The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: The Rise of Ants 2: The Jungle!

Vannethia, the Golden Horde

Size 26, Growth 2, Offense 4, Defense 4, Speed 4, Skill 8, Power 16
    Skill Research 8/15
    Power Research 16/27
    Food 13/20

Colony
    Power Chamber- Holds your Power Source. Actions can be spent to do Research on the source to unlock new Power Traits.
    Central Hive- Includes the Queen's chamber, the resting areas, and the central tunnel leading to the surface. All other sections of the Colony branch off from here.
    Soldier Warren- Soldiers rest and train here, located higher up along the central tunnel to allow early reaction to attacks on the Hive.
    Food Storage- Can currently hold 20 food.
    Pit Traps- Protective traps dug around the entrance.
    Watch Posts- Regular patrols of the immediate area are based out of these.
    Treehoppers- You have 1 size of treehoppers, hatched and raised in the hive. Feeding them requires either a hive action or 3 hero actions until you figure out a way to stop them from leaving.
    Garden Plot- You have planted seeds and transplanted sprouts here, which will be grown and usable in 1 turn.

Discoveries
    Power Source- A perfect, bright golden orb that emits strange magical energies, located in your Power Chamber. Allows you to research Power. You now know how to avert the effects of failure during research, so even a critical failure won’t cause anything bad to happen.
    Great Tree- The colony is built underneath an enormous, beautiful tree, larger than those around it and surrounded by undergrowth. The entrance to your colony is between two of its roots, with the main trunk to the north of the entrance. Apparently has the potential to boost magic effects using your Life powers.
    Treehoppers- Small creatures that look like leaves at a distance and move around by jumping. They live high on the tree, as well as on the smaller plants around it, where they drink sap by piercing the plant with their mouthparts. They secrete a sweet fluid sometimes.
    You have now discovered that baby treehoppers (nymphs) look exactly like smaller adults, unlike ant larvae, and molt periodically.
    Walking Sticks- The other type of insect that lives on your tree, these are far larger than you or the treehoppers and are indistinguishable from sticks while they stand still.
    Stream- Wider across than the length of a hundred ants, this stream is south of the Great Tree. It flows from west to east, and was discovered to turn northward after a while by Fiona and Antigone. You have now marked its banks with pheromones.
    New discoveries by Antigone show that it flows northeast for quite some time, farther than a turn’s journey.
    Sloth- An enormous creature that is located in a neighboring tree. It has four limbs with three claws on each, gray-green fur, and does not like to move very much.
    Klaffet- Another hive of ants that live in a tree far to the north-northeast. Antigone is the only one to know about them or have interacted with them, but she has actually talked to them and gone into the hive. It is a roughly spherical mass of leaves woven together with silk, and it is inhabited by small red ants. They have a Power Source, which is red-orange and is not a sphere.
    Heliconia- A strange plant with even stranger, yet beautiful flowers that look like red beaks or claws.. You can plant its seeds if you want.

Biological Traits
    Appearance: You used to look like most other ants, with black chitin and three rings of golden yellow around the abdomen.
    After gaining Life powers, your black chitin has started to turn more towards green. Your golden stripes, however, remain unaffected.
    Swarm- Doubles the outcome of an action, positive or negative. 3 turn cooldown.

Skill Traits
    Rudimentary Tools- Some workers have begun using small objects (sticks, rocks, etc) as tools to help them work more effectively.
    Growing- You can plant and grow seeds, and then harvest the plants.

Power Traits
    Life (lesser) - You have an increased rapport with the growth and form of the life around you - and this jungle is teeming with life. You gain a 50% bonus to all food gathered or produced.

Hero Traits
    Strengthen Self- Using your Life powers, you can strengthen your chitin and muscles to double your Attack or Armor, or gain a 50% bonus to both. Currently known by JoJoAnt and Antitan.
    Untiring- Thanks to your Life power, you can go for extended periods of time without food or rest. When traveling long distances, this can effectively double your Speed due to no longer needing to stop. Currently known by JoJoAnt and Fiona.

Heroes - In Hive
    JoJoAnt: Soldier - Health 6, Attack 3, Armor 2, Speed 2, Skill 1, Power 1
    Ant-Eye Aircraft Weaponry: Power Seeker - Health 5, Attack 1, Armor 1, Speed 3, Skill 2, Power 3
    Antimony: Power Seeker - Health 5, Attack 1, Armor 1, Speed 3, Skill 2, Power 3
    Dave Foreici Espimoda: Pit Boss - Health 6, Attack 1, Armor 2, Speed 2, Skill 3, Power 1
    Antitan: Guardian - Health 8, Attack 1, Armor 3, Speed 1, Skill 1, Power 1
    Theoanta: Generalist - Health 6, Attack 2, Armor 2, Speed 2, Skill 2, Power 1
    Zektak: Power Seeker - Health 5, Attack 1, Armor 1, Speed 3, Skill 2, Power 3

Heroes - Outside Hive
    Antigone: Speedster - Health 5, Attack 2, Armor 1, Speed 4, Skill 2, Power 1 - Klaffet, 2 turns travel north-northeast
    Fiona: Speedster - Health 5, Attack 2, Armor 1, Speed 4, Skill 2, Power 1 - 1 turn travel northeast
    Last edited by Sniccups; 2019-05-31 at 07:27 PM.
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

- Research Power
    - Research Skill
    - Feed treehopper nymphs
    - Gather Food

Antimony will join in on experimenting with Life power.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Turn 7: Allies?

Actions
    -Research Power
    -Research Skill
    -Feed hoppers
    -Gather food

JoJoAnt teaches Untiring to Fiona, and Strengthen Self to Antitan.

Dave and Theoanta help with skill research.

Zektak and Antimony focus Life power at whatever they can find. They discover that they can make minor adjustments to the shape of a piece of living matter, which Zektak tests by curling a thin leaf into a tube and altering an ant’s exoskeleton to have some cool ridges on top. He doesn’t figure out any way to get a practical effect out of this, and Antimony suspects that they might need more Life power to do so.

While staying in Klaffet, Antigone decides to bring up the prospect of an alliance.
    “So how about we become allies?”
    “What would we need to be allies for? We don’t have any enemies.”
    “Could we at least agree not to be each others’ enemies?”
    “Sure.”

Research Power
    Failure, any negative effects nullified by your procedures from last turn

Research Skill
    Failure

Feed treehopper nymphs
    The nymphs are fed. They’re getting quite large now, and are bigger than even the largest ant among you.

Gather food
    Great success! Food +9

3 Food consumed
    +2 Size from Growth

Begin Voting!
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

- Research Power
    - Research Skill
    - Feed treehopper nymphs
    - Gather Food

Antigone suggests sending a diplomat from both of the hives to the other, so that the two hives can communicate much better, at the very least.
    Last edited by kinglinus1; 2019-05-31 at 06:13 PM.
    Whether loved or hated, all characters die. A minority opinion holds that the righteous ones are really just Put on a Bus until the head writer's son gets back from his coffee break.

Thank you Honest Tiefling for this Rocking Avatar, Man I like that Tiefling.

"Sorry I couldn’t get on yesterday, personal stuff happened. Why are we lynching a boat?"

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Right. Now that they're not expecting it we kill them all.

Fiona is going to embark on a TRULY Fantastic (f)Journey of Fiona to seek a way around the stream. She will travel to the banks of the stream and follow the flow toward the end of it, using her new power to sustain herself where she cannot forage.

(Following the Flow for a Fantastic (f)Journey of Fiona)

EDIT: Oh, and

- Research Power
    - Research Skill
    - Feed treehopper nymphs
    - Gather Food

Is fine with me.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-05-27 at 10:22 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I'm good with eliminating Xihirli. I'm not sure how she has managed to live as long as she has.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceseer View Post
    I really wanted what Xihirli said to be true though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    That was a lot of awesome backstabbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

- Research Power
    - Research Skill
    - Feed treehopper nymphs
    - Gather Food

Theoanta will Experiment with life power to try and make a healing spell.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

- Research Power
    - Research Skill
    - Feed treehopper nymphs
    - Gather Food

JoJoAnt will work with theoanta and help

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

]- Research Power
    - Research Skill
    - Feed treehopper nymphs
    - Gather Food

Dave will work on skill research, after idly doodling an octohedron in the dirt.
    Xykon's not Evil. He just get bored really easily. And he doesn't have constructive hobbies.
    Spoiler: Gen/Degen
    Show
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your signature and add one.
    Degeneration 92
    The first time you see this, copy it into your signature and subtract one.
    Spoiler: Super Secret Awesome Point Counter
    Show

Iceseer - 3

HUGS FOR ALL!
    Spoiler: I be an awesome pokemon
    Show

Spoiler: Le Quotes on le topic of Me
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    You're a perfect person.
    Isn't Socksy adorabibbles?

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

-Research Power
    -Research Skill
    -Feed treehopper nymphs
    -Expand Food Stores

Antimony will try to find some interesting plants for us to grow with our growing skill

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

- Gather food
    - feed treehopper nymphs
    - Research skill
    - Research power

Antitan is intrigued by Zektak's and Antimony's findings, especially the ability to shape the exoskeleton of living ants. He starts to experiment with shaping parts that could be useful as weapons or tools. He does realize that the powers are not strong enough yet to make these shapes useful, but he wants to start developing upgrades that would increase an ants efficiency if they could be made larger and/or sturdier. He's willing to experiment on himself in developing defensive spikes and ridges on his body.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

- Research Power
    - Research Skill
    - Feed treehopper nymphs
    - Expand Food Stores

Zektak finds Antitan's activities intruiging and assists. Especially with the part "experiment on Antitan".

12. - Top - End - #222
    Barbarian in the Playground

My official in-world reasoning for not being available is that, excited about his newfound botany powers, Ant-Eye Aircraft Weaponry tried to spend two turns reading The Martian for inspiration, eventually giving up when he remembered that he couldn't get access to the book because he was in the jungle and he didn't know how to read anyway. With that said...
    - Research Power
    - Research Skill
    - Feed treehopper nymphs
    - Gather Food

A somewhat embarrassed Ant-Eye will redouble his efforts to create wards, possibly incorporating Antimony's exotic plants and other nearby flora into his designs.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    Antigone suggests sending a diplomat from both of the hives to the other, so that the two hives can communicate with each other whenever they need to.
    Just so you know, it will take several turns for the news from one hive to reach the other. It took Antigone two turns' travel to get there, and Antigone is especially fast.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

My Nexus character

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Turn 8: Odd Flowers

Actions
    -Research Power
    -Research Skill
    -Feed treehopper nymphs
    -Gather food

Dave helps with skill research.

Antimony travels a little ways from the hive - and, behind the tree where the sloth was (and might still be) she sees a strange and beautiful plant. It has large, bright red and orange flower-like things on either side of a hanging part, which really look like beaks or claws. Antimony immediately looks in the flowers, and discovers seeds to plant.
    (Look up Heliconia lobster-claw flowers. They’re weird and beautiful.)

Ant-Eye does not make too much progress on wards, although he does see the new plant as something to work on for future turns.

JoJoAnt and Theoanta do not manage to develop a healing ability.

Zektak and Antitan do not figure out any uses of the ability to adjust the shape of living material, but Zektak does fashion Antitan’s exoskeleton into some cool points.

Fiona travels away from the hive to the northeast, taking much the same path as Antigone did several turns back. Due to her Untiring ability, though, she is able to travel through day and night, and goes farther than Antigone could in one turn. The stream continues its meandering path to the northeast for quite some time, and Fiona never discovers a path across it. She does, however, get a feeling that there is a way across the stream that is easily accessible from the hive, that no one has bothered to try yet.

Antigone decides to suggest sending diplomats between the two hives. It is decided that Antigone likely should go with the first round in order to introduce the other Vannethians to the fact that Klaffet exists. However, the journey will take quite a while, at 5 turns rather than 2. (See the spoiler at the end for the math here.)

Research Power
    Success! Power +4
    New Power Trait reached! See below for options.

Research Skill
    Success, Skill +2

Feed treehopper nymphs
    After feeding them, the nymphs molt once again, and emerge at their full size! Your treehoppers are now fully grown. (They still need to be fed.)

Gather food
    Failure

3 Food consumed
    +2 Size from Growth

Begin Voting!

Spoiler: Power Traits
    Show

Life, moderate- The next level in your Life abilities, this would vastly increase your ability to shape and control the life around you.

Fire- Control of the flames. I would not recommend this, seeing as any mistake would set the undergrowth in flames.

Lightning- A strange energy. You would probably need either higher Skill or quite a lot of experimentation to figure out how to use this effectively.

Cold- The opposite of Fire. No one in this jungle, yourselves included, have ever experienced this sort of thing. (It's a jungle, so it's in the tropics.)

Earth- Control of the ground and its materials. May be useful for colony construction, but you can do that with just antpower.

LOCKED- You need a Skill Trait for this.

LOCKED- You need a Skill Trait for this.

Air- Control of the atmosphere and the winds. Likely is able to synergize with most other magic.

Sound- An odd ability that doesn't seem very antlike, but that might just mean that no one expects it.

Motion- Control over the movement of objects. Can help you with science, but also requires quite a lot of knowledge to develop beyond the basics.

Water- Control of the streams, lakes, rivers, and any other water you may find. Also the rain, which is nice because this is a rainforest.

LOCKED- You need a particular science for this.

Void- Possibly the strangest power of all, this is the power of nothingness. You honestly don't know what this could do.

LOCKED- You need higher skill to even think about this.

Mind- Psionic powers, basically. Probably helps you be more organized due to direct connections between minds.

Sense- Abilities relating to the senses. Both illusions and the opposite are part of this.

Arcane- Abilities relating to pure, unchanged magic. Probably also helps with learning other abilities.

Spoiler: New game mechanics that I finally figured out
    Show
    I finally figured out a way to compare hero stats to the stats of normal ants. (This was necessary because travel times are starting to become important, and the Speed stat has a large effect there.) The formula goes:
    True stat = base stat * (1 + (0.5 * (hero stat - 1)))
    where “base stat” is the number listed in the colony description.
    Basically, that means that a hero stat of 1 is the same as the stat of an average ant of your colony, and every additional point adds half of that.
    For example, a hero’s Speed stat of 4 is 2.5 times that of a normal ant, so with the current base stat of 4 the hero effectively has a 10. This is how I calculated the travel time for a normal ant between Vannethia and Klaffet.
    Last edited by Sniccups; 2019-05-31 at 07:26 PM.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

My Nexus character

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

-Research Power
    -Research Skill
    -Feed treehopper nymphs
    -Gather food

Vote: Moderate Life

JoJoant works on the healing trait again.

Question: Are there no hero level ups now or are they just more uncommon?

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

-Research Power
    -Research Skill
    -Feed treehopper nymphs
    -Gather food

Preferetial Voting:
    Arcane (power is cool!)
    Life [moderate] (because bioengineering)
    Void (because void)

Dave will continue to help with skill.
    Xykon's not Evil. He just get bored really easily. And he doesn't have constructive hobbies.
    Show
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your signature and add one.
    Degeneration 92
    Show

Iceseer - 3

HUGS FOR ALL!
    Show

Show

You're a perfect person.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

- Gather Food
    - Feed Treehopper Nymphs
    - Research Skill (Edit: with the power of the swarm, if available)
    - Research Power

Antitan will start combat drills for ant soldiers. He will look out for especially talented fighters among them, marking them as possible candidates for a future elite squad.
    Last edited by Morgaln; 2019-06-03 at 11:04 AM.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

My Power vote is

Life, moderate

Question: Did those plants we grew for the nymphs come in this turn?
    Show
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    I'm good with eliminating Xihirli. I'm not sure how she has managed to live as long as she has.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    Zektak and Antitan do not figure out any uses of the ability to adjust the shape of living material, but Zektak does fashion Antitan’s exoskeleton into some cool points.
    I count that as a success!

