell's Yeah! This is exactly what I was hoping for.
    Weird flex, but okay.

  30. - Top - End - #390
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Personification's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    CLASSIFIED
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

    Well, as long as I have this opportunity, I'm going to vote!

    Skill: Animal Training.
    -Send out a delegation (probably led by a hero) to return the corpses and explain what happened, ideally avoiding a war (Second-worst case scenario [with worst being a war we are losing] for me in this is that we have to pull a Matthew Perry)
    -Send the Myrmidons to capture the traitor
    -Improve defense
    -Study diplomacy

    Ant-Eye will try to use life-sense to pinpoint the traitor's location. If this isn't possible, he will work on improving defenses.


    EDIT: This post was made entirely on the basis of a misunderstanding of certain facts, the real post is later in the thread.
    Last edited by Personification; 2019-07-07 at 08:17 PM.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

    Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •