The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

Vannethia, the Golden Horde

Size 14, Growth 2, Offense 4, Defense 4, Speed 4, Skill 2, Power 6
    Skill Research 2/6
    Power Research 6/15
    Food 11/15

Colony
    Power Chamber- Holds your Power Source. Actions can be spent to do Research on the source to unlock new Power Traits.
    Central Hive- Includes the Queen's chamber, the resting areas, and the central tunnel leading to the surface. All other sections of the Colony branch off from here.
    Soldier Warren- Soldiers rest and train here, located higher up along the central tunnel to allow early reaction to attacks on the Hive.
    Food Storage- Can currently hold 15 food.
    Pit Traps- Protective traps dug around the entrance.
    Watch Posts- Regular patrols of the immediate area are based out of these.

Discoveries
    Power Source- A perfect, bright golden orb that emits strange magical energies, located in your Power Chamber. Allows you to research Power.
    Great Tree- The colony is built underneath an enormous, beautiful tree, larger than those around it and surrounded by undergrowth. The entrance to your colony is between two of its roots, with the main trunk to the north of the entrance.
    Treehoppers- Small creatures that look like leaves at a distance and move around by jumping. They live high on the tree, as well as on the smaller plants around it, where they drink sap by piercing the plant with their mouthparts. They secrete a sweet fluid sometimes.
    Walking Sticks- The other type of insect that lives on your tree, these are much larger than you or the treehoppers and look like, well, sticks that walk.
    Stream- Wider across than the length of a hundred ants, this stream is south of the Great Tree. It flows from west to east, and was discovered to turn northward after a while by Fiona and Antigone.

Biological Traits
    Appearance: You look like most other ants, with black chitin and three rings of golden yellow around the abdomen.
    Swarm- Doubles the outcome of an action, positive or negative. 3 turn cooldown.

Skill Traits
    Rudimentary Tools- Some workers have begun using small objects (sticks, rocks, etc) as tools to help them work more effectively.

Heroes
    JoJoAnt: Soldier - Health 6, Attack 3, Armor 2, Speed 2, Skill 1, Power 1
    Ant-Eye Aircraft Weaponry: Power Seeker - Health 5, Attack 1, Armor 1, Speed 3, Skill 2, Power 3
    Antimony: Power Seeker - Health 5, Attack 1, Armor 1, Speed 3, Skill 2, Power 3
    Fiona: Speedster - Health 5, Attack 2, Armor 1, Speed 4, Skill 2, Power 1
    Dave Foreici Espimoda: Pit Boss - Health 6, Attack 1, Armor 2, Speed 2, Skill 3, Power 1
    Antigone: Speedster - Health 5, Attack 2, Armor 1, Speed 4, Skill 2, Power 1
    Antitan: Guardian - Health 8, Attack 1, Armor 3, Speed 1, Skill 1, Power 1
    Theoanta: Generalist - Health 6, Attack 2, Armor 2, Speed 2, Skill 2, Power 1
    Zektak: Power Seeker - Health 5, Attack 1, Armor 1, Speed 3, Skill 2, Power 3
    Last edited by Sniccups; 2019-05-10 at 06:16 PM.
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

-Research Power
    -Research making some kind of bio-organic construction material (I'm thinking something a bit like muscle fibers. Durable but flexible.)
    -Get Food

Antimony tries to increase her own personal power, so that she might sooner be able to grow wings.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    -Research Power
    -Research making some kind of bio-organic construction material (I'm thinking something a bit like muscle fibers. Durable but flexible.)
    -Get Food

Antimony tries to increase her own personal power, so that she might sooner be able to grow wings.
    I'm not totally sure what you mean by "bio-organic construction material". Would it be made from plants? Silk?
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

4. - Top - End - #94
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

@Ramsus: Like Weaver ants or more like something else?
    Research Power
    Capture some of the tree-hoppersí eggs to raise the children in captivity as cattle
    Gather Food

Theoanta will look into why the was Power orb calmed down by a touch.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Research Power
    Capture some of the tree-hoppersí eggs to raise the children in captivity as cattle
    Gather Food

My next action is for JoJoAnt to start to work on finding the vulnerabilities of an Ant's body and use that to improve his martial art and exploit those weaknesses. He gets a couple volunteers to help him find these weaknesses (NPC or PC, doesn't matter).

Spoiler: Hamon briefing
    Show
    Ok so you wanted a small briefing of what Hamon is right? Essentially its the use of controlled respiration to increase the metabolism of the user and creating essentially life energy which is basically identical to the energy of the sun in some ways. This can be used for stuff such as accelerating healing, stopping pain, energy infused attacks (you can infuse objects), slowing aging and creating energy pulses which can help you with stuff as bizarre as sticking you to surfaces. However it is reliant on the ability of the user to be able to do the right breathing technique continuously to produce more energy so stuff like pierced lungs or being underwater is a hard counter unless you can somehow breathe and in the specific correct fashion that it requires, breathe wrong and you just don't produce any Hamon. Of course the stuff is pretty powerful but it really depends on the mastery of the user and things such as accelerated healing aren't insane, they are stuff like healing minor non-fatal injuries, maybe bones if you're good enough but it can't go around regenerating limbs or stuff like that. Although it can do stuff like eject foreign materials from your body. It's basically mixing that with martial arts and you have the whole thing done.

I don't expect it to go all the way there right now since we don't have any power traits right now but maybe stuff like very mildly accelerated healing, pain numbing and the basic stuff but even then not too powerful. So like maybe healing cuts and bruises and making stuff like broken bones heal better over time and such but not anything too major. Maybe the equivalent of Zoom Punch? Zoom Punch is basically forcibly disjoining your shoulder and using that to get extra reach for one attack while you use the pain numbing to stop the pain and put the arm back immediately. Yes it's kinda ridiculous so I don't expect much of it to be possible prior to developing some advanced magic powers, I did this mostly as groundwork and see if I can get a thing or two.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

@Sniccups/BrutalZandax: I'm thinking kind of more in the style of sci-fi alien biotech where you see structures/space-ships made of organic sort of fleshy, but more durable than actual flesh, sorts of material. Which is why I called out muscle fibers specifically as that's about as close as I can think of as an irl substance.
    Admittedly, I'd understand if we can't just leap straight to something like that. But I was hoping the reaction to "you can't do that yet" would be like how Xihirli sometimes did in the previous game and just told us what the steps to get there would be.

@flappeercraft: Until you explained, I just figured it was a beginning stage of a martial art. Since what you describe seems to skip all the way past developing a complex martial style and straight to the "so skilled it's basically magic" type of stuff.
    That said, I do like the idea of martial arts for ants.

Edit: I will admit the distinct similarity between what we're both trying to do. As we're both trying to indicate what we're trying to achieve with a concept rather than state it in a step by step way. (In my case just because I don't know what the initial steps would need to be.)
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-05-06 at 09:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

@flappeercraft: Until you explained, I just figured it was a beginning stage of a martial art. Since what you describe seems to skip all the way past developing a complex martial style and straight to the "so skilled it's basically magic" type of stuff.
    That said, I do like the idea of martial arts for ants.

Edit: I will admit the distinct similarity between what we're both trying to do. As we're both trying to indicate what we're trying to achieve with a concept rather than state it in a step by step way. (In my case just because I don't know what the initial steps would need to be.)
    Well yes and no. Part of the whole Hamon thing is that its a special type of energy that is used with a martial art. I'm just laying down the groundwork in the martial and seeing how feasible the more mundane powers of the energy thing are feasible right now. The examples I gave being probably the more feasible ones since pain numbing, slightly faster healing and zoom punch are the least magical of the abilities. Especially since both of those and actually many more things can be even explained via basically controlled adrenaline rushes (which breathing coincidentally helps control). Also, yes I checked and insects do have adrenaline.

For reference the following are stuff that happen via adrenaline rushes. Pain numbing, increased heart rate, metabolism, heightened senses, higher strength and decreased fatigue. So it could be feasible to do some of this stuff just not to big extents.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

-Research Power
    -Capture Tree-Hopper Eggs
    -Get Food

Dave is going to help researching power, watching over stuff just in case, but this time specifically focussing on why his touch made things better for the power research.

(I don't think capturing these jumpy-jumps for cattle is going to be all that easy or feasible given our current tech; I think a better idea might be domesticating them as mounts... then turning them into a potential food source.)
    Xykon's not Evil. He just get bored really easily. And he doesn't have constructive hobbies.
    Spoiler: Gen/Degen
    Show
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your signature and add one.
    Degeneration 92
    The first time you see this, copy it into your signature and subtract one.
    Spoiler: Super Secret Awesome Point Counter
    Show

Iceseer - 3

HUGS FOR ALL!
    Spoiler: I be an awesome pokemon
    Show

Spoiler: Le Quotes on le topic of Me
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    You're a perfect person.
    Isn't Socksy adorabibbles?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel like an enclosure would be easier to handle than advanced animal husbandry.
    How big are these hoppers, anyway?
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I'm good with eliminating Xihirli. I'm not sure how she has managed to live as long as she has.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceseer View Post
    I really wanted what Xihirli said to be true though.
    That was a lot of awesome backstabbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

My thought was that if we raised some from eggs they would get used to us faster than trying to tame wild ones and we could work our way up to milking/riding, whichever you prefer.
    Also have you looked them up? Some of them look wild.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

I thought I recalled how they looked, but checked at your words and... yeah. Very unusual looking in a lot of the pictures I saw.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Research Power
    Gather Food

Antitan will establish a rotating watch at the outpost locations he discovered. The safety of queen and hive is the first priority.

I agree with BrutalZandax, raising them ourselves is probably easier than taming them. We should make sure to keep them in a seperate area of the nest that is easily isolated, just in case they turn out to be dangerous after all.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

- Research Power!
    - Gather Food
    - Climb the tree to survey the surrounding area!

Zektak will study the Power Orb for that dimmer glow, odd sound and Dave's soothing touch. He'll try to rope Dave into helping this research.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

- Research Power!
    - Gather Food
    - Climb the tree to survey the surrounding area!

Antigone goes exploring with Fiona, with the intent of character growth!
    Whether loved or hated, all characters die. A minority opinion holds that the righteous ones are really just Put on a Bus until the head writer's son gets back from his coffee break.

Thank you Honest Tiefling for this Rocking Avatar, Man I like that Tiefling.

"Sorry I couldnít get on yesterday, personal stuff happened. Why are we lynching a boat?"

15. - Top - End - #105
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ant-Eye will help research power, and in doing so see if he can form a connection to the Great Tree.

1: Investigate tree hoppers (especially as a food source)
    2: Investigate walking sticks (especially as noble mounts to ride into battle)
    3: Research POWER!

I am not really changing anything.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    How big are these hoppers, anyway?
    They are bigger than you, about twice your length, but still small in comparison to the walking sticks.

- - - Updated - - -

@Sniccups/BrutalZandax: I'm thinking kind of more in the style of sci-fi alien biotech where you see structures/space-ships made of organic sort of fleshy, but more durable than actual flesh, sorts of material. Which is why I called out muscle fibers specifically as that's about as close as I can think of as an irl substance.
    Admittedly, I'd understand if we can't just leap straight to something like that. But I was hoping the reaction to "you can't do that yet" would be like how Xihirli sometimes did in the previous game and just told us what the steps to get there would be.
    Sorry, but you'll need way more understanding of biology for that. At the least, you should understand what proteins are and how they work. Even that's assuming you have the right type of magic.

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    Well yes and no. Part of the whole Hamon thing is that its a special type of energy that is used with a martial art. I'm just laying down the groundwork in the martial and seeing how feasible the more mundane powers of the energy thing are feasible right now. The examples I gave being probably the more feasible ones since pain numbing, slightly faster healing and zoom punch are the least magical of the abilities. Especially since both of those and actually many more things can be even explained via basically controlled adrenaline rushes (which breathing coincidentally helps control). Also, yes I checked and insects do have adrenaline.

For reference the following are stuff that happen via adrenaline rushes. Pain numbing, increased heart rate, metabolism, heightened senses, higher strength and decreased fatigue. So it could be feasible to do some of this stuff just not to big extents.
    Tell you what, I'll let you make this as explicit hero traits later on - I have some magic planned that is perfect for this. I'll even give JoJoAnt a bonus to learning this due to his great success this turn.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

My Nexus character

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    Tell you what, I'll let you make this as explicit hero traits later on - I have some magic planned that is perfect for this. I'll even give JoJoAnt a bonus to learning this due to his great success this turn.
    Kinda figured it would be like that. Well at least I have martial arts for now that I will be able to eventually combine with magic.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Turn 2: First Time Leaving the Hive

Actions
    -Research Power
    -Capture treehopper eggs
    -Get food

JoJoAnt works with a few other ants to discover the vulnerabilities in an antís body. He discovers that joints tend to be the weakest points in an exoskeleton.

Zektak, Dave, Theoanta, Antimony, and Ant-Eye all end up in the Power Chamber. The Power Orb starts to glow slightly brighter.

Dave, Zektak, and Theoanta attempt to figure out why the orb was calmed down by a touch from Dave. They discover that touching the Power Orb causes it to stop whatever odd thing it is doing - for example, the swirling patterns it has in its core sometimes will disappear, returning it to uniform gold. Zektak conjectures that it can ďsenseĒ a familiar power from a a hero.

Antimony does not manage to increase her own power.

Ant-Eye doesnít have any particular insights into the Great Tree.

Antitan establishes a patrol around the entrance to the colony.

Fiona and Antigone, the two Speedsters, decide to walk east for a while. They climb over the roots of the Great Tree and, after several hours of bushwhacking in the undergrowth and clambering over the roots of a few nearby trees, come out on the bank of a stream wider than a hundred ants are long. Following the stream backwards proves that it actually runs west to east, south of the Great Tree, until it turns northward around where Fiona and Antigone happened upon it.