- Research Power!
    - Research Skill
    - Feed treehopper nymphs
    - Research Healing!

Zektak walks over to JoJoAnt to show how it's done with developing Healing! Trying to take the lead in the research as Power Seeker, he works with JoJoAnt and any other (hero) ant to develop sweet healing powers. Which ofcourse has a larger chance of success if the Moderate Life vote wins, but if this succeeds, he'll claim the glory anyway!

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

-Research Power
    -Research Skill
    -Feed treehopper nymphs
    -Gather Food

Power: Life, moderate

Antimony will experiment with the new power. Assuming it's Life (moderate), she'll try to use it to grow wings. Otherwise just general experimentation.

@Everyone: If we get food this next round, we should really expand our food stores next round.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

-Research Power
    -Research Skill
    -Feed treehopper nymphs
    -Gather food

Antigone does the thing. Is it 5 one way, or both?

Void!
    Whether loved or hated, all characters die. A minority opinion holds that the righteous ones are really just Put on a Bus until the head writer's son gets back from his coffee break.

Thank you Honest Tiefling for this Rocking Avatar, Man I like that Tiefling.

"Sorry I couldn’t get on yesterday, personal stuff happened. Why are we lynching a boat?"

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

-Research Power
    -Research Skill
    -Feed treehoppers (they aren't nymphs any more)
    -Gather food

Theoanta will explore the canopy of the trees around the base.

Vote: Life, moderate
    Last edited by BrutalZandax; 2019-06-01 at 01:15 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    Question: Are there no hero level ups now or are they just more uncommon?
    I'm so sorry, I don't know how I forgot that! Heroes get to level up this turn!
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

My Nexus character

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quick question- how does skill affect heroes?
    Show
    Generation 4
    Degeneration 92
    Show

Iceseer - 3

HUGS FOR ALL!
    Show

Show

You're a perfect person.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    I'm so sorry, I don't know how I forgot that! Heroes get to level up this turn!
    You might want to just hold off on that until next round so people don't miss that. And you might want to state the rules for that too. Since I don't remember the old rules for it and I don't know if you want to do things a bit differently this time around.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Yea just hold off on the level up til next round, I don't remember it either.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

You might want to just hold off on that until next round so people don't miss that. And you might want to state the rules for that too. Since I don't remember the old rules for it and I don't know if you want to do things a bit differently this time around.
    All right. Heroes level up next turn, with an explanation of how that works forthcoming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Question: Did those plants we grew for the nymphs come in this turn?
    That's this coming turn.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

My Nexus character

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Right then! Let's go.

-Research Power
    -Research Skill
    -Feed treehoppers
    -Gather food

The Fantastic fJourneys of Fiona shall continue following the stream the long way around.

Vote: Life, moderate
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Eternis View Post
    Quick question- how does skill affect heroes?
    ... I am so sorry. Skill gives a bonus to your hero's roll to help with any kind of skill-based or scientific research, which I have not been figuring in for the last few turns. If I had, Dave would have undoubtedly had more success in helping with skill research. I will make a note to factor that in for future turns.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

My Nexus character

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    Antigone does the thing. Is it 5 one way, or both?
    It's 5 turns one way. This is for normal ants, though, not a Speedster hero - so if Antigone is going alone, it will take only 2 turns, like it did the first time. Are you taking any Klaffese ants with you?
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

My Nexus character