On the way back, Fiona notices a large shadow in the canopy of a tree near the colony. It seems to be shaped like a vast creature with four limbs, but it does not move - in fact, it just seems to hang there.

Research Power
    Success, Power +4
    First Power Trait achieved! See below for options.

Capture treehopper eggs
    You discover that treehoppers lay their eggs inside tiny holes they cut into the plants they live on. Several successful missions to obtain these eggs are carried out, and you now have eggs that will hatch into 1 Size of treehoppers in two more turns.

Get food
    This goes similarly to last time, and you manage to gather some scraps. Food +2

2 Food consumed
    +2 Size from Growth

Begin Voting!

Spoiler: Power Traits
    Show

Fire- Control of the flames. I would not recommend this, seeing as any mistake would set the undergrowth in flames.

Lightning- A strange energy. You would probably need either higher Skill or quite a lot of experimentation to figure out how to use this effectively.

Cold- The opposite of Fire. No one in this jungle, yourselves included, have ever experienced this sort of thing. (It's a jungle, so it's in the tropics.)

Earth- Control of the ground and its materials. May be useful for colony construction, but you can do that with just antpower.

LOCKED- You need higher Skill for this.

LOCKED- You need higher Skill for this.

Air- Control of the atmosphere and the winds. Likely is able to synergize with most other magic.

Sound- An odd ability that doesn't seem very antlike, but that might just mean that no one expects it.

Motion- Control over the movement of objects. Can help you with science, but also requires quite a lot of knowledge to develop beyond the basics.

Water- Control of the streams, lakes, rivers, and any other water you may find. Also the rain, which is nice because this is a rainforest.

Life- Control over the form and growth of living things. Similarly to Motion, this can help you with research but requires more knowledge to go beyond the basics.

LOCKED- You need a particular science for this.

Void- Possibly the strangest power of all, this is the power of nothingness. You honestly don't know what this could do.

LOCKED- You need higher skill to even think about this.

Mind- Psionic powers, basically. Probably helps you be more organized due to direct connections between minds.

Sense- Abilities relating to the senses. Both illusions and the opposite are part of this.

Arcane- Abilities relating to pure, unchanged magic. Probably also helps with learning other abilities.
    Last edited by Sniccups; 2019-05-11 at 08:23 AM.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

My Nexus character

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, we have enough food that I'm okay leaving that be for now.

I vote the middle one for Power Traits. If there's an even number we'll figure it out I'm sure.

Actions:
    -Excavate further tunnels to create more space for our food
    -Search along the riverbanks to map the area (with pheremones)
    -

I have nothing for the third one and will probably add that in when I come back tomorrow to look at the Power Traits.

Edit: I am voting we conquer the void.

ADVENTURE! Fiona will investigate the creature!
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-05-11 at 09:15 AM.
    Show
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    I'm good with eliminating Xihirli. I'm not sure how she has managed to live as long as she has.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Actions:
    -Research Power

I will abstain from voting on the power trait until we get descriptions of what each does. I wonder if this time we will stay with mostly elemental power traits like last time or have different theme. Perhaps elemental and other? It would be nice to see stuff like Time Trait or Space Trait.

JoJoAnt will begin to research for a secret power trait. Details in PM to sniccups.

Power Vote: Life
    Last edited by flappeercraft; 2019-05-11 at 10:17 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Antimony continues trying to increase her power.

-Power Research
    -Make Food Storage

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

-Power Research
    -Make Food Storage

Antigone heads the campaign to Cartogrifacate the riverbanks.

Edit: Antigone is a member of the proud Antigonos family, and this whole exploring thing was encouraged by her parents to get out of the house, as she's somewhat of a black sheep for the family.
    Last edited by kinglinus1; 2019-05-10 at 07:24 PM.
    Whether loved or hated, all characters die. A minority opinion holds that the righteous ones are really just Put on a Bus until the head writer's son gets back from his coffee break.

"Sorry I couldnít get on yesterday, personal stuff happened. Why are we lynching a boat?"

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Fiona is just happy to be here.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm betting the creature is a sloth. If it is, be careful that they occasionally eat insects if they manage to catch them.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

They canít get me. Iím too good.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    They canít get me. Iím too good.
    That's what they all say

27. - Top - End - #117
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

-Power Research
    -Make Food Storage

Theoanta will climb the Great Tree to find out more about it.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    That's what they all say
    *SaidPost minimum

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

- Research Power!
    - Make Food Storage
    - Search along the riverbanks to map the area, with pheremones!

Zektak tries to see if he can use the Power Orb to extend his senses to detect other familiar ants, even if that is likely limited to just the Power Orb room for now.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

-Get food

So far, we've barely scratched even with food, but the hive is growing. We can't afford to slack on that one yet.

Antitan will accompany Fiona in investigating the creature.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